• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Gotta Debate 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 284192

I'm pretty it only originated from the games wanting to encourage people to work with others to complete their Pokedex. As for the in-game science behind it, I'm just as lost. There are some that are cool and make sense like Escavalier and Accelgor.

It isn't as unnecessary than you think. When you trade a Pokemon, its friendship level resets to the base level it was before. Their trainer traded them away and they may not know why. The sudden change in ownership and now a change in how they act in life is different. They evolve because they want to feel stronger so that their original trainer will take them back. They also evolve because they feel like they have failed their original trainer, no matter the reasoning. Due to this, they evolve so that their new trainer won't be disappointed in their performance.

I loathe trade evolutions with every cell in my body. Because trade evolutions I could never have machamp as a kid. Some people might think trade evolution is 'cute' cause it forces you to interact with and potentially make friends with people. Only problem. None of my friends played pokémon. They didn't have any pokémans. I coudln't get machamp, I couldn't get golem, I couldn't get alakazam ,and all my childhood anger and frustration is flooding back all at once... Scizor and Slowking too what the heck?! So many of my favorite pokémon that I can't have! What's up??? Its fine nowadays... I guess cause I mostly accepted the things I cannot have ,and moved on ,but the memories and scars still linger... I feel like a goofy 5 year old writing this post...

Basically, a Pokemon feels bad because their trainer had traded them away for another Pokemon. They evolve to hopefully get back to their original trainer but to never get traded away again to anybody else and at least spend time with their new trainer. They don't want to feel an inkling of betrayal again.

It is also partially the reason why they Level up so fast. They are working double time and the experiences are also richer, causing them to learn way faster than normal Pokemon. However, they will constantly compare their new trainer to their original, and will be disobedient if their new trainer doesn't impress them.

I still think my trainer should have a bond strong enough with his machoke that their friendship is enough for it to evolve. The trade evolutions an be justified ,but they shouldn't have to be that way. They can easily be motivated to evolve because their bond with their trainer is that strong.

They definitely won't change it now. Trade evolutions are just iconic part of the game. Though technically they did eventually remove the use of HMs. Some years back people thought HMs would be in pokémon games forever. Same could be said for trade evolutions. I highly doubt it ,but its a pipe dream of mine...

Though luckily in games like ultra sun there are some trade evolved pokémon you can catch in the wild. I believe the same can be said for sw/sh? I dunno about it cause I still never played sw/sh ,and I have no interest in playing it now. (Not saying its a bad game. Just that I'm not interested in purchasing it.)

I still think my trainer should have a bond strong enough with his machoke that their friendship is enough for it to evolve. The trade evolutions an be justified ,but they shouldn't have to be that way. They can easily be motivated to evolve because their bond with their trainer is that strong.

They definitely won't change it now. Trade evolutions are just iconic part of the game. Though technically they did eventually remove the use of HMs. Some years back people thought HMs would be in pokémon games forever. Same could be said for trade evolutions. I highly doubt it ,but its a pipe dream of mine...

Though luckily in games like ultra sun there are some trade evolved pokémon you can catch in the wild. I believe the same can be said for sw/sh? I dunno about it cause I still never played sw/sh ,and I have no interest in playing it now. (Not saying its a bad game. Just that I'm not interested in purchasing it.)

I understand where you are coming from. I don't really mind it, but I don't exactly agree with it either. But it does make sense. Those Pokemon feel like they don't have to change much for their trainer. A strong bond won't get them to evolve because they are too comfortable with their original trainer. Which is why a strong friendship just won't work.

Although, it's easy to get trade evos if you have two handheld consoles and two games. Though, I understand if parents dont have the money to pay for it.
I buy my own games. Money isn't quite a problem. I got plenty

I understand where you are coming from. I don't really mind it, but I don't exactly agree with it either. But it does make sense. Those Pokemon feel like they don't have to change much for their trainer. A strong bond won't get them to evolve because they are too comfortable with their original trainer. Which is why a strong friendship just won't work.

