• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Eelektross and Archeops [Double Battles]

I have not actually participated in double battles yet with a pair trained for it, so I need some help. This is not a serious pair for extreme competitive battling, just so I can beat my friend in a double battle tomorrow, who is also a casual player. I just need help with movesets in general. Yes I am aware the Natures are terrible, but again, these two aren't for serious competitive battling.

Edit: I'll still use them after tomorrow, but most likely not in battles against other people. I'll be using them in the Battle Subway instead.

(I don't actually have an Eelektross and an Archeops right now, but I'm working on it, so the movesets are not set in stone.)

Archeops @ Flying Gem
Defeatist
Quirky Nature

- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect

Acrobatics and Rockslide for STAB. Earthquake beacause it's a fairly decent move for doubles. It's a plus that it doesn't affect Eelektross. Protect to keep Archeops alive longer and if Eelektross uses Discharge.

Eelektross @ ?
Levitate
Modest Nature

- Flamethrower
- Discharge/Thunderbolt
- Gastro Acid
- Flash Cannon/Protect/Grass Knot/HP Psychic

Flamethrower to cover Archeops' ice and steel type weakness. Gastro Acid to nullify Defeatist. Either Discharge or Thunderbolt for STAB. Discharge has lower power, but hits everything, including Archeops. So Archeops will have to use Protect. However, Thunderbolt has higher power, but hits only one target. Good for dealing some electric type damage without having Archeops use Protect.

I don't know what to do with that last slot at all. Coverage, I guess?

All kinds of fail.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If you don't have Archeops yet then you can probably swap it for something immune to Electric so that Eelektross can spam Discharge.

Anyway, no maybes on Protect - it is mandatory and will be your last moveslot for Eelektross. Gastro Acid is a waste of space and should be dropped for something like HP Ice or Grass Knot (preferably the former since Dragons troll you otherwise.) Doubles requires you to do as much as you can in every turn you have, and using Gastro Acid on Archeops will put you behind straightaway.

Honestly, if you really wanted a Discharge/Earthquake combination, Garchomp + Zapdos/Thundurus would work best.

So, this is all kinds of fail. Gotcha XD

The only problem is, none of my other pokemon (including Garchomp) are actually set up for Double Battles, only Singles. I probably could change my Garchomp's moveset around and use that for said Double Battle, with a Discharge Spamming Eelektross.

Do you have any other way of figuring out a Tynamo's Hidden Power, asides from evolving it and showing it to the guy in Mistralton?

Edit: I wasn't actually going for Discharge/Earthquake combo when I started, I just wanted to see how this would fare in a Double Battle. Quite poorly, apparently. XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
You don't need to evolve it to find out the Hidden Power type from the guy in Mistralton.

Considering you say your movesets fail, your Archeops is actually perfect (besides the nature) for double battles. Effectively, Garchomp would use the same moveset except with Dragon Claw over Acrobatics.

I do have to, he said "This pokemon cannot learn Hidden Power" and left it at that. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Alrighty then. Carmen helped with the movesets a bit before I posted here though XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Huh, what an asshole, then you will have to evolve it to find out.

Also Game Freak suck for making it this way.

Evolving Tynamos from level 1 to 39, so much pain.

When I do get around to it, would this be an alright moveset?

Eelektross @ ?
Modest Nature

- Discharge
- Protect
- HP Ice
- Flamethrower

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Saying you shouldn't use Pokémon because they're "noobs" is a really poor excuse for not having solid reasoning for your arguments. If you're referring to either being Ubered, neither are banned in the games (or Uber here, for that matter) so that point's moot too. As for the "destroyed by Rock" thing, I'm not experienced enough to say, but I am sure anyone more capable could explain.

Next time, please back up your arguments with actual reasoning, not conjecture and opinion.

Anyone who knows anything about competitive battling won't be so eager to keep Zapdos/Thundurus in against a Rock-type or something that commonly carries a rock move - unless there is almost absolute certainty that our friends will KO it.

Besides, KoL merely offered them as a suggestion because it's a well-known Doubles combo, not to mention incredibly effective. However, Shado is still opting to use Eelektross over either of those, and will either alter her Garchomp's moveset or just train an Archeops.

You only can't use Thundurus or Garchomp on certain online servers because they have been deemed "too powerful". Garchomp because he can destroy everything with only a turn of set-up, and Thundurus because it's so damn versatile.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
PurplePokeMaster said:
I wouldn't use Zaapdos or Thundurus b/c they are legends and noobs. Plus, you can't use them in wi-fi so it would fail. And you would get destroyed by Rock.

Also warned for being a god-damned scrub.

Also, you can use them in Wi-Fi, also Protect/Detect/Substitute.

I should warn you again for posting awful advice, but once will do. Please refrain from posting stupid, worthless drivel in my Clinic ever again.