• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly Anime Discussion - You bet your ass there's spoilers

Re: Weekly Anime Discussion - You bet your ass there's spoil

The Don battles are a lot more enjoyable than contests, and if anything are a much better idea, giving the idea that battling is important again, and without us having to see jesse wearing stupid costumes etc.

The battle clubs presented a good idea at the start of the season, but they would have been too repetitive if they'd continued the way they first presented. These don battle tournaments however, do add a new dynamic, and of course, the battle tournament at the start of the victini movies was a really good battle competition, even if emolga did ruin it for iris instantly.

One bit I did just remember, Cilan has done his only good thing in the whole series in a tournament "Fly my Stunfisk!" I'm serious, if he could continue that, maybe with a wailord or magcargo, I'd give him his dues as a good character.

Shame the Druddigon in the next episode won't eat him.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

RLRL said:
The Don battles are a lot more enjoyable than contests, and if anything are a much better idea, giving the idea that battling is important again, and without us having to see jesse wearing stupid costumes etc.

I liked Jessie wearing stupid costumes. :x

I also can't say that the Don battles are more enjoyable nor a better idea than the contests because I personally loved them. Battling never felt unimportant throughout Hoenn or Sinnoh, the contests simply gave us something new and more to look forward to. If anything, some of Dawn's contests were downright awesome. But each to their own, hey?

Linkachu said:
I also can't say that the Don battles are more enjoyable nor a better idea than the contests because I personally loved them. Battling never felt unimportant throughout Hoenn or Sinnoh, the contests simply gave us something new and more to look forward to. If anything, some of Dawn's contests were downright awesome. But each to their own, hey?

They're pretty much the same thing, with lots of rivals and main characters competing in them. IMO Dawn's contests were brought down by some really bland and boring rivalries. Zoey pretty much became a Mary Sue as DP progressed, Kenny was just a bad/pointless character in general, Nando had potential but disappeared for 85% of DP, and Ursula simply came too late.

The way the DP contests were written made it seem like Dawn had no real reason to triumph over her rivalries at all. The Dawn/Zoey rivalry was never really engaging whatsoever, probably because it was in the shadow of the Ash/Paul and May/Drew rivalries the entire time.

To be honest the only DP coordinator I really liked was Ursula, which is a shame because she came too late into the saga to make much impact. We never even got to see her beat Dawn once. :/

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

I only have one thing to say regarding the Celestial Tower episode:

Cilan cross-dressing is both hilarious and creepy as hell.

Also, this.

Pikaron.png

And this!

Iris---Queen-of-the-Safety-.png

Iris - Queen of the Safety Patrol.

Pikachu as Boufallant is brilliant, almost as good as the ridiculous afros in the other episode.

I am getting a little sick of episodes based around Axew getting kidnapped/lost etc it's basically just recycling the togepi episodes minus metronome, one or two would be fine, but it's pretty much the only screen time iris gets is finding axew or competing in tournaments.

Just watched the dub of the alder episode, Trip was far too much like cheren in it, and I preferred the old kanto episode with bruno which pretty much had all the same themes. Shame alder didn't catch that gigalith though, it is such an awesome pokémon, and might have gotten him that date with jenny after it saved her :p

It's a shame we won't have a crazy plot twist and alder turns out to be ash's dad

I like the Don battle tournaments have Iris and Cilan competing in them. It shows they don't have to just focus on Ash.

One thing that always bugged me about Misty/Brock is they hardly ever battled besides certain times. I honestly think the tag battle tournament in DP was Brock's only tournament in his entire 13 year run in the anime. That's pretty sad when you think about it. I also believe aside from the Whirl Cup, Misty was never in any other tournaments either, and that only lasted like 2 episodes.

Cilan is battling Gym leaders, engaging in tournaments and he even defeated Ash's main rival (Trip) this saga before Ash did.

