• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Jappio's Poke Splices, Fakemon, and Captace Region

New thing done. Now I have a jumping animation. I still need to find out if there are special jumps for forwards and back though. The height and speed are also pending still.

RaizouJump-1.png

RaizouJump.gif

Ok, my inability to just stick to run project has once again taken over. The bright side is that this didn't take long at all, so I didn't waste much time. My friend and I were talking about how Metroid and Castlevania games aren't too different. We figured it wouldn't too hard to make it so Samus would be taking down creatures of the night. This lead to me thinking, and I figured, yeah, it would work. The idea I have would be that you could just take something like Aria of Sorrow, a game I'd assume would be easy to do a ROM hack of. Change the sprites to look like Samus. Then make it so you can only equip the gun weapon, but perhaps make it a little stronger. Samus is now shooting skeletons, axe armors, and even Dracula now. I mean a lot of the sprites would have to be scratched. Like the black panther super fast moving ability could become Samus's hyper speed run thing.

So just to test the waters, I attempted to make Samus in the style. What I got wasn't too bad I'd have to say. I tried it on a background too, and to me she seems similar enough to Soma. She stick out just a little weird due to the orange, but Soma has a pure white coat, so I think it's even. I don't know if I will continue this. I don't think it'd be too hard, and it would be kind of neat. However I do have other projects that probable need more attention to. This though as I said wasn't too hard, every now and again I might throw a few new frames in.

Samus-1.png

Ok so recently I decided to do another tutorial, this time in one video. Of course since it is shorter, it's not as solid explanation-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSQsgMWhdWk

Ok, I went ahead and changed up some issues that I could figure out that people were telling me about. Better/more realistic standing pose, better abs, and more. I still plan to go back and tweak and fix problems later again. Also more frames and stuff where needed. C+C is again very welcome. I didn't redo the punch since I'm sure how I want to fix it still, so I decided to put it to the side. I should now be back on schedule and work on more jumps, running, and crouch sprites. I also realize I have a finger count inssue in the animation. Lastly I'd like to say please ignore the speed of the animation in some areas. These were very rough estimates, I don't know how fast Raizou will move for these, since I'm not actually in charge of the balancing and coding of the characters. Also the jump is quite exaggerated as a convenient way to loop the animation.

NewRaizou.gif

NewRaizouDisplaySheet.png

Well everyone, I have to let you all know, I'm putting the Fighting Game on hiatus. I have decided that I am not doing as good as I'd like with the style. So instead of just continuously working on the same old fighting game sprites making small changes to the style, redoing everything continuously, I will instead just work on other things. I will return to my splices, and my Fakemon. I will also continue random projects. The idea is that this will increase my skill, without having the blandness of the same old thing.

So then, here is a new splice sheet to kick things off. A small amount of requests but a few things of my own choice. The trainer sprites are for some RP characters, so pretty simplistic. Oh and the Quilfish splice is suppose to not be great, it's more of an inside joke between a friend and I.

SpliceSheet45.png

Wow, that first splice looks amazing, with possible exception of the head, which looks a tad odd and small. The Reptilian bug beast, for some unknown reason, reminds of the critter from the Korean (South, almost invariably) horror-monster film, even though they look nothing alike.

I have to say that your sctrach-sprites for your game, though nice, were not your best work in comparison to what else you've done (of course, those are splices mixed with re-colours). Your plan on developing your skills is perfectly understandable - scratching more parts of your sprites might help, but you've most likely already thought of that (anyways, what would I know?).

Good to see you're still spriting though, they look pretty (if silly in places xD).

Ok a new sprite finished, and I am particularly found of this one. Probably by far my favorite bad guy. A totally awesome and amazing dude, the King of Evil himself, Ganondorf! I made him for a contest, that I hope to win. If anyone can do it, it's him. He isn't in any specific style. Just a basic sprite I did of the G'Dorf.

Ganondorf.png

Oh my, finally back. I was sad to not have this delightful place to post my sprites anymore. Now though I have a good chunk of sprites to show. A shame since now I fear none will get the exclusive attention I'd like to give them. Lots of different stuff. For the most part I just copied and pasted the same posts that I had with the images the first time I posted them other areas.

