• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Have you ever tried an only run?

What I mean by this is have you ever done a play through of a pokemon game. But you're only allowed to use one pokemon throughout the entire run. It's not like a nuzlock where if your only pokemon faints it dies and you are allowed to use other pokemon only for hm slaves. I have done one before. My very first one being when I was 11. I was playing pokemon white then I thought it would be fun if when I caught a Throh, from that point on i'd do an only run. I am also in the middle of one. A pikachu only run on y. I'm only at the 7th gym though.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I started one once! It was called Nothing but Bidoof, and it was a Bidoof-only run through Platinum. Because I was doing videos of it, it never really got too far – playing the game and then editing it down took a lot of time! I've been meaning to try it again... but I've been meaning to do it since 2012, so it hasn't gone very far. :p

I started one once! It was called Nothing but Bidoof, and it was a Bidoof-only run through Platinum. Because I was doing videos of it, it never really got too far – playing the game and then editing it down took a lot of time! I've been meaning to try it again... but I've been meaning to do it since 2012, so it hasn't gone very far. :p
I've seen many other people do a bidoof only run. I think I might try it. Although I don't want to erase my old platinum save (Team seen on trainer card)

I've only tried something of this nature once - I tried to do a run of Pearl using only Infernape. I got really lucky too, because said Infernape's Hidden Power type was Ice, so I had great coverage with just one Pokemon. The problem I found was that I ended up being so over leveled, Infernape hits pretty hard, and with that coverage, I ended up rather bored because of how easy it was. If I ever felt inclined to try something like this again I'd certainly try and choose something that's quite weak to keep things interesting (that Bidoof only run seems pretty interesting though).

I beat Heartgold with nothing but Feraligatr, back when I grinded to infinity for no reason. He was lv. 40 by the 4th gym leader and lv. 70-80 through the elite four and the champ.

...These days I involve myself in as few battles as I can to make the game as horrifyingly difficult as possible.

I've only tried something of this nature once - I tried to do a run of Pearl using only Infernape. I got really lucky too, because said Infernape's Hidden Power type was Ice, so I had great coverage with just one Pokemon. The problem I found was that I ended up being so over leveled, Infernape hits pretty hard, and with that coverage, I ended up rather bored because of how easy it was. If I ever felt inclined to try something like this again I'd certainly try and choose something that's quite weak to keep things interesting (that Bidoof only run seems pretty interesting though).
I beat Heartgold with nothing but Feraligatr, back when I grinded to infinity for no reason. He was lv. 40 by the 4th gym leader and lv. 70-80 through the elite four and the champ.

...These days I involve myself in as few battles as I can to make the game as horrifyingly difficult as possible.
You guys think being over leveled for that is bad? What about having a level 89 pikachu by the time you battle the 7th gym leader. Especially because you can cheese through x and y in about a week

You guys think being over leveled for that is bad? What about having a level 89 pikachu by the time you battle the 7th gym leader. Especially because you can cheese through x and y in about a week

Well yeah. It is bad. There's no challenge in it. No stakes, nothing to get excited about (especially if you've played through the story a million times already as I tend to do). You just end up going through the motions and its boring. Now maybe if you're the kind of person who enjoys being overpowered and steamrolling everything that's fine, but I personally find more gratification from having the odds stacked against you where every move counts and its a desperate struggle, because when you eventually overcome the challenge the feeling you get is so satisfying. You can't get that exact emotion from being overpowered.

Well yeah. It is bad. There's no challenge in it. No stakes, nothing to get excited about (especially if you've played through the story a million times already as I tend to do). You just end up going through the motions and its boring. Now maybe if you're the kind of person who enjoys being overpowered and steamrolling everything that's fine, but I personally find more gratification from having the odds stacked against you where every move counts and its a desperate struggle, because when you eventually overcome the challenge the feeling you get is so satisfying. You can't get that exact emotion from being overpowered.
Which is why I had the time of my life playing pokemon omega ruby hardcore randomizer. It's a real challenge with randomized pokemon, your rival having a primal kyogre by the time you battle him for the last time, and even making gym leaders have Legendarys (The wild pokemon and random trainers are randomized, the gym leaders and your rival aren't)

Which is why I had the time of my life playing pokemon omega ruby hardcore randomizer.
... I completely misunderstood what you meant didn't I? I thought you were saying that being stupidly overlevelled was a good thing, instead of that being stupidly overpowered in XY is worse than being overpowered in other games. Sorry about that, ignore me >>

... I completely misunderstood what you meant didn't I? I thought you were saying that being stupidly overlevelled was a good thing, instead of that being stupidly overpowered in XY is worse than being overpowered in other games. Sorry about that, ignore me >>
No I kinda contradicted myself. I said that being op was good when meaning to say it wasn't fun. I apologize

Never tried it until just last week. Running through my old Silver game with Totodile. But my main reason for doing it is because I've never taken Totodile before. (nope, not a typo :blush: ) People say you can steamroll the game with just that guy, so I figured why not try it.