The donamite tournament ends this week, I'll be honest, I was shocked that Bianca of all people beat Trip, if that's not a blow to ash's ego then I don't know what else could be :p

2 parter coming up about carracosta, will be interesting to see, although I do think it's a shame that ash meets so many interesting ancient pokémon and despite trying to catch an aerodactyl, has never caught one, heck brock could have been useful in sinnoh owning a rampardos or bastiodon... Alas, maybe next generation....

So Kenyan wins the tournament, pretty much a given.

Its nice that we have some female rivals in the anime for once, given that there were virtually never any female battlers in the show that were recurring characters. I mean there was Casey in Johto, but she bombed as a trainer and the writing in Johto was terrible so she never amounted to anything.

Still sad there's no female trainer who does Gyms on the main cast, but its obvious that's never going to happen.

Accelguard is awesome. Fact.

Moreover, I'm so glad to see tepig's original trainer showing up soon, if I were ash I'd have boldore headbutt them against a wall, then let tepig use flamethrower and burn their hair off, and finally knock his teeth out.... But only because I'm so friendly. I will happily point out that tepig went ages where it just continually lost in battle against everything, but also this will likely be tepigs evolution episode, or in the run up to its evolution.

With brycen appearing on the 10th may, I assume his gym battle will be the 17th and 24th respectively. Unless ash loses, I'll reiterate my old point, this series is wonderfully shorter than previous, however I think we won't have a real idea on what's going to start happening, until 23rd june when black and white 2 come out... If the post elite 4 finding the seven sages etc has a much bigger storyline for all we know the keldeo movie might be a precursor to a whole other storyline around black and white 2.... I'm not holding out on that one, but it might at least have a few extra tidbits we weren't expecting =)

I can see the Unova league starting around episode 100. It seems Unova will be longer than Kanto, (Kanto ended at 83 episodes), but shorter than Hoenn, which was 130 episodes.

Its obvious we're getting a second arc based on BW2, likely functioning the same way Orange Islands and Battle Frontier did. For that reason I assume Iris and Cilan will stay, I can't imagine any cast changes at this point.

The latest black and white 2 information makes me think the unova league could be further away, ash could have the league pushed back by whatever the hell kyurem does to wipe out a chunk of unova!

Also, damn the episode preview showing archen attacking the carracosta, I really want ash to catch one!!!

Interesting to see the 7th Gym coming up already...it seems like this saga is ending sooner than expected. Unless there's some massive stalling between this, the 8th Gym and the league.

This saga almost feels rushed to me...Iris and Cilan still feel too new as if I don't even really know them yet. Same for the rivalries, Trip is so poorly developed.

I never felt this way when watching AG or DP, especially given how often the spotlight was given to May and Dawn. I know Iris isn't going to get as much focus as they did but I still feel like the writers aren't focusing on her as much as they should.

We're 80 episodes into BW already, and Iris still only has 3 pokemon and her quest is almost non-existent.

It's confirmed that one of the new Black and White 2 gym leaders will be appearing in the anime, of course this doesn't necessarily mean ash will be challenging them, although I can imagine a new unova tournament coming up possibly with battle frontier features that will link to BW2. We might see the league postponed with the crazy weather and freezing of the landscape caused by black and white kyurem, with the next season being centered around ash exploring the new areas of Unova, helping the new professor research the general goings on. Most likely we're staying in Unova past the league, or the league won't happen until after an entire filler season. The new gym leaders will add an amount of new incentive for ash, but I think we'll see a lot more development for Iris and Cilan. With the pre-unova pokemon appearing in BW2 I'm happy to see Iris catching a few older pokémon, I'd still be very happy to see bagon, as her having a deino seems less and less likely all the time =(

I actually really like your ideas RLRL. If something like that happens, I might start watching the anime after all.

Back when BW disappointed me for the first time, I said I would watch the anime once they reached Nimbasa...but that didn't happen because more stuff pissed me off in the meantime XD The lack of Team Plasma is a real blow as well, but oh well. I'm still waiting for something to pull me in, but I just haven't found anything yet. Oshawott won't evolve, Iris annoys me, and Trip, um....yeah.

