• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Avatar (AU)

By the time everyone had dispersed, Dag-Le had dropped Maru to the ground, and had his Dai Li agents bound the young bender's wrists and ankles.

Four more Dai Li came from down the sewer, at the ready to fight. Their Lt. held up a hand to tell them to hold up.

"You disappoint me, Maru," Dag-Le admitted, "You finally find some friends with some fight in them and now you give in?"

"Maybe we could have taken you," Maru said, his face in the pavement, his hair and forehead hanging over the edge near the sewage, "how many of us would have survived? Or killed? Would we be any different from you?"

The Lieutenant grabbed Maru's collar and yanked him up. The older man was sneering. He'd won and he felt no joy in it.

"Your parents fought and killed to the very last." Dag-le said.

"And all they did was die." Maru shot back.

"So will you!" Dag-le snarled, "Just once I'd have thought you'd fight back!"

"Either option ended with me in chains. At least the friends I did make went unscathed."

"Your selflessness is befitting the Dai Li," Dag-le pointed out, "your parents were the selfish ones. Who quit on their country."

"Don't you say a word about them!" Maru warned.

"Or what? You'll surrender again?" The lieutenant growled. Still holding Maru by the collar, he thrust the teen toward the ground, where earth rushed up to meet his midsection.

With the wind knocked from him, Maru felt the lieutenant drop him into the sewage before he passed out.

Coming to, Maru was on the back of a wagon lugged by a couple of ostrich horses. He seemed to be among a rather large prison caravan, though he couldn't account for his clarity due to lack of breathe and what felt to be blood flowing to his head.

They stopped for some time to eat. Prisoners were given meager rations and subjected to watching their Dai Li captors eat a modest but filling meal.

As Maru ate, his hands and feet still bound tight, Dag-le found him through the rest of the temporary camp. The teen looked up at his captor and away again.

"Did you think we hunted you alone?" The lieutenant asked.

"No." Maru replied.

"I apologize for disrespecting your parents'' Dag-le sighed and sat beside Maru, who again turned away, "I was close friends with the both of them, before they left."

Maru threw his food aside and growled, turning to look over his shoulder.

"You're a monster." He said.

"I'm a soldier." Dag-le responded.

"There's no difference," Maru turned away again.

"Maybe not. Like you, everything I did was for me and my family and a dream of survival. I will never atone for killing your parents. But I was with them when they did some truly detestable things as well. We loved each other all the same."

With a sigh, Dag-le stood and walked away, Maru's back still to him. The earthbender sat another few minutes before a Dai Li agent collected him and put him back on the wagon.

For a moment Maru slipped off into sleep, and he dreamed about a campfire that grew taller and hotter, and he woke up sweating.

Then came the screams and the explosion of fire contacting with earth.

"Spread out!" Someone called, "we're under attack!"

The prisoners in the wagon fell into a hush to hear what they could outside. It didn't sound as though the Dai Li were winning.

Maru had his ear pressed to the side when an intense flash of heat hit him in the back. The wagon - and some of its unfortunate occupants - had been blown open in an attack.

The prisoners filed out directly into a battle between the Dai Li and Fire Nation soldiers. Their allegiances split, many found the nearest person and offered to help, no matter the side.

Maru ducked and turned, running through the chaos in search of the last wagon in the caravan, where he thought the Dai Li kept confiscated weapons.

The Fire Nation had taken control of three nearby hills and were reigning fire from above, without care of what got caught in the middle.

The Dai Li, desperate, tried to push forward but could not gain ground without giving up defensive positioning. Even with the prisoners who were bolstering their numbers out of personal desperation did not help make up the deficit.

Separated from most of the rest of his earthbending brothers, Maru broke free from his restraints and found the confiscated weapon caravan tipped over, the ostrich horses carrying it long gone.

He found his tachi and another well-made looking short sword and took cover behind the wagon, wondering what he should do. Any move he made he'd be in the path of a firebender.

"North! North!" The firebenders changed their direction all of a sudden, in one swift motion like a unit that had been bred as one whole. The earthbenders fired probing attacks into their flanks as they turned.

That was when the waterbenders came from that northern position, charging in with liquid whips and icicle shutdown taken from a nearby creek, crashing into the firebenders.

The distraction that created allowed the Dai Li to regather and push up the closest hill, the fighting continuing until each of the three participants were gathered upon a hill of their own.

Where the fighting died so was born the anticipation of its renewal. Maru, his tachi sheathed at his side and his new short sword gripped tight in his hand. His path was less than clear. Fire lined the road north and south, and the road itself was littered with bodies dead and near-dead, supine and still.

As Maru began to move south, back toward Gaoling, he heard the combatants cry out once more, and the elements clashed in a cacophony of battle.

Walking slow, unsure if he was being watched by scouts, Maru felt a hand grab at his calf and grip tight. Turning and holding his sword our defensively, Maru looked down and saw Dag-le, half-scorched and barely breathing.

"H-help," he begged, gripping tighter, "h-help."

His hand dropped from Maru's calf and the earthbender paused, conflicted. Gritting his teeth, Maru pulled the still breathing Lieutenant off the road and under a cedar tree. Dai Li agents just up the hill, defending their rear, took notice.

