• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Hm, I'm surprised I missed that anime question Shiny, glad I checked the thread a second time now.

My favourite anime...I'm not really 100% sure, although School Rumble, Dragon Ball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh! all rank very highly for sure. Haruhi and more recently Hatsukoi Limited deserve mentions as well.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Well, I'm new here (only registered last night), and I do have a question that I can't seem to find a place for anywhere else in the forum.

Does PokeCharms allow 'organization' posts in fanfiction threads, without considering them SPAM?

I was wondering because I have a rather long one that I wanted to post, without cluttering the section of the first chapter. Because, in that first post, there was going to be a Table of Contents with quick links to each chapter and basic information (the estimated length, pairings included, etc).
Any answer is much appreciated. ^_^

Sincerely,

Moonlight.

SPAM means short, pointless annoying messages. From what I take from the meaning of the word, a post with the table of contents and other stuff related to the actual story is absolutely a-ok. Obviously it wouldn't be short, and I don't think it falls under the "pointless" part. And most members wouldn't find it annoying; in fact, it may prove to be more helpful than annoying.

Not sure what the staff would say about this, though, as no one in my memory has ever done anything like that in the fics. But I'm sure they're not mean enough to warn you for that. ;)

[quote author=Moonlight-Zelda link=topic=1321.msg106436#msg106436 date=1244731164]
Well, I'm new here (only registered last night), and I do have a question that I can't seem to find a place for anywhere else in the forum.

Does PokeCharms allow 'organization' posts in fanfiction threads, without considering them SPAM?

I was wondering because I have a rather long one that I wanted to post, without cluttering the section of the first chapter. Because, in that first post, there was going to be a Table of Contents with quick links to each chapter and basic information (the estimated length, pairings included, etc).
Any answer is much appreciated. ^_^

Sincerely,

Moonlight.

SPAM means short, pointless annoying messages. From what I take from the meaning of the word, a post with the table of contents and other stuff related to the actual story is absolutely a-ok. Obviously it wouldn't be short, and I don't think it falls under the "pointless" part. And most members wouldn't find it annoying; in fact, it may prove to be more helpful than annoying.

Not sure what the staff would say about this, though, as no one in my memory has ever done anything like that in the fics. But I'm sure they're not mean enough to warn you for that. ;)
[/quote]

Okay, thanks for answering. ^_^

But I was also asking because the Table of Contents is standard on some fanfiction forums, but I hadn't seen even one here when I looked at the section for it.

I suppose I'll go start setting up my thread, XD. Thanks again. *huggles*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

But I was also asking because the Table of Contents is standard on some fanfiction forums, but I hadn't seen even one here when I looked at the section for it.

I was a bit confused as to what you meant in your original question, but I think I have a better idea now. As long as it's all kept within a single thread, there should be no problem with it. If it's a really long story it should be helpful, too ^^

Sooo... Staff members, including admins, mods, Jet, KoL, and others with moderation abilities, what's your favorite anime, and why?

Heh, appears I missed this question originally, too. I have a number of favourite Anime series' - in no particular order, Cowboy Bebop, Revolutionary Girl Utena, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Cardcaptor Sakura, Bleach, Japanese/Dubbed Pokemon, Digimon Tamers, Digimon Savers, and Lost Universe - but my top favourite is, and has been for ages now, The Slayers series.

The why is harder to explain when people compare it to all of these epic series of epicness. Slayers is pretty much everything I could want in a TV show. Lots of character development and enjoyable characters in general (I adore every member of the main cast); a very interesting and developed fantasy world with oodles of mythology and a rather deep magic system (though casual viewers would probably never realize any of that); hordes of 4th-wall breakage, parodies, and general comedy matched with drama and some really awesome plots; and... it's just awesome. The ONLY Anime that has even come close to rivaling it for me lately is Haruhi (and as many of my friends know, I'm a blatant Haruhi fangirl), but even that can't match Slayers. ^^

Derr... Yeah. I really need to rewatch Cowboy Bebop someday soon because it's been far too long since I ran through it. I've always considered it one of the finest Anime I've ever watched (for reasons much different than Slayers), so it'd be nice to see if that still holds up XD

[quote author=Moonlight-Zelda link=topic=1321.msg106468#msg106468 date=1244739086]

I was a bit confused as to what you meant in your original question, but I think I have a better idea now. As long as it's all kept within a single thread, there should be no problem with it. If it's a really long story it should be helpful, too ^^
[/quote]

Okay, but I had to do a double post for the organization one to go above the first chapter, XD. I apologize about that. :-[

And yes, the fannovel will be rather long - At least 80 chapters, and counting.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
In the rules it does say you can't double-post, however, it also states that you can double post in your own fic, sprite, or art thread, as long as you're adding new content to either of the three.