YAY! Tepig finally evolved, now there are only surprises left for Ash's team, thank moose for that!

I'm hoping possible additions to his team could be, Ferroseed mostly because Ferrothorn is my favourite gen 5 addition to the pokédex.
As we saw with scraggy finally breaking his "no dark types" streak (followed by krokorok), a steel, psychic, or ghost type would be great to see. Unfortunately I can't imagine Ash with a Reuniclus at this point, and would hate for him to have a gothitelle. I had high hopes for Sigilyph as it's just a wonderful pokémon, but I think it would be a little too odd for ash to have.
The problem with ferroseed would be that's 3 grass types he owns this generation. I thought it was odd when he caught Sewaddle and Palpitoad, but unless he's going to end up with another fire type (please oh please oh please get a larvesta) I can't really think of anything else that he could end up catching this generation.
Although I'd love to see him trade Unfezant for Braviary.

Time will tell as they say, maybe with the new Unova areas giving us old pokémon ash will catch something like Riolu or something, or bring back gible ^_^

Gible will very likely return, also because Iris likes dragons and almost certainly she will get to see it. You know since Ash rotates his pokemon for the first time ever, it would be nice to see more of his older pokemon rotated back in...even though I kinda doubt it will happen.

I also think after the league we'll see the return of some older characters in the show. I wouldn't be surprised if Dawn or Brock get a cameo, but then again they might not appear at all.

I enjoyed the brock vs latias episode with nurse joy, I'd love to see more specials again like we had before

Well I'm assuming everyone has seen the new coro coro scan! Best Wishes 2 from june 21st, I'm really looking forward to seeing how exactly the anime changes from one to the other, although I'm also really quite disappointed that we won't get to see the gym battle in opelucid city. I was really looking forward to seeing either Ash facing iris, or drayden, and seeing how they worked that into the anime.

Dawn's return could prove interesting, although i hope the combee next to her in the promo photo isn't actually hers, even if she has a vespiquen within a few episodes, it's still going to be fairly unimpressive.
I am however very happy to see Eevee and Glaceon in the bottom corner, if Ash gets a glaceon it will once again be him having exactly the same pokémon as May, but I'm guessing by Cynthia's new outfit she's going to be the one with a Glaceon. Maybe she'll give Riolu and Eevee to Ash and Iris respectfully. Still wondering about that Dragonite, but then again, it might just be another one of cynthias pokémon, or prof oaks.

Giovanni returning fills me with excitement, although I have to wonder what he's actually going to do with jesse and james, after you know, firing them, then rehiring them, and then them being largely incompetent in Unova. I hope he'll have a larger role, maybe even we'll see the return of Mewtwo after the Meoletta storyline, that would explain all the awesome mewtwo events and things we've had for a while.

Ok I'm done letting my mind run wild now... What does everyone else think? (aside from, RLRL you were right, it was changing completely)

Well I imagine Dawn is getting a cameo similar to May's Wallace Cup appearance or Misty back in AG. I really can't see Dawn staying beyond 4-5 episodes, the Contests aren't coming back and they wouldn't have a coordinator in the series without them.

I am glad to see Cynthia return. I hope Ash wins the league now.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

I recently watched episode 79: the Tepig meets his original trainer episode. While I can't shake the knowledge that now three of Ash's Fire-type Pokemon have been abandoned due to being weak/having no talent, the episode itself was very good. Ash was crazy for sending Snivy out against two experienced Fire-type Pokemon but it was nice (and cute) for character development. I hope that we someday meet Snivy's original trainer as well.

