• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Leaves and Their Shadows: A Naruto AU

Eimi had looked at her question at least a dozen times by now and she was bound to look at it even more than that. Math was not her best subject, but writing out every step she took did allow her to get to an answer she was satisfied with. However, she still needed 2 more questions. Thankfully, she knew how to get one more. The downside was that it was not the most silent approach, and the guards were bound to be on high alert after the disturbance just now.

=Nightshade=

Previously Night's Shadow
Shin bit her lip hard in concentration…. Not on the test, but on her insects. She recalled a third of them, the ones she’d sent to find the answer to her own question, and as answers flashed through her mind, the most prominent one revealed itself. Now all she had to do was rephrase it slightly so it looked like she hadn’t cheated. Well, if I take part of that guy’s answer, then continue with a different person’s answer…. Okay. She began scribbling down her semi-plagiarized response to the question. If we let Z = velocity of the enemy ninja, then… She didn’t understand a word of what she was writing, but if she used different letters for the variables maybe no one would notice.

In the meantime, the insect watching Clover returned with news that he had been a lucky bastard like usual and had accidentally procured someone else’s filled out paper. A few other insects in the area gathered at Sachi’s desk, the ones with his question’s most-oft-occurring answer communicating to the others. Shin, her own question completed, closed her eyes to better focus on directing her kikai. She hoped Sachi had the common sense to shield her insects from view as a few more at a time began to gather. Soon, a writhing mass of beetles covered about half his paper, and began to form themselves into a diagram, then moved off to the side for the boy to copy it. If the insects were noticed, they were instructed to scatter and reform in a few minutes.

I hope I did enough, Shin thought. This headache is killing me. Gotta save some energy for the rest of the exams.

Amaririsu Manto
Ninja Academy, Lecture Hall

Clovers little paper slip up could be called the perfect accident. Not only did Risu catch site of the answer to that question, she was able to confirm that both indiviaos had question 2. This, by extension, allowed her to figure out the seating pattern chosen to separate test-takers.
Now, Risu was sorry certain she knew who had what tests.

“So Hisato has question one…and Eimi had question two.”

After counting to her companions chairs, Risu concluded that she was close enough to risk passing Eimi another answer for confirmation.
The girl quickly used a piece of scrap paper off to the side to copy down the answer she’d obtained. Afterwards, she slipped a concealed senbon out from the neck-lining of her hoodie.

Slowly, quietly, the Archer-Nin made an effort to wrap the small sheet of paper around the senbon. After doing so, she dropped her hands to her side and ran them along the legs of her pants, as if she were getting the sweat off her hands.

“Fly true.”

She held her breath, positioned the senbon between her thumb and middle finger, and flicked it straight into the rubber lining along the bottom of Eimi’s shoe, where it would inevitably be noticed by the brash girl.

Sachi Nendo
Ninja Academy, Lecture Hall

“Careful guys- you can’t be seen.”

The Mud-Nin acted quickly; lowering giant head of dirty-red hair as to block the instructors view of his paper.
He took several moments to look out the diagram the insects had formed, before ushering them to scatter to the underside of the table as he quickly jotted down what he’d seen, in hopes of not forgetting anything before he was done.

“That…looks right. Here’s hoping…”

With one more small click of the tongue, Sachi confirmed that he was no longer in need of assistance so Shin’s bugs would return to her.

~Byukia Katzuke...~

Byukia's eyes widened as she looked down at the blacksmith with a look of complete utter disgust. She grabbed him by the collar. "When you get home from work today...! Your gonna do something real nice for your kids, your gonna tell them how much you love them, how much your greatful to have them in your life! Your gonna tuck them in, tell them everything is gonna be okay, but most imporantly" Byukia said now pulling the blacksmith closer as she gripped his collar tighter.

"your better make sure I don't find out your lying about those six kids! and give them a kiss good night, and tell them good morning when they wake up" Byukia's voice said softening up to her casual friendly tone. She grabbed the bindings around the blacksmith, breaking them before using a hand sign. Flower petals formed around her, and within moments, flower petals were the only sign Byukia was ever in the room.

Byukia stood outside as she began preparing to head to her next location. She didn't stick around, as she was in a hurry to get to her next destination.

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
(Stopped getting notifications so sorry-)

Hijiro Haru

Haru cleared his throat and looked at a black haired leaf genin and another genin who had spoke to each other. He shook his head silently, indicating that they should be talking.
Anxiety was creeping up on him. He had so much to watch. What if he missed something that was super obvious? He glanced at Sorano for half a second, but then remembered he had to keep a watchful eye on the genin.

Momo Yoshi
Yoshi actually started tapping along with Zeren. She smiled slightly. She remembered that back in the Academy several students would start tapping on things to make a beat and it would annoy the hell out of the teacher and a few other students.

Around the same time that Zeren got yelled at, a genin on her left cleared their throat. She stopped and chuckled silently. Just like the good ol’ days.

She leaned over her paper and glanced to the right, where Shin was seated. She wasn’t the smartest, but she definitely had a good way of cheating. Yoshi had seen a bug or two fly by. They must’ve been Shin’s. So it was most likely that she had all the answers, right?
She caught two or three words every time she quickly glanced over and began writing slowly.

Chishima Toko
Toko was going through several scenarios in his head. How could he cheat while being discreet? Heh, that rhymes—Focus!

The earth-user remembered that he had small pebbles in his pocket. He pulled one out and smirked. He had an idea.
He put his hand under the desk and threw the pebble at the person two seats away from him.

“Ow.” Said the genin. They elbowed the person in between them and Toko.
“What?” The other genin asked in a whisper.
“You threw a rock at me.”
“No I didn’t.”
While the two argued quietly, Toko snuck a peek at both their test papers. Granting him another question and the answer to it.

(Heyyy I got creative-ish lol.)

Eimi was patiently waiting for the prime opportunity to get a second answer as she rubbed her feet together and felt something on the side of her foot. Pretending to drop a pencil, she grabbed the pencil and the senbon in her shoe. Unwrapping the paper attached to it whilst covering the paper, she read the answer and wrote it down. This senbon had to be from Risu, she knew no one else with this kind of aim. Her aim was not quite as sharp, but she had quite the power behind her throws. Writing down the answer of her own question, she wrapped it around the senbon before faking a loud sneeze, sending the senbon flying towards Risu as all eyes were on her, allowing the senbon to hit the wall and roll towards Risu. You're welcome.

---------

Sorano looked across the room, taking mental notes on how often which ninja was caught cheating. Some were quite stealthy, others....not so much. In particular, a genin that was caught four times blatanly looking at the question of the person next to them. One more time and it would be the end for them and their team. She just hoped that the kid was smart enough not to risk it again.

Ugokasenai Keito, Konoha Jonin
Konoha Uchiha District, Underground
10 am

[ANBU File: Enhanced activity surrounding several of Orochimaru's known research labs in Konoha East, Central and Uchiha Districts within the past week; Surveillance suggests a complete clean-out is underway as of 0300 this morning. Likely that Orochimaru is moving his bases of operations out of Konoha; equally possible that Orochimaru is forming a military force, alongside his usual experiments. RESPONSE REQUEST: Infiltration and Apprehension of Suspects and Assets. REQUEST: Denied, by Seal of Shimura Danzo]

'Those two,' Keito thought, gritting his teeth, 'Lord Hokage has been trying to expose Orochimaru for a whole year, but every time he comes just short. And it feels like Lord Danzo has a role to play in it...Lord Danzo, who himself bends Lord Hokage's ear, day and night. I don't know what he wants to achieve in all this...'

After a year of anxiety surrounding the sannin Orochimaru and his apparent unrest with the Leaf, it seemed as though he had run out of patience; with over a month, still, until the Daimyo would arrive in Konoha to launch his inquiry, maybe the