So that should be okay, Moon-Z. ^^

Sorry linkachu, I do care about what my posts contain and I try to make as much contribution as possible but... I want to get to trainer to get an avatar

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry linkachu, I do care about what my posts contain and I try to make as much contribution as possible but... I want to get to trainer to get an avatar

Thing is, that's one of the reasons why we set the custom avatars at 50 posts. By that point, people have generally shown that they understand how the forums work and aren't spammers. Maybe it'll take a bit longer to reach 50 if you're posting for quality over quantity, but shows a lot more dedication and care, too. Not just the staff appreciate it either. Our members do, too :)

Just something to keep in mind.

When is the site's next scheduled maintenance?

And, also, Am I banned from CHAT? When I go to crank it up, all it says is this:
[18:41] Connecting...
[18:41] Logging in...
[18:41] 5-dra.systemnet.info- *** Looking up your hostname...
[18:41] 5-dra.systemnet.info- *** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
[18:41] Welcome to the SystemNet IRC Network Newprofile001_is_a_n00b!Newprofile@69.149.176.47
[18:41] Your host is dra.systemnet.info, running version Unreal3.2.7
[18:41] This server was created Fri Nov 28 2008 at 15:12:42 GMT
[18:41] dra.systemnet.info Unreal3.2.7 iowghraAsORTVSxNCWqBzvdHtGpmMZDc lvhopsmntikrRcaqOALQbSeIKVfMCuzNTGjDdByP
[18:41] CMDS=KNOCK,MAP,DCCALLOW,USERIP NAMESX SAFELIST HCN MAXCHANNELS=30 CHANLIMIT=#:30 MAXLIST=b:60,e:60,I:60 NICKLEN=30 CHANNELLEN=32 TOPICLEN=307 KICKLEN=307 AWAYLEN=307 MAXTARGETS=20 are supported by this server
[18:41] WALLCHOPS WATCH=128 SILENCE=15 MODES=12 CHANTYPES=# PREFIX=(qaohv)~&@%+ CHANMODES=beI,kfL,ljBP,psmntirRcOAQKVCuzNSMTGDdy NETWORK=SystemNet CASEMAPPING=ascii EXTBAN=~,cqnrCTR ELIST=MNUCT STATUSMSG=~&@%+ EXCEPTS are supported by this server
[18:41] INVEX are supported by this server
[18:41] There are 196 users and 173 invisible on 7 servers
[18:41] 21 operator(s) online
[18:41] 1 unknown connection(s)
[18:41] 142 channels formed
[18:41] I have 154 clients and 1 servers
[18:41] Current Local Users: 154 Max: 259
[18:41] Current Global Users: 369 Max: 661
[18:41] - 11/5/2009 14:03
[18:41] - Welcome to the SystemNet IRC Network
[18:41] -
[18:41] - ___====-_ _-====___
[18:41] - _--~~~#####// \\#####~~~--_
[18:41] - _-~##########// \ / \\##########~-_
[18:41] - -############// |\^^/| \\############-
[18:41] - _~############// (O::O) \\############~_
[18:41] - ~#############(( \\// ))#############~
[18:41] - -###############\\ (oo) //###############-
[18:41] - -#################\\ / "" \ //#################-
[18:41] - -###################\\/ rawr \//###################-
[18:41] - _#/|##########/\######( )######/\##########|\#_
[18:41] - |/ |#/\#/\#/\/ \#/\##( /\ )##/\#/ \/\#/\#/\#| \|
[18:41] - ` |/ V V ' V \#(| | | |)#/ V ' V V \| ´
[18:41] - ` ' ' ' / | | | | \ ' ' ' ´
[18:41] - vvvv VVV VVV vvvv
[18:41] - irc.systemnet.info
[18:41] - Site & rules: http://www.systemnet.info/
[18:41] - Forums: http://forums.systemnet.info/
[18:41] - We hope you will have a good time here. Be nice and play by the rules.
[18:41] - No spamming, flooding, flaming or illegal content.
[18:41] - Join #help if you have any questions or would like a vhost or swhois entry.
[18:41] - Please note that any and all malicious or botnet activity will result in a
[18:41] - no-questions-asked removal from the network for an indefinite period.
[18:41] - irc.systemnet.info will put you on a random server. Users are
[18:41] - encouraged to use SSL whenever possible.
[18:41] - | Server | Ports | SSL ports |
[18:41] - `------------------------'----------------'------------´
[18:41] - irc.systemnet.info (6667) (6697)
[18:41] - dra.systemnet.info 194 6667 6697
[18:41] - lava.systemnet.info 6660-6670 8080 6697
[18:41] - saphira.systemnet.info 6660-6670 8080 6697
[18:41] - gyarados.systemnet.info 6660-6670 6697 8080
[18:41] - falkor.systemnet.info 6667 6697
[18:41] - | Operator | E-mail |
[18:41] - `------------'-------------------------´
[18:41] - Draelen draelen@systemnet.info
[18:41] - Ratiosu rawr.no/contact
[18:41] - Chani chani@cowly.com
[18:41] - Ekowc ekowc@systemnet.info
[18:41] - Lambo lambo@systemnet.info
[18:41] - Edward_K edwardk@systemnet.info
[18:41] - JDS jds@systemnet.info
[18:41] - Limerick
[18:41] - TSS_Killer tsskiller@systemnet.info
[18:41] - Pikachu Ratiosu@pokeconnect.jp
[18:41] - FullMasta
[18:41] - We are here to help you. Feel free to join #help and talk to us if
[18:41] - you have any questions or concerns.
[18:41] - Feedback and suggestions regarding the network are always welcome.
[18:41] 3*** Mode changed to iwx
[18:41] 5-Global- [Logon News - Jul 16 2007] Customised SWhois entries are available in #help - See http://forums.systemnet.info/viewtopic.php?p=9#9 for information.
[18:41] 5-Global- [Logon News - Jul 17 2008] Users can now be assigned mode +q when their access level is 9999 on channel access lists.
[18:41] 5-Global- [Logon News - Nov 16 2008] New Channel/Usermodes and extended ban types have been added, see http://forums.systemnet.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32 for details.
[18:41] 4[e VERSION]
Unfortunately, if I am spamming with too MUCH information, please let me know; I would just wish to have this resolved.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
That log doesn't say, 001. If it did, it's be right at thebottom. It does, however, confirm that you are connecting to the server fine.