That all said, a thought struck me at the end of the episode: "I hate to admit it, but this climax would've been a lot better if Pignite's design wasn't so terrible." :p

(For the record, Pignite's design has grown on me a lot since its initial reveal, but I can't deny that Tepig's is still much, much better... XD)

Edit: And now I've also watched episode 80 and I gotta say, even though its snot beard is still utterly ridiculous I suddenly want to train a Beartic. >> <<

My one criticism of that episode: considering Volcarona's mythical origin stories I was expecting a deeper plot verses a more typical "showoff the new gym leader/Pokemon Hunter" episode. The episode itself had a lot of great action and made me love Ash's Krokorok even more, but plot-wise it fell short for me. I'll just hope that this isn't the last we see of Volcarona (not counting Alder's). :8B:

So Ash is battling Homika, one of the BW2 Gym leaders, for his 8th badge. Apparently Drayden is being saved for later on, but at least we know he'll be appearing eventually. This is the first time Ash ever earned a badge differently than the ones in the game.

The are a lot of preview clips of Dawn's return in BW2 online lately, mainly ones where she's interacting with Iris. I'm not really that excited about Dawn's return to be honest, but I do want to see how she interacts with Iris and Cilan mainly.

Now we've seen 2 emboars in the anime, I really hope we won't have pignite evolve, at least not for a while.

I really am looking forward to seeing Homika's battle, even though she has a Garbodor *shudders*.

Meoletta playing a big role in best wishes 2 does bother me somewhat, but I'm more interested in seeing Giovanni return =) As long as TR stay on their more serious track, and hopefully we see them with Swoobat and Cofagrigus before the series runs out

So Cynthia and Dawn have returned and Ash heads off to Eastern Unova.

I was never a huge fan of Dawn or Piplup, but its nice seeing them again for a while. Seeing Iris/Cilan interact with her is also funny.

Also from the sounds of things Dawn is staying for an upward of 10 episodes or so or maybe more on the group. I knew the writers favored her character, but jeez, this is ridiculous. No past girl had a cameo this long. ~O.o~

EDIT: After watching the 5 or so episodes with Dawn returning, I have to say her presence seems rather unnecessary. She's basically back to hang around in fillers and her presence in the tournament is short and pointless.

It feels like the only reason they brought Dawn back is to shove Piplup down our throats for another 10 episodes. Seems like it was only done for tradition.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Whooooo. This topic sure died over the summer. I was too busy to post during the summer holidays but I've still been keeping up with the Japanese subs as best as possible. Some fun stuff has been happening in season 2 lately. ^^

Any thoughts on Iris' newest Pokemon? I'm trying not to directly relate it to Charizard and Mamoswine because I feel its situation is somewhat different, but at the core it's still the same ol' tired plot: a Pokemon that's too strong for its own good won't obey its trainer because that would make the character overpowered - and we can't have that! Considering that this is Iris' Pokemon and not even Ash's means that we're unlikely to see it fully obeying anytime soon. :p

With that aside... Yay for Krookodile. It actually looked pretty cool animated. ♥

I've personally just finished watching the Junior Cup and hot damn did Trip clean house with Serperior. That thing's almost too powerful, but the final match between Trip and Alder, particularly what Alder said after the fact and Trip's response, made me smile. I'm wondering now if we'll be seeing much more of Trip in the future or if he won't return until the Unova league tournament... whenever that will finally be. But no rush needed, I say. I'm liking these new arcs and am interested to see where the show will go from here.

Linkachu, what did you think of Dawn's cameo? Seems odd that it felt so low-key to me, as if the writers just had her there to fill out the token cameo role.

She lost so early in the tournament and had no new pokemon or new clothes or anything that it feels like her entire role was filler. They didn't even give us any update on her contest quest, which gives me the impression this is going to wind up being her final appearance in the show.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

precita said:
Linkachu, what did you think of Dawn's cameo? Seems odd that it felt so low-key to me, as if the writers just had her there to fill out the token cameo role.

As much as I love Dawn and was happy to see her return (especially for the Piplup/Oshawott/Meloetta love triangle) I'd say you're pretty well bang on there. Aside from offering Iris a female friend for a short period of time Dawn didn't really do much in the way of character development for anyone - not for Iris, Ash, or herself.

