• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Welcome to the World of Pokémon!: Kanto

As he made his way up the icy slope with Tux perched on his head, Alex slipped and slid back down due to his general clumsiness and the hurry he was in. He made a second attempt, concentrating on keeping his balance. His legs burned as he freed himself from the pit.

Alex quickly took in his surroundings, not wanting to be standing out in the open for too long as to appear vulnerable to the thieves. He took cover behind the wide trunk of a tree. His eyes fell upon Grant and his Mudkip, who were engaged in battle with a familiar Deino.

"Tux, isn't that Warren's Deino?" Alex said, pointing to indicate the Pokémon to his partner.

"Pip!" Tux agreed.

"That new guy -Grant- must be the one who attacked us," Alex said, gasping as he came to his false conclusion. "This was all a set-up." As far as he knew, Walt had been nothing but kind and helpful to him since they'd met the day before, and he resolved to come to his friend's aid.

"Tux, use Pound on that Mudkip!"

The Piplup rushed towards Aqua, readying his flippers to attack.

Last edited:
Walt was knocked back by the newcomer’s attack. Drac, being a dragon type, grimaced in pain as it was hit by the chilly gust of wind. Mudkip then fired a water gun, sending Drac crashing into its trainer, knocking off Walt’s mask.
“They outnumber us, Drac, but we just have to hold them off until Tracer retrieves the objective”
Suddenly, a blue flash appeared and next thing Walt knew, Alex’s Piplup was locked it combat with Mudkip.

Walt, still feeling dazed from the attacks, stared in wonder.

Why? Why is he helping me? Is it because-Yes it must be! He still thinks I’m goody two-shoes Warren! I got to play this to my advantage!

“Drac, keep using Dragon Rage, but don’t hit that kid over there!”

Oak Laboratory, Pallet Town

Blue was pacing about the lab, thinking to himself:
Team Rocket is back, it seems. Looks like Mr. Perfect failed to take out those clowns. This is my chance to outshine Red. My chance for gramps to acknowledge my skills. My chance to shine. First sign of those Team Rocket idiots, and I'll knock 'em into orbit. YEAH! I CAN FINALLY BEAT RE-

Blue's train of thought was interrupted as a worried-looking Professor Oak walked up to him.
"Blue, there have been alleged reports of explosions near Viridian, in the forest. It might just be old age or paranoia, but the whole situation just screams Team Rocket's name. Could you do a quick check on the area to make sure?”

“Speak of the devil! This is it! I’m going right away. Smell ya later old man!”

“Blue.....be careful, ok?”

Blue pulled out a Pokéball, sending out a sleek and majestic Pidgeot.
“All right Pidgeot, you heard gramps! Viridian Forest, here we come!”

With that, Blue soared off into the sky on Pidgeot’s back

Skipper was taken by surprise to suddenly be confronted by a Fletchinder, upon hearing Tracer's command, Skipper knew that if Beetle was taken out then Skipper stood no chance in fending off against the thief. Skipper definitely felt intimidated by the larger bird's deadly gaze as it rushed towards the bug, but nevertheless, Skipper jumped in front of the Heracross to take the hit for it. Fletchinder's momentum was unsurprisingly halted once it made contact with Skipper, at the cost of the poor Natu being terribly injured. The peck felt like a sharp dagger, it even managed to slightly tear threw Skipper's skin underneath his feathers, leaving a scar. Despite being a silent pokemon, in distress the small bird let out a large cry of distress that echoed threw the forest. Skipper tried his hardest to stand back up, but with all the previous damage he took, he collapsed and fainted. Easily giving Tracer the ability to grab a hold of the bug.

Jakobi was thrilled to witness the success of the group's teamwork on making a climbable slope. After the others climbed up, Larvesta spewed out another string shot that Jakobi was able to use as a rope to pull on while climbing up so that his legs wouldn't tire while trudging upwards. Once back on the surface, he quickly took cover, Chia remained right by his side and Larvesta was clutched in Jakobis right arm, despite their natural heat being rather scorching to the touch of skin. Jakobi looked carefully at the fight that ensued between the group of trainers, He knew that he could fully trust Alex and Devon, but he took note that either Grant or Walt could still be a potential suspect, at first Jakobi figured that it would most likely be Walt due to Carter's warning from earlier. But upon seeing Tux attack Mudkip, Jakobi came to the conclusion that the new kid, Grant was the culprit. "Perfect! Grass beats water!" Jakobi thought, about to join in on the battle, until he was interrupted from Skipper's screeching cry of distress. He felt his pulse stop as he assumed that his bird had been abducted, he dashed as fast as he could towards the sound and found his pokemon along with some others. He recognized Beetle as Winnie's pokemon and thus, deduced that the Fletchinder was an enemy. Without thinking Jakobi yelled "Chia, ancient power!" And she instantaneously responded by furiously launching a barrage of mystical rocks at the bird which made direct contact. Jakobi had a hunch that he wouldn't need to deal with that problem anymore. His second immediate action was to withdraw his unconscious bird back into his pokeball so that he couldn't be stolen. "Damnit! Now I can't teleport away!" Jakobi thought, staring intensely at Tracer and Beetle. Jakobi briefly considered retreating as he had already reclaimed his lost pokemon, but he wasn't about to let Winnie's pokemon get stolen. He didn't know what to expect from the mysterious individual in front of him, Jakobi assumed that he was capable of the worst case scenario that could occur, so he kept his distance and didn't want to approach directly. Larvesta and Chia shot angry, battle-ready looks at Tracer while Jakobi spoke in a firm manner, "Back away from the Herracross! I don't want to hurt you but I will if I must!"

Tracer's thoughts went black as he watched Jakob's Natu launch itself in front of Winnie's Heracross, giving itself up to (once more) foil his capture. As it fell to Fletchinder's high-speed Peck assault, Tracer cursed the psychic bird with all his being. It wasn't the sort of passive curse that one made when locking himself out of his house, or getting dust under his contact lenses. This was profound, profane, consistent to the spirit of ancient and forgotten hexes. Tracer willed that Natu suffer a slow death from wound infection, that no potion or nurse could cure.

Alas, he was no pokemon, and he did not have the power to give his curse teeth. Much less, could he now hope to grapple an unhurt Heracross, even one at low level. If he laid one finger on it, the creature would fling him like a football. This skirmish was lost.

"Back away from Heracross!" came Jakob's voice, sounding strangely distant in his ears. "I don't want to hurt you, but I will if I must!"

Tracer's wrist snapped downward, and a smoke ball exploded between himself and Heracross. Just before it obscured his face, he locked eyes with the trainer who had just threatened him.

"I do want to hurt you," he uttered, his voice strangely resonant.

When the smoke cleared, he was gone, as was Fletchinder. Heracross remained, unscathed.

Walt was fighting desperately against his attackers alongside Alex, but it still seemed as Mudkip and Sandshrew had an advantage because of Drac's weakened state from previous attacks. Just when all seemed lost, a large column of smoke erupted from where Agent Tracer and Fletchinder were.
Tracer must have completed the capture. I guess I should be going as well before things get worse.

Walt reached inside his pocket and pulled out a familiar purple ball. He threw it on the ground, creating a lavender cloud of smoke. When the smoke was gone, Walt and his Deino were nowhere to be seen. The other trainers stopped battling and stared in confusion. Just then, a large figure swooped down from the sky. Blue dismounted from Pidgeot, scanning the destruction. He looked around the forest, and saw ominous wisps of smoke rising from the ground and a large crater in the ground. He turned to the trainers and asked to nobody in particular: "So...anyone care to explain what the hell is going on here?"

Winnie heard sounds behind her - it must have been the group! She held onto the hope that Beetle had somehow ended up with them. Her pace quickened as she backtracked, navigating through the tall grass and many trees - why had she strayed so far off the road again? "We'll find them, don't worry," Winnie told Toadie, who was nestled in her arms. Although, it served primarily to reassure herself.

Beetle didn't take the Razor Wind well, what with the whole x4 weakness to Flying-type moves. Still, he managed to hold his ground enough to not get knocked out. He was in such a state that he wasn't able to fight back, though, and it was sheer luck that Jakobi and his Pokemon were there to help. Beetle was grateful for their help, and he hoped Natu picked that up - had they not been there, the Heracross would've no doubt been in the ominous trainer's property.

Winnie found her way back to the group little after the smoke bombs were thrown. The smoke confused her, and further scared her, but after seeing Beetle unharmed, her worries were mostly gone. "Beetle!" she shouted, running towards her Heracross. Beetle was just as happy to see Winnie as she was to see him. She kneeled down to hold him in her arms, putting Toadie down in the process. "I was so scared," the girl quietly said - any louder, and she feared she would've broken down. She pulled back after a few moments, and spoke to Jakobi, who was nearest to her. "Is everyone alright? No one missing?"

Jakobi's entire body felt cold as chills went down his spine upon hearing Tracer's threatening closing line, " I do want to hurt you." He closed his eyes and curled his hands into fists, expecting an ambush once the smoke cloud emerged. Thankfully, the mysterious thief appeared to have escaped. "Great. I guess, that makes me his next target." He thought to himself. He was delighted to see the reunion of Winnie and Beetle unfold in front of him, he thought for a moment about how his act of bravery was responsible for making this a reality. Had it not been for his intervention, Herracross would've been forever separated from its trainer. This began to shift Jakobi's dread into optimism, "Maybe its good that the thieves are always nearby. That way I'll be there to foil their plans!"

