• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Jappio's Poke Splices, Fakemon, and Captace Region

Your fusions are still as great as ever. I really love the one that you fused Leafeon and Mightyena together. That one is really cool. I also love the Gardevoir/Pikachu fusion. It's super cute!
You are doing a fabulous job. Great work!

Ok I've decided to just start putting all my spriting stuff in here, by that I mean non Pokemon related stuff. This way everything is in one thread. Also this one gets more attention then my other one :p.

Well I have a 'new' sprite made. His name is Raizou, my main RP character. I've done sprites for him before, but I find those things out of date and now I can sprite much better.

Raizou-2.png

Now to be fair I didn't just do this from scratch. I did make everything on this guy though. What I'm trying to say is I didn't edit someone else's sprite, but I edited my own. I some time ago made a Hulk sprite. Well what I did was take that, change the skin color, alter the pose, make him taller, down sized the muscles, gave him some more clothing and weapons. So a good loads of heavy edits to my own sprite, so I'm pretty sure you can still call it a scratch.

My non Poke sprites always seem to get a lack of attention. Well then maybe these Fakemon will spark some of your interests.

Well guys its been awhile and others spriting things have gotten in the way, but finally my Fakemon sheet is done. Loads of small families this time, but that is ok. I personally like Ghillie the most.

FakemonSheet13.png

601 - Soots: Fire type. "Smoke comes out of its ears even as it sleeps. It's hands and feet are colored not naturaly, but by the soot it creates."
602 - Smoken: Fire type. "Smoken is said to have a raging fire inside them at all times. They themselves can control their body temperature and raise it high enough to burn enemies on contact."

603 - Ghillie: Ground/Grass type. "Laying on its belly, this Pokemon stays hidden until its prey gets near. It then rises up and burries it prey aliver underneath itself."

604 - Fruiton: Grass type. "This Pokemon does its best to avoid predators. Most can't avoid its sweet scent or juicy taste."

605 - Cometa: Psychic/Rock. "When people see Cometa from afar, they think it's a shooting star and make a wish." This Pokemon is suppose to be just like Solrok and Lunatone)

Sorry for the tripple post now, but I mean its hard not to when no one comments. I guess once again my splices have to be the attention getters. I really need to imrpove my spriting so I'm not in the awkward middle area where my spriting skills are nothing to get excited about, but not bad enough to get tons of negative attention.

Well here we go, the 40th sheet. Loads of requests and contest entries on here and the what not. I am missing two splices though.

It was suggested to me to do a splice of the 3 Regis, and a splice the psychic trio. Well with the many requests I've done, and the fact that splices like those I don't fancy, I've decided to deny that suggestion. I could probably make them, but I don't feel like it is the bottom line. I am not usually a fan of cliche, and those two ideas I found to be cliched. This isn't the first time I felt like doing this, there have been splices in the past I've done I just didn't like because of the idea. So a new rule is that I may just deny any suggestion that I dub cliche. Other things I could finch cliche are things like Pikachu+Lucario, Mewtwo+Deoxys, Charizard+Blastoise+Venusaur, just to name a few. Now if you do request something like these, I may do it still, depending on my load and how cliche I find it. Just don't get your hopes up. Now this doesn't mean go and try and pick the most obscure Pokemon to put together, just watch out for the really common type combinations.

Now that is out of the way time to explain a few things on this sheet.

The Bulbasaur disguise/repose if you can't tell is actually an Ivysaur. I took away Ivysaur's plant, and drew in a bulb. The two Pokemon look almost identical.

Venonat+Shuppet+Chimecho won me first place in a one on one match.

Luxray+Magnezone looked so much like a space ship, I decided to give it a background using the star from Luxray.