Her cameo was fun while it lasted but that's all it really amounted to: a fun, likely one-shot, cameo. They could have done something more with Dawn's Mamoswine and Iris' Dragonite, possibly some development revolving around how Mamoswine didn't originally obey Dawn but now they're a great team, but instead they went the route of godmoder Dragonite and had Ash beat it...

Speaking of Dragonite, it's a shame that it's such a broken plot device - possibly even moreso than Pikachu. Taking that many x4 weakness hits from Mamoswine (which is likely higher leveled than Ash's Krookodile) but managing to beat Mamoswine and not Krookodile? Yeaaah. Poor writing much? But hey, this is Pokemon. Even if I find stuff like this silly, I'm used to the show's contrived plot devices. :p

Linkachu said:
As much as I love Dawn and was happy to see her return (especially for the Piplup/Oshawott/Meloetta love triangle) I'd say you're pretty well bang on there. Aside from offering Iris a female friend for a short period of time Dawn didn't really do much in the way of character development for anyone - not for Iris, Ash, or herself.

Yeah, that's what bugged me about it. It felt like Misty and May's cameos had far more impact on the storyline when they showed up. For example, even though May lost to Dawn in the Wallace Cup, she at least made it into the finals and beat Zoey in the process, a character whom Dawn herself was never able to beat. Not to mention the sheer mass of evolutions they gave May off-screen...I can't believe they evolved her Bulbasaur twice. And it generally felt to me that the writers wanted to show how much May changed since departing from Ash...with Dawn you didn't really get that impact. The lack of new clothes was also bizarre, as at least Dawn would have LOOKED different even if nothing changed.

It really felt like it was just to promote Piplup (and Oshawott), rather than anything about Dawn herself. Not even a single one of her rivals was mentioned, she didn't even tell us how many Contests she won off-screen...you could literally say nothing much changed about her.

This will probably be the last time Dawn ever appears in the anime too, since both Misty and May faded away into obscurity after their last cameos ended. Should have had a better send-off though.

And once again this topic has died... Oddly enough on the day I visited my first pokemon centre...

Right anyway, Higaki conference, would have liked to see a better Ash vs Tripp battle than Pikachu finally defeating Jalorda in a 1 on 1 but it nicely ties up all loose ends with those two as well as we can expect.

I just feel once again like this league has been really rushed, Ash Vs Paul was a 3 parter last series, yes we saw only little bits of some of his other battles, and ok tobias just completely screwed him over, but it felt justified in it's length, this just seems like they're focusing too much on the other characters Ash met throughout unova.

I honestly hoped by now either oshawott or snivy would have evolved, seems a bit redundant to have both still at their first stage, especially when the snivy and tepig given out by juniper to trip and bianca are in their final stages now.

Gotta add, really looking forward to this final part of the unova league, but mostly because I want to see what place ash is this time, something tells me he'll just be top 8 rather than top 4 again. Really wanna see Cameron's final pokémon, especially as after the break for xmas and leaving this episode 'til after the gen 6 announcement, I'd love to see him beat ash with the gen 6 early bird or ratata equivalent. Oooh Oooh, or a bibarel with moody :p

EDIT: There goes me being super excited and it not paying off.. Didn't even get to see Cameron's final pokémon in action, Ash got his ass handed to him =( I'm glad the eevee trainer came first, but in all honesty I'm even more let down by the league. Oh well, we'll have to wait for gen 6 for ash to use his old pokémon again for a league.

To be honest, I never liked Kotetsu. He has all of Ash's worst qualities and takes them up to eleven. I was really hoping that Ash would beat him in the first round and go on to fight Trip and Stephan in the next two, only to lose to the Eevolution trainer in the finals(last rival to meet before the league; you /know/ this guy is gonna win the whole thing) So I really disliked that he had to lose to this guy of all people. And to make things worse, they had to throw in a deus ex machina Lucario to do it. Lucario is seriously getting overrated, so I guess it was kind of satisfactory that he lost to an (equally overrated) Eevee. But the fact that Pikachu lost to a Mary Sue who lost to an even bigger (or smaller?) Mary Sue says a lot about this league.