A strong ambitious trainer motivates them to be better. Like a gym coach and their students. They motivate them to be better. Good is not good enough. Your never good enough. There is always something. something! You can do better. Theres always something to critique because nobody is perfect ,but you can try to be as close as possible. I don't believe they would get complacent because a strong ambitious trainer wouldn't allow it. They would be pushing them even harder as they got stronger. Getting comfortable would not happen. They would eventually reach that peak of performance. Evolution to their final form. It would take a lot of work ,but not impossible.

I buy my own games. Money isn't quite a problem. I got plenty

A strong ambitious trainer motivates them to be better. Like a gym coach and their students. They motivate them to be better. Good is not good enough. Your never good enough. There is always something. something! You can do better. Theres always something to critique because nobody is perfect ,but you can try to be as close as possible. I don't believe they would get complacent because a strong ambitious trainer wouldn't allow it. They would be pushing them even harder as they got stronger. Getting comfortable would not happen. They would eventually reach that peak of performance. Evolution to their final form. It would take a lot of work ,but not impossible.

Yea, that sounds a lot better.

Which is why (if and when I get around to it) is make an RP about college students having one of the Pokemon who need to be traded to evolve. I totally agree that if a Pokemon who needs to trade to evolve trains extensively, they'll evolve. No doubt about it. I give the option for people to evolve their Pokemon that need to be traded by having them train a lot.

I give this option to Pokemon with evolutionary stones. I like it when I make more options for others. It makes it better in my opinion and a lot less rigid to how it works in the games. Pokemon who train enough in a certain area for awhile may evolve to fit their surroundings a lot better (like hot areas for Vulpix to train themselves in how to control their internal flame sac and also train in fire and Psychic attacks to better fend themselves against other Fire-Types). Though, the evolutionary stones are basically stones filled with specific aura energy that radiates from it, causing an instant change that would normally take months to years to take place.

Having the option to fully train your Haunter so it evolves into Gengar would be amazing. Getting 252 EVs in two stats and then putting the leftover 6 EVs in other stats to have it evolve would be amazing, just as long as it leveled up.

Sadly, the first games wouldn't have been able to implement this since the space for the game's data was already so limited and they had to cut so many corners (which is why there are a ton of glitches), that doing this would be borderline impossible, if that. Plus, they had a different way on how EVs worked, and I believe they were called something else too.

EDIT: yes, they were called Stat Experience and had a much larger value and no cap for it. Each stat can reach a total of 65,535.... jeez

Vine whip should be a normal type move. First of all I wanna say I'm not saying they should change it to normal type move. I'm just saying the damage would realistically be normal type. Sure. Vine whip is something exclusive to grass types(I don't know if there are any non-grass types that can use it ,but that's besides the point) The reason I say vine whip would realistically deal normal type moves is because at the end of the day your only using those vines like whips. It would hurt a soft skinned pokémon like marill ,but it wouldn't hurt a rock pokémon like golem.

Flabébé, Floette, and Comfey can learn Vine Whip by Level-Up.

To be honest, the way the moves have types and how they are... some make sense while others don't.

What does make sense is my headcanon of it (or at least a theory).

My theory is that each attack has aura on it, no matter the attack. The Shadow Moves from the Colosseum and XD games shows that the Shadow Rush and other Shadow-Type attacks are corrupted attacks, attacks with the Shadow aura. Because of this, other attacks must follow the same basis. Grass aura is used for Grass-Type attacks, Fairy aura for Fairy-Type attacks, and Dark aura for Dark-Type attacks (further emphasized by the Fairy and Dark Aura Abilities, as well as Aura Break, by the XY Legendary Trio: Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde). Plus, aura is a very integral part in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, among other media.

This also explains why other Pokemon are the types they are when they so obviously need the other typing (like Golduck not being Psychic-Type). They have an affinity to certain types, while they are that type. Their aura is the basis of who they are, while also giving them the affinity (as well as their body biologically) to use certain moves. This also explains how Zoroark, a Pokemon unable to use any Fire-Type moves and has no organs to do so, can learn Flamethrower. They manifest their aura into Special attacks or they manifest their aura on a body part for Physical attacks. There are some attacks that don't need the aura (like Rock Throw or Tackle). These are rudimentary attacks that don't need the aura. Most Normal-Type attacks that aren't too strong don't need the aura. Moves like Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, and Trump Card use aura.

Otherwise, Vine Whip would indeed be a Normal-Type attack or do little damage.

That sounds like a plausible answer.

Reading this comment made me think of coliseum. Its funny. A lot of people want gen 4 remake and I'm over here thinking about a coliseum remake(that will more than likely never happen) Wes is one of my favorite protagonists. I had a lot of fun tavelling across the region of Orre.
GXWYVBaESQDbTJf-800x450-noPad.jpg

Jayblade

Previously AceTrainerGold
I really want Sinnoh remakes. Mainly because, despite my nostalgia I have for the games, diamond and pearl realistically aren’t great. Slow...everything and the completely unbalanced dex. Like seriously if you didn’t choose Chimchar you had one choice for a fire type, and that’s Ponyta. Not a bad Pokemon by any means but it sucks for people that just like using “new” Pokemon, the lack of fire types is also the reason why flint has a team where half aren’t fire type.

I have heard that Platinum fixes a lot of these issues, by adding a few more Pokemon and fixing the slowness of the game. But over here a copy of Platinum is very hard to come by, and when you do find one it’s like £60.

If they made gen 4 remake I would get piplup ,and have all steel type team. It would be glorious!

Hopefully when they do decide to make gen 4 remake hopefully they won't need a platinum remake as they can just add those features into the diamond and pearl game. They could probably throw giratina at the same spot you meet palkia/dialga except you won't be able to see giratina until after you beat the elite four.

Pokémon gen 4 remakes should make the resort areas easier to access of they don't decide to leave it out like they did with the battle frontier in gen 3 remake. I really hope they bring the full resort.

Jayblade

I’ll definitely go with Turtwig if we ever get them. An all ground type team would be great, since 3 of my favourite ground types are from sinnoh. And funnily enough Torterra is probably my favourite of the three (maybe tied with Infernape) but I’ve never really used one in a play through so it’ll be fun.

One thing that should be in the remakes is the battle frontier, cause I know they got that in platinum.

I really don't care for the battle frontier cause the prizes were overpriced ,and the 100 floor tower was impossible to win(to me it felt impossible) ,and the other towers give very little profit when you beat them which is why I say the prizes are overpriced. I never once got over 30bp ,and most of the good prizes cost more than that.

D

Deleted member 284192

I'd love sinnoh remakes too as I've never had a proper play through of the games. I think the remakes (Well I suppose also the main games) are in desperate need of proper post games like the battle frontier. I'm quite doubtful seeing how they literally teased you with the battle frontier in ORAS and the Let's Go post games weren't very impressive either.

What I've been more curious about is if they do Johto remakes first in the style of Let's Go. If that's the case, how much of the post content from HGSS would be cut? Would they even bring back Kanto as a second region to explore? I can already imagine Gamefreak saying something along the lines of "Since Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee is already on the Switch, we felt there was no reason to bring back the Kanto region in these games."

I've become a bit pessimistic about the current state of Pokemon games, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Jayblade

Yeah the post games within recent years have been very lacking. Sword and Shield barely have one, if you don’t count the dlcs, and even then you gotta pay for those. I just want them to make a game where they put as much effort into the post game as they did with HGSS. It’ll most likely never happen though that’s what I really want.

Pokémon isn't the only game ever to implement DLCs. Duh. I'm pretty sure we all knew that. The reason I brought this up is because some games like skyrim, when the DLCs first came out you had to pay for them ,but as years passed you got a legendary edition which gave you the DLCs along with the game. I wonder if when both the pokémon DLCs are released will they ever have a complete addition which comes with the DLCs. That would be sweet.

Atleast with a third version we were guaranteed the addition content that came along with the game without having to make online purchases. I know a lot of people if not most people don't mind online purchases ,but I don't want to make online purchases. If they do inevitably give the DLCs with a future complete addition it probably agree with you.

D

Deleted member 284192

I definitely prefer DLCs to third versions, especially in Sw/Sh's case where if we did get a Pokemon Gun, people would be paying another $60 to play through the same game to get to some new stuff at the end. Of course this new change to DLC doesn't excuse the fact that these games are pretty empty in terms of content outside of the main story. Can't say that I haven't gotten my money's worth though. I've had a great time doing raids with friends.

Jayblade

The isle of armour had quite a short story, but I also can say I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the whole dojo thing, even if it’s out of place in a region based on the uk. And I love all the old Pokemon that were brought back. The crown tundra looks like it will bring even more the the table though, and I can’t say I’m not excited.

D

Deleted member 284192

Yeah the Isle of Armor was fun, but I definitely agree that it doesn't really feel like it belongs with the rest of the region. I understand they wanted two different contrasting environments for the DLCs, but I really like a well designed and consistent region, and the isle throws that off.

D

Deleted member 284192

Ah yes, the post content in Gen 5 games. I loved the Ninbasa Musicals not just as fun minigames, but it I feel like it added so much to the culture of Unova. Same with the Pokestar Studios. I love that kind of stuff that develops the character of a region.

One of my favorite parts of the B/W post game has to be the abyssal ruins by Undella Town. We never figured out the mystery, but my friends and I were constantly exploring those ruins together when we hung out, speculating if there could be a legendary or something there. I remember we heard rumors that you could get Raquaza if you found a certain plate. Tbh I've still never bothered to look up what the ruins and plates are actually about.

Heartgold had the best post game content. Even if they completely forgot to make cinnabar island. I know the volcano exploded ,but they still could have done something there. They did cinnabar island dirty leaving it out like that... I digress though. It was great you got an entire second region to explore.

X and Y is up second in my opinion. That line of side quests? pretty cool! I feel so jipped when it comes to rewards. That girl got a cool battle suit ,and you did all the work!!!! what the hell?!?! Im gonna burn down every team flare building until they get my a cool suit!

Edit: I also really really like the ruins even if they don't have much in them. Ruins are da best!

Well now that someone mentioned X and Y... I'm gonna go out and say it...
X and Y is, in my opinion, the third worst game in the series.

The region felt generic, I can't think of any groundbreaking and awesome Pokemon that were added apart from the starters and the Honedge line (not even the legendaries), it's way too easy, the evil team are by far the worst of the series and the rivals are as flat as a soda that's been sitting in the fridge for 3 weeks straight.

I get why people would enjoy it, and I'd say because of the very low difficulty that X and Y is one of the best starting Pokemon games, but I cannot enjoy this one very much.

The only ones I dislike more are Let's Go! (feels way lazier than X and Y) and the original Red and Blue (a complete slog to play through).
You can tell I'm not a fan of Kanto.

D

Deleted member 284192

Now I've got some bias for Kanto games (Let's Go games? Yeah I don't care for them much). One of the best parts about that original region is the freedom to make it your own adventure which is something I would love for the new games to return to rather than the linearity that's been in the series since probably gen 3.

In Kanto once I beat Misty, I can go to the third gym, or I can grab the HM cut, move on to the rocky tunnels and beat the fourth gym. OR I can beat up Team Rocket get the sylph scope and get the poke flute from the lavender town tower to get past the Snorlax and go to the fifth gym. ORRR I can- okay you get the point.

I love the ability to explore the Kanto region however I want, at my own pace and it would be so cool to have this philosophy brought to the new games, kinda like what Breath of the Wild did for the Zelda series (probably not to that extent though). I don't want to get my hopes up but with the new addition of wild areas, this might even be a possibility assuming gen 9 abandons the controlled camera areas.\

Even if that never happens, the linearity never ruined the games as long as there were some areas to explore freely like the big desert from B/W or the massive oceans from R/S/E.

I like Malamar, barbaracle ,and you already know how much I like them fossils my dude.

Kanto was my first pokémon game so it holds a special place to me too.

Funny enough my first time going through the dark cave that leads to lavender town... I went through that with no flash... I bumped into every wall ,but 9 year old me did it...

Status
Not open for further replies.