Breloom Fossil I did in my usual fossil style. My friend finds it hilarious that when I made my first fossil I went way farther than what a fossil is suppose to be (apparently they are suppose to be just some recoloring and editing to make it look like a fossil type Pokemon, instead of making the literal fossil/bone structure. I know Breloom may or may not have a bone structure since it is a mushroom plant thing, but I decided to ignore the logic :p

Ghastlax is way better than Licklax! Licklax was never that great to begin with! *Still is pouting at the fame and attention Licklax once got*

Xatu+Dialga has to be one of my personal favorites and best in my opinion. It was also one of the harder ones I've had to make.

SpliceSheet40.png

Your splicing just gets better and better, wow.

My favourite probably has to be Beedrill/Milotic/Poliwag, its just awesome :D Xatu and Steelix is an interesting concept, but the whole lot are awesome. Congrats on the contest win with Venonat/Shuppet/Chimecho :D

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Sharpedo/Mewtwo is scary!
Ghastly/Snorlax is brilliant, as are Xatu/Steelix and Fearow/Dialga. Awesome splicing all round really, and I love the Breloom fossil. Like LoN said, congrats on the contest win. You deserve it with all the time these must take.

I adore Soots and Smoken, they remind me of Gerbils ^^

Well I have now completed my video tutorial for splicing in paint. It doesn't quite show off too many advanced techniques, just because those things fall under actual spriting skills, and those take way longer to teach. The video is in 4 parts. I explain everything pretty in depth though, so I think it is worth it. Beginners I think can make pretty good splices if they stop and watch the whole thing. I also narrate it, so there isn't a ton of reading you have to do either. It is also done live, and the splice I did blind, so the example splice isn't my best, but it shows what needs to be done with most.

Video Splicing Tutorial

Cool! Really great that you've done this, I think it'll help spriters out a lot. I'll give some feedback and comments for you, if you do some future videos like this :)

Gonna edit the rest of the feedback and comments in as I watch the rest, but I recommend you post the rest of the tutorial too :p I'm onto part 3.

Nice hat!

Firstary :D Love it! [size=5pt]Maybe you mean Primary? :3[/size]

I like how you told the viewers, aka us, how you do that ctrl copying technique. Its really cool, and I never knew that. Gonna have to see what other programs it works with too :D

I find I like how the paintbrush tool reaches in as well, on the few sprites I've done I find that useful. I use the circle tool for erasing in GIMP too, a good tip you gave there.

I also liked how you showed how you shrank the body parts to make them more natural, I think that's a more looked over technique in my opinion that really helped the tutorial.

Piiiinge! :D

Its great that you went through EVERY step in detail, it really helps people I'd imagine. From the spriters resource to the post, all the journey. Interesting outcome too, I must say :p

[size=5pt]Piiiiiiiiiiinge.[/size]

[size=3pt]Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinge.[/size]

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
LoN pretty much said everything, but your videos are really good. I love it when you explain about having back-ups in case you accidentally make a mistake. I makes me laugh when you doodle lines all over them and go 'Opps' XD

These will be really helpful to beginners, you gave lots of tips and a few shortcuts.

Wow I learned something too lol thanks for that Ctrl+drag trick to copy paste, thats awesome! Overall these are great videos and very well explained and narrated. Thinking about it I should do some for photoshop users lol need a better mic for that though.

Nice music too btw. Lovin the Kirby theme.

Dude...YOU ARE GOD!

Your video was probably the most helpful thing I've ever seen. You even helped me learn about the zoom feature on Vista and the transparent background for dragging! I'm finally able to save so much more time!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
... Dude. That was, like, awesome. Though I already knew how to splice a bit, this helped. Also, music FTW.

And that ctrl thingie I didn't know until I saw this video. :D

I never knew about the ctrl thing... and I've been spriting for like... three years now ^...^;
This is very good for the little kiddies just dipping their toes into spriting. Your very understandable and you go over everything. The "oops" thing is very funny, and the music is epic. ...And I like your desktop...

Today is a special day. Day that only comes once a year. I like to think back to the past on this day, and think of all the new things that come. Long ago on this very day the world was changed. Something new was brought into the world. Many consider it a miracle. Ever since that time, people have thought about that miracle with joy in their eyes. Truly mankind was bettered by this thing.

