• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

White 2 Sun Team Help

I've currently been working on a Sun team. I'd like to know if there's anything I can improve or that I should change.

Ninetales @ Float Balloon
Modest
Drought
252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP

-Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
-Hypnosis
-Sunny Day

This is my standard sun lead. Mainly just for dropping sun, but the max speed and hypnosis makes for a good lead. I want to replace Sunny day as I rarely have any use for it, but when I DO use it, it can be very useful. I also don't know what I'd replace it with.

Venusaur@ Black sludge
Timid
Chlorophyll
252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP

-Giga Drain
-Sleep powder
-Growth
-Sluge Bomb/ HP (fire)

My ace in the hole. Chlorophyll makes him fast enough to outspeed even some scarfed pokemon. Sleep powder allows me to use growth once. Then Giga drain and black sludge let Venusaur sit and recover while it sweeps. Ideally, I'd have hidden power fire to avoid being walled by steels, but a specific HP is harder to get.

Charizard@ Fire Gem
Modest
Solar Power
252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd

-Flamethrower
-Air slash
-Focus blast
-Sunny day

Just a sweeper. Air Slash for STAB and Focus Blast for coverage and Heatrans. Flamethrower is a choice based on accuracy and the fact that STAB+Sun+Solar power+Fire Gem hurts things. Also, Sunny Day sees an INSANE amount of use on Charizard. Why does it make such a good weather inducer? I don't know and i don't question it.

Blastoise@Red Card
Bold
Rain Dish
252 HP/ 168 Sp. Def/ 88 Def

-Scald
-Rapid spin
-Toxic
-Dragon tail

A rapid spinner because my team dies to Stealth rocks. The red card solves a fundamental problem with having a rapid spinner. If they switch in a ghost type, I can let them attack, be forced out, then spin can go off. I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what I'm doing with this one.

Volcarona@ leftovers
Bold
Flame Body
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spd

-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Quiver Dance
-Morning Sun

A standard Volcarona. The odd EV spread is actually VERY effective. It let's volcarona survive non STAB rock moves. Also morning sun and leftovers results in an 80% recovery if it ges off.

Haxorus@ Lum berry
Jolly
Mold Breaker
252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP

-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Brick Break
-Dragon Claw

Standard Haxorus to handle special walls. Not much here.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
'Zard and Blastoise strike me as underwhelming right off the bat. As nice as Solar Power 'Zard is the residual damage combined with 100 Base Speed and Modest nature will likely see him dead before he's done much. Blastoise just isn't that great a pick as a Rapid Spinner on a team like this, especially when you lack any entry hazards of your own to use.

Forretress would work better than Blastoise here. If you want to keep the Red Card strategy, Forretress resists Ghost-type moves and is so slow the opponent is guaranteed to be forced out before Forretress uses Rapid Spin (Blastoise on the other hand is faster than Jellicent so his Rapid Spin would fail, for example.) Plus Forretress gives you Stealth Rock and Spikes etc. to utilize.

'Zard I don't see the point in when Volcarona is already there and there's far better sweepers out there anyway. Heat Rotom could possibly work here as could Infernape since the ape kills special walls quite handily. Just because 'Zard hits hard doesn't mean he's good at what he does.

Finally, I'd keep Sunny Day on Ninetales due to other weather 'Mons (Politoed and Tyranitar especially) being slower and thus placing their weather effects over yours if they lead off, and keeping Sunny Day can neutralize that somewhat if you're daring enough to stay in on them (and they may not expect you to.)

Stealth Rock support would aid you greatly. KoL already mentioned Forretress, but Infernape and Heatran also work well and can abuse Sun-boosted STAB.

For Ninetales, Hidden Power-Ice is a good attacking move, and really helps take down things like Gliscor and Landorus, who expect to EQ you(you probably know by now that very few people pay attention to when something says that X-mon is floating on a balloon). Energy Ball is a good alternative to SolarBeam if you keep finding yourself caught in a weather war, as people will see SolarBeam and try to use it against you. Due to Sleep Clause, I like to forego Hypnosis(and it's shoddy accuracy) for Will-o-Wisp, which will cripple any physical attacker that thinks it can remove you(like Tyranitar, Landorus, Terrakion, etc).

On Venusaur, I'd swap Sludge Bomb for Earthquake. Poison has virtually no coverage, and Earthquake helps take out a lot of counters, especially with a couple of Growths under your belt.

I agree with KoL on Blastoise and Charizard feeling very out of place here. If you're looking for a Sun Sweeper to replace 'Zard, I suggest Sawsbuck. Swords Dance and Life Orb make this thing wreck. If the weather changes, he can still take out the other Weather Inducers except for Scarf Politoed and some Abomasnow variants. Heatran is a good sweeper even without Sun, so the extra boost from that is lovely for his STAB. Infernape, for reasons mentioned by KoL.

For Haxorus, I'd honestly suggest Moxie 'mence instead. He can run the Dragon Dance/EQ/Fire Blast/Dragon-STAB set and then keep raising his attack. His Special Attack lets him make good use of Sun-boosted Fire Blast, which is handy for killing Scizor and Ferrothorn that try to switch in. Latios is also a good option, having insanely good speed and special attack.