Winnie turned to Jakobi and spoke worriedly, "Is everyone alright? No one missing?" Jakobi took a moment to re-evaluate what he had just done and saw, everything was practically a blur as it happened to fast. He heard no more commotion around the area where the main battle was taking place. He came to the conclusion that the thief ceased fighting to retreat just as the thief that tried to steal Beetle had done the same. "Well I'm sure that all the trainers are fine. It appears that the thieves fled. I know for sure that I have all my eggs and pokemon." All of a sudden he remembered that Skipper was still critically wounded. He quickly took him back out of his ball and cradled the little bird in his arms. Without even being ordered, Chia instinctively used heal pulse to restore Skipper's energy, she had gotten quite accustomed to the cleric-like role she had. Skipper certainly benefitted from the heal pulse, as he began to regain consciousness, however, the scar on his cheek failed to restore itself. It was as if that Fletchinder was really aiming for its peck to be lethal. Skipper's expression still displayed pain as its permanent injury still seemed to hurt. Jakobi dove straight into his bag and pulled out a full heal and some bandages. He sprayed the wound, much to Skipper's discomfort and wrapped it up securely with bandages. "Thank you so much for you hard work! Take as long of a rest as you need." he spoke softly as he withdrew Skipper back into his pokeball, hoping that he would be okay.

He felt that both Winnie's and his mind needed to be taken off the traumatic event that had just occurred, so he decided to introduce Larvesta to her, as she figured that she would be pretty interested in the pokemon. He realized that he didn't even analyze the bug with the pokedex or give it a nickname. He pulled out his pokedex and pointed it towards Larvesta, as it squirmed its way over to Winnie and Beetle as it was also interested in the two of them. "Larvesta, the Torch Pokémon. Said to have been born from the sun, it spews fire from its horns and encases itself in a cocoon of fire when it evolves."
"Wow, born from the sun? Guess your new name is gonna be Sol!" He said excitedly, "C'mon, let's go join the others." He said to Winnie as he moved his way back to herd of other trainers. He saw that there was a new trainer who owned a Pidgeot among them. Jakobi turned to Alex, "Who's this new guy?" He asked.

The sound of heavy wing flaps was of a different nature than the one Carter had heard from the previously-aggressive Fletchinder. He pulled himself from his prone position, and walked out from behind one of the trees to see the source of the noise. It was not the attackers this time, but the eighth gym leader himself, on his Pidgeot. He hurried up to the older man, taking care to check his arms for bruises.

"Leader Blue," he started, looking around at the lively faces of the trainers, "we just had a near encounter with Team Rocket. I don't see 'em now, so I'm guessing you must have scared them off or something. Winnie? Jakobi?" He looked to them for help. "I avoided the pit, but got blown through that bush back there and missed most of it. You guys can fill in the blanks, right?"

Jakobi was relieved to find that Carter had been okay despite the attack that had just ensued. "Well, I'm pretty sure there were only two theives. One of them hurt my Natu pretty badly, but somehow I was able to scare him off?" Jakobi sounded unsure on his last statement as, ironically, he ended up more spooked than Tracer right before he disappeared. Nevertheless, he still fled. "Well it's not that I intimidated him, but he threw out a smoke ball and left without taking a single Pokemon."

"I'm a bit unsure about the second thief, though. There was a pretty big battle going on and-" Jakobi turned back to the cluster of trainers and remembered that Alex's Piplup was attacking Grant's Mudkip. He proceeded to point at Grant for an accusation, "It's that kid! The one with the Mudkip! He was fighting against Alex here! Warren too." Jakobi once more stopped talking upon realizing that Walt and his Deino were no longer among the group. This could only mean one thing, "Shoot! Forget what I said, sorry kid. Actually, it was the guy with the Deino who was the second thief." Jakobi turned to Carter and and grinned in subtlety, his hunch was right on the money. "I guess Warren truly was unworthy of trust."

Jakobi turned back to Blue, he was astounded on how strong his Pidgeot looked. Made sense considering that Blue is apparently a gym leader. "If you got here a little earlier, you probably could've caught them. We just got real lucky." He took a quick breath and then asked an important question, "Do you think you could perhaps take some of us to Pewter? I desperately need to go a Pokemon Center for my Natu, he's not doing so well right now." He asked in a respectful manner.

Last edited:
Blue took a look at the injured Natu and cringed at the horrid scar on its tiny body
"Alright, Pidgeot can take three people max. The rest of you follow on foot; Pewter City is not far from here. Pokemon Centers are too slow, Pidgeot will take you to a guy I know, Brock. He's better with Pokemon than any Nurse Joy. If you run into any more of those villains, Pidgeot will annihilate them in an instant. I'm staying back here to investigate."

Dammit! I was too late! And what did the kid say? One of the thieves had a Deino....it must be the same one from the lab! Grrrrgh....I let him escape under my nose AGAIN. Oh well, I will find you and I will tear you and your sadistic friend to shreds along with the rest of your petty orginization! You better watch out, because miracles don't happen three times in a row....

Everything else that happened came so fast that it was almost a blur to Devon; as he battled, the boy could only really focus on his pokemon and whether or not he was winning. Everything else was almost lost in the heat of things, so much so that he didn’t really care about the fact that the boy with the piplup was attacking the mudkip that was supposed to be his ally. Really, Devon didn’t know the background between the trainers and didn’t think to press on why they had fought, so just left it. Subzero had unfortunately taken two of the Deino’s dragon rage attacks, but he took them like a champ thankfully. The battle raged on with the fletchinder, too, but again Devon was so enthralled in his own battle to pay attention to it.

After a few fleeting moments of battling, a thick black mass of smoke erupted from the treeline, immediately catching not only Devon’s attention, but his foe’s too. Both trainers looked to where the smoke was coming from, but the Alolan native’s brow furrowed out of worry - had the thieves achieved their goal? Did they finally get what they were looking for? Whatever the case, it seemed that Walt got the memo too, as he quickly threw out a smoke ball and disappeared too. Devon was really confused for the first few moments after he had vanished, mostly because the smoke enveloped him too and all around him was darkness. Subzero lept into its trainers’ arms and buried his face in his chest in an attempt to hide, and Devon held him there like a baby; there was something comforting with them being so close to each other and standing like this was something they often did when things got dicey.

The two looked around in the dark for a few seconds, and Deven even called out “What’s goin on?!”, but it wasn’t long before the smoke began clearing. This was in part natural, but also because of Blue’s appearance; as his pokemon beat its massive wings, the plume began to clear and the forest came into view again. Devon was surprised to see Blue, but it was a good one since it meant that they thieves certainly wouldn’t come back anytime soon. Another girl had appeared too, although this was one that the boy hadn’t seen yet - the Heracross the thieves wanted seemed to be hers, so it was lucky that they had managed to rescue it together as Devon couldn’t imagine coming back and finding out that your pokemon had been taken. Part of him was angry at Winnie for leaving Beetle alone, but he kept his criticisms to himself for the time being.

The girl with the Heracross wasn’t the only newcomer; another boy appeared, but this time Devon didn’t mind as much because he guessed that the kid had arrived from all of the ruckus caused by the fighting. That, or he knew the other trainers - either situation would be fine with Devon. Still carrying his Sandshrew, the boy walked up to Blue but didn’t interrupt the conversation immediately since he believed it would probably make him out to be rude. He had heard Jakobi ask Blue fly a few of the trainers over to the next town, but Devon hung his head low at the request; he didn’t want to be helped along on his journey, and Subzero was still doing pretty well despite the battles. With the whole ordeal pretty much over with, the boy wanted to move on and catch another pokemon as was his reason for coming out to Viridian forest in the first place.

“I’m going to go on foot. I want to catch something else, and I’m sure we’ll all meet again in Pewter city anyways. If any of you want to travel with me and my pokemon, you’re more than welcome so long as I can stop to catch something new at some point.” The boy said, stroking his pokemon’s fluffy belly as he mentioned its name. Devon then set Subzero down on the ground, and began walking over to the base of a tree where his bag had been left. After rummaging through it, the boy pulled out an Oran berry and offered it to Subzero before speaking again, although this time a little louder. “I don't really know what kind of Pokemon I want, I guess I'll know it when I see it!” He said, slinging his bag over his shoulder while Subzero trailed behind him.

Devon then moved over to the pit, and peered down into it. They'd really messed things up with the incline they'd made, but hopefully some kind of Pokemon would fill it in with water and make a pond, or maybe a ground type could come to level it with dirt. Whatever the case, it would probably become a place for Pokemon to have fun. Walking back over to he rest of the group, Devon smiled to try and at least seem a little friendly. “I...realized I never properly introduced myself. I'm Devon, and this is my partner Subzero. He's a Sandshrew, but the Alolan variant that has an ice and steel typing. I guess you could say he's pretty...cool!” He said, stifling a laugh to try and diffuse the tension in the wake of Team Rocket's attack.

“So, anyone want to walk the rest of the way with us? Like I said, I'm going to try and catch something else so it should be a pretty leisurely stroll.”

Carter shrugged and nodded to Devon. "Sure, I'm down to walk. If I fly now, my mom'll say I cheated."

The visual phone on the wall of Pewter Rocket HQ beeped for a couple of seconds, before Doc's face appeared on-screen. He was greeted by the sight of Tracer in his undershirt, slamming his fists into a black punching bag that swung before him. Doc waited for a moment or two, but Tracer continued punching doggedly, ignoring him. Finally, he cleared his throat.

"Productive day, Agent?"

"Hardly." Tracer whipped his body around and struck the bag with a flying heel kick, causing it to spiral wildly. "I've been lying on my stomach for the most part, waiting for an opening. All I have to show for it is the Squirtle of some dolt who let it get poisoned into fainting this morning. I'll be surprised if it's not dead by the time it gets to Central."

Doc was silent for a few moments longer, and Tracer finally slapped his hands onto the bag to still it. "I know I haven't met my quota today," he snapped. "But I'm working with a pokemon I'm not used to, and Haunter's still missing, so far as I know. Once Agent Ruscit is back, I'll return his Fletchinder with a thanks-but-no-thanks."

He looked at the other agent through the wall-phone's camera, his eyes smoldering. "This isn't working out for me. I need Haunter back."

Doc shrugged. "Yours isn't returning. Like I told you this morning, just request a new one. They're plentiful in the wild; it's not like you're begging for a Lapras."

Tracer let out a huff of breath through his lips. "Fine," he said curtly. "Send me one that knows Mean Look, like my old one. I need to do something about these damn Teleport users."

