• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

UK Unite, The DS has delivered!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Today I called into GAME on the way home, on the off-chance of picking up a pre-owned game for my Cube or Xbrick and was faced with a completely different surprise.

Sitting there (now at the back thanks to the PSP) at slots number 1 and 2 on the DS game charts were the first of a new era of DS games, the 'real games'.

So, I picked up Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Advance Wars Dual Strike.

I even had to ask the dude at the counter if Advance Wars was definitely out, as I had been completely certain it was to be launched alongside Nintendogs here, out in under a fortnight.

On first impressions, i'm really quite happy. Advance Wars is definitely the best game on the system at the moment - although the game is really quite similar to the last two, not making much use of the DS' unique qualities. Castlevania seems extremely confusing as it relies on you having played one of the various random games in the series but still looks good.

One problem with it is the idea of drawing magic seals, making use of the touch screen. The biggest problem is that you use the buttons for the whole of the rest of the game's functions and having to stop, grab the stylus and doodle this seal not only slows the game down but feels like an uncessary gimmick.

This now gives me a total of 11 DS games, plus my extra Wario Ware Demo and of course Metroid. Marginally less than my Cube library.

So, for all you UK/European DS owners - get your damn asses out there and buy Castlevania DS and Advance Wars DS, both out today.

Then get ready for Nintendogs.

:)