• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Upcoming Mini Tournament: Doubles Mono-type, August 7th

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry. Keep meaning to make a proper wiki page for this but stuff always gets in the way. Time's getting short, so putting the news here for now.

LoN would like to hold another Mono-type mini tournament in August. The date that works best for him is August 7th, so that's what we'll be going with. LoN is in charge, but Magpie, RedRising, and KoL (?) will be assisting (I will too if I'm available). If you took part in the previous Gym-Leader styled mini tournament, you'll want to read over the rule changes:

• Tournament date, time & location: August 7th, 6 PM GMT - #PokecharmsWFC chat
  • Type of tourney: 4vs4 doubles, Mono-type teams
  • Rules: This tournament will follow the banned list of the Standard Competitive Battling Rules but will follow the previous Manchester tournament's clauses. This means we'll be using the standard Item clause (all held items must be unique), Fair Game clause, and Species clause. Sleep clause, the OHKO clause, and Evasion Clause will not be used. Also remember that your team must be mono-type, aka. all Pokemon on the team must share a single type, and you may only use the same 4 Pokemon for the entirety of the tournament.
  • Changes from previous tourney: Non-uber legendaries and Dragon-type teams are no longer banned. Feel free to use them. There is also no restricted list this time 'round.
  • Format of battling: Round Robin. See below for further details.
  • Prizes: By default there are no specific prizes to be won, but you will be offered a custom forum title and have your victory recorded for prosperity. However, if anyone would like to offer up some prizes please contact LoN in advance with the details.

We're expecting a larger turn out than previously, so depending on how many members participate the battling format will vary. If 7 or less people compete, we'll have a single bracket. If 8-10 or more people compete, we'll have two.

For the use of two brackets: Competitors will be randomly placed into one of two brackets. They'll then battle everyone in their bracket in typical round robin fashion. Once all battles are completed and scores are tallied up, the participants who held the highest score within their respective bracket will then battle to determine the overall tournament victor. Tie breaking matches will be held if need be.

That's it. Hope to see lots of different teams this time 'round. ^^

So if anyone is interested in this, just go ahead and post in here and turn up on the day :) We're taking sign ups as a casual thing, just turn up on the day and we'll decide things from there.

I've also got a Wiki page under construction for this, as well. If any of the editors involved with this want to go and jiggle it around a bit, by all means :)

I'm thinking I'll give it a definite revamp, but for now its mostly a copy/paste from here.

YES! Doubles is mah thang, and I'm sure taking part in this ^^ Although, this means I now have to heavily revamp my typical Doubles team for mono-types....

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Tweaked the wiki page slightly, but nothing major (still pretty much a wall of text). Added a quick link to the tournament on the front page of the wiki, too. :)

I probably won't be competing, but hope everyone who does has lots of fun! Thanks again for running this, LoN. If you need any help leading up to the date, let me know and I'll see what I can do. ^^

LoN said:
So if anyone is interested in this, just go ahead and post in here and turn up on the day :) We're taking sign ups as a casual thing, just turn up on the day and we'll decide things from there.
There you go Emma :p

Also another thing it says you have to use the same four pokemon throughout the tournament,

But does the pokemon order have to be the same ?

S

skybird

i would love to compete but do we need to go to a place to battle or is this a wifi battle because i can only compete if this is wifi

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
skybird said:
i would love to compete but do we need to go to a place to battle or is this a wifi battle because i can only compete if this is wifi

It's Wifi. It'll be taking place in the 'Charms wifi chatroom. So if you can get there, you can compete. -^^-

Sir Red said:
skybird said:

It's Wifi. It'll be taking place in the 'Charms wifi chatroom. So if you can get there, you can compete. -^^-
And you can easily get there through this link here:

http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23pokecharm ... emnet.info

So enjoy, hope to see you there :)

(Katie, put this link in the main post?)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Stickied this, and just wanted to remind people that the tourney is coming up very soon.

If you want to take part, be sure to have your teams ready and to show up on the proper day. :)

Hot damn.... Its come round fast... I will have to come up with a team asap will have to see whether I use my ground team again or go for something slightly different lol :p

Note:
Between myself, Katie and KoL, we came to the conclusion to run this tournament without the OHKO, Sleep and Evasion clauses. If you feel like it, you may use a team which would otherwise violate these clauses. We decided on this on the basis that it worked well at the recent Manchester tournament - although, we are keeping to our own 'Charms banlist for the critters such as Latias and Celebi.

I'm gonna tell people at the first meeting today as well, so this is just for those I won't see there. :)

The wiki page has been edited accordingly.

Short version:
Rules that apply to the tournament are: Current 'Charms banlist, Item Clause (One duplicate still allowed), Species Clause, Fair Game Clause. Thats all :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If I recall, the duplicate item wasn't allowed in the mono-doubles - all items had to be unique.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Gerudo Ganon said:
If I recall, the duplicate item wasn't allowed in the mono-doubles - all items had to be unique.

He's right. We just used the standard item clause. I should've made that clearer - it's my bad.

Either way, yeah. By using the Manchester clauses we should probably also use the standard item clause for doubles, too - especially mono-type.

Yea would be good to have you in the tournament to be fair :D also.... we need to have our battle to pretty much decide how things will end in the league :p

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Well boo, there is a strong possibility that I have to work until 8:30PM on the 7th now. I'll let you all know when I know for sure, but obviously it'd be unfair if everyone had to wait for me, so if that does happen I'll have to pull out :(

This is on today guys!

If you're not sure exactly of the time, its starting an hour and a half from the time I've posted this reply - 6pm GMT, same as the standard WFC starts ^^

For us Brits, remember that we're GMT +1 at the moment to avoid confusion. So thats 7pm for us. As for Americans, I believe its at 11am for Pacific, 1pm for Central, 2pm for Eastern. That covers most timezones there I believe...

KoL said I could double post here :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
If you're referring to this tournament, it's over already - like the thread clearly states, this was August 7th. If you're referring to the league itself, please read our sticikies - that'll tell you everything you need to know.