• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The 'New' Nintendo 3DS is great... and also the worst electronic product I've bought in years

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
(Looks like the post that I was originally writing for this thread was eaten. Ah well. ;_;)

I just wanted to share my two cents and say that I bought a New 3DS XL about a month or so ago and I've been really enjoying it. The improved 3D functionality is a blessing, the system is indeed very comfortable to hold, and I'm loving the extra power. Smash Bros. 3DS plays and runs great, and I personally can notice the subtle graphical upgrade. :)

My only real grumbles with the thing are that the stylus placement feels unnatural and I wish it had stayed on the side, and that taking the back plate off is a ridiculous process that could have been handled far, far better... So basically the same gripes as everyone else. :p

Since my PC has a SD/microSD card port built into it I was able to use the "Transfer via PC" option when upgrading to the New 3DS XL. I highly recommend that option to anyone who can take advantage of it because not only is it the most secure transfer method (apparently only licences get transferred verses actual game data), it also drastically reduces the length of the transfer time. Not counting how long it took me to get the back off the XL to swap in my 32 GB microSD card, the actual transfer process took me 25 minutes max - possibly less. My original 16 GB SD card was basically full so I can only imagine how long the transfer would have taken with one of the other methods. Copying the data over from one SD card to another via your PC is very easy to do, too. Just don't muck about with the files and you're golden.

I think that even now, the pros and cons regarding whether to upgrade to the New 3DS/XL or keep using your current 3DS/XL/2DS are about the same. I personally appreciate the new handheld for allowing me to play Xenoblade 3D and to use my Amiibo on Smash Bros. 3DS, and the improved 3D has been a lovely bonus, but if none of the above interest you then there's still no proper reason to upgrade. That being said, if all you currently own is a standard 3DS or 2DS then definitely go for the New 3DS XL if you're wanting a screen size upgrade. It's more than worth the extra cost over a 3DS XL. :up:

Awesome! Every time I see you go on your new 3ds xl on my friend list I see u playing Xenoblade Chronicles and I play SSB and Pokemon Omega Ruby but in total of all my games that I have for 3ds, Wii, etc I have over 30 games I have almost 40 now and the next Pokemon games will be announced later this month can't wait!