Now long after it, I celebrate this time with all my heart. I think about those who don't believe in that miracle, and see it as nothing, and I almost question it. How could they not enjoy it? Well I try to forget that though, not to let myself down.

They say that on this day is the day for sharing and caring. I agree with that. Truly this day is very much about sharing. It's about letting your friends, family, and those less fortunate to all join together in harmony.

Yes, many days ago on this same day it all began. I think it would be proper for us to stop and think about that moment in time. How it has effected us so dearly...

I of course have been referring to my splices this whole time. That's right everyone, one year ago as of today I first started and debuted my splices. Apparently I had nothing better to do on Christmas than to sit around and combine Pokemon. Also not to long ago you may recall I posted my 40th sheet. Now I see this is a good accomplishment. In one year I've made 40 sheets of splices, at least about 6 on each sheet. I've made well over 240 splices that means. Well if you remember some time back, when I hit the 20 mark, I made a special sheet to show off the things that I adored and things I thought didn't' get enough spot light. So here it is:

40thAniversary.png

Well I hope you all enjoy this little treat. I know it's not much, but I mean I think it's a nice way to celebrate :p

Also glad to hear you all liked the tutorial, and pretty much everyone got something out of it. I also like that you all like my random music. The funny thing is I only had about 12 songs on that list that I chose figuring wouldn't be too long or anything. I have like over 100. Perhaps if I find a new reason to make a video I might just put some more in it. Although sadly I don't have much more I can teach, my skills aren't advanced enough in other skills to teach. I'm really glad though that you all found it useful though.

I'm putting this here for safe keeping. Sorry there isn't much. I'm just putting this here for the fact that I'm entering an anonymous competition on another site. I had to PM this to someone. Well being the paranoid fellow that I am, I wanted to quick post it somewhere so that I have a date that I posted it at, to verify that I am its maker.

2zq973n.png

A new Fakemon sheet and done. With this sheet done I also declare that soon the region will be complete, at least in concept. The only remaining Fakemon to make are legendaries. This also means that I think I could soon begin an RP for it. A few things still have to be figured out, but I don't predict said things to take too long. I also realized somewhere along the lines I screwed up my dex #'s. It's not too big of a deal since I'll be messing with the order later on. I should be at about 645 if I remember correctly.

So on the todo list:
-Splices
-Fakemon moves/other left out bits
-Figuring how to work the RP
-Deciding on the site I'll host the RP

That last one I wish I could decide on. I'm going to have to host it one location, I don't want to run like 5 different RP's. At the same time I feel bad about make everyone who wants to join it have to sign up on a new site somewhere. I also have to be smart about the site I choose. I don't want to flood the wrong site with a whole bunch of random users. If anyone has a good suggestion, I'm all ears. If you want it here, let me know, if you want it somewhere else, let me know. I'm open to suggestions and I'm going to probably go with what the fans want.

FakemonSheet14.png

606 - Pichu
607 - Pikachu
608 - Raichu

609 - Cubone
610 - Marowak

611 - Magikarp
612 - Gharados

613 - Venonat
614 - Venomoth
615 - Venora: Bug/Poison type. Evolves from Venomoth in an unknown way. "This monster of a Pokemon is supposedly able to shoot lightning from its antennae, and have psychic powers."

616 - Heracrash: Bug Type. Evolves into Heracross at level 25. "It uses it's powerful horn to run into trees and try and knock fruit down from them."
617 - Heracross

618 - Bagbird: Ice Type. Evolves into Delibird at Level 20. "Bagbird collects small objects and stores them in its bag like tail. It then gives them to it's parent or trainer."
619 - Delibird
620 - Postian: Ice/Flying Type. Evolvse from Delibird in an unknown way. "This Pokemon can deliver almost anything. It's said that it's bag has no bottom."

621 - Shroomish
622 - Breloom
623 - Flintoom: Grass/Fire Type. Evolves from Shroomish in an unknown way. "The spores it shoots out from the ends of its arms can burn much like fire can."

