• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Which Starter?

I am soon going to start up my copy of Pokemon White 2, I really like all the starters, and I can't choose! Can you please tell me which one won't give me a really hard time battling, I prefer to learn the story!

Ok so far after research and stuff I have one tally for snivy, one for tepig, and three for oshawott, I'm still going to wait a bit and see what I get as a reply, so feel free to continue answering!

All three have their merits, though Tepig evolves into a Fire-Fighting type which is pretty good coverage for different types.
Oshawott is also pretty good and can learn five HM moves including Surf and Strength.
And Snivy is last only because I haven't used it as much as the other two, but I know it has good stats and could get you through battles quick.

Honestly, I'd choose Oshawott, but that's just me. ;)

Black 2/White 2 has a very good selection of Pokemon available from the start to cover bases, so there really isn't a starter that will disadvantage you getting through the story. I've used all three over a few playthroughs. Found them all about as equally useful in the end for getting through things. Given that, my personal favourite is the Oshawott line for design choice reasons, so I'd have to say pick that if there really isn't one you know you just like more than the others.

Personally, I believe each of the 3 starters are roughly equal in terms of quality. I chose Tepig In White 2 because I chose him in Black and I learned Emboar can learn a big ass variety of moves. Also, like Javelin mentioned, B2/W2 gives you a good selection of pokemon early in the game to cover the weaknesses of your starter, whichever one you chose. This is my current team in White 2, and each of the pokemon on the trainer card except for Latias have been in my party since either gym 3 or 4. Latias replaced the Ampharos I had. As of right now, each of the pokemon on the trainer card are level 83 except for Emboar, he's at 84.

Attachments

• Trainer card.png
    Trainer card.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 47
I only own Y and OR so I'm just gonna put down all of the gens anyway
Gen 1: Charmander FIRE
Gen 2: Cyndaquil FIRE
Gen 3: Treecko GRASS
Gen 4: Turtwig GRASS
Gen 5: Tepig FIRE
Gen 6: Fennekin FIRE
Gen 7: Popplio WATER
Weird. I have a pattern of Fire x2, Grass x2, Fire x2 but Popplio stops the pattern
Also, I wouldn't of picked a Water starter until Sun & Moon

Last edited:
Gonna give a list of starters by gen. I can't choose one! .-."

Gen 1: Squirtle (because Mega Blastoise)
Gen 2: Totodile (because I love Feraligatr)
Gen 3: Mudkip (because it's the first one I ever got to Level 100, and Mega Swampert)
Gen 4: Turtwig (because it's the first starter that I did a Nuzlocke with, and it never died!)
Gen 5: Oshawott (because I wanted to crush my friend, who chose Tepig -~-" And Samurott looks cool)
Gen 6: Froakie (because NINJA. NUFF SAID xD)
Gen 7: Popplio (oh boy... my reasons. One: Because all of my friends are gonna choose Litten and I wanna beat them, and Two: It's leaked evolution is just... I love it! Oh! And Three: Because water types xD)

Uh... huh... that's a water trend if I've ever seen one, minus Gen 4 o.o

Gen 1: Charizard (Kinda anime, but also because of the challenge it gave to me. Even though the Gyms were a breeze. Like all of them. It also allowed me to get Raichu to become one of my favorite pokemon ever, because of the moment I had with it. I mean Gen 1 like Red and Blue not remakes)
Gen 2: Feraligatr (I like water types a lot. Common theme will be seen.)
Gen 3: Mudkip (Best pokemon ever. Three words, all I got to say about it.)
Gen 4: Torterra (I've also liked Turtwig compared to Piplup and Chimchar)
Gen 5: Samurott (I like water types like I said, and I also had really no choice. I really do hate Unova the most. It isn't really appealing like other generations.)
Gen 6: Greninja (I picked it, because it honestly looks cool, and I didn't know until Level 36, how cool this thing really is. I mean Frogaider doesn't really look cool, however Greninja, then were getting serious. And also, Froakie's battle face is damn serious.)
Gen 7: Rowlet or Popplio (If the leaks are true, I honestly would pick Rowlet, because I LOVE Rowlet's leak design. It makes me feel pretty cool to have some cool archer bird on my team. This would also give me the ability to use one of my FAVORITE new pokemon, Mudsdale. I mean, we got a bad ass horse. If the leak aren't I might choose Popplio. Popplio's final evolution in the leak, doesn't look appealing to me. But I might pick Rowlet in Sun, and Popplio in Moon, cause I got lucky and pre-ordered both.
Nick, Champion of Kanto.png
Like I said before, Water is my common theme here. Anyways, here is my complete Blue trainer card, for 1st time Champion.

Gen 1: Not counting Pikachu, Squirtle. I like all four starters almost equally (Pikachu is one of my all time faves though, so yeah) but I usually pick Squirtle.
Gen 2: Cyndaquil. I have a soft spot for Totodile as well, but I've grown more fond of Cyndaquil recently.
Gen 3: Treecko. I didn't like the other two starters as much.
Gen 4: Chimchar all the way.
Gen 5: Oshawott. But I actually think this set of starters is pretty lackluster overall.
Gen 6: Froakie all the way, because Greninja is really cool.
Gen 7: I'm pretty undecided as of now? At first I was thinking I was definitely going to go for Rowlett, but the other two are growing on me a bit more now so I'm just not sure.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 2: Chikorita
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 5: Oshawott (White), Snivy (Black 2)
Gen 6: Fennekin first time, Chespin second time
Gen 7: Litten (???)