• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sun/Moon Singles Wow, Shiny's Back Into Competitive?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Nah, I just was playing around with trying to make a team while at work and also reviving a very dead board. This team is based off of my old Gen VI team, just saying.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z or Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Disguise
252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

Pretty standard Mimikyu imo, use Disguise to allow setting up at least once and then murder things. I'm considering switching Shadow Claw with another move for more coverage if need be but Mimikyu's learnset doesn't provide for much else outside of maybe Drain Punch or X-Scissor. Maybe Will-o-wisp if need be?

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes / Stealth Rock

A longtime staple of my teams now, I don't think there's too much for me to say about this guy.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Sheer Force
252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Special attacker with decent coverage. I'm considering switching T-bolt for Flamethrower to better deal with certain steel dual-types, namely Scissor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, etc.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
Pressure
252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch/Low Kick
- Taunt

I liked leading with Weavile well enough with my oldest team back in the day, and this moveset served me well to ruin a few people's plans. Knock Off and Taunt are annoying for anyone trying to stallbreak or wall me, Ice Shard is a good priority move, and the toss up for Low Kick vs Ice Punch is because I'm not sure which one is more beneficial in the metagame these days.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Water Absorb
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Cleric of the team, also a holdover from my Gen VI days. A Shiny team isn't complete without an Eeveelution, and I do love Vaporeon very much. Heal Bell was chosen over Toxic or anything similar because I don't think most of my 'mons would take a burning too well. Taunt would definitely ruin Vapy in most cases, though.

I'm not entirely sure who I want or need for my 6th slot. Maybe some sort of bulky 'mon that can status the enemy? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Finally got around to this.

There's not much to be said about what you already have. It's fairly standard stuff and it works very well. Vaporeon being prone to Taunt is the only clear issue, as that particular set on it hasn't really aged too well since Gen V, also as a 'Mon that could potentially cover Skarmory's Sp.Def side, it's also weak to Electric.

As for the final slot, if I absolutely can't think of anything to fill it with, I usually fall back on one of two 'Mons in particular: Heatran or Bisharp. For whatever reason both of them seem to fit into most teams fairly nicely due to a combination of uses (Bisharp gets Knock Off, Sucker Punch and trolls Defog with Defiant, Heatran can burn, Taunt, switch into Will-O-Wisp) and both of them can hit very hard.

If neither of those appeal to you, then something to cover Vaporeon and Skarmory's shared Electric weakness might come in handy. Nidoking can sort-of do it, but he may not necessarily be able to capitalize on it...

...but this Raichu might be able to:

Raichu @ Leftovers
Lightning Rod
Timid

- Volt Switch
- Nuzzle
- Encore
- Hidden Power Ice/Grass Knot

Jump in on an Electric-type move and play the guessing game. Nuzzle will cripple anything fast that it can hit (which will really help Nidoking since it isn't the quickest,) Volt Switch lets Raichu escape while inflicting a decent sting, Encore-locking the opponent into their Electric-type move can get Raichu's Lightning Rod two boosts if your opponent somehow doesn't expect it, and the Hidden Power is to catch out any Ground-types that try to switch in expecting Volt Switch or Nuzzle.

Also worth noting; you haven't got a Mega Evolution here yet, so that 6th slot could be used for that. I do remember you liking Mega Altaria if memory serves.