Tux's dash towards Aqua was immediately halted by an explosion of thick black smoke, materializing seemingly out of nowhere. The Piplup brought his flippers to his beak, covering his nostrils in an effort to not inhale any of the substance, especially after seeing what had happened to Brian.

"Tux, are you okay?" Alex cried, dashing into the smoke. He immediately retreated as it filled his lungs causing him to gasp for fresh air. He looked desperately around for any sign of his Pokémon in the billowing dark cloud and prayed that the thieves had not taken him.

The smoke began to clear suddenly in a whirlwind whipped up by the beating of the massive wings of a Pidgeot. As the air around him became clear, Alex could make out the form of the small blue penguin. He ran to Tux, lifted him in his arms, and carried him towards the group to safety.

"You okay, buddy?" Alex inquired, inspecting every inch of the Piplup's body for any sort of harm.

Tux opened his eyes, which he was keeping shut tightly to ensure he wouldn't suffer any irritation or temporary blindness from the smoke. "Pip!" he chirped with a relieved sigh.

Alex felt extremely fortunate that Tux was left unscathed and untouched by the thieves. He was not much of a battler and was admittedly unconfident in his ability to fend off any real threat. His hasty decision to command Tux to attack Mudkip was based solely on a sudden burst of boldness in the heat of the moment and the urge to protect his new friends.

Putting Tux down next to Blue's Pidgeot, Alex approached Grant sheepishly. "Hey, I just want to, uh, apologize. I can see you're obviously not a thief... That's, uh, my bad." He laughed embarrassedly to break the tension and shook the boy's hand. "I'm Alex. We obviously haven't met," he said.

He turned back to the group. "I think I'll go on foot," he said. "I came here to catch a Pokémon and after what just happened, I think I would definitely feel safer with more partners by my side."

As a Ghost-type specialist, sworn to the Gastly evolution line alone, Carter had a self-imposed ban on capturing any new pokemon. It saved money on pokeballs, but it prevented him from varying his team, even with a Nincada that would have become the semi-invincible Shedinja. Nevertheless, with all the fighting experience going solely to his Gastly, he won all challenges he made against the population of Bug Catchers that inhabited Viridian Forest. It wasn't saying much, of course- fighting a Bug Catcher was one step removed from squashing a worm underfoot- literally, in some cases.

"Is this fun for you?" he asked one of them: a man in a straw hat by the name of Ben. "Helping trainers in their preparation for Pewter Gym by losing all the time, I mean. No offense, but I don't see you becoming Champion even with a Butterfree and a Beedrill, no matter what their level."

Ben shrugged and smiled. "Bug pokemon feel pain in a much more subdued way than others do," he said matter-of-factly. "It's actually the driving force behind my own philosophy. If you gotta lose, be the most cheerful and generous loser anyone'll ever meet. I can't tell you how many starters suddenly learned Metal Claw, or Vine Whip, or Water Gun for the first time against my team."

He closed his eyes and smiled. "When they go on to victory against Brock with those moves, may they think back to their training in Viridian Forest, and remember Ben fondly."

Carter shook his head in wonder. He would never understand this laidback hakuna-matata nonsense style of life. Perhaps the lives of humans were short and fleeting, but here in this man was the death of ambition and dreams. And they were but vultures, feeding on his carcass.

Walt had not disappeared far after his smoky finale. In fact, as the trainers were planning their trip to Pewter City, he was up top a tree listening in on every word.

So Blue's here now...this could be bad. If that Pidgeot senses me, I'm done for, seeing as Drac is in no state to battle and I'm pretty banged up as well.

Fortunately, for Walt, Pidgeot did not seem to notice him, and if it did, it probably mistook him for a wild Pokemon, as the forest was teeming with life. Suddenly, a few words caught Walt's attention.
"Looks like Warren was not to be trusted after all"

Well there goes my whole "Warren" facade. Looks like I'll have to take a different approach next time. As for now, I should probably heal up at Pewter HQ. Then, I guess I'll have to request backup there, because that Brock guy is a gym leader after all. Maybe some training first though.....

Just as Pidgeot spread its majestic wings to deport with the trainers who wanted to go by flying, Walt silently crept down the tree and started making his way to Pewter City, following the majestic flying type.

Blue

Blue saw that a few of the trainers had chosen to stay behind and explore on foot. He grumbled in annoyance, as he wanted to keep investigating the whole Team Rocket situation, but those trainers were far to weak to defend themselves if they were attacked.

They remind me of Red.....so naive....so innocent......so much goddamn potential. As much as it hurts to admit it....I'd be devastated if something happened to those kids. On the other hand, we have this whole Team Rocket fiasco, and it's my job to investigate it. What should I do? I guess this leaves me no choice but to use another one of my Pokemon.

Blue took out a Pokeball and threw it in the air. Out appeared a massive Rhyperior. Rhyperior let out a tremendous bellow and looked at its trainer, awaiting his command. Blue sighed and said to the Pokemon:
"Alright, you saw those trainers right? Could you just keep an eye on them in case Team Rocket decides to come back?"
Rhyperior nodded its armored head and lumbered off.

Jakobi's flight to Pewter was much more pleasant than he expected. His arrival to Viridian earlier was on also on a Piidgeot, but that one was piloted by Falkner, a flying type specialist. Jakobi figured that it would only be worse on Blue's bird, but surprisingly it was somehow smoother than Falkner's. It was as if Blue and Pidgeot had become in sync whenever they took the skies together, "I hope I can have a bond that strong with my pokemon someday." Jakobi thought. Near the departure, Jakobi was taken by surprise to see how much different it looked than Viridian. There were plenty more buildings, much less greenery, and way more people. It felt like a new environment compared to the slowness in Viridian.

He got dropped off right in front of the Pewter city gym. "Hmm. I figured that this Brock guy must be someone special. If anyone can help it probably would be a gym leader." he thought. Inside he found that there were plenty of trainers scattered throughout the main room of the building, which is probably where they trained. He witnessed many trainers of different ages and classes training with their pokemon and having small battles. Most of them seemed to use rock and ground types, seemed fitting considering that this gym leader most likely specialized in Rock types. Jakobi thought briefly about challenging the gym, but Skipper was his first priority. Jakobi was lead to a room where Brock was supposedly occupying at the moment and in a short moment, Jakobi finally found the man he was looking for.

Jakobi was unsure at first on how to start the conversation. A gym leader surely must be one worthy of plentiful respect, but Jakobi's matter was urgent. But as always, Jakobi just got straight to the point, "Excuse me, sir? My pokemon is gravely injured and I was informed from Leader Blue that you could help him out. I don't know if you're terribly busy, but I just want to know if there's anything you can do to help." Jakobi took Skipper out of his pokeball, who was looking slightly better from earlier due to the full heal and bandages, but was still in a ton of pain as its face displayed. Jakobi cradled Skipper in his arms while looking at Brock with hopeful eyes.

For a Ghost-type trainer, Carter proved to be a talkative companion as the remaining trainers drew nearer to the northwestern exit. He took the better part of a half-hour explaining how ghost pokemon were not actually dead mortals, but extra-dimensional entities who frequented the material plane. Like other organic creatures, they ate, reproduced, and were susceptible to bodily harm. From there, Carter told stories of the astonishing things he had seen ghost pokemon do to bend peoples' perceptions of reality with their illusory powers.

"Morty from Johto had a Gengar who could recreate the scene of the fire that hollowed out Ecruteak's Burned Tower centuries ago," he said obsessively, "and I've heard of ghost pokemon who could fool people into believing that whole abandoned towns were still bustling with people, such as those from the old west. They get so good at it, that the experts of the craft could make a freight train appear to plow right through these trees- noise and all- and you'd leap out of the way without a thought!"

He squeezed his fist tightly, with a smile of resolve on his face. "Some day, we'll be capable of such feats, and then all the world will see that nothing is so strong as the power of imagination. That's my dream!"

After a few seconds, Carter seemed to come back to himself, and remember Alex and Winnie. "What about you guys?" he asked. "I've been talking your ears off, but why'd you decide to take this journey? What's waiting at your finish lines?"

Winnie decided to walk with the rest of the group, as she had no means of traveling otherwise. Both Beetle and Toadie had been retrieved into their Pokeballs, hidden away in her bag. Her glasses were still missing, by now probably smashed as well, Winnie thought, but she came prepared! She brought a pair of contact lenses with her - although, she was a bit squeamish about putting anything near her eyes. She delayed it by promising that she'd do it in the comfort of a Pokemon Center - just in case one of the lenses fell down, or something among those lines.

Listening to Carter talk about Ghost-type Pokemon was a nice time-passer. Winnie loved listening to people talk about their interests - their enthusiasm was contagious. Although, Winnie didn't become as cheery as she thought she would to be. She felt a bit odd, even out of place, which never happened to her. She squinted at the ground while in thought - looking straight ahead made her dizzy. Maybe she should've put those contact lenses after all...

"Hm?" Winnie's head sprung up once Carter asked them a question. "Oh! Well, as for myself, I came to Kanto to research Bug types. I'm hoping to become a type-specialist, a sort of Pokemon Researcher." She stopped for a brief moment before continuing. It was the first time she felt like she shouldn't talk about herself. Still, she continued. "Or something among those lines. Like an expert on Bug Pokemon!"

"I've always had a soft spot for underdogs, so perhaps that's why I love Bug types so much," Winnie continued, ignoring the little voice in her head. But she did feel uneasy around so many strangers-

...Yes, they were all strangers. They'd spent a day or two together, but Winnie still didn't know them. She was wrong about Warren - who was to say any of the people she was traveling with were who they presented themselves as? To think she could've lost Beetle because of her wrong judgement... "What about you, Alex?" Winnie asked, a happy tone in her voice contrasting her thoughts. "What brought you here?"

