• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
The main thing with the trophies is that they're one of the ways you achieve "fame" on Pokecharms. If you go to Notable Members you'll see we have ranks for Most Posts, Most Likes and Most Points. Most of the people on the Notable Members list are staff or ex-staff, but not all of them!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
When I want to see some members' profile, some of it say that the 'user's profile is not available.' Why is this so?
There's a few reasons - the one you're probably running into is that you can't see a banned member's profile. You can also be denied if a user sets their privacy settings to only allow people they follow, although I believe the error message explicitly says so in thatcase

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
How did you guys choose your user titles~? They're all pretty catchy and creative :3

I believe that my current title was the result of a competition that we ran awhile back, so any creativity behind it belongs to the person who originally coined the title. Mind you, the title is fairly self-explanatory re: Linkachu being based on Link and my obsession with pizza. XD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
My current title, "Secretary of Defenestration", came from my favoured way of "banning people" in chat, which was to throw them out of the window. I guess the secretary bit just refers to my tendency to bustle about and keep the site working xp

Also, my title might actually be @StellarWind Elsydeon's idea, I've long since forgotten.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
How did you guys choose your user titles~? They're all pretty catchy and creative :3

Hmmmm. I don't think I came up with my title on my own either. I think it came about mostly from Katie and Peter, and general stuff that got said in chat about me and Eevee over the years.

I think it was just kinda fitting that I really, really liked Eevee/Eeveelutions and was in a position of power here, thus I should probably be putting some of my efforts towards taming cute fuzzy things. Hence I am the Eevee Tamer~ :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
See, sometimes El tries to have another custom title. Invariably one of the other staff members (me, this time) change it back to the correct one.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

Feathered Overseer was suggested by someone for me during a contest we ran a while back. I'm not sure who suggested it, but I liked it the most out of the suggestions I got :)

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
My title is pretty obvious if you spend any time around me in chat. I am completely obsessed with the Elder Scrolls series of games, to the point that I have actually played over 1000 hours of Skyrim across my four characters. (And yes, that's a thousand).

I also play Pokemon, of course, and many cute Nintendo games such as Animal Crossing, and cute non-Nintendo games such as Plants vs Zombies. But the Elder Scrolls games are the ones which have drawn me in and left me fascinated by the world.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@Flygonn There's a button to the left of the floppy disk button in the toolbar, in the same group as the smiley face - click that, and the spoiler option is the second in the drop-down :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@Flygonn Yup - the quote button is in the same place as the spoiler button :p You can get one with the green "Teapot said" attribution bar by clicking Reply on someone's post :)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
You can't change your name yourself - but if you want your name changed, contact one of the administrators with the name you want to use, and we'll do it for you. ^^

Um, I feel so dumb asking this but..
How does the chat function? I read the rules, and I get them, I just don't know how it works.. I want to join, and thanks in advance.
God I'm stupid.. ^^;

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It's really not rocket science. Once you've read the rules and entered the chat room... Say hi, really. If no one's responding, we're probably busy or not really paying attention to chat at a given moment. That happens. If a conversation is in progress and you don't have anything to contribute to it, sit back, lurk, watch the madness unfold until you do have an opening in the conversation.

Think of it as any social situation in real life really - you walk into a room full of strangers, some of which have known each other for ages. Don't expect to understand everything right away, don't attempt to commandeer the conversation or demand attention, and follow the rules - and you should be quite fine, really.

Fail and face erasure.

That's really all there is to it. ^_^

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Custom user titles are reserved to staff, people who have earned a custom title via a contest or event or (temporarily) people who changed their names (in which case they may get the title 'Formerly [the last name they used]', to make the transition more fluid.

So, one more question. I've seen three dots when I look at the forum. It looks like this:
<picture> > ... and under is the name of the member . It usually shows the Thread , but sometimes this shows up. Is it just my computer ? lf not, What does it mean ?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, one more question. I've seen three dots when I look at the forum. It looks like this:
<picture> > ... and under is the name of the member . It usually shows the Thread , but sometimes this shows up. Is it just my computer ? lf not, What does it mean ?
That's a bug, actually. It's not supposed to happen. Basically, the forums cut off the thread titles after a while so they fit, but sometimes it freaks out and cuts off the entire title. Out of curiosity, what operating system and browser are you using?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@Teapot I'm using Google Chrome for the browser, and my operating system is Windows 7 .Why, is it a problem or something?
Thanks for the info :) Yes - because it's a site problem, we need to know about it in detail so I can find it and fix it. Your operating system and browser are important because the nature of web design means that things work differently on different configurations. For example, knowing you run Google Chrome and I run Safari and we've both seen the problem tells me several very important (and technical) things. Same as knowing you run Windows 7, It's all pieces of the puzzle that let me narrow down what's causing this and fix it.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
What's the difference between pressing quote and reply? I really haven't been able to figure it out on my own.
Quote adds the message to the multiquote stack - you can hit Quote on all the messages you want to reply to, then just click "Insert into Posts" on the reply box to add them all in.

Reply just replies to one post specifically.

EDIT (August 2014): The quote button has been removed to simplify things, after the introduction of the snazzy select-to-quote function.

Last edited:
So after 17 years, what do you think keeps the anime running with roughly the same repetitive formula its had since Season 1? Obviously the people watching the pokemon anime today aren't the same people who were watching 17 years ago. Are you surprised the show was never rebooted?

Lastly, and this might only be recognizable to older fans, why did people think for the longest time that the original trio was supposed to be an overall important group for the series? The Ash/Misty/Brock trio was only ever reunited once for Johto, and then was never used again for the entire rest of the series. Yet I remember during the Hoenn and Sinnoh days at least, people constantly speculating about an original trio reunion. Was this just blind nostalgia? Did people honestly think Misty/Brock were supposed to be more important characters than everyone else who came after them? Obviously now nobody thinks this anymore, but it really seemed like people worked under the assumption that Misty and Brock were up there with Ash and Team Rocket as important characters, even nowadays we know both really weren't. Logically speaking I never understood this myself, although that might be because I was never a Misty fan, and Brock ran his course years ago.

I was wondering why im a girl when I actually aboy lol it shows me as the female trainer from white 2
Sorry I'm not staff, but I'm pretty sure I know why: I believe the default icon is Rosa, and you can change that. Just click on the icon next to your username, select 'Preferences' and you can select what you want your icon/sprite to be from there.

Amm just wondering, new here and decided to make a trainer card its pretty cool but noticed one thing missing. the trainer sprite i wanted to use. is it just me or there isn't a loerelei one?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The TCM utilizes Gen 4/Gen 5 style sprites and a bunch of characters (namely Lorelei, Agatha, the Hoenn E4 and anyone from gen 6) never got sprites. I suspect no one made custom sprites of them either yet, alas.