• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Tournament Ideas re-vamped

I thought it would be good to re-vamp this post by bringing it back after a long while.

Soo...... Come on guys lets knock out some ideas for mini tournaments and the league for pre and post gen 5 since we should hopefully be getting it in march *fingers crossed*

I think we should definitely go with the Alphabet soup idea in either a 3 vs 3 battle or 6 vs 6 what are peoples thoughts?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've always been on board for the Alphabet Soup idea, but I think 3 on 3 would be easier for everyone to manage within the school year.

Also, thanks for bringing this up, Bal. I was meaning to myself. :)

Since the winter tournament will be wrapping up in another two weeks tops, I was wondering if we wanted to plan to run a mini-tournament (either the ABC Soup tourney or something else) next month? It could happen early or late February, just as long as it was before B/W are released.

Adding to that, I'm planning to organise a fun tourney to celebrate the release of B/W. Basically, we'd battle with our in-game teams, but you couldn't be further than say Castelia City/the third Gym (somewhere early on, yet not too early). There would be no restrictions to how many Pokemon you used because it'd be solely based on your current team. There would also be no focused EV training or breeding involved, just friendly battles to show off our Unova Pokemon. ^^

As for the League... It seems the general consensus is that people want it to be Gen 4 related. Beyond that I haven't put much thought into it yet, but I wouldn't be against it being doubles since last year's league was singles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Definitely in the camp of this year's league being Gen IV. Gen V tournaments etc throughout the year though, more than happy to get involved with. Especially VGC11 ones.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, I've got two other ideas, one of which that could be reoccuring like the ABC Soup concept.

The first idea is the next winter knockout tournament (December 2011/January 2012) being based on the VGC11 rules, like Alex mentioned. I think by then people will have had more than enough time to train some Gen V Pokemon for competitive.

My second idea is generational tourneys. Basically, we pick a generation to focus on and only battle using Pokemon from it. We could do several tournaments within this style, maybe one for each generation, over the span of a couple of years or more. These tournaments could take place on B/W too. That way people could take advantage of the new attacks introduced in Gen 5.

I actually really like the generation specific idea, i think it would be really interesting to see what teams people will come up with using pokemon from specific generations. I suppose you could focus on a gen each year if you wanted to go down that route.

Also I dont know how you would feel about this but a few websites have this.... the whole Gym leader/Elite four thing. I know we may not have enough people to do it but it would be an interesting thing to get new battlers thinking since most will just purposely make teams to beat that type but may not understand fully that playing the game isnt about that. I am just playing with ideas here but all i know is I got the Ground Gym :p or Ground type Elite Four hehe. It would be interesting cause every year we could have the E4/Champion as the best players in the league and to qualify for the league tournament which we can hold at the end of every year they have to earn the *badges* therefore making sure that they are regular players and have earned there right to play in the league (i know that sounds bad but I think it would be good to do so we can get consistent players and we could help them get better and be active amongst the battling community)

Whats peoples thoughts?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'll be honest, Bal. While the idea has always sounded like fun, having Gym Leaders and an Elite 4 lineup, I've always been wary of it. Even with the nice turnout for the league last summer, the winter tournament signups have reminded me that we're not a huge competitive community. We have a good handful of dedicated battlers, but probably not enough to successfully run something like you're proposing. Chances are that once all of the positions for Gyms and Elite 4 were filled, we'd have nobody left to compete - at the very least, nobody who'd have any hopes of beating our best of the best. :X

I'd also not want to see something like this conflicting with the current league because it'd probably turn more people away than encourage them to take part.

That said... I am not entirely against the idea. If this ran seperate from the summer league and supported itself, it could very well add a new dimension to Organised Play. With Black and White's release we're likely to see an increase in competitive players, so who knows what our numbers will be next year at this time. I'd definitely be willing to help organise something like this if the interest was there. :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
PokemonWorld has a Frontier Brain system of their own where members can earn "Symbols" by defeating the given Frontier Brains in their specific match types, there's two key reasons why such an idea, while undoubtedly well done and effective on PW, probably wouldn't work so well here:

1. Not as many competitive players, which ultimately means less potential Frontier Brains (although admittedly, you don't need a huge number of them.)