"I'm not entirely sure," Alex admitted, attempting to unwind after the tense encounter with Team Rocket. Although he was engaged in the conversation, his attention was mostly elsewhere as he took in the sounds of the bug Pokémon twittering in the trees and the refreshing shade of the dense canopy. "I think I just wanted to travel, mostly," he went on after a short pause. "To see the world, you know? I'd like to do something with my journey, but I don't really think I'm cut out for Gym Battles." He glanced up at Tux, who returned to resting on his Trainer's head and appeared extremely relaxed.

"Bug types are definitely cool," Alex said to Winnie with a smile. He didn't particularly love all things creepy-crawly, but she seemed passionate about them, which he could definitely appreciate. "I'm hoping I can catch something of my own."

The group's conversation was interrupted by indistinguishable shouting up ahead, echoing through the nearly empty forest.

"Who could that be?" Alex wondered aloud, though he continued to walk at the same pace, being in no rush to enter another confrontation.

The shouting, which was now clearly a multitude of distinct voices, grew louder as he approached a clearing. Closing in on the noise, Alex realized that the surrounding area differed from the rest of the forest. The leaves on the trees were no longer a lush springtime green and were instead gold. Hailing from Johto, he was easily able to recognize the species: honey trees. They were extremely popular with Pokémon for the sweet sap they contained inside their trunks and offered a sugary treat to anyone who could tap into their supply. (Bug types were commonly adept at this.)

Alex's curiosity was peaked. He came to the clearing to see two groups of young men squaring off against each other, each donning a straw hat and carrying a large bug net. Above the individuals hovered a group of Butterfree and a group of Beedrill, who seemed equally as eager to fight each other.

"Get out of here," snapped one of the guys in the Butterfree group. "This is our honey and you know it. Find your own damn trees."

"You can't just claim all the honey trees in the whole forest!" shouted someone from the Beedrill gang, throwing his hands up in disbelief.

"Finders, keepers," said his companion with a mocking tone.

"You didn't find them!" said a boy on the Butterfree side. "The Butterfree Buddies have owned these trees for years!"

"Butterfree Buddies," repeated a disgusted voice from the Beedrill side. "When are you guys going to stop using that stupid name?"

Alex was caught completely off guard by the strange argument. He tried to stifle a giggle at the name "Butterfree Buddies," but was unable to do so.

"Excuse me, can we help you?" said a member of the Butterfree Buddies, noticing his presence.

"Oh, uh, no, I'm sorry," Alex apologized, unprepared for the attention to suddenly fall on him. "Just passing through. Is everything okay here?"

"No, everything is not okay here," the Butterfree Buddy replied, turning back towards his opponents. "Actually, everything was fine until these goons showed up." He motioned towards the Beedrill group with open palms.

"It's just not fair that you guys get access to all the good trees and we're left to scrounge for the scraps!" shouted his Beedrill counterpart.

"Who are you guys?" Alex asked, genuinely bewildered by the entire situation.

"We're the Butterfree Buddies! We pledge our lives and hearts to beautiful bug Pokémon! Their magnificence brings us together!" The Butterfree group put their hands together and threw them in the air in unison, mimicking a butterfly's wings.

A member of the Beedrill group stepped forward. "We're the Beedrill Boys," he grumbled. "We've devoted our lives to training the stronger bug Pokémon."

"Butterfree is just as strong as Beedrill!" someone shouted.

"No way, Beedrill wins every time!"

Alex rolled his eyes.

"Wait a sec... Are you here to steal our honey too?"

Brock looked at Skipper's battered appearance in surprise and gently took hold of its little body. He nodded at Jakobi and said:
"I'll get it fixed up right away. Nothing is more important to me than helping out injured Pokemon."
Brock walked into the depths of the gym and returned with a stretcher. He carefully rested the tiny Natu down and produced a yellow Sitrus Berry from his bag.
"Here Natu, eat this. You will feel better afterwards."
Skipper weakly pecked at the berry, and chirped in surprise, as the berry had restored most of its energy.
"Now, we just need to patch up this wound here. Luckily, the wound is not infected yet, and I can treat it without any worry."
Jakobi watched nervously, as the gym leader patched up Skipper, his hands moving with precision and experience. After what seemed like an eternity, Brock walked over to Jakobi and said: "Your Natu has lost a lot of blood, but it will be feeling fine after plenty of rest. Now then, how did Natu get injured so badly?"

Viridian Forest

Rhyperior finally spotted the trainers he was supposed to defend, when he noticed a commotion near them. The large Pokemon looked closer and saw a huge group of Butterfree and Beedrill looking tense and ready for a fight. Rhyperior remembered Blue's commands and thought:

I can't let Blue down. I must protect the children from harm.

So, without thinking twice, Rhyperior charged out of the shadows and threw itself in front of the trainers to protect them. Rhyperior let out a fierce battle cry and faced the bug catchers and their Pokemon.

Pewter Rocket HQ

Walt knew he had to train before confronting the trainers again. As soon as Drac was healed and rested, the two of them headed to HQ training grounds to improve their skills. While Walt tested out a variety of gadgets such as Pokemon lures and net cannons, Drac was busy sparring with a grunt's Grimer.
The poison type was tough, alright, as it was able to shake off many of Drac's attacks and retaliate with poisonous moves. Grimer shot wave after wave of Sludge Bomb attacks at Drac and while they were weak individually, they could rack up some serious damage, and Drac, with no way out of the attack, took the barrage head on. It sure seemed like Grimer had the Deino in checkmate. Drac felt his mind blank for a second and tried shooting a Dragon Rage attack at Grimer. Instead of a fireball as usual, Drac merely sputtered out a little cloud of smoke. Grimer dropped the Sludge Bomb attack and went for the finishing blow with a Pound attack. Its fist glowed with energy, as it charged at Drac. Drac tried another Dragon Rage, but this time, it seemed like he had choked on the attack. Drac felt something burning hot in his throat as the Grimer came in for the finisher. At the same time that Grimer struck with Pound, Drac tried one more desperate Dragon Rage, but this was different. In contrast to his usual blue ball of flame, Drac released a brilliant beam of energy from his mouth, hitting Grimer at point blank, knocking out both of them. Walt looked back in surprise, as did all the others.
"Was that...Dragon Pulse?"

"As Alex here says," Carter put in dryly, "we're just passing through. But for the record, the Butterfree . . . guys-" -He refused to dignify the name- "would win the turf war if it came to that, from the tactical perspective." He looked at the Beedrill Boys with a raised eyebrow. "Rather than get your collective asses kicked, just make your own damn honey. You have bees."

The menacing noise of a Rhyperior roaring made him jump, and Carter looked back at the mighty brute in a cold sweat. "Aaaand that's my cue to leave," he finished hastily, picking his feet up. "Good luck sorting this out."

Tracer stood cross-armed in an orchard at the center of Pewter City. His eyes were on an apple tree, but from out of the corner, he watched the lavender-colored creature that floated grinning next to him. It was his new Haunter, freshly caught by a Team Rocket operative from East Kanto. The loss of his old Haunter was a setback and an inconvenience, for prone to whimsical theft as he was, the creature at least was thoroughly trained in communication and hand signals. Tracer would need to start from scratch with this semi-wild one.

"Haunter." Tracer snapped his fingers, to get the creature's attention. The pokemon's eyes were vacant, and he looked thoroughly bored. Casually, Tracer reached up, snatched haunter by the sides of his head, and brought their foreheads together. A moment later, he descended his mind into the black, wicked state that he had long since dubbed Poison Dart Frog. Terrible thoughts, morbid images, and a cold, tangible rage flowed suddenly from him, overwhelming Haunter like a sailboat in a hurricane. It was indistinguishable from any Ghost-type attack, and its raw evil was enough to nauseate anyone with a sixth sense. Haunter sank a few inches, giving a half-groan, half-squeal like a dog whose ears had just been cruelly tugged. Tracer made certain they held eye contact.

"Crystallize this moment in your mind," he commanded quietly, knowing that even if Haunter didn't understand his speech, it would recognize his meaning. "I will never resort to this method again with you, so long as I can avoid it. But let it be clear: Tracer of Team Rocket is your master now. I am the alpha. I give the orders. You obey. Nod to show me you understand."

Slowly, Haunter nodded, shell-shocked. Tracer let go of him, satisfied, and turned back to the apple tree. "Let's call lesson one complete, then," he said, pointing to a few of the apples whose bottom halves he'd painted white. "Lesson two: snatch ONLY those apples with the different coloring. Before you learn to take things from people, you will take from this tree."

Jakobi felt a mixture of relief and worry after hearing Brock's words. Ultimately, he remained mostly optimistic that Skipper was going to be okay, as he trusted Brock's experience with pokemon. Brock then inquired over how exactly Skipper got his injury. Jakobi's expression shifted into that of a slight frown as he looked down, as if he held some sort of grudge. "Team rocket." He muttered, like he was cursing their name. Jakobi returned to a neutral expression and began to go more in depth with his explanation.

"Well, it's sort of a long story. I was hanging out in Viridian forest with a group of trainers. Then a thief used his Fletchinder's razor wind to attack us which separated me from my Natu. While I was thrown in a ditch, my Natu and this girl's Herracross stuck together. I believe that the thief wanted Fletchinder to hit Herracross with a peck, but my Natu jumped out to take the hit. I got reunited with my pokemon shortly after, and the thief took off." Jakobi's face gradually shifted into that of confusion and anger, "It just doesn't make sense, though. Pokémon battle all the time with no permanent damage! My Natu should've handled that Peck like any other attack! What made it hit so hard to leave such a mark like this?"

Tracer's walkie gave a muffled beep, and the Rocket agent lifted it to his ear.

"Speak."

"It's me," came Doc's voice from the other end. He sounded excited. "Tracer, I know what happened to your Haunter."

Tracer glanced at his new Haunter, who had graduated from grabbing pokeball-painted apples, to snatching apples without disturbing a single leaf.

"Your other Haunter," Doc clarified, as if he'd read Tracer's mind. "Its original pokeball no longer registers your agent ID. It's as if it was never used in the first place. Only Team Snagem's technology has the capability of doing something like that."

