• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Things released in your lifetime you enjoyed post popularity

I'm always interested in this. There have been so many good films, television shows, books, music and video games released over my lifetime, and many of these have often passed me by, despite their popularity. It could have been that I simply wasn't interested, or that I wanted to go against the grain. However, sometimes I've 'discovered' something a while after its release and really enjoyed it.

My main example would be the IT Crowd. I remember its popularity, but I never really thought of watching it. However, I finally got into it this year and it's been amazing. I particularly like the subtle references, such as Moss playing Counter Strike: Source. Other example are The US Office (technically it's still going, but it had lost a lot of its popularity when I started watching from season 1) and Scrubs.

In terms of video games, the main thing is probably the collection of Ambassador GBA games I got on my 3DS, particularly Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. It's great how well those games hold up after a decade. Film-wise, it's probably Lord of the Rings. I read the books before watching the films (I'm probably in the minority there, at least among my generation!), and it was great to see middle-earth come alive. It's been the same experience with The Hobbit.

Please post your own examples, I'd be very interested to see what you guys have to say!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Things released in your lifetime you enjoyed post popula

I think most of my examples of this would be certain Anime series that I picked up late. Wolf's Rain is a good example. There was a lot of buzz about the show when it originally aired but I never had the opportunity to see it. You rarely hear/see it mentioned by Anime fans now but it was always on my mind as one of those "must see" shows, so when I found the complete series boxed set selling cheap at an expo I decided to pick it up. I'm glad that I did. The show was likely a tad overrated at the height of its popularity but it's still pretty good, and I'm definitely enjoying watching through it now.

I'm trying to think of some books or video games that I could mention but none are immediately coming to mind. Maybe Okami, but even that was still fairly popular when I first played it.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

Toastie said:
In terms of video games, the main thing is probably the collection of Ambassador GBA games I got on my 3DS, particularly Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. It's great how well those games hold up after a decade.
In all honesty, I would never say that the Fire Emblem franchise was "popular". Especially not back when Sacred Stones first came out, seeing as it was only the second port of the franchise and the first one was not harolded too heavily by Nintendo. I bought Sacred Stones for the GBA, but that was simply because the battle style was similar to Advance Wars and it had the whole knights & mages thing going on. Fire Emlbem has gotten a bit bigger now (with Awakening actually getting pretty big praise currently), but it will really continue to be smaller.

As for things that I go into after the fact. Arrested Development. I remember watching a few episodes when it was first on the air, but not really getting the humor. I watched it again when I was older and was floored by how amazing it is. Now I cannot wait for next month when they release season 4 and then the movie at some point in the future.

I also missed out on a lot of music earlier in this decade that I am now really into. There is far too much for me to even go into detail on all of it, sadly.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Personally, I started listening to Hey There Delilah(and the Plain White Tees in general) after everyone else got bored of them, but that's pretty par for the course with me. Even things like fashion, I tend to wear last season's stuff because by that time, everyone else has gotten bored of wearing it so I seem unique in my choices.

I picked up the StarCraft series around 11-12 years late. I'd say no regrets, but I was 11-12 years too late! D:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

I'm usually one of those people that's either there from the very start (as with Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Skyrim, Bioshock etc) or super far behind (as with Naruto, The Inbetweeners, Minecraft etc)

Toastie said:
Film-wise, it's probably Lord of the Rings. I read the books before watching the films (I'm probably in the minority there, at least among my generation!), and it was great to see middle-earth come alive. It's been the same experience with The Hobbit.
I read LotR when I was nine so I'd forgotten half of the story by the time it came to the film. I think it worked out quite nicely that way, as even though I knew the general story it was still exciting and new to watch :)

Well, one good example for me would be Avatar: The Last Airbender. I didn't watch one episode until around the time that the last four episodes of Book Three: Fire premiered. Also, The Walking Dead, my favorite show, was one I didn't discover until a few months before Season 3 premiered, so I enjoyed the first two seasons way after many people I knew.

For books, there's a lot. Hunger Games, obviously(didn't read them until all three came out), and also The Enemy series, The Ranger's Apprentice Series, The Inheritance Cycle(really late start on that one), and many other books I've read.

Video games? Many. Call of Duty, The Walking Dead Game, Fallout 3, a few Final Fantasy games, etc.

There's many, many more, but these are the ones I could think of right away.