624 - Seel
625 - Dewgong

626 - Zubat
627 - Golbat
628 - Crobat

629 - Geodude
630 - Graveller
631 - Golem

632 - Tentacool
633 - Tentacruel

634 - Billybolt: Electric/Dark Type. "Scurrying along the floors of caves, this Pokemon lights dark tunnels. It is ironically afraid of the dark."
635 - Gowatt: Electric/Dark Type. Evolves from Billybolt at level 30. "Able to scale tall mountains, Gowatts tend to stay near the tip of mountains where they can stay close to storm clouds and recharge."
636 - Ramsurge: Electric/Dark Type. Evolves from Gowatt at level 50. "Legend says that Ramsurges prance atop storm clouds to create lightning storms."

------------------------------

Well here is good old sheet 41. The cool thing about this sheet is I actually have something that isn't a request. Seakirdraphlock is something that I picked the Pokemon itself for. I know this doesn't sound like much, but lately it seems like I do only requests. I also tried something new and different on that splice, I don't know if anyone will quite notice what though.

Just to clarify though, don't be discouraged folks, I'm still happy to take requests. When I do my own, I end up just doing random things anyways. So either way, there's plenty of random in it.

SpliceSheet41.png

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
That Hippowdon fusion is beyond strange. It strikes me as a Diglett gone very, very wrong XD
Nice sheets as usual, the Bidoof ones are strange but I love the Kangaskhan one.

Well everyone, I got a new video, this time a demostration on a splice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHsCmKZFRK0

That's not the main reason I'm actually messaging. I was wondering if any of you happen to know the palette limitation on 3rd gen sprite. I want to go back and fix all of my Fakemon, I also want to make them all compatable in 3rd gen games. I know the size has to be in 64X64, but I don't know what my color limitation is. I also can't seem to find the answer. So if anyone happens to know, if you could, let me know. Thanks in advance =D.

C

Celadon

You are excellent at spriting! The way you shade your splices is simply superb. Your Mudkip+Bidoof+Quagsire+Toxicroak splice is fantastic.
Your Fakemon are well made, too.
Keep up the good work! :)

Those are some awesome splices :D I adore the Bidoof mix soooo much :p

I actually had a question for you. Do you have any idea why an MS paint from Windows XP would not let me do your quick recolor trick? I have done exactly as you said in the third part of the big tutorial video but nothing seems to happen :( is it only applicable to Vista's version of Paint?

Those are some awesome splices :D I adore the Bidoof mix soooo much :p

I actually had a question for you. Do you have any idea why an MS paint from Windows XP would not let me do your quick recolor trick? I have done exactly as you said in the third part of the big tutorial video but nothing seems to happen :( is it only applicable to Vista's version of Paint?

No, I use to use XP paint. From what I know, even a Windows 95 Paint should be able to do it. I could be wrong though. Maybe certain Windows XP can't. I wouldn't know why though, it's a simple function. If you've done exactly as I've said then it should work, and I've never heard of it not working in certain versions.

Tales_of_Raizou_by_Jappio01.png

Here is my newest sprite I've been working on. It's once again my RP character Raizou. This time though I have an all new style and purpose. I've finally been able to shrink the size of my sprites down. I was attempting to do it in the style of Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 for the GBA. It's a Japanese only spin off of the 'Tales of' series. I'm told it doesn't quite match that style. I seem to not be able to imitate style very well, since I can't seem to imitate Pokemon or 'Tales of'. I guess I don't mind that too much, I'm ok with having my own style.

This version of Raizou has a few small changes though. He is not wearing his gauntlets in this sprite. I did this moreso out of laziness though. Gray gauntlets holding a gray axe over gray chain mail is kind of hard to see, so I decided to not go with the hassle and just make him gauntletless. He also does not have belts going over his chest like normal. Instead his shield I'll just say is being held up by the belt across his waist. I didn't want to cover the chest I worked so hard on by them, so that's why I omitted him.

