• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Food in Pokémon

=Nightshade=

Previously Night's Shadow
Have any of you ever wondered what people eat in the Pokémon universe? I mean, duh there are berries, but in terms of meat.

News Flash: it’s pretty clear they eat Pokémon.

So what Pokémon do you think are... hmmm... the most edible, per say?

In my opinion:
Torchic—it’s literally a chicken
Stanler— mmm, venison
Miltank—beeeeeeef

What about you?

D

Deleted member 284192

I feel like I have seen many references (especially in the anime) to Magikarp being prepared as food. You'd have to imagine they probably eat all sorts of Pokefish. That begs the question of whether they hunt fish for other resources. For example, do they hunt Wailmers and Wailords for whale oil?

It is also important to note that they have eaten stuff like rice balls in the anime, though in the dubbed version they iconically referred to them as "jelly donuts."

Bolero

Previously Boleroofnoodles
Only the braves hunt this guy
Spr_5b_257_m.png

D

Deleted member 284192

I wonder if there are some cultures In the Pokemon world that condone eating pokedogs. Like cooking up a spicy Growlithe meal. It’s possible.

Honestly surprised no one has mentioned slowpoke here yet; it’s canon in both the games and the anime that their tails are considered a delicacy.
In terms of byproducts, it’s mentioned in their ‘dex entries that you can drink the tea from sinistea and polteageist’s potentially counterfeit chinaware. I mean, you might get your life force sucked out of your body, but apparently it’s good: high risk, high reward.

As for general edibility, I’d consider the least edible types to be rock, ground, poison, and steel; all of these would either actively kill you via ingestion or would be the equivalent of getting a mouthful of sand at the beach. Fun. The least edible Pokémon would be those that would kill you for even looking in their direction (although that’s kind of a given); technically, you might be able to eat Arceus, but you’re more likely to get stomped to death for even getting close.
Of course, there are exceptions to this—for example, there may be a way to specially prepare certain Pokémon so that they are, in fact, edible (quilfish would probably be similar to pufferfish preparation in real life).
Broadly speaking, the most edible types would be water, flying, and normal. Normal is a bit of a mixed bag, but flying type is generally made up of birds and water type is generally made up of fish. Most normal types would be technically edible, but the question would lean moreso towards why would you do that (physically, you could eat an eevee, but emotionally? Imagine the toll).

Pokémon kind of doesn’t offer much insight into the subject other than implications of Pokémon-based dishes and the occasional offhand ‘dex entry that identifies said Pokémon as food (i.e. bounsweet, farfetch’d). So honestly this is a very broad topic.
Vanillice line, anyone?
This is the only one I’m going to disagree with here, because vanillite is stated to just be made of. Well. Ice. Ice that happens to be suspiciously shaped like a frozen dessert. You could eat one, but it would probably be the equivalent of shoveling snow into your mouth (which means I guess you could make one into a snowcone if you really wanted to?). There are definitely desserts based off of them, however, probably made from the aforementioned miltank/gogoat milk (or whatever dairy substitute they have in the Pokémon world).

EDIT: Misspelled vanillite, whoops.

Last edited:
How did we forget about the alcremie line? They’re made entirely of cream and they can gigantamax into a cake? They’ve got to be at least somewhat edible, right?

And that photoset honestly raises the question of whether non-Pokémon animals exist in the Pokémon universe. Because that’s very clearly just a normal lobster on the table, not a corphish (I know they’re crayfish Pokémon but that’s the closest we have to a lobster). But because Pokémon refuses to confirm or deny that we can assume that those are probably torchic/combusken legs.
Poor magikarp

D

Deleted member 284192

You know Tropius? That Pokemon grows bananas on its chin, or at least they look like bananas. Could people harvest bananas off of Tropius? I don't recall ever seeing a banana in the Pokemon games or anime but maybe.

D

Deleted member 284192

Well I just looked it up on bulbapedia and got my answer.

"Since it ate only this kind of fruit continuously, the fruit began to grow around its neck. These yellow, banana-like fruits can be picked and consumed by other Pokémon or humans, and grow twice a year because of the rapid production of sugar in Tropius's leaves. Its feet have toenails the same color as its fruit."

Metagross has a neat pokédex in pokémon sun.

Metagross firmly pins its prey using its four claws and large body. Then the teeth in the mouth on its stomach chew the prey to bits.

Just gonna go ahead and drop this picture. Good luck getting sleep tonight.
fc366e72459181.5be87a7be347e.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just add my two cents to the original topic.
In the original anime, there were a few scenes (I believe during the episode where Ash challenged the Cerulean Gym) where there were fish tanks with non-Pokemon fish.
Perhaps this implies that there are other non-Pokemon animals too.

They did a lot of stuff in season one that never really happened in later seasons. Like guns.
220px-Gun.png

To think Ash's journey could have stopped before he ever left kanto.

I went ahead and grabbed a link from bulbapedia that has all the times pokémon eat pokémon, people eat pokémon ,and non pokémon animals were eaten. All of the times non pokémon animals were eaten has only been shown in gen 1. They must have scrapped that idea.

Thought I'd also post a few beautiful pokédex entries.

Mandibuzz(moon) - It circles in the sky, keeping a keen eye out for Pokémon in a weakened state. Its choicest food is Cubone.

Mandibuzz(ultra sun) - It skillfully arranges the bones of its prey to construct its nest. Most of the bones are Cubone.

Cubone(ultra sun) - At night, it weeps loudly for its dead mother, but those cries only attract its natural enemy—Mandibuzz.

Golisopod(shield) - They live in sunken ships or in holes in the seabed. When Golisopod and Grapploct battle, the loser becomes the winner's meal.

Bolero

Previously Boleroofnoodles
BRUHHH!!!
Pidgeotto-X "The claws on its feet are well developed. It can carry prey such as an Exeggcute to its nest over 60 miles away."

Taillow-Sapphire "Taillow is young - it has only just left its nest. As a result, it sometimes becomes lonesome and cries at night. This Pokémon feeds on Wurmple that live in forests."

Pidgeot-Red "When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Magikarp"
Crystal "Its outstanding vision allows it to spot splashing Magikarp, even while flying at 3,300 feet."
LeafGreen "When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Magikarp"
X "When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Magikarp."

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
BRUHHH!!!
Pidgeotto-X "The claws on its feet are well developed. It can carry prey such as an Exeggcute to its nest over 60 miles away.

Pidgeot-Red "When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Magikarp"
Crystal "Its outstanding vision allows it to spot splashing Magikarp, even while flying at 3,300 feet."
LeafGreen "When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Magikarp"
X "When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Magikarp."

Magikarp: Exists
Pidgeot: Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru