• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

Ah okay. Is it okay to use parts of a card I made on the generator to test my layouts?

Also, any plans to include the option of shiny pokemon on the generator?

Ah okay. Is it okay to use parts of a card I made on the generator to test my layouts?

Also, any plans to include the option of shiny pokemon on the generator?

I'm not a staff, so excuse me for answering, but as to the second question I heard Shinies are being added to the next update. I think it was in one of the announcements on the main site.

maybe is it just me that is dumb, but:
1. why does the trainer-card generator not work?? it only shows a red cross instead of a finished card!
2. why isn't it possible to pick badges from different regions, like pick-self trainer-card.
3. why havent you made a "submit custom badges" "thread"?? it would be AWESOME!!!
4. why is there some pokémons with 3 frames (like delcatty), and others with only 2 (like weavile)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
maybe is it just me that is dumb, but:
1. why does the trainer-card generator not work?? it only shows a red cross instead of a finished card!
2. why isn't it possible to pick badges from different regions, like pick-self trainer-card.
3. why havent you made a "submit custom badges" "thread"?? it would be AWESOME!!!
4. why is there some pokémons with 3 frames (like delcatty), and others with only 2 (like weavile)

1) You're right, this is a dumb question. Which has been answered on the very first news item on the site AND on TWO topics in this forum. How the fuck are people still missing this?
2) Because you can't get badges from different regions in the games.
3) No it wouldn't. It would be full of fanwanky 'self-made' regions, which no-one would give a shit about.
4) The third frame on some Pokemon are their Pinball RS Sprites. As it says in nice pretty red text on the main page of the Trainer Card Maker.

HEY!!! sorry i asked, im just new here! and the custom badge is like 1 or 2 regions only! not a whole truckload of useless badges, just 1 or 2 regions of new, cool badges from this forum! and i've seen MANY badges, that is not in the regions in the animé! and the idea with different region-badge card, i can see, where you are going with this, but still, it would be awesome, if you could have both the fen badge and the rainbow badge on the same card! but still, it's only a question! i'm just a human, that isn't even born in a english-speaking country! and i'm not actually asking for myself, there is actually many, that want to know, why the generator doesn't work! and shiny pokémons on the generator would be nice :) but not, if it would be picked, but as a random generator! 1 to 1.000 would be ok odds

and i'm not actually asking for myself, there is actually many, that want to know, why the generator doesn't work!

We know. They've all asked. Every. Single. One. When so many people ask the exact same question, it gets a little frustrating to answer over and over again. We also expect members here to do us the courtesy of making sure their question has not been asked yet - in this case it's not that difficult, considering the number of times we (okay, Doc) have answered it.

And that idea for shiny Pokemon? Maybe not. What if someone has a shiny Pokemon on their team and wants it on their Card? Should they be forced to wait for 1 in 1000 odds? Shiny Pokemon are coming.

And again, with the multiple-region-badges thing... however cool it may be (and that's opinion, at any rate), you still can't do it in-game, save GSC, and even then you can only get the other region's badges after the first (and Kanto's badges don't show up in the status screen anyway). With that in mind, it would make things needlessly complicated (pick from this list of badges OR get all the Johto badges OR get al the Hoenn badges... etc.).

Hey all, just some "getting to know you" sort of questions...

What was it like/How did you feel about banning the your 1st noob?
And would you say you have changed ever since that 1st experience?

how do u get it 2 show ur card?

bd29b2ac2c6026e9881bbc0695e81514.png

mrcra: Throw the URL between image tags like so:
Code:
[img]url[/img]

Also, you're getting warned for asking the same question multiple times in different places. Qualifies as spam.

Every once in a while, I see someone post an image with a phrase like "Shot at 2007-08-11" after it. I asked Cade_Bain about it, since I saw it in his post, and he said it just appears there after he posts. Any ideas why this happens?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The first rule of Mod club. You don't TALK about Mod club.

Alex/Doctor Oak selects who gets to be a mod. It's entirely up to him, and considering the fact that the staff is already large enough as is (with the new addition of Sami and El to the team, especially) - the chances of any new mods are equivalent to a snowball's chance in hell.

Oh, and also, for good measures, it is a well known fact that people who want power are the ones least suited to have it. >>

I understand that members on a forum shouldn't get any preferential treatment based on an elitist theory post count or w/e, and I wholeheartedly agree that a lot of the people I've seen banned had it coming just because they seem to lack a delta brain wave, but it's just strange to see someone get banned for 3 posts out of, say, 500. There's still the other 497 that were just them being a cool member. What I'm getting at is why did you implement the three strike system instead of one where the mods verbally warn a member, and if it continues then they're banned? I just ask because it seems like the warnings rarely go away. Or maybe I'm just being a fucking moron, who knows. All I know is that some of the mods here are far different then any mods I've encountered in my journeys across the intrawebs.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Well, ZeroKirbyX, we implemented the three strike system because, back when it was instated, we didn't have to deal with SO many retarded n00bs. We figured out that three warning should be enough for people to get it and get their act together.

Of course, back then, we all assumed that these n00bs might have a smidgen of intelligence in their minds and they might be just newbies who aren't misguided, or didn't get the rules right, or just didn't read them outright - and that in some cases, a warning or two may be enough for them to be redeemed. Back then we were also more forgiving - three strikes would not have resulted in an immediate ban, but rather in having their status changed so they could only post in one specific forum ("The Realm of N00bs that Went Too Far.") - and therein, if they showed signs of redeeming themselves, they would have been given another chance - and then, if they failed again - there would have been a ban.

And ever since the system has been established, it's been working for everyone's benefit. So we had no reason not to reinstate it. Except in cases where we deem a certain n00b to be beyond help and then we just ban them outright. Mm. Roasted n00bs.

And indeed, warnings very rarely go away. Usually they only go away when the members go away. >>

And I think this also answers Rocket X's question. I had no qualms with booting idiot n00bs when I started - I fully support the ideas that people with netiquette and brain are a waste of forum space and shouldn't be online anyway. But yeah... I used to be a lot more... tolerant. dealing with SO many of them however has gradually turned me into a vicious sarcastic bastard who enjoys kick-ban-deleting all these little morons with no grasp of grammar, spelling or meaningful content in their posts - it only balances out my frustration of seeing the forums full of these little assholes breeding like FUNGI.

I don't like having to be like this, mind you - I'd rather not go around banning people on left and right and deal with intelligent people instead - but yeah. these n00bs make SUCH a satisfying plop noise when their severed head hits the pavement. >>;;

i do respect the fact, that answering the same question over and over again and again is frustrating, and the badge-mix was denied, okey! (but it would be awesome XD)
and... no comments to the mod-club ;)

See, thats what I understand. But I've seen some members do things that, while against the rules, aren't anything that could normally be considered a remote reason for a warn. You mentioned that some members showed worthiness, so why would you want to get rid of the worthy? What I'm getting at is why not verbal warnings to members that are generally good guys, just because they may have accidentally slipped? If someone new posts "hay gaiz, im ur master lol no rely im just narutofox. hiiiiiiiiii" in its own topic I fully understand, but why warn someone with a good track record because he accidenatlly starts talking about Yu-Gi-Oh with some guys in his sprite thread after he posts a Yugi? If he's been a generally good guy, wouldn't a simple "Hey guys, you're makin a conversation in this thing. Might want to chill before I gotta do something" instead of just "Conversation. Warned. Oh, whats that? You've already got 2? B&." You just effectively banned someone for talking about Yu-Gi-Oh, and that seems crazy to me. And on the same note, if the topic creator doesn't mind if there's a conversation in his topic, why does it matter? Its not like its a public forum, where he's changing the topic from Pokemon EVs to Yu-Gi-Oh, he's just having a side conversation while occasionally updating in his own thread. EH, what I'm basically getting at is: Make me mod XD No, no, seriously though, I just think it would be better to verbally warn good, supportive members for minor offenses instead of treating them like you would any other ol' 12-year-old narutard who thinks explanation is what makes you have to poo.

We used to be much more lax, as Stel mentioned. Until the insane waves of n00bs dies down, we are forced to be rather iron-fisted. In regards to the example you posted, if the person gets banned, it's not just because they were talking about Yu-Gi-Oh - it's because they broke the rules on three separate occasions. You'd think, after two, that most people would get the hint. :p

Also, about your comment on the topic creator not caring about conversations: they may not care, but we do. We reserve the right to enforce the rules everywhere on this forum - not just in certain spots. Again, this is something that was lax in the past, but something we've had to come down on heavier more recently.

Edit: We also have a perfectly serviceable PM system and chatroom for people who want to have a separate conversation. :p

But what I'm getting at is that my only warn was for something I never have gotten warned for before on any other forum that has the exact same rules y'all do. Even when I posted damn near the exact same thing before. I never would have thought it to be against them, and there are sure to be other members that think the same when they get warned. I can understand having to bring he hammer down on n00bs, but there is no need to bring it down on those that show themselves not to be. You can be lax and still not put up with shit, there's no need to get all ancy.

But what I'm getting at is that my only warn was for something I never have gotten warned for before on any other forum that has the exact same rules y'all do. Even when I posted damn near the exact same thing before. I never would have thought it to be against them, and there are sure to be other members that think the same when they get warned. I can understand having to bring he hammer down on n00bs, but there is no need to bring it down on those that show themselves not to be. You can be lax and still not put up with shit, there's no need to get all ancy.

I just had a look at the post you got warned for, and if that was your first post I'm not surprised you got warned. The amount of total idiots that try to sign up and immediately make posts like that is unbelievable. How was anyone supposed to know that you weren't going to spam the place?

The fact that you actually survived the first week means it's quite likely you just made one slip-up, in which case you have nothing to worry about. There are times when someone hits the Report Post button and by the time I've accessed the site the offending user has already been banned. Also, regarding this:

"Conversation. Warned. Oh, whats that? You've already got 2? B&."

Almost everyone who even gets a second warning is on the fast track to getting banned anyway. I can't think of many users that haven't received a third warning soon afterwards.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Even with a tougher front in the face of a wave of idiots, we still have a pretty lax and overall fair system anyways. You have to actively try to be banned right off the spot, and in all other cases, to be banned you've broken the rules at least 3 times - and if it takes you that many times to understand stuff that's really nothing more than just common sense, then you deserve to be banned.

The use of this forum is a privelege, not a right. We will remove that privelege to whomever we deem undeserving of it, whenever we deem it so and for whatever reason.

But so long as people post with intelligence and common sense, there's no reason they should be banned.

Getting a warning doesn't necessarily mean you're next on the ban list - it just means you've been warned for breaking the rules and should take notice or take a hike. Really bloody simple really, and in the face of a bunch of idiots no doubt coming from places like Serebii, still a much fairer system than you'd get there and one that's advantageous to those who actually want to use these forums correctly.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Our problem isn't that we have twelve year olds, it's that we have moronic twelve year olds. So, unless people start using their brains, we're gonna carry on giving out warnings and bans as we have been.

Also, I was working with some Year Five kids recently, who were either 9 or 10 years old. And they were smarter than some people here. >.>

They get warns per occasion, right? 'Cause I could've sworn I once saw, and maybe I just took the post out of context, someone get three warnings for a single post. It probably didn't happen the way I remember it, but doesn't strike me as adequate time for the first warning to sink in.

They get warns per occasion, right? 'Cause I could've sworn I once saw, and maybe I just took the post out of context, someone get three warnings for a single post. It probably didn't happen the way I remember it, but doesn't strike me as adequate time for the first warning to sink in.

I saw that too. Something like "Double post, wrong topic, and spam. Congrats, you're banned. kthxbai" right?

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Additionally, those people actually managed to get themselves three warnings at once. So yeah, they were banned on the spot. :)

kthxbai.

I think the point he was making is that "They did three at once" contradicts the "The first warning should have sunk in theory." Of course, I do agree with the idea of just banning general morons. On another note though, that childish, "kthxbai" shit is unnecessary. If you're gonna warn em, warn em. No need to be a smartass dick about about :/

I have two questions.

The first is, why does the doctor hate france?

The second is, in the Wifi trading forum, are we allowed to double-post in our own trading threads if we have new trades to offer?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
1) Because Rach (Prof. Cinders) is stuck there for a fortnight.
2) You may bump your own trading topic, yes - but you're advised to keep your trade information to the first post.