Try typing /join #pokecharms -if you are banned, it'll tell you then.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Saphira is up and down like a yoyo. I'd suggest that you use lava or dra instead - they tend to be less sucky.

Let's roll out the questions!

Has there been any people that get sent in the Realm and actually behave well enough to get out?

What are your opinions on Serebii.net?

Finally, what is the worst n00b you've ever encountered in PokeCharms?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
1) Yes, actually! Two people that I can think of from the top of my head have been n00bed and then gotten out for good behaviour, possibly more. It's fairly rare, though, that people DO get out.

2) Personally? I think it's a good source of information and well worth a visit. Other's opinions can and will vary.

3) That question is impossible to answer for the sheer reason that we get so many. None of the n00bs I personally have come across in chat have ever been particularly bad, just annoying. They tend to blend together once you acquire the Great Ban Stick of +4 INT.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
1) Yup. I can think of one that sprouted a brain and was released from the realm, at least.

2) Mixed feelings. Definitely serves as a good source for news when you can translate through Joe's special variant of the English Language. The forums, with the minor exception of two or three members, though, apply vacuum to massive, pilose spheres, though.

3) Honestly, there were so many and they're all the same to me, so I don't remember anything PARTICULARILY bad...

And I have one too.
Its mostly because I have yet to figure it out.
:-\
Where can you usually find a hotspot?
(I have yet to connect to anything with my Diamond)​

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
And I have one too.
Its mostly because I have yet to figure it out.
:-\
Where can you usually find a hotspot?
(I have yet to connect to anything with my Diamond)​
Depends where you live, what country you're in, yadda yadda yadda. Here in England, WiFi hotspots can be found dotted around cities and whatnot - especially in McDonald's restaurants and other public places like that. I know there's a WiFi hotspot in my local theatre, too. The problem with these hotspots is that they normally charge for entry - and the method they use to do this is not compatible with the DS.

However, YMMV - that is only my own experience.

Referring to Data's post: It's pretty much the same way in the US. In my personal experience, coffee houses aside from Starbucks will offer free wifi and it's compatible with the DS. Just...make sure to buy something so it doesn't look like you're a free loader or something XD. I also know that some malls will offer it too. But yeah, you can always check wifi hotspots in your city online.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member

The best way to sum up my feelings about Serebii.net is that I go out of my way to avoid going there, but often end up there anyway. I much prefer Psypoke as a provider of technical information, but there are some aspects of game information that can only be found at Serebii. The problems I have with it are:

1) The page layout. A menu on the left and then another on the right? It's non-intuitive, and I didn't even notice that the right-hand menu changed until someone told me. I often go round in circles trying to find the page I want, which is the main thing that causes me to curse the site.

2) Joe Serebii's compulsive need to update even when there's no news.

3) Joe Serebii's "Until then, see ya" at the end of every post WHICH MAKES ME WANT TO KILL THINGS!

4) The forums. Oh gods, the forums.

As for the worst n00b, well... There have been the ones who've spammed everyone on the forum including the mods with badly spelt "im on wifi wanna battle" PMs. There have been the ones who have kept on connecting to the #pokecharms irc channel and simply Not Getting that we don't talk about Pokemon 100% of the time. "i thoguht this waz a pokeyman chat?". There have been the ones where we've gone round merging posts and deleting extra copies of threads. But I don't have a favourite. After a while they do all merge into one.

baratron

Staff member
Hmm....

I got a question for the staff: What's the thing y'all hate the most?

Depends if you're looking for a serious answer. I hate things like war, famine and poverty, but so do almost all thinking humans. And it would make me sound like a beauty contest entrant to come out with something like that.

Can you be more specific? The thing we hate most... about Pokemon? About this forum? About the internet? About our lives? Otherwise the question's just too vague to answer.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Let's roll out the questions!

Has there been any people that get sent in the Realm and actually behave well enough to get out?

1) Two members that I can recall, though one is on self-imposed exile for no reason at all.

2) Sure, why not? Good pokedex and whatever. I only use it for the pokedex.

3) That one who challenged me to a PRP battle was pretty cool, but not the worst. Just my favourite~

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
1) Two members that I can recall, though one is on self-imposed exile for no reason at all.

Two members that I know of, though I believe one has been re-n00bed because of some stunt he pulled off from what I gathered. I believe the one El here's talking about is the one who has been re-n00bed, and anyways, he's not allowed to come onto forums/chatrooms anymore thanks to parentals, I believe.

Now random question for the staff...

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm. That's very difficult. There's all sorts of things I'd /like/ to change about myself (appearance, parts of personality, etcetera etcetera), but to be fair, that's who I am. So I think the one thing I would improve if I could is my maturity.

On a slightly less sensible level, I also wish I was better at spontaneous wit and funnies. I really admire good stand-up comedians.

baratron

Staff member
Sorry, just noticed a huge typo on my part. What's the thing you'd hate to see the most while on 'Charms?

Ahh! Well, that's another thing entirely. And actually, it comes back to the question of the worst n00b again. The thing I most hate on any forum are the people who try to shamelessly manipulate others by lying about themselves and their situations. I'm talking about the internet fakers. The ones who make up horrible tragic lives for sympathy and attention. I hate these people because you can waste a lot of time and effort trying to help them, and instead miss out on helping people who really need help. Also, if you've experienced too many fakers in a short enough space of time, it's possible that someone who is having a real problem doesn't get believed - which is awful.

The one that springs to mind was the girl on #pokecharms who'd become a regular, and seemed like a reasonable enough person - although we'd all noticed that she wanted to be the centre of attention and would flounce off in a huff if she wasn't getting enough. Well, one day she decided to make up a story that she had a stalker. This went on for 10 days or so, and when she wasn't getting enough attention from it, she decided to tell us that he was breaking into her house WHILE SHE WAS ONLINE. So, er, why was she still online rather than getting out of the house by another exit? And she was waiting for the police to arrive, and she was really scared, etc. The story basically did not ring true for anyone with half a brain, and we were all /msg ing each other saying "This is so fake". Once she got to the point of "not wanting to answer the door to the police in case he's still here", we booted her from the channel, permanently. Because, seriously - if there was a criminal in your house and you had actual police at your actual front door, what the hell would you be doing still online? Idiot child.

The Pokecharms forum and channel mods are now experts in this sort of behaviour, so don't ever try it here. Unless you want to be booted forever. (And why not just leave by yourself? Something else we hate are the n00bs who sign up just to argue with our rules. As if they, a single person, can change the entire forum, which has been thought about for years by a team of people. Eh?).

baratron

Staff member
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Honestly? If there was a magic wand I could wave, I'd like better health. More energy, and a brain that works all the time - instead of what I have now, which includes excessive amounts of downtime and a lot of medications just to keep going.

On a less sensible note, I'd like to be able to play bass guitar or read Japanese. Especially if I could do them without needing to learn :D.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I have a question spacifically for Alex, but if the rest of the staff knows, please enlighten me.

The past two days (Thursday and Friday) I kept getting a message that said "This server is Forbidden" whenever I tried logging on to Pokecharms. What was the reason behind that or was it just some weird glitch?

The same thing has happened to me (Yesterday and Friday). And about a week ago I couldn't get onto the forums for some reason. It said to contact an admin if it appeared again.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
We were in the middle of a server transfer when my internet connection was cut off. A silly permissions issue was the only reason the site wasn't working. If I'd even been able to get online at the time, it would have only taken about 5 minutes to fix...

But oh well, sorry about that, folks.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
As said right above you, we've just had a server move. It is only natural that some things, like the TCM, won't be back yet.

Give it a few days.