I plan on making multiple frames for this guy. The idea is I want him to be put into a fighting game. This is probably just his basic standing pose. Obviously I'm far from being now, but I got the first sprite out of the way. C+C would be greatly adored since I consider this one of my best works yet, and I want it just to get better and better.

Jap, I think the pallete limitation is 3 types of color shading. That confused me. I mean like you can have a blue, a lighter blue, and an even lighter blue. You can have that for as many colors. So like a Mudkip can have 3 Blue, 3 Orange, 3 Brown. Etc. I might be wrong.

Thanks Jirachi. I don't think that is it though, since I'm sure there are 3rd gen sprites with more than 3 shades of just one color. Also I know you can't have as many as you want.

Today I am starting the RP for my region. Now for anyone interested, I will have to let you know it is not on this site. This is done because I didn't want to favor any site. This makes it fair for everyone. Now I have multiple spots open in this RP, and more can be made if I see fit. So feel free to come and join. Once at the site, make sure you look over the rules, I will be strict. To join make sure you PM me first so I can talk to you personally about it. Now you all may be wondering where the site is. Do to possible site rules I will not include in this post. Lets just say that looking in my profile may help for the search. Remember this region will be mirroring my Captace region, and will have all the Fakemon in it.

I want to join! May I please? My username will be the same just to letcha know. Also, why can't you make the page longer or wider. When I look at the pokedex, some are missing.

Certainly. As for the problem with not seeing them all, I don't know. I know it works perfectly fine for me. Perhaps if you copied and pasted it into paint yourself, or maybe you can just view the one I have here on the front page.

Well here is the newest sheet. Lots of stuff again though so let me explain a couple of things.

The top right Cubsaureon won me a one on one contest, its creation is also on my Youtube account, link here: Splicing Demonstration

The 6 part dude on the right is pretty neat. Gave me a ton of trouble but I think I worked it out. In case you can't tell, the two on the bottom with th beaks, those beaks are actually Celebi's wing. A little obscure, so I decided to point it out.

Trainer Orange is something I threw together for my RP. It's the character I'm playing. I also plan on her being the main female character of my region. Yes, it's official, my Game will be "Pokemon Orange", because it's an awesome color.

Hard to miss Kilos. He is one of my friend's RP character. It's basically known as a Quilin, a special dragon/unicorn beast. Has ram horns and the whiskers of an oriental dragon. The scales are rainbow colored and he is on fire. The middle bottom one is the one I"ve chose to be the best, the rest are either older versions or little experiments I was doing.

I actually made Quadpedal Mewtwo before I made Luxtwo. I realized when doing that splice I was doing way too little Luxray, but like Quadpedal Mewtwo, so I kept both.

Tried something different with Ho-Lugebi. I think a good word for it would be "hybrid". I could be wrong though.

Yes, I attempted making a Gundam out of Pokemon parts. The request also wanted it to be light green in color, but I decided to include classic blue also.

SpliceSheet42.png

I also have an announcement to make. For my next sheet or two, I'd like to actually REDO some splices. I'd like you all to maybe pick a splice or two that I've already done that you think could be better. I'm not asking that you just pick out the bad ones for the sake of them being bad. I would like if you all requested things you'd like to see me do better. I basically figured it was time I did some fixing on old ones, but no point in just picking random ones no one cares about, that's why I'm giving the choice up to you all.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I absolutely love Kilos! The rainbow scale patten is anazing and must have been alot of hard work. Excellent job on it.

I can see how the bottom two are suposed to look like Gundams, but the Probopass nose on the chest looks a little weird. I don't really have a suggestion on how that would be fixed, because removing it would also look funny. I guess it's alright as is.

Anyway, great job on this newest batch Jappio, I can't wait to see what else you can come up with.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
There's some really awesome stuff there, especially Kilos. Those details are amazing and I love the colours.
I'm also liking Cubone splices, they all look pretty awesome. Nice work as usual ^^