-------------------------------

With my recent decision to again be going freelance and random with my sprite making, this meant the return of Fakemon. Last time on Fakemon creation I had been redesigning and making all my Fakemon so they work in the 3rd Gen style. Well I have finished with what I left off with, the starters:

3rdGenFakemonSheet2-1.png

For those that don't know, my grass line consists of Boty, Botablitz, and Botamizer. The first is just a plain grass type, while the other two are electric grass. The idea behind them is that the solar energy of photosynthesis supplies it with electricity.

The fire starter family are now going to need to new names, being there concept slightly changed. Their new names are Raggle, Dolflare, and Flamewell. The last two are Fire/Ghost, first is a Fire type. The idea is a doll possessed by an evil spirit that eventually burns it away.

The water starter's names are Hermunch, Merboxser, Pummelid. The first is water, the second two are Water/Fighting. Obviously on a boxing squid type thing.

I'm considering altering the size of the first two families. Seem a little tiny to be 3rd gen style. I don't know if much else has to be changed. I much prefer how I have them now then I did back in the past.

---------------------------------

Have a new sprite everyone. Made him for a contest, one that sadly hasn't like concluded. Same goes for Ganon. I enter cool sprites into things, and then the round never ends. I have horrible luck T_T

Lazengann-1.png

-------------------------------

Well onto other news, I have a new sprite made. Another character of my friend's. This one is known as Vargas. Vargas is essentially a time mage. Vargas doesn't quite manipulate time in the usual way. Vargas will actually use this power to mimic and copy other people's attacks. That is the basic run down of Vargas.

I also tried to use a different style. The style I was attempting was from a game called Melty Blood. If you have heard of it, it's some random japanese-only fighting game.

Vargas.png

-----------------------------

Here is a new splice sheet. I also have some edits on them too. Some interesting stuff this time around in my opinion. Emo birds, polygonal beasts, super heroes, and even the mighty Dai-Gurren Brigade!

As for what's next, since I seem to be back in my old pattern, expect Fakemon. Although I am planning to enter a contest being run by a person who I consider to be the best splicer around. So I will probably be trying to do my best for that over all. So Fakemon sheet or my entry to that contest. Oh also once I get around to it, I plan on uploading a video of me making the Porygon+Ryhdon splice I did. If anyone has interest in seeing such a video, I might be a bit quicker to upload it. If not then it waits till I decide to deal with it.

splicesheet46.png

Haha, I'm loving these! The 2nd stage fire starter is epic! He reminds me of a possessed Bigfoot (and not in a bad way)!

The emo bird made me laugh hard, as did the Ivydrill and Porydon.

Time for another random project I might never finish! This time around I've decided to edit Super Mario World sprites into Pokemon. I want to do this to like every sprite in Mario world, so I can donate and let ROM hackers of the Mario World variety to have a new spice to add to their mixes. I don't plan on making one myself due to my laziness of course. I also have a good amount of the concepts for most of the enemies, so I won't be needing suggestions.

AllofThem.png

New dudes made. The speed at which I'm doing this shows promise. Although I fear Mario and Yoshi will be heck of a pain to edit as they have many more frames. Banzai Togekiss was just weird. I'm going to have to try double as hard when I decide to go back to it. The whole thick bordering and weird style that Banzai Bill is in just confused me even more.

DisplaySheet.png

Ohmygosh.
Togekiss as a banzai bill! That is unimaginably brilliant! Imagine the Togekiss flying towards the cowering Mario in the corner!!

So I have some more dudes and stuff as you can see. For the switch palace blocks I'm not sure which to do. I needed 4 pokeball types, but the 4th I can't decide on. Both Premier and Safari are OK, but they aren't like the others. I might just leave it up to the ROM hacker's choice.

DisplaySheet-1.png

While Pokecharms was down, I had a contest on the sites I visited. I wanted to include this place, but like I said, it was down. The winner would get one custom sprites from me. Only like 6 entered though, and I decided to pick two winners. This one requested a Torkoal evolution that as spikes and a scorpion tail. However after showing him the first one, he asked that I remove the spikes along the side. So I have both versions to show off, I hope the winner of them enjoys them. I will get onto the second winner's request as soon as possible.