The Unova tourney just really bugs me with it's matches. Ash fighting Trip/Shootie in the first round imo doesn't justify just how much of an impact Trip made on the series as his rival. I enjoyed his match against Kenyan/Stephan though (I love how they finally get his name right towards the end of the series) but that and his battle with Bianca were pretty much the only highlights of the League for me.

As mentioned before, everything about the league seemed rushed, and the bad matchups just made it worse. Here's hoping the Plasma arc might redeem the dwindling interest I had for this season.

RLRL said:
EDIT: There goes me being super excited and it not paying off.. Didn't even get to see Cameron's final pokémon in action, Ash got his ass handed to him =( I'm glad the eevee trainer came first, but in all honesty I'm even more let down by the league. Oh well, we'll have to wait for gen 6 for ash to use his old pokémon again for a league.

He only had 5 Pokemon

Is Ash ever going to win a league? I mean come on, he's only ever won the orange league but i dont even count that as an official league.
Just once id like to see Ash win one. Hopefully he will win whatever league is in X and Y

Staff edit: joined your two posts together, make sure you check ours rules on double posting ;)

Ash could have won the Hoenn and Sinnoh leagues, but the powers that be prevented it from happening.

I don't understand why he can't win a single league. Its not like winning one league makes you the strongest trainer, he'd still have to go on and face the Elite 4 or other Champions afterward.

The DP saga gave us the promise of a Champion league after Ash won a league, but the writing of Best Wishes is so terrible that the idea went down the drain.

Personally I don't think he could win one. Sinnoh was obviously the closest he has ever come to winning an official league, but his issue is that he cycles through his Pokemon way too quickly and he often makes horrible team choices, such as with Tobias. I can guarantee that Darkrai probably would have been taken down a WHOLE lot sooner if Ash had used Infernape, I mean come on, that's the only Pokemon the dude used until their battle, that should have been considered. Okay, he had Heracross, but I still think he should have planned better. And Gible? WTF man, I'd understand if it were freaking Garchomp or something, but if it was merely to train him a little, then that was obviously not the place or time.

But then again the powers at be don't want him to become a champion because then they couldn't make him the same happy go lucky moron he's always been. I mean come on, just when he wins the Orange League, BAM, Gary freaking owns him with an effing Eevee. Just when he beats the Battle Frontier, BAM, Gary beats him with Electivire.

I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up that he'll win. Let's face it, he won't. And even if he somehow makes it to the champion in XY, then guess what? Somebody is going to knock him back down again, like always, probably five minutes after he wins. Sorry for being pessimistic, but you have to realize what we've been seeing for a little over ten years now.

I know that, but its still ridiculous. Ash could win a league and then lose to an Elite 4 member, so its the same deal. Winning one league is no longer the big event it felt like back when the show first started, mainly because back then there was only one region but now there's going to be 6.

Anyway I guess Iris and/or Cilan will be leaving the show in about 7 months from now. Can't say I really care much, Iris has been the most disappointing female lead of the show thus far. Its a shame because I felt like she had potential to be interesting at the start.

inb4 Iris makes a cameo in the XY anime and she's already Unova's new Champion. Ash is gonna feel real salty about that.

Joking aside, is it odd that I don't think Cilan is leaving the cast anytime soon? And it's not just because he's the new team chef, I think Cilan's backstory is flexible enough that I can see him travelling to other regions. At the start of his journey, he said he wanted to experience new things and see new combinations between humans and Pokemon he's never seen before. Granted, his goal to become an S-class Pokemon Sommeliere has been diluted a lot since the flanderization of his character, but I still think he has the potential to join Ash in his XY journey.