Tracer's eyes widened slightly, and his pulse increased. "You hypothesize that we crossed paths with Team Snagem?"

"Or someone with a prototype-copy Snag Machine," Doc qualified. "Command is having me notify you and other area agents to be on the lookout for anyone over the age of ten wearing long or loose-fitting sleeves. If you identify a suspect, do not engage unless you are out of the public eye and are working in tandem with at least one other Rocket member. This is a premium black market tool we're talking, and its owner will fight tooth and nail to protect his golden goose. He'll probably have friends nearby himself, and I don't mean just his pokemon."

"Roger that." Tracer lowered his walkie, and glanced at the apple in Haunter's hands. His eyes fell to the creature's gold-painted fingers, then flicked up to a leafy branch that had bits of gold spattered among it.

"Try again. We'll harvest the whole tree if we have to, and you'll eat all the green ones."

"Team Rocket"
The very words sent a chill down Brock's spine. He thought about what Jakobi had asked and replied quietly:
"So the rumors are true. Word has it that Team Rocket is back, but I didn't believe it; I didn't want to believe it. You see....most trainers aren't like Team Rocket. All the trainer battles you see at the Pokemon League or at a Pokemon Gym: Sure, the Pokemon aim to knock out the opposing Pokemon, but none of them aim to kill. That's where Team Rocket differs. They will do anything to steal your Pokemon, even if it means mortally wounding them or worse, killing them. Your Natu was very lucky. If that Fletchinder's peck went any deeper, it would have most likely punctured a vital. With Team Rocket's return, you need to be trained in self-defense. You have other Pokemon than Natu, correct? If so, then I challenge you to a battle. It will be a one-on-one battle. Your Pokemon versus mine. So how about it? Do you accept my challenge?"

This trainer....he reminds me of him. It feels like it was just yesterday, that boy and his Charmander.

Jakobi listened to Brock as if it was the most dire thing he has ever heard. He thought to himself, "He's right. I can't let something like this happen to anyone the next time team rocket strikes! I guess I really do need to be stronger to protect my pokemon." Jakobi initially expected his journey in Kanto to be carefree and easygoing, but his first impressions now left a different expectation in his mind. The inconvenience and danger of Team Rocket had assured that Jakobi must be a competent trainer, or else he was doomed to be a victim to their crimes. On his way to Pewter, Jakobi subconsciously thought about just going back home, or maybe just any region besides the one with team rocket, but for some reason, Jakobi's desire for going on this journey remained unchanged. If anything, he became even more passionate and excited because of it. Maybe, it was to make sure that Skipper would not be wounded in vain, the little bird took a sacrifice for the greater good, and Jakobi finally had come to the conclusion that he must as well!

The worried and vengeful look on Jakobi's face faded. He beamed while staring into Brock's eyes with a fierce and determined expression, "Of course I accept your challenge! I want to thank you for all that you've done, I think I've reached some sort of epiphany now." Jakobi took a pokeball out of his backpack and sent out Chia who was a little confused as to where they were or what exactly was happening, but nevertheless was cheerful as always. "I'm just letting you know now, I'm a pokemon breeder, my Chikorita here has some special moves, so I'm sure that this battle will be exciting for the both of us!" Jakobi was fired up. Win or lose, this would be his first trainer battle. All he cared about was making it special and growing as a trainer.

Brock grinned at Jakobi’s enthusiasm and said:
“Breeder? Guess that makes two of us. Alright, follow me to the arena.”

Brock and Jakobi walked through a set of double doors and stepped foot in the Pewter City Gym arena. The battlefield was uneven and rocky, potentially proving hard to maneuver on. On each side of the trainers, a set of bleachers full of Brock’s students was patiently waiting for the battle. Brock walked over to the other side of the arena and announced: “The rules are simple. The trainer whose Pokémon knocks out the other first is the winner. Each trainer will use one Pokémon. The one I choose is Onix!”

Brock took out a Pokéball and tossed it high up in the air. With a burst of light, the mighty snake Pokémon appeared. The stadium exploded with applause and cheering. Brock nodded at Jakobi and Chikorita:
“Show us what you got.”

Pewter Rocket HQ

Walt, this time in a scientist disguise, walked up to the Pewter Fossil Museum. His goal? Steal the valuable fossils, of course.

According to Executive Proton, these fossil Pokémon are quite the catch. Rocks aren’t really my thing, but I guess it’s better than tangling with another one of those gym leaders. Come to think of it, I haven’t heard from the commander in a while....last time I checked, he was asking us to take over Viridian Gym. If he finds out that we ignored his commands, we’re as good as dead.

Walt mingled in with the rest of the crowd, not even bothering to buy a ticket. Seeing the huge line of people crowded in the museum, he knew just how to play the situation to his advantage. Walt took a deep breath and yelled at the top of his lungs:

“SOMEONE IS BOMBING THE MUSEUM! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!”

Knowing what his trainer was up to, Drac dashed to a
corner where nobody could see him and fired a powerful dragon pulse at the wall, creating a small explosion.

Hearing the explosion and Walt’s screams, people panicked. They flooded out of the doors, running as fast as they could from the museum. Walt smiled evilly at how easy it was to clear out the people. Now came the hard part: Stealing the fossils

"Hey, what's the big idea?" said one of the Beedrill Boys as Blue's Rhyperior stomped into the clearing.

"You were trying to steal the honey after all!" a Butterfree Buddy cried in disbelief.

"N-No, you don't understand," Alex stuttered nervously, shaking his hands in front of him as if to show he had no malicious intentions.

"Butterfree Buddies, assemble!" The group of Bug Catchers threw their hands in the air once again, crossing their wrists over one another so that their palms resembled a butterfly's wings. The Butterfree fluttering above them were signaled to prepare for combat and turned towards Rhyperior.

"Sleep Powder!" they yelled in unison. The Butterfree began to vigorously flap their wings with excessive force, producing sparkling blue spores that flew through the air towards Rhyperior. The Pokémon instantly began to nod off as it inhaled the hypnagogic material around it. The giant staggered backwards and landed on its back in the grass, put into a deep slumber.

"Now to deal with you punks!" a Beedrill Boy shouted.

"Beedrill Boys, prepare for battle!" The Beedrill Boys raised their arms to their sides and flapped their hands aggressively, as if imitating a bee's wings. The Beedrill readied themselves, pointing their long stingers toward the group of Trainers.

"Twineedle!" the Beedrill Boys commanded together. The Beedrill sprung into action and rushed toward the supposed honey thieves.

A scream escaped out from somewhere in Alex's throat. He quickly lifted Tux off his head and clutched him at his chest as he took off sprinting in the opposite direction from the clearing.

"Winnie, now would be a good time to show off some of the Bug type expertise!" he shouted as he ran. "How do you calm a swarm of angry Beedrill?"

- - -

As the dust stirred up by the explosion and subsequent collapsing of the museum wall settled to the ground, a blue-haired female police officer stood in its wake, peering into the gaping hole. She spotted Walt instantly and, being that he was the only panicked patron who hadn't evacuated the area, used her sharp inference skills to pin him as the perpetrator.

"Squirtle, use Water Gun on that man," she called, pointing. From some place behind her, a Squirtle hopped into the hole in the wall and released a powerful jet of water from its mouth straight at Walt.

Tracer's walkie crackled once more, and he lifted the communication device to his mouth.

"I'm busy, Doc."

"It's Astral, actually," responded an effeminate, self-important voice. "You have new orders, Tracer. Agent Ruscit is about to obtain some highly valuable fossils from the Pewter Museum. You are to assist him against any retaliation from local law enforcement."

"You don't outrank me," Tracer snapped, hating the very sound of Agent Astral's voice. "If you know those orders, it makes them your orders, not mine-"

"Excuse me," Astral interrupted curtly, "did you not read the protocols during training? In the event that one Rocket Agent is not available in the area to which the mission was assigned, it falls to the next closest agent. That would be you. If you've got complaints, I'll be delighted to patch you through directly to the Commander."

Astral's tone was formal, but Tracer clearly detected glee in his voice. "Alternatively," he added, "if you would rather voice your complaint here, I can add the audio log to your record before the next review. Really, it's no trouble."

"Fine. I'll take care of it. You hang back and keep digging your important little holes in the name of Team Rocket."

No sooner had Tracer hung up on Astral, than a panicked-sounding stampede of people came running past the garden in the direction opposite the museum. Tracer pulled on the hat he was wearing, which made up his latest disguise as a standard pokemon trainer. "Come, Haunter," he ordered. "Your training's been bumped up to practical experience."

A series of explosions, some louder than others, came from the direction of the museum. By the time Tracer arrived, the local Officer Jenny was already present, with a Squirtle at her feet. She pointed and shouted commands, indicating at something in the settling dust that Tracer couldn't quite make out. He narrowed his eyes.

The vanguard is here, and it's one woman with a Squirtle? You people really are taking Team Rocket far too lightly, aren't you? So be it.

"Excuse me."

Tracer's arm snaked out, and in the blink of an eye, he had the officer in a sleeper hold. "I need to borrow your hat and jacket," he muttered softly into her ear. "You can keep the skirt. Haunter, use Hypnosis on the Squirtle. No need for further racket."

Jakobi gulped as he surveyed the arena. A rocky terrain like this is certainly something that must be second nature to Onix, but regardless, Chia was still determined to do her absolute best. Jakobi and his pokemon looked at each other one last time before nodding in assurance that the two were mentally ready to begin.

"Okay, Chia! Use Leech Seed!"
The Chikorita nodded in response to her trainer's command and began to run across the battlefield to get closer to Onix. Because the rock snake easily scaled over her with its massive size, Chia hopped on a boulder in the battlefield to gain some height. She let out a small battle cry as she dispersed seeds from the side of her body, launching them in a scattered array as to increase the area and likeliness for the seeds to hit.

