• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (SPOILERS!)

What aspect of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm are you most excited about?

• New Race/Class combinations (Night Elf Mages, Tauren Paladins, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guild Progression & Achievements to reap rewards

• I'm not that excited.

• New content ("New" Old World, Vashj'ir, Mount Hyjal, Uldum, Deepholm, etc.; this includes dungeons a

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • New races (Worgen, Goblins)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • New Race/Class combinations (Night Elf Mages, Tauren Paladins, etc.)

• Guild Progression & Achievements to reap rewards

• I'm not that excited.

• New content ("New" Old World, Vashj'ir, Mount Hyjal, Uldum, Deepholm, etc.; this includes dungeons a

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • New races (Worgen, Goblins)

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Hi everyone, Andrew here! I wanted to start a topic about World of Warcraft: Cataclysm because, a week ago, I won a Beta key from Tankspot and have been playing the new expansion quite thoroughly, looking for bugs and all-around enjoying the brand new content as they see fit to give to us. Anyways, this topic, I hope, will allow me to keep a log of my adventures in the new world: if you don't want to read what I have to say about the beta (which is, by no means, absolutely final, though a lot of it will be by this point in time) then please do not further read this topic. However, this is not to say that I do not encourage discussion about the game. I will be posting my "diaries" in spoiler brackets so be aware of this, please.

Thanks guys!
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW: Cataclysm Beta Day 1
Day 1 of my World of Warcraft Cataclysm beta testing was a lot of fun. I got to try out all of the new priest talents and sunk, literally, into Vashj'ir. I have completed the Kelp Forest and am on my way to the Shimmering Expanse, if I am not mistaken. All of the quests are very simple to complete and don't take much effort- however, with some of the said quests, there are a very, very low rate of mobs per person in order to complete it. One of the quests required me to kill 8 sea snakes that only spawned in a specific area, 3-5 at a time, and extremely slowly at that. On top of that, there were 2-5 other people on the same quest at any given time. I can imagine that, during the first while that Cataclysm is official out of Beta and all of the players are rushing to 85, many of these quests will become quite tedious to complete.

Irregardless of what negative aspects I found, I am thoroughly enjoying myself and planning to keep a diary of my experiences in the beta here in my Facebook Notes.

Seahorse Mount
seahorse.jpg

WoW: Cataclysm Beta Day 2 & 3 (Big Spoilers!)
My second day of beta testing I continued in the Shimmering Expanse of Vashj'ir where I met the first of two ancient shellfish-like creatures, Nespirah. She was being invaded by Naga who had, though the information wasn't yet given to you at this point, been trying to control her for evil purposes via power they were harnessing from an Old God of the deep. You manage to save her after learning much about the naga and even becoming a naga for a while in a quest chain titled "Remembering the Past" where you remember the greatness that is the city of Vashj'ir. This quest line was breathtaking and, all-in-all, possibly my favorite that I've done in the entire zone.After the Shimmering Expanse you continue to the Abyssal Depths where things aren't looking quite as bright as they had been in the previous area. You meet Nespirah's brother, L'Ghorek who, unfortunately, is dying and in desperate need of your help. Faceless Ones are corrupting him and everything in the surrounding area (nature, creatures, and all), in order to harness his power much like they tried Nespirah. Unfortunately, even after defeating the Faceless' leader and the Twilight's Hammer cult, L'Ghorek dies. Meanwhile, the naga escape, only to take Neptulon the Tidehunter under their control, sucking him back into the Abyssal Maw, or Plain of Water, to do even more nasty deeds. This leads you to the Throne of the Tides instance which I have not yet experienced.

Now I am looking over some of the Old World changes. The giant lava-filled chasm in the barrens, the water-filled Thousand Needles, and the drenched Tanaris. I'm currently flying over Uldum, the way into Deepholm, I believe, though I don't think it's yet implemented. Here are some more screenshots of my journey.

Funny-looking fish.
fishif.jpg

Ruins of Vashj'ir.
monuments.jpg

Vision of the Past quest.
visionofthepast.jpg

Steps of Fate at Uldum.
stepsoffate.jpg

WoW: Cataclysm Beta Day 4-9
I have completed both Vashj'ir and Mount Hyjal now (I forgot to take screen shots of Hyjal, unfortunately) and am waiting for The Maelstrom to not be broken. Currently, the portal that takes you there causes instant death while resurrecting does the same. It's a pain to get out of there.

But today (Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2010) they're implementing a new build into Beta so hopefully everything is fixed and they've added new content. Here's a screen shot of the new Cataclysm launcher!

Cataclysm Launcher.
launcherzz.jpg

WoW: Cataclysm Beta Day 10-11
So I finished Deepholm and started Uldum; thank god that the new build they implemented fixed the portal to The Maelstrom. I don't have much to say, honestly, except for AMAZING. Deepholm was breathtaking and a lot of fun to complete while Uldum, well, I'm still looking for the breath I lost when the opening cinematic happened. The artwork, music, and overall feel of the zone all compile to always make you stare, jaw wide open, in amazement.

The Maelstrom
wowscrnshot090210071712.jpg

Uldum Architecture 1
wowscrnshot090310170309.jpg

A malevolent Djinn
wowscrnshot090310170707.jpg

Uldum Architecture 2
wowscrnshot090310173049.jpg

JEALOUS!!!

I'm pretty much excited about everything in Cata. I have a bunch of goodies ready for my goblin mage and worgen priest to use and I'm ready to start leveling with impunity. The waiting is killing me especially since my guild has been infected with pre-expansion doldrums. We've been working on heroic ICC 10 off and on but everyone's really thinking of one thing.

Also, wtf they're taking out ZG I still need those mounts!!1

Lol, I know! ZG is really fun to fly around now, though! :p I'm leveling in Deepholm now. 83 1/2, iirc. But I'm taking a tiny break for tonight. Will probably play more in ~an hour.

At least you've actually beaten the Lich King! My guild has been lolligagging on him lately so I haven't been playing on Live very much.

There's a new diary post for those who want to read it. Included are a picture of The Maelstrom, and 3 gorgeous pictures of Uldum.

I also found this picture of a naughty Harpy in Mount Hyjal that I forgot I had.

wowscrnshot082810023815.jpg