Satoren said:
Joking aside, is it odd that I don't think Cilan is leaving the cast anytime soon? And it's not just because he's the new team chef, I think Cilan's backstory is flexible enough that I can see him travelling to other regions. At the start of his journey, he said he wanted to experience new things and see new combinations between humans and Pokemon he's never seen before. Granted, his goal to become an S-class Pokemon Sommeliere has been diluted a lot since the flanderization of his character, but I still think he has the potential to join Ash in his XY journey.

Its possible. Keep in mind Brock only really lasted as long as he did because Tracey completely bombed as a character. That and the fact that they removed Misty after she had gotten stale, so they probably didn't want both of Ash's original travel companions gone at the same time. (Even though looking back now, Brock probably should have left when Johto ended along with Misty since he became useless in Hoenn and DP, but that's besides the point).

Cilan's certainly popular enough to continue on, but even then he feels way too tied to his gen in the same manner that May and Dawn were. He has more of a chance than Iris at any rate, who seems pretty much done as a character already.

I honestly think the days of characters lasting multiple generations is over. This late into the series replacing characters isn't a big deal anymore so it seems like virtually any new character can travel with Ash now and it doesn't matter anymore.

I honestly hope with all of my heart that they decide to give a new character besides Ash some time in the limelight, but chances are, that will never happen.

I really wish that we could see Ash traveling by himself, and perhaps some episodes through different points of views with the main characters meeting up now and then. Basically, imagine the original scenario of Ash, generic cook, or contest girl/gymleader, but make them all competent trainers that actually have a goal that can be fulfilled. In my opinion, scenarios like this would make the show a bit more fresh, since we wouldn't see as much of Ash, but at the same time, we can get more character development from him, and from his co-stars. This would also cut from having all of those annoying rivals that made BW so annoying to watch at times (Stephan, Trip, etc, etc, ETC.)

But again, that's not going to happen. At this point, what'll happen is A. Iris and Cilan will join Ash in XY and become even more useless. B. Cilan may continue with Ash and bring along Pansage, which will evolve into Simiage and possibly another form if available, then the female/age appropriate gym leader will accompany them both with some dream to become the best hair stylist or whatever. C. Both are replaced with a male and female gym leader whose ages are closest to Ash's. or D. Some weird plot twist occurs and Brock returns along with generic XY female protagonist for fun fun fun :D *shot*

But really, we need some character diversity. Yes, Cilan was knowledgeable and Iris was somewhat hot headed, but we need more... I don't know how they could do this, but I think having a friendly rivalry with the two main males of the group would be hilarious as they try to outdo each other... though that's just me. Again...we'll more than likely get whoever the writer's want to work with the NPC's of the story...in other words people with little to no personality.

Something I'd like to see in the XY anime is both of Ash's companions getting rivals for themselves. So far, it's always been the Coordinators who had rivals, and Brock was left alone to do whatever because he was actually competent with a lot of things. His lack of drive to pursue his goals made him a very bland character whose only noteworthy trait was a running gag that got staler with every episode.

When BW introduced Burgundy and Georgia, I was hoping these two would help develop Cilan and Iris respectively. But in the end Burgundy ended up failing like a fails and became the show's new buttmonkey, while Georgia didn't make that much of an impact on Iris' character development. Heck, Drayden was a better rival to Iris than Georgia, and he appeared for all of three episodes in the series.

If the next female has an ongoing quest to do in the next series, then she'll probably have rivals again. I don't think Contests will return but I can see there being something similar that's turned into an ongoing quest for the female character.

I think at this point its obvious the writers only really handle the girls with ongoing quests better than the ones without them. Iris has only been developed marginally since her debut episode, and Misty was pretty much forgotten about throughout the entire span of Johto.

I don't know why the writers are incapable of developing characters without Gym/Contest quests, but that's just the way it is.

I think Cilan may go on the XY journey so he can improve his expertise in being a Pokemon connoisseur and like RX said has a flexible enough a back story. I think if we were to pursue Cilan's quest and have a female that challenges Ash as a rival, it may spice things up a little.