2. Greatly varying skill levels between members on 'Charms. While most of the people on PW are on the same or at least a similar level to each other, the ability of competitive players on 'Charms varies far more between the members around. This would likely result in Frontier Brains that are either near-impossible for all but one or two members to defeat, or Brains who are too easy to beat and ultimately end up practically giving away symbols to everyone and their grandma. There isn't really a safe middle-ground with this.

The gym leader/Elite Four idea would require even more people and more organization, which is why I'd go with the Frontier Brain idea if thinking about anything like this. While the idea would be cool if we could get it to work, that's an "if" I doubt we can manage as it stands.

I agree with both of you on this, it was just an idea that i thought might be fun if we got more competitive battlers or...... *great idea* set up a E4/Gym system on each site where each site could act like a continent (if that makes sense) so we can get more links with the sites and have a bit of fun between the UK tournaments and also gives our international competitive battlers a taste of the different styles of battling since each site has their own style as it were. I dunno i think it would be nice to collaborate between the main sites abit more so that smaller battling communities like ours can still enjoy competitive battling but stay with the site.....

What are your thoughts?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still not sure about the E4/Gym system, but I definitely agree that it'd be nice to do more joint WFC tournaments between Pokecharms and Pokemon World. The last one was pretty entertaining, even if we did get beaten. XD

Maybe we could branch out and do more tournaments like that with other websites, too? It'd certainly be fun and, like you mentioned, allow us to battle a wider variety of players while still staying part of (and representing) the Pokecharms community. :)

Yea i understand that its an idea which is a bit out there but I like the idea of each of the sites having like like an E4 if you will which are like the top players on each site and each of the members on the sites try and beat the others and gain the badges and what not but i do want to have website comps between the sites because we are all a bit closer since we have set up the UK Tournaments so it could easily done. I am starting to get slightly irritated because I really enjoy battling but in recent months the battling decreased quite substantially and we have lost new players I think we really need to keep the ball rolling and set up some events regardless of our current size and then if they work they work but if they dont they dont but at least we will have something in the pipe line if that makes sense :).

I would really like to get the battling ball rolling especially when Gen 5 comes out, it will be a new battling scene so hopefully we will get a few more people through the doors and we can really have some fun this side of the site hehe

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Balakai said:
I am starting to get slightly irritated because I really enjoy battling but in recent months the battling decreased quite substantially and we have lost new players I think we really need to keep the ball rolling and set up some events regardless of our current size and then if they work they work but if they dont they dont but at least we will have something in the pipe line if that makes sense :).

To be fair, much of that was due to schools starting back up and the second half of the league lulling to the point of cancellation. The Saturday group meetings have also gotten really slack and, just as I figured originally, we're not really a big enough community to simply meet up at random times for battling and stuff. It's much better when people plan to be available, assuming they can be.

I think if people started making more of an effort to drop by the meetings we'd have a lot more Pokemon gaming going on, meaning a lot more chances for battling. I'd definitely like to see more events happening more often, too, because like you said - even if they don't work out well, we won't know unless we try. The more often we do stuff, the more chances they'll succeed and the more people will have to do.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Totally double posting because I can. :p

If people don't feel like they'll be able to raise Gen V Pokemon competitively until later on in the year, I think it'd be cool if we organised Gen V tournaments that don't require a lot of effort.

One idea is a Baby Battle tourney featuring only Gen V Pokemon. There'd be no EV training necessary, and since TMs are reusable it'd be real easy to slap 'em on to your babies. The only training that would require real effort would be the eggmove breeding and trying to get high level attacks onto your babies - but that wouldn't be necessary in order to compete. Since this would be our first Gen V babies tourney, there would probably be no Pokemon restrictions beyond the usual Baby Battle rules.

That's all I have for now. Anyone else have some ideas? :)