TorkoalEvo.png

I will potentially hold another raffle just for you PokeCharms folks. I also need to remind myself that later tonight I might want to invest some time into going and giving CnC and stuff to some of the other threads. It's been awhile :p

Haha, Thwomp made me laugh. Snorlax seems perfect for it. Maybe for an underwater level it would be wailord :O

The Torkoal evo is amazing. I like it more with the spikes >:D

You have left me speechless, congratulations.

Hello there! I think that your splices are fantastic, definitely the best I've seen! For this reason, I was wondering, would you make a Vulpix/Umbreon splice please? I've had the idea in my head for a year, but I'm a terrible pixel artist. I'd give full credit to you of course.

Sure Nikkolai, I'll be sure to try and get it on the next splice sheet I make, whenever that is.

Continuing to make more dudes. Bunch of new stuff. Switch palace blocks I am unsure on which I want to use. I know Great, Ultra, and Master are ones I'm going to do, but I can't pick a 4th. Also have an issue with figuring out those fireballs with eyes, the ones that jump out of lava or just fly around. Magamar is the closest thing to a guy made of afire, although no where near the shape, and makes no sense why he would fly. Mantyke fits a lot better, but less sense to jump out of lava, and doesn't have the appearance of something that you can't kill. I may come up with a 3rd or better pokemon for the job. Slugma perhaps.

DisplaySheet-2.png

Wohoo, new Splice =D. Ninetails is kind of me messing around, just mixing around parts on Ninetails and making it look a bit fierce. Again not many requests, only thee of them were. I have Grumpig+Gorebyss, Vulpix+Umbreon, and Walreigh+Doduo+etc all being recorded when I made them, I'll get that uploaded soon probably. Not going to both posting a link this time, just check through my youtube profile to find it.

The bottom five were made for a special competition I entered. I had to make Pokemon related sprites that matched the 5 categories of contests: Beauty, Cool, Tough, Cute, and Smart. It's being run by a guy named Arkeis, a person I consider to be one of the best splicers. I'm a bit nervous about it actually, I hope I do well and get noticed by the guy in some way.

SpliceSheet47.png

These are yor best splices yet!
That Dunsparce monster thing pwns and the Magnemite-Rotom-Houndoom-Anorith is awesome!!
How you are going to top this I don't know. But I know you will, so keep up the good work!!

Ok I finished up some more Fakemon. Sheet 3 is now editted/fixed up. Changes to the Pokedex are being done though, so some Fakemon will be either dropped or added from this point on.

3rdgenFakemonSheet3.png

Cherrius and Bloomboom are Grass/Steel. Nothing too different besides the spikes added to the last form.

The second two will be steel. I have to refigure their names since I don't like the last I made for them. I have also cut it's final form, so it's only a double evolution now.

Tips and Stalbits are Rock/Ground. Pretty different final Evolution now. Might be given levitate, I'm not sure.

Oh and other news I decided to do an art trade. Someone wanted me to sprite his fakemon he drew, and in return I hope to get myself a drawing of one of my Fakemon. Here is the Fakemon that a guy by the name of Raelen Solo created and I sprited.

RelicanthEvo.png

Ok everyone. I've made some progress with the Super Mario World sprites. I've actually begun working on the Mario sprites themselves. Little Mario is in the process of being turned to Pikachu. Good chunk have been done, shouldn't be too many more to go I hope. I though didn't make them in paint, but I am now instead working with in YY-CHR, the program necessary to edit the sprites in Mario World. So to showcase them, I have uploaded a quick video to allow you all to get a glimpse at what I've done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhfHz0o1j40

More Mario Wolrd sprites. I finished up small Mario/Pikachu. I also did a few more enemies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-ais1KJcM

Well did some more Fakemon. Not a full sheet yet, but I figured to show off what I have. The Khangaskhan sprite is of course not my doing, but I might consider respriting all Pokemon for the region, including existing ones for my region. C+C and what not highly welcomed.

3rdGenFakemonSheet4.png

Kanghun is the baby form of Kangaskhan. Normal type with a gender split evolution.