Brock intently surveyed the situation, as Chia fired a wide spread of seeds on the battlefield, potentially trapping Onix in place.
Leech Seed, huh? So he's trying to take advantage of Onix's size. Well I'm not going to make it that easy!
"
Onix, defend with Sandstorm!"
Onix roared, summoning a huge column of sand that shielded the large Pokemon from being hit by the Leech Seed attack.
"Now! Launch the Sandstorm!"
Onix flicked its rocky tail, sending the massive wall of sand in Chikorita's direction.

Viridian Forest

Laying down, fast asleep, it seemed as there was no chance of Rhyperior waking up. However, in the mighty beast's mind, Blue's voice echoed: "Rhyperior, make sure nothing happens to those trainers."
Rhyperior suddenly remembered its job and burst out of its deep slumber, bellowing angrily at the Pokemon who dared attack Blue's new friends.
To its horror, it seemed as if both of the trainers were struggling to fend off the swarm of Bug Pokemon. Rhyperior focused its cannon-shaped hands together, forming a large boulder surrounded by a blood-red aura. Without thinking twice, Rhyperior raised the boulder above its head and hurled the powerful Rock Wrecker attack at the swarm of Butterfree and Beedrill.

Blue was starting to get annoyed from waiting so long for his Pokemon to return. He had finished the Team Rocket Investigation and was planning to move on to evidence sites with more evidence.
Dammit Rhyperior, why is it taking so long to escort those trainers to Pewter? Oh well, Rhyperior is more than capable of handling itself. That mask though....it all comes together. I sent that black mask that I found to Gramps, and from his analysis of it and the damage at the lab, it's basically confirmed that the one who attacked here was the same person that invaded the lab. But where are they going to strike next?

Pewter Fossil Museum

Walt was caught off guard by the sudden burst of water. He staggered over and turned around to see a cross Agent Tracer restraining a police officer and a Squirtle.
Walt’s surprise quickly turned to annoyance, as he did not remember requesting assistance.
“Well, I didn’t expect you to show up. Oh well, now that you’re here, why don’t you help me secure these fossils before more of those boneheaded police officers show up.”

Tracer nodded wordlessly, pulling Jenny's uniform over his shoulders and switching their hats. "Speaking of bone heads," he said as he recalled Squirtle into the officer's pokeball and pocketed it, "those fossils are bound to be heavy loads, and it's not like we can shrink them into pokeballs. Do you have a method for moving them that won't draw the attention of every nosy onlooker between us and HQ? I can hot-wire a car in the parking lot, but how do we even bear the burden?"

As he spoke, he became aware of a siren that drew closer and closer. However, the vehicle that came into sight was not another police car, but an ambulance. It screeched to a halt on the curb, and two uniformed medics leaped out, slamming their doors. A third person, this one a woman, came around from the back area where gurneys were kept. Their eyes fell upon Tracer's police uniform, then flicked fearfully to Walt. Tracer's mind shifted in a moment, blending to the character he found himself forced to play.

"I'll hold this man off!" he barked sternly, putting on his best officer voice. "But he took Jenny down. Quick, get her to the-"

He trailed off in confusion, as two of the medics suddenly dropped to the ground, as if hit by tranquilizer darts. Then the third medic's body began to fade, and his eyes widened in understanding.

"Gastly! It's you! Good timing, but where the hell have you been for the whole day?"

"Spy work," Gastly said simply. "I couldn't get away until just recently. I'll-"

The ghost pokemon stopped, and stared at Haunter, who had just materialized back into view. "Who are . . . ? You're not my old teammate. Tracer, who is this?"

"Debrief later," Tracer said, grabbing the two unconscious medics by their collars and beginning to drag them. "Ruscit! We've got an improvised escape vehicle, but more bystanders are imminent. I need your answer on those fossils!"

Jakobi was shocked to see his Leech Seed strategy get taken down by the Sandstorm. As the tough storm approached ever so closer by the second, more and more adrenaline was pumping inside Jakobi. "Chia! Use the boulder as cover!" Chia quickly dove back the boulder as to not get blown by the sandstorm, however this did not prevent her from taking chipping damage from some of the scratching sand. "Hmm. Leech Seed and Razor leaf are too light of projectiles to land in the sandstorm. Maybe its time to change my plan." Jakobi thought to himself, he was trying his best to remain calm under this pressure which for the most part showed as he didn't look completely frazzled. "Okay! From where you are, use Ancient Power!"

Chia stomped on the ground with its small feet and summoned several stones to rise from the ground and levitate above the boulder. The stones were pulsating with a yellow glow and remained unfazed by the rushing sandstorm due to the tough nature of the rocks. Chia wasn't able to see her opponent but she launched the stones in an array similar to leech seed in Onix's general area in hopes that she would land a hit. Upon releasing the stones, Chia began to emit a similar looking yellow light from its body and appeared to stand taller as if it had received some sort of power boost.

The stones that flew out of the holes in Rhyperior's crumbled as they made contact with the Beedrill and Butterfree, sending the Bug types hurtling towards the ground. The Bug Catchers ran to their partners in concern, carefully dodging the bits of rock that were still airborne. A few of the Pokémon were able to gracefully maneuver around the super effective attack and had now selected Rhyperior as their target.

"Confusion!" one of the Butterfree Buddies called out. At once, the Butterfrees' eyes began to glow blow as they attempted to use their psychic power to hold the Rhyperior in place.

"Twineedle!" said a Beedrill Buddy. The bee Pokémon all rushed towards their new target.

Alex decided to use this distraction as an opportunity to escape. He crashed harshly through the brush, electing not to take the path in case any of the assailant Bug types decided to follow him. His legs burned as he ran and he felt a branch scrape harshly at his cheek. (Great, he thought. Another wound to patch up.)

He tumbled forward into what appeared to be another clearing. As he gathered his bearings, he released his grip from around Tux and took in his surroundings. He realized he had reached the other side of the forest and felt a small sense of pride ignite within him. He lifted himself from the ground and examined his body for any more cuts from rogue thorns or offshoots from bushes.

"We're almost to Pewter, Tux!" he said, his excitement clearly evident in his voice. Although his journey had by no means been easy so far, the young man was thrilled to finally be making progress. He signaled that his Piplup could take his place back upon his head.

"Let's go!" He pointed towards the tops of the buildings that were in sight over the rocky cliffs on the horizon and took off running down the path.

When the group of upcoming trainers had decided to leave the scene of the pit, Devon had decided to hang back a little; he was happy to journey with them, sure, but didn’t feel like he fit in just yet. The other kids seemed to already have their friendships and were well acquainted, so the boy felt like he should stay out of their way until he could show each of them that he was strong enough to hold his own. The best way to do this, of course, would’ve been to have a pokemon battle - Devon wished to have a battle with someone so badly, but in the wake of the team rocket attack it just didn’t feel like the right time. When everyone began to talk about their dreams, aspirations and reasons for going on a journey as a trainer, the alolan kid kept quiet. He had his reasons, but for now they were best kept hidden...after all, he didn’t really know any of the other kids and there was no telling how they’d react to him saying why he wanted to take on the gym challenge.

Eventually the kids met a clearing with two gangs of bug-catchers, but Devon kept in the treeline while the others moved forward. He wasn’t one to get involved in childish games and he just saw them as a waste of time; really, the only reason he hadn’t ridden Pigeotto was because he wanted to catch another pokemon, something which he wouldn’t be able to do while occupying himself with the bug-catchers quarrel. The boy sunk back into the treeline, but walked off the path a little so as to see as much of the forest as he could; he’d completely missed Blue’s Ryperior, although it didn’t matter too much because he didn’t expect to get into any trouble of his own. Even if he did, he had his own pokemon to help him out.

There were tons of pokemon in the forest of all shapes, sizes and types, including many birds and bugs from many different regions. Still, in Devon’s mind these were all commonplace; he was looking for something more special and, naturally, more powerful. Little did he know, such a pokemon had been watching him this whole time…

Eventually, the tan boy reached a clearing in the forest filled with flowers. Around him were tons of grass and normal type pokemon - he was pretty sure he’d even spotted a few flabebe like the ones he’d seen on Alola! This seemed like the perfect place to make a new friend for his team, but the question was...who? Flabebe was cool, but had had heard that floette needed a rare item to evolve into a florges which put it off the table completely. There was a family of petilil led by a lilligant, a group of roselia and budew and a hive of combee up in a tree. There were even a few bulbasaur that were native to Kanto! Devon quickly became very interested in the flower field and which pokemon he would catch. He took Subzero out of his pokeball who rolled about on the flowery ground while looking about for something interesting, but quickly decided that he should try and act calm in the presence of so many wild mons.

Being in such a secluded clearing meant that they’d likely never seen a human, or if they had it would’ve been because they were being caught. So he sat cross-legged on the ground looking as calm as could be. The sweet scent of the roselia drifted through the air, but the moment Devon closed his eyes to breathe in deeply he felt something hit the back of his head. Hard. The lad jumped up, but quickly realised that what had hit him was a pokemon, and it was standing right infront of him. He didn’t recognise it right away, but knew from the feeling left in his head that it was powerful. He pulled out his pokedex and scanned it while getting up onto his feet.

“Deerling. The season pokemon. A grass and normal type. The turning of the seasons changes the color and scent of this pokemon’s fur. People use it to mark the seasons.”

Devon staggered a little at the pokedex description of the deerling; he’d never heard of a pokemon that could change colour with the seasons before! What did surprise him, though, was that it was alone. Generally, normal type pokemon travel together, so the only logical conclusion Devon could draw was that it was left behind by its herd at some point. Still, he liked the look of the pokemon and with it being part grass type he knew that he could certainly catch it; his eyes took on a determined shine - the same one that he had gotten when trying to get out of the pit - as he prepared to catch it. The boy set down his bag and pulled out a few empty pokeballs, then called forward Suzero with a wave of his hand. “Alright Deerling! I’m going to catch you then!”

