• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What Was the Hardest Fight in Pokemon Sun and Moon?

A lot of people agree that Pokémon Sun and Moon was a step up in difficulty from the easy X and Y. This includes a lot of hard battles. We have like, what, 10 Champion Challengers? But in your opinion, what is the hardest Pokémon fight in Pokémon Sun and Moon? SPOILERS FOR SUN AND MOON!
In my opinion, the hardest fight is Mother Beast Lusamine, the fusion between Lusamine and Nihilego. Yes, not even a champion challenger, something far worse. Some could argue that Lusamine's Pokémon aren't so hard if you grind and bring counters, but I disagree. Every. Single. One. Has a different gimmic that is super annoying. Let's start with Clefable. This thing is the all out lead that is designed to be annoying. Lusamine's Clefable is determined to keep you fighting it. It can heal itself with Moonlight, widdle you down with Moonblast, raise it's defense with Cosmic Power, and gamble its luck with Metronome. One time, I tried to fight her with my event Victini that I brought over from ORAS. Clefable used Sketch and took my V-Create! Next is Lusamine's Lilligant, her status. With Leech Seed, Stun Spore, and Teeter Dance, Lilligant can set up drain HP and make you unable to attack so her other Pokémon could have an easier time. Lilligant also has Petal Dance to try and take you down. After that is her Mismagius, her all out attacker. Mismagius is packing very powerful attacks, Shadow Ball, Power Gem, and Mystical Fire. This wouldn't be too bad if it didn't have Pain Split. Just when you think you can beat it, it always uses Pain Split. Now, it's time for her set-up. Milotic. It will always use Safeguard to try and protect her next Pokémon. Then it'll stall with Flail and Recover before using Hydro Pump. We saved the worst for last... Lusamine's... Goshdarn... Bewear. Remember how I said Milotic used Safeguard? Well, enter a Defensive Wall with Baby-Doll Eyes to make sure you can't do anything to it. When I fought Lusamine's Bewear, it spammed Baby-Doll Eyes 6 times on the first turns it was out! Bewear also has Hammer Arm and Take Down, two powerful attacks. And of course, to round it all out, it has Pain Split. But I haven't even mentioned the hardest part of Mother Beast Lusamine's Fight. Every one of them has a Totem Aura, giving Clefable extra Special Defense, Lilligant extra Special Attack, Mismagius extra Speed, Milotic extra Attack, and of course... Bewear extra Defense. Though Lusamine was one of my favorite characters in Sun and Moon, her battle as Mother Beast Lusamine was just way too hard in my opinion. After the fight, Lusamine drops to the ground, separated from Nihilego, says a few sweet words to her daughter, then passes out. I honestly thought, for a split second, that Lusamine had just died right in front of me. I don't mean for this to sound offensive, but I honestly would've liked it that way. It would give a dark story twist, plus the other parts of the game were kind of leading up to it. But alas, it's Nintendo.

So, I'm curious. What do you think the hardest fight in Sun and Moon was? Tell me in the comments below!

The game was super easy (for me) up until one point. I had 0 deaths, thought I could be the first player to beat Sun with no losses, but then kukui just ruined my life. I had him down to Braviary only, and yes, I had Alolan Raichu, but brave bird managed to OHKO it! I had nothing else that was super effective or has a lot of damage, but I got it down to red HP and I was down to incineroar, my last pokemon. it used brave bird, and I thought it was going to faint itself, but it survived on like 1 HP. Incineroar was down. I cried for like 30 minutes after that loss

Honestly, everything was pretty much easy; save for a few ultra beasts that ate hundreds of my ultra balls, as the hardest fight had to be Lusamine when she fuses with Nihilego.

The very first Pokémon she sent out made my Charmander almost dry of PP, as her high HP and healing really annoyed the heck out of him. The rest was pretty easy though since he was able to sweep them with STAB and the powerful move which unfortunately reached 0 PP by the time it was over...

Mine had to be Lurantis, with Hapu coming in for a second place.

Lurantis was level 24, yet it could wreck my team of level 30's. Its Sunny Day into Solar Blade killed my Dartrix in one hit, and then all else went from there. Trumbeak wasn't painful, but Castform Fire had a fire move (I forgot) that would kill the other Pokemon who hung on by a bit of HP from Solar Blade. It took me 7 tries to beat it (and that is why the Grubbin line is my favorite bug line) and it was still close that time.
Hapu wasn't hard at all. I lost because I made dumb choices. The first time, I had under leveled a ton and I didn't stand a chance. The second time, I made a bad move (I had Decidueye use Leaf Blade instead of Frenzy Plant) and I lost because the last Pokemon didn't die. The third time, I got away with a victory, and the rest was easy as heck.
The Mother Beast Battle took me forever, but I won on the first attempt. So, yeah.

Also, Ilima;s Smeargle was pretty tough, but it wan't rage until I die bad.

I feel like the final Lusamine battle was the hardest. The stat boosted Clefable managed to get off a couple Cosmic Power and spammed Moonlight, it was annoyingly stally. When I finally managed to beat Clefable, her other Pokemon we're tanky from the boosts, but I was able to take them out. Then came the Bewear...It managed to survive a Psychic from Alolan Raichu and took it out. It put a massive hole in my team (I had to start spamming potions and revives). Finally about 5 revives later.. Primarina managed to land a Moon blast. That was the hardest battle in Sun and Moon for me.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Weirdly, I didn't have much trouble with the final Lusamine fight – it's been ages since I played it, but I think I just managed to outspeed most of her Pokémon and knock them out fairly easily. The tricky fights for me were some of the later Totem Pokémon, purely because they summoned their allies to effectively get an extra attack per turn. It was less difficult and more just tedious, but that's the only real friction I remember clearly from Sun and Moon – the rest of the game had a relatively shallow difficulty curve, so it wasn't too hard to stay on top of levelling and not have too much trouble with most of the major opponents.

Last edited:
That is some of what I had to experience. I only had to retry with Totem Salazzle and Totem Lurantis, while Vikavolt and Mimikyu were the ones I grinded my teeth for. I was down to one or two Pokemon, and that's when I got them down. Kommo-o was easy because my Decidueye knew Brave Bird at the time (and it still does) and that's how I wiped Hakamo-o. I used Decidium Z (like I did at the end of every prominent battle to sweep their last Pokemon) to get Komo-o down, and that was it. Lusamine wasn't bad at all - as I have stated previously - and the Hakunas weren't bad other than Hapu.

Possibly Mimikyu was the toughest for me, that ability, and that it knows a Fairy move, kept taking down my dark types very quickly