Battillahun is the male form of a Kangaskhan. Still normal. More emphasis on slashing based attack instead of the pounding type of attacks Kangaskhan uses.

-------------------

Also just to let people know, my front page is now more well organized.

Lastly I will let you all know about a project I plan in the future. To go along with my video tutorials, I think I will also do a little something where I take flawed sprites and fix them, to basically show some common problems and how to fix them. Instead of making the bad sprites on my own, I figured I could just use other peoples. Basically it would be like a video critique of other peoples sprites, with shown methods of how to fix. This means I will need volunteers willing to let me use their sprites, knowing full well I will be critiquing it in front of others, perhaps with a little extra mockery for the sake comedy :p

I don't plan to start this necessarily soon, as I want to do it later when I finally bother to buy myself a mic that isn't built into my laptop and adds an annoying buzzing noise to my videos. So feel free to start PM'ing me any sprites of yours you might like me to do. I won't accept everything, only stuff I know I can fix, and usually not too many that all have the same problem. I will happily give anyone who does credit in the video, or I can keep you anonymous if you so wish. Again, I don't know when I'll start this, but don't expect it like next week :p

Being bored in a class today, I did some spritings. Decided to randomly sprite a good friend's RP character, Red Ryu. A little fox guy with wind power essentially. Did a bunch at school, final touches at home when I was able to talk to him about some details. I attempted to do him in Disgaea style.

RYUDISGAEA.png

Well, seems my little Ryu sprite was for the most part just a glorified bump. I guess I got like two responses to it, but both being two word responses doesn't really make them feel so substantial. Perhaps something a little more popular than a friend's RP character. I decided I'd just take some requests from some real life friends of mine. Now I won't lie, I did enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh at one time. Well a good friend of mine happens to enjoy the said game still, and requested I do a specific monster. He was smart and picked a monster that back then I liked, and still to this day have a respect for. He is called the Summoned Skull if you don't know or can't tell. I first wanted to do this guy in the M&L3 style, but I can say that I really was just doing my own thing at some point, so I kind of gave up on the goal.

summonedskull.png

First order of business, the thing on the top left is the thing I made for the 2nd winner of my raffle. He requested I do something known as Genesic GaoGaiGar. I didn't know what it was, but google helped out with my understanding of what it looked like.

A couple of requests as usual on here too. Last three are ones I came up with. The sheet in general does seem small, but I didn't get much requests, which is fine.

SpliceSheet48.png

More Super Poke World sprites done. This time around I showcase off some Raichu sprites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIo5NlgZkWI

Commented :p you are the sprite masta :p

PS: Farfetch + Dunsparce is awesome! great way of thinking outside the box.

One update, as I expected, I didn't place in that big competition I was going on about before, the one run by Arkeis. Not sure if anyone cares, but figured I'd mention since I made a big deal about it before.

Ok I just finished a new sprite. This time I decided to take the character Rita Mordio from the game Tales of Vesperia, for 360 and PS3 (PS3 Japan only right now). No particular style or anything. I decided to try doing it boarderless. I did her pose when she casts Indignation in the PS3 version.

Rita-1.png

Reference picture of character in case if you don't know the genius mage that she is:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/image.php?u=129085&dateline=1236349363&type=profile

Ok, with a bit of the comments I did get, I tried fixing some things up. Better hair, few more colors, stuff along those lines.

Rita-2.png

Well here is something I figured I wouldn't be doing. Theme stuff isn't normally something I like to do. However when a contest I feel like entering requires me to make something christmas related I do. I like to think it's mostly holiday/wintery in feel more than christmas though. If anything could give me a little holiday cheer though, it would be that oh so lovable Kirby. Something about the little puff guy all bundled up like that makes me just feel happy (reminds me also of that one kid in The Christmas Story). Got a King Dedede and MetaKnight to go with so I can have a new sig. Don't go rating it like a sig, because I am not a sig maker, merely a spriter. Also I decided to make a quick avatar to go with it. Looks like I will be all set profile wise till spring =D

ChristmasKirby.gif

ChristmasKirbyAvatar.gif

These are really good! Kirby makes the winter scene complete.

How did you learn how to sprite? Unless, of course, your a magician and you don't wanna tell me ;)