“Subzero! Powder snow!” On command, the sandshrew let loose a flurry of snow which lashed against the enemy pokemon. The deerling hit back with a hardy tackle, but Subzero blocked it with his hard carapace. “Alright, scratch! We don’t want it to faint!” Devon said, tossing a pokeball between his hands while watching the battle unfold. The enemy deerling was cut on its side by the scratch attack, and fell to the floor with its leg in pain. Devon winced for the pokemon, but stopped tossing the pokeball and instead enlarged it by pressing the button on the front. It was actually a premier ball he'd been given as a bonus for buying multiple pokeballs back in Vermillion city; he knew it had the same catch rate as a normal pokeball anyway, but it looked cool and that was all the mattered. The kid launched the pokeball and it struck the deerling on the center of it's head; instantly, the Pokemon retreated inside and the ball began to shake…

Wiggle...wiggle...wiggle...click!!

“Alright Subzero! We caught the deerling! Now she needs a name, huh?” Devon picked up the ball from the ground and took out the Pokemon which looked at him through gritted teeth. He had caught it, yes, but the Pokemon was clearly still roughed up from the battle. To try and fix the issue, Devon pulled out a potion from his bag and sprayed in on the Deerling which made happy noises as he did so. The boy sat with his new Pokemon for a while and read up on it in his Pokedex. Apparently it's pink colouring came because of the season, and that was where the name came from. “Spring! I'll call you spring!” He said with a grin. The deerling frilled and nuzzled her face into Devon's own, and after spending some time in the flowery fields relaxing with his new Pokemon the boy decided to stand up and return to where he'd last seen the other trainers.

This time Devon followed the path back to where the others had been, but he quickly saw Alex escaping the clearing through a patch of bushes. There was something that made it seem like the boy was in a rush, but again Devon didn't want to press. He too realized that they were coming quite close to pallet town and decided that it would be best to keep walking so as to reach the town before nightfall. That is, not before speaking to Alex of course. Spring had a proud personality and ran up to Alex trying to show off her sweet-smelling pelt before Devon could even say hello. “Hey you two! Are you….ok? You seem like you've had a rough time.” He said, looking at the scraped on the Pokemon and his trainer that had resulted from their journey through the brush. “I actually managed to find a new Pokemon in a flower field...sorry I kinda left you though.” Devon then bent down to pet Spring, then looked up at Alex. “This is Spring, my Deerling! She initially tackled me on the back of the head to pick a fight, but I decided to catch her because of how cute and strong she looked. I don't really know what she's like in a fight yet, but hopefully she'll be useful in defeating whoever the leader of the Pewter city Gym is.” Devon blurted out while walking to the side of the boy and his Piplup. Spring hopped ahead of the two, but only so that she could stop a few times to sniff at the bushes for any friendly Pokemon.

"Yeah, we're good," Alex replied, raising his hands to his wounds once more to wipe away any excess blood. "A few bandages should do the trick."

He watched Spring the Deerling bounce happily ahead of them as they walked towards Pewter City.

"She's pretty cute," Alex said smiling. "I've always liked Deerling, especially in the spring. And Grass is good against Rock, right? That's a good strategy." He tried to seem interested, but he was evidently disconnected due to the cacophony of thoughts running through his mind.

He put his hands behind his head and looked up to watch the clouds sail lazily by. He had been suppressing any idea of an end goal for his journey to relieve himself of the anxiety. Did he even want to take the Pokémon League Challenge?

Contests are pretty cool too... he thought.

If he did want to battle Gyms, the natural next step would be to challenge Brock once they arrived. He thought about Tux and the group's run-ins with Team Rocket. He supposed that he didn't particularly have any skill for battles and he had never even beaten another Trainer before.

I guess it couldn't hurt to try. After all, Piplup is a Water type, which would make Tux super effective against Brock's Rock types...

As they arrived in Pewter City, Alex made his way to the Pokémon Center. He entered the warmly-lit building and strode up to the counter, covering the scratches on his face with his palm as to not disturb any squeamish passerby.

"Excuse me," he said to the attendant Nurse Joy. "Do you have anything for this?" He lifted a cupped hand just enough so that she could see his wounds. "I, uh, fell," he added, slightly embarrassed.

"I have just the thing," Nurse Joy said after thinking for a moment. She reached to a shelf below the counter and pulled out a standard Potion. "We usually use these on Pokémon, but they've been shown to have healing effects on humans too! Apply it to your scratches and they should start feeling better in no time!"

Alex eagerly accepted the Potion and thanked her with a nod. He walked over to a bench near the entrance of the Pokémon Center and sat, removing his backpack so that he could relax for a few minutes while the medicine took effect.

He raised the Potion to his cheek and pushed the small button on the front. It stung a bit as it entered his cuts and caused him to wince, but he still managed to allot an ample amount to both sides of his face.

Tux climbed down from his head and sat beside his Trainer.

"Tux," Alex said. "What do you say we try to take on the Gym here?"

Tux seemed slightly surprised at the proposition. He brought a flipper to his beak and furrowed his brow in self-doubt.

"Only if you want to, I mean," he said. "I know we haven't battled a lot yet... But I think we've got a shot. It'll be a good experience, just to see if we like it."

Tux produced a fake confidence and puffed out his chest, as if to show that he was prepared to support Alex's decision. "Pip!" he said.

"Great," Alex said with a smile. "Let's just rest for a few and then we'll get going!"

- - -

"What could Team Rocket possibly want with the fossils? These Pokémon have been dead for centuries!" came a voice.

A woman entered the room, her canvas sneakers sliding silently over the marble floor of the museum. A black beanie covered her wavy blonde hair and she wore the easily recognizable uniform of a Team Rocket grunt. She giggled at her own joke as she approached Walt and Tracer.

"Agent White," she said with a sly but innocent smile, putting her hand to her chest. "At your service!"

"Agent White, at your service!"
Walt glared at the newcomer and muttered:
"I tell the HQ that I'm heading in for a solo mission and in response they send two of you to crash my party. Anyways, White, was it? Start helping us move these goddamn fossils. Those law enforcement pests won't stay put for long."
Carrying a large Helix Fossil, Walt called out to Tracer: "I don't have any shrinking technology on me right now, I say we just grab at least some of the fossils for now. We could probably stuff a good amount of them in the car trunk. If we get caught somehow, we lose everything, so it's better to play it safe."

Mt. Silver: Peak

It had been quite some time since Red last spoke. He just didn't need to anymore, as the only other companions he had were his Pokemon, and he had grown so close to them that it was almost like they could communicate mentally. Ever since that Gold boy came, there was nothing exciting happening on the mountain, so Red kept to his daily meditation on the icy peak. Today, started like any other day for Red:
First, he sent Pikachu down the mountain to get food. He gave Pikachu the job because he knew that it was his most low-key Pokemon and people would probably panic if he sent down something like Charizard. He then sent out his other Pokemon and let them train together, as they still strived to be stronger. Finally, he resumed his own meditation and waited for Pikachu's return.

Except, today, Pikachu didn't return. Red started to worry; Pikachu was never late. If anything, it loved to arrive early and train with its teammates. Suddenly, a small, white Froslass materialized in front of Red. Red jumped in surprise; He was always nervous around ghost types after that whole Lavender Town fiasco. The Pokemon handed him a slip of paper and vanished as suddenly as it came. It read:

"Dear Red,
As you may notice, your Pikachu is missing. We are currently keeping it as a hostage. Report to the base of Mt. Moon in exactly 5 days if you wish to see your dear Pokemon again.

Sincerely,
Team Snagem"

Red felt a boiling anger that he had not felt for a long time rise up as he read the letter over and over again. For the first time in many years, Red spoke:

"I'm not getting any sleep until I hunt down each and every one of you disgusting criminals. If you mess with my Pikachu.....there's going to be a massacre...."

The scrapes on Alex’s cheek were pretty bad, the boy thought, and guessed that something pretty bad must’ve happened for him to run through the forest as fast as he had. Still, the alolan boy nodded when Alex said his comment about the bandages being used to heal him - one of the nurse joys could probably patch it up for him if he asked her to. “Yeah, Grass is good against Rock, although I don’t know what moves she can use just yet. I’ll check my pokedex when we’re at the pokemon centre.” Devon replied, strolling down the path while taking in the sights and sounds of the forest one last time. He didn’t know how long it’d be until he was in another forest again, and since he was raised next to one he really liked spending time in them. Amongst other things, he focused on the leaves in the trees above and how they swayed with the wind - they always did relax him.

More pokemon ran across the ground and swung through the trees overhead, many of which Devon had never even seen. He was surprised by how many pokemon there were and just how different they were from the ones in Alola, and the more he looked the more he realized that he never would be able to see every pokemon in existence. Still, that didn’t matter too much to him anyways. Really, he just wanted to defeat gyms to get more money - not just for himself, but for his family too. Being the only child of a pretty lower class family, Devon explored so that he could try and bring some extra income into his family since there was a lot of money to be made in competitive battling. His family wasn’t exactly penniless, but since his father worked as a fisherman and his mother was left unemployed after the thrifty megamart closed a few years ago, there wasn’t a lot of money being brought into the household. If the kid could somehow get strong, he could become a trial captain in Alola and hopefully provide some kind of stable income while fighting with the pokemon he loved. There was no ice-type trial captain yet, but with mount Lanakia being so close to his home there was room for Devon to step up to the job - with Subzero being the totem, of course.

Eventually, the two had come into a clearing which signified the end of the forest. The path grew wider, and Spring stopped at the edge of the woods which made Devon a little surprised. She’d probably never been out of the woods before, so devon stroked her on the back. “Hey, It’ll be ok…” he said in a soft tone. “We’re going to have some amazing adventures out in the world, so there’s no need to worry! With me by your side - and you by mine - things will turn out ok in the end.” The pokemon nodded her head but narrowed her gaze while looking on. Spring seemed scared still, but edged out slowly alongside Devon. Alex had walked ahead in a daze, but the alolan kid was not far behind. Eventually, the two boys made it to the pokemon centre, but while Aelx stepped inside with Tux perched up on his head Devon called out. “Hey! I’m going to go over to the pokemart to get a few more potions. I’ll be over in a second.” The boy quickly walked over to the blue-rooved building, completely ignoring the commotion going on over in the museum some way aways, and headed inside.

Immediately, he was met by a beautiful character - a female fashionista dressed in a long flowing white dress with a hat to match. She moved over to the boy, and without speaking crouched down to look at spring. “How...cute.” She said, speaking with an accent that Devon had never heard before. “But she’s missing something. Ah ha!” The woman called out, digging around in a handbag she was carrying around her arm. She long piece of light-blue ribbon from the bag, and tied it around Spring’s ear, not too tight but tight enough so that it wouldn’t fall off in a battle. “There...now she’s much more charming!” The woman said, before patting the pokemon on its head then walking out of the pokemart. To some degree, Devon was dumbfounded by her presence, yet was kinda happy about the encounter; it was nice to meet new people, and the kid as certain he hadn’t seen the last of that woman, whoever she was. The alolan boy bent down to his newly-captured deerling, and stroked her too in the same spot that the woman had done. “That was nice, huh?” he said, to which the pokemon giggled. She did look nice with the ribbon on him, he had to admit, and the woman had chosen a color that really matched his pokemon’s pink pelt quite well.

After that, Devon didn’t spend a long time in the pokemart; he brought what he needed and left quickly, although he tried to cut back on the amount of potions he brought out of the fear that he’d run out on money. “Man, I need to battle some more…” he said as he handed his money over to the cashier. “Its a good job there’s a gym in this town, huh?” he said to himself, smiling. The boy and the deerling walked back to the pokemon centre rather hastily and met up with Alex again who had been healed, presumably by nurse joy. “ You know, the weirdest thing just happened. Some fancy lady just put that ribbon on Spring in the pokemart and told me it would make her cuter. It was...weird.” he said with a chuckle. “Give him a twirl, spring!” He said. His pokemon happily obliged, and spun around in place to show off her new ribbon. Devon laughed again, the opened his pokedex on the deerling.

“Hmm...moves. Oh! Here we go! Camouflage, Tackle, Double Kick and Leech Seed” Devon spoke aloud, listing off the moves that Spring knew. He smiled to himself upon reading them - she was just a powerful as he had thought, and the boy knew she would have a chance at beating the gym. “What do you want to do next, Alex?”, the boy asked, curious as to what the other trainer felt like doing next. Devon didn’t really know what to do next, nor did he want to rush into the gym straight away, so felt like doing something which could help him get to know the other boy a little better.

Tracer grunted with effort as he assisted Walt and the new Agent White with hauling the pokemon fossils into the back of the ambulance. They'd ended up using some body bags that Gastly had found, which were oddly appropriate, given the deceased state of the ancient pokemon. Still, the Kabutops alone weighed nearly a hundred pounds, and Tracer was glad to slam the doors on the ambulance at last. How HQ had expected Agent Ruscit to handle this job alone was beyond him. Small wonder someone in upper management had made the impromptu decision to call him in- and White. The Team had certainly been much better-coordinated back when Giovanni was still Boss.

"Get in," he instructed, beckoning to his colleagues as he cranked the gear shift into drive. "We gotta go!"

Within a minute, the museum was out of sight, and the ambulance was rolling down the gravel path of some pokemon breeder's farmland, just south of Route 3. Tracer's intention was to put some distance between himself and the scene of the crime, especially given that Blue seemed to be gunning for them. Given that he'd had no time to develop a proper exit strategy, he was nervous.

"Okay, let's review," Tracer muttered, stopping the vehicle for a moment, looking at his fellow Agents. "Ruscit was told to bust into the museum, and I was called in to keep anyone from interfering. White, you were told to . . . help out, I guess? Anyway, we're now away from prying eyes, and it's getting dark out. I'm not too keen on driving back to the hideout in something so conspicuous as an ambulance, so perhaps we could switch out with one of these bumpkins' pickup trucks. Officer Jenny and the two EMTs are still unconscious in the back, but that won't last forever. I suggest cuffing all three to the gurneys to slow 'em down, and leave them here with the ambulance on this country road, without any keys. By the time they're missed, we'll be back underground with the spoils. Unless anyone's got a better idea?"

~Two Days Prior~
A young trainer was approaching the entrance of the aged and rustic city of Pewter, when an unexpected noise make him change course.

"MAAAAG! NEMIITE! MIITE"

"What the hell was that?" Zander spoke aloud, stopping in his tracks as the sound of tortured cries filled his ears.
The shaggy haired boy made his way down a long dirt path leading off the main route to the entrance Pewter, eventually coming across a downed power line that had been sparking violently upon arrival. Among the tangled cords was a badly damaged Magnemite, discharging large amounts of electricity on occasion.

"Woah....hey there bud. Want some help?" He asked, leaning in towards the injured Pokémon, only for it to send out a violent zap as he did so.
"Hm...wont be able to touch it,but I can't just leave it here. Guess I've got no choice." The young man noted internally, sliding a pokeball out of his back pocket before tossing it out to the downed Magnemite. A flash of red light engulfed the Pokémon before encasing it in the ball.

"Tick....tick....tick...." The ball shook slowly, taking a long time to settle, before finally making a satisfying ping sound, signifying Zander's success.

"Well, I hadn't intended to add a new teammate yet, buuuut you might just come in handy."

~Present Day~
The heavy doors of Pewter Cities Gym were swung open by an enthusiastic looking Zander.
"Brock! I'm here to challenge you!" He shouted quite loud, showing no signs of hesitation or worry as he made his way to the center of the room.
"Do you except?" He spoke up once more, his voice a bit quieter as he awaited a response from the older trainer, just barely visible in the shadows at the back of the room.

"A strange lady?... That is weird." Alex nodded in agreement. He looked at Tux who seemed to have gotten over his initial alarm at the prospect of a Gym battle and was now brimming with a resolute confidence in overcoming a new challenge. "I think we might try to challenge the Pewter Gym. I feel like it'll be good practice. I dunno." He shrugged his shoulders, wanting to appear modest, and met Devon's gaze. "How about you?"

Just then, the Pokémon Center doors next to them slid open with their mechanical whir. A short, mustachioed man with a thinning hairline jogged breathlessly inside, his work clothes, a white button-down with light blue pinstripes and gray khaki pants, matted to his portly body with sweat. He wore a pin attached to the pocket of his dress shirt that signified he was a curator at the Pewter Museum.

"Nurse Joy," he panted, placing his hands on his knees. "We *pant* need *pant* your help!"

A concerned look came across Nurse Joy's face and she rushed out from behind the counter to help him. He shook his hand in front of him as she approached, signaling that he was alright and just needed to catch his breath.

"The museum," he said finally. "There's been a break-in. I wasn't sure what to do, so I called the police. We haven't heard anything. I think we should call for assistance."

Nurse Joy nodded knowingly and returned to her spot behind the counter.

"Chansey," she said, her normally singsongy voice being replaced with a determined tone. "Take care of healing Pokémon for me for a few moments, please."

"Chans!" the Egg Pokémon said with a nod, plopping its round, pink body down in front of the healing machine.

Nurse Joy accessed the Center's PC. Within a few clicks, she had reached the program that allowed Trainers to make phone calls from the device.

"It would take the Cerulean Police too long to get through Mt. Moon," she thought aloud, focusing on the list of local contacts that scrolled on the screen. "We'll have to send an alert to Viridian."

She began to type frantically on the keyboard. Alex couldn't quite see the screen from where he was sitting, but could make out the blurry image of a police officer communicating through video chat.

"Officer," she said, remaining calm. "There's been a break-in."

The museum curator burst onto the scene, sticking his round head between Nurse Joy's elbow and her torso. "It's terrible!" he cried in a panic. "You need to get here noooowwww!"

Nurse Joy lifted her arm to release the man and gently guided him away from the screen.

"The Pewter Museum is under attack. The thieves may not still be there, but the area should still be patrolled just to be on the safe side." She rolled her eyes at the conduct of the horrified man.

The officer on the other end nodded. "We'll be there as soon as possible." The window closed.

Nurse Joy sighed as the museum curator seemed to spiral further and further into complete hysteria, all the while sweating profusely. "What do you say we get you a glass of water?" she said to him.

"I bet it this had something to do with Team Rocket," Alex whispered to Devon, not wanting to alarm any of the other patients in the Pokémon Center. "Should we check it out?"

- - -

"Hm." Abby nodded in agreement with Tracer's planned. He seemed to know what he was doing and definitely appeared qualified, especially after the way she had just seen him masterly pilot an ambulance.

"I can take care of these guys," she said, grabbing the handcuffs and twirling them playfully around her pointer finger in an attempt to look cool. She grabbed the wrists of Officer Jenny and the EMTs and began to lock them securely to the gurneys.

Won't they get hungry? Or thirsty? she thought suddenly. What if no one finds them here for a while?

Abby was filled with guilt. She took the key to the handcuffs out of her pocket and placed it in Officer Jenny's open palm, closing it into a fist in the process so that Tracer and Walt would not see.

There. At least now they can't say I didn't do my job.

She leapt out of the back of the ambulance and followed the others' leads.

- - -

"Brock! I'm here to challenge you!"

A young man's voice echoed off the walls of the Gym. Brock turned, stuffing a Super Potion and a strange red elixir made from some sorts of berries into his pocket. An Onix curled its rocky tail around the Gym Leader and roared to life, having been healed from its previous battle against Jakobi. Brock couldn't help but to smile, his stern facade crumbling. It had been years since so many eager Trainer had bid to challenge him in a single day...

"I accept," he replied, withdrawing back into his alternate persona. He enjoyed trying to intimidate beginning Trainers, though he was naturally friendly and caring.

"Two Pokémon each," he said, pulling a Poké Ball off of his belt. "First one to faint both of his opponent's wins. Let's see how you handle my rock-hard Pokémon."

He tossed the Poké Ball into the middle of the rocky arena. The Ball popped open and a Geodude materialized from a beam of red light, flexing its craggy biceps.

Last edited: