• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

I have a question for battle threads.

When we update a battle thread with new teams or new rules, etc, do we add (updated [insert date]) to the thread's name, or post saying that it's been updated?

My inclination would be this: if it's near the top of the topic list, just edit the title to reflect the change, but if it's pretty far down - far enough that people wouldn't notice it - I'd change the title and bump it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Now random question for the staff...

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Too much else to reply to on my slow connection, so I'll go for this question.

Hmm... I'd give myself magical powers! Shape-shifting abilities! Now that'd be a "change" XD (*Bricked*)

Anyways, a self-esteem up-lift could do me wonders in certain areas of my life. It seems the majority of people I meet these days (and have met) have self-esteem issues, though, so I guess everyone could use a shot there.

I know double posting is conidered bad here, but could you get in trouble for double posting on your replies (just in case you get tired of modifying)?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Double posting is bad, end of story, unless you're bumping your own topic in the pit of creativity (that is, bumping your art, sprite, or fic thread with things that actually belong there. Not as in "okay bumping this topic 'cause no one has replied yet" type)

Even if you do get tired of the moderation button, you still have to use it unless used in the circumstance above. Even if you're replying to your own post, yes, you still should edit your post. 'Course, you can always say "Edit" at the bottom to show you've editted your post and what you added in/"replied" to yourself, though I really can't think of a situation where you have to reply to yourself.

Hope that makes at least some sense.

i have been trying all night to put pics in my siggy but as of yet i still havent... can someone plz help me so i can go to bed!!! send me a message plz!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
This question has been answered a bajillion times already and I am growing VERY tired of seeing it.

To put a picture in your avatar, upload it to something like Photobucket or Imageshack, and stick the uploaded image's URL in image tags ([ img] and then [ /img], just without the spaces).

And for the record, 'plz' is not a word and that it far to many exclamation points. You're requested to go and read the rules, please.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I know double posting is conidered bad here, but could you get in trouble for double posting on your replies (just in case you get tired of modifying)?

Funny. I have over 4000 posts and I've never gotten tired of modifying my posts. It takes just as much effort to hit "edit" as it does to post a new message XP

question 4 doctor Oak,
its more help than a question but i recently got a message from the site to quit spamming but i hav no idea what i had done or how i had spammed... srsly someone should just tell me wat i did to my face and, sure, i'll change it, what do u think?

I'm guessing that you were warned for the post earlier in this topic, the post that Stel commented on. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say it's because you were asking a very oft-repeated question and that Stel took umbrage with your spelling (the abbreviations of words like 'please' and 'seriously', for example). Specifically, such behaviors are covered in our rules, which is why you got warned.

But as I said, I'm guessing, so Stel, feel free to correct me. XD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Actually it was about this thread. And I HAVE replied to that explaining why he was warned. >>;;

... HOWEVER. Considering the way he posts (4? u? plz?) I don't think he has any further reason to be here. I'm giving you ONE more chance to read the rules and speak ENGLISH and not chatspeak. I see any of this again, you get banned. Capisce?

question 4 doctor Oak,
its more help than a question but i recently got a message from the site to quit spamming but i hav no idea what i had done or how i had spammed... srsly someone should just tell me wat i did to my face and, sure, i'll change it, what do u think?
Stuff like these make me ask, why don't newbies read the rules before they post stuff?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Here's the deal.

These are newbies, m'kays? Some of them don't even know what the hell a forum is, let alone that this place has rules. Pokecharms could be their first forum ever, and so therefore they tend to act n00bish and stuff. Some of them may have some common sense, and the smarter ones may even be able to avoid warnings. Others are not so fortunate enough to have a brain, and even after constant pestering to read the rules, they still don't get what they're supposed to do. When these newbies to eventually read the rules, they'll usually go like, "Oh my gosh, I've been acting like an idiot this whole time I've been here." But there're still those rebellious by nature, and even after they read the rules they go like pffffft i dun care wut happenz to me lol (yes I fail at chatspeak but you get my point).

I'm speaking from my own experience here, so it may not be accurate but meh. That's what it was like for me; I joined the forums when I was 11 and had no idea what a forum was, and I didn't know this place had rules/where the rules were. But at least I used correct grammar and didn't double-post so I avoided warnings, though looking back at some of my older posts I can really see how much of a n00b I was. I guess I really have evolved a lot. XD

Double posting is bad, end of story, unless you're bumping your own topic in the pit of creativity (that is, bumping your art, sprite, or fic thread with things that actually belong there. Not as in "okay bumping this topic 'cause no one has replied yet" type)

Isn't there another exception? (It still falls into the bumping category, but not necessarily in the Creative stuff.) What if I have a trade thread that has been inactive for a while and I edit to revamp the first post. Even if I had the last post in it, I am still allowed to double post to bump it, right?

Also, I was wondering what was going on with the newbies running around with custom avatars. Was there a rule switch and I missed it, or is this simply an overlooked permissions issue?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Ah yes, thanks for letting us know about that. It seem that when we were fixing the permissions for the regular members as a whole we forgot to set the Newbie group back to having no avatar capabilities. xD

I fixed it now.

Would it be okay to make a topic for PBR wifi war stories? As in talking about insanely ridiculous/very intense battles one's had?

And if it were allowed, would it be in the Wi-Fi Forum, or Pokemon Games Discussion?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Wi-Fi forum is for arranging trades, battles and other Wi-Fi affairs. A discussion on the game would be in the Pokemon Games Discussion forum - which is what that topic would fall under.

2. What are the member ranks and how do I change mine?

Answer: Your member rank is also known as your post count based group and, as you probably guessed, works in accordance to your post count. The full rundown is as follows:

0-50: Newbie
50-75: Trainer
76-150: Skillz0r'd
151-300: Master
300-500: Hercules
500-1000: God
1000-2000: Pwnz0r3
2000+: Get off the bloody computer & get a life

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I edited the original description in the Newbie Help Topic of the post count groups to include this info, too:

Newbie/Trainer: One PokeBall
Skillz0r'd/Master: Two PokeBalls
Hercules/God: Three PokeBalls
Pwnz0r3 and on: Four PokeBalls

I thought it used to go up to 6 PokeBalls for normal members, but apparently it doesn't anymore. Regardless, there you have it.

Thanks a lot, looks like i have a long way to go...

It's such a shame that posts on Forum Games and Ya Seriously don't count.
But, that would make it way too easy.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
They're called Zergoose, they're one of the Novelty pokeymans, and Zergoose eggs rarely appear in the shelter.

Now please direct all the rest of the GPX+ questions to GPX+'s forums. We have nothing to do with them. >>

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Pfft, it's easy. All I do is let other people deal with stuff while I do nothing |D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This question is for all of you:

Is it hard being a mod/working on Pokecharms?

Yes and no. I'm feeling pretty not-witty at the moment, so I'll give a not witty reply.

For me, it's awesome being part of the staff on Pokecharms. I love the site, the home online it has given me, the fact that it's a place to funnel all of my Pokemon-related ideas, and the people I've met through it. In that light, it's not hard at all - it's fun.

That said... Rules need to be made, reviewed/edited, and upheld on a regular basis. There's always someone who's breaking 'em, so it keeps us busy. It can get annoying after awhile, but it comes with the job. Not really sure if "hard" would be the right word for dealing with rule-breakers, tho. It can just be time-consuming and a bit headachey.

Really, the hardest part of being an admin/news poster person on Charms is trying to give it the attention it deserves when life stuff zaps all my energy/focus/spare time/etc. I'd love to be creative enough to keep our news feed updated regularly, but I'm just not always feeling that creative, can't always get to the interesting news when I'd like to (or find it at all), and sometimes simply don't have the energy to put anything decent together. Yeah... that's the hardest part =/