"Ah, s-shade," Dag-le sputtered, the left half of his face was as scorched as his clothing. He must have been at the epicenter of quite the large blast, "it's s-so hot today."

"Lieutenant!" One of his men rushed down the hill and to his side. Looking to Maru, the agent scowled, "If it hadn't been for you we'd have been in Ba Sing Se already!"

Maru reached for his sword but Dag-le stopped the both of them.

"My f-fault," he said to the man, brushing a hand against his burned face, "my punishment."

Dag-le sighed, but after a moment smiled, even as his men faced off against the forces of two other armies, beyond outnumbered.

"Let us r-rest in t-the shade and s-sing songs with the spirits." Dag-le muttered, holding his Dai Li agents hand firm until his eyes closed and his hand went limp.

Fuming, agent stood, and turned to look up the hill his fellow earthbenders were defending. He paused to look back at Maru, who sat still on his knees, hovering over Dag-le. Without a word, the agent moved back up the hill and rejoined the battle.

Yet Maru couldn't find it in himself to move just yet as he begged the spirits and the badger moles to look over the man who had killed his parents.

NDB

Previously BartenderReaper
So, Maru was taken. Ruby groaned and rubbed her forehead before running a hand through her short hair. She turned away from the group and walked a short distance away from them. It’s been roughly four days since she left her home and already so much has seemed to go wrong. “Honestly, I don’t think we should split up again,” Ruby finally said. She turned back to the group. “I know I was the one that split up from the rest of you. Now, Maru was taken and that is completely my fault. If I were there, X probably wouldn’t have followed me and we could’ve stopped them.” Ruby looked at each of member of the group. “I know we just met, but you all are the closest things to friends I’ve ever had.”

Nue looked at all the other people and felt like she was intruding on something. She looked at the girl who asked what her name was. "I'm Nue, and the lemur is Kiko." She sorta felt like an outcast, like if she were to leave, no one would care. She stayed though, looking throughout the people gathered there. Apparently someone was captured and she had no idea who this Maru was, other that he was captured, anyway. Nue was so focused on the people surrounding her that she didn't notice Kiko looking at a girl's bracelets, more specifically, Shao's bangles. Kiko liked shiny things, and gold was shiny. He wanted it, and as he was an animal, he didn't understand property. With a screech, he flew off of Nue's shoulder to Shao's bracelets, using his hind legs to try to get a shiny for himself. When Nue realized what her pet was doing, her eyes widened. "Kiko, no! Stop!" For that split second she was stuck, mortified what her pet was doing. Though, this wasn't the first, just something she usually prevents. After a bit, she rushed over, but Kiko kept weaving out of her reach. "I'm so sorry about him." She said as she tried to reclaim her troublesome pet.

"Huh?" Shao didn't even notice the small creature by her until it began tugging at one of her bangles. "A lemur? well aren't you cute?" Shao smiled. "Sorry little guy, but you can't have these." seeing the embarrassed air nomad she laughed, "No worries, he's not the first critter to try to steal these, though he was the closest to actually touch them." Shao's bangles may seem loose and jingly on her wrists, but they are actually quite difficult to remove with out some dexterous movements of her hands, they are loose to add an effect to her dancing , so they had to stay on through some rather extraneous movements. Shao stared at the group before her and relized that she did not know any of them, her only connection to them prior was only Maru and he's gone now. Shao shrugged, "Sorry for just kind of forcing my way into the group but I'm Shao Deng, I guess you can call me a traveling entertainer. It was partially my fault that Maru got captured so I'll do whatever I can to get him back. Also, he told me that one of you is the Avatar? Is it true that the Avatar has returned?" Shao scanned the group of individuals in front of her.

=Nightshade=

Previously Night's Shadow
Xaraia glanced at the others before making a shallow bow towards Shao, directing her attention to Ruby. “It ain’t me. But yeah, it’s true.” She straightened and grinned. “Well, if we’re doing formal introductions, I guess I can trust you all. I’m Xaraia Catonia. If you call me Cat or Kitty, heads are gonna roll. And it’s not gonna be mine. So don’t even go there.” She grinned again to show that she was joking. “Anyway. All in favor of getting outta here, regrouping, and getting Broadsword back before the Dai Li wipe the floor with us?”

“Avatar’s not me either. I say we bounce, too.” He agreed, pausing for a moment before he also introduced himself. “I’m Fukushimi Nakamura. And like Xaraia said, don’t try and twist it or else we’re gonna have a problem, especially with you.” He said, turning his head over in Hayato’s direction as he finished that last part. “I’m not usually this serious by the way, but we’re in a pretty dire situation here.”

NDB

Previously BartenderReaper
"I am the Avatar," Ruby said. There wasn't any enthusiasm in her voice. She still wasn't so excited about being the Avatar and all the responsibilities that it came with. "Let's head north and figure out where we can go from there. We don't know which way they're going with Maru and if we just aimlessly wander around, we arent going to get anywhere." Ruby started heading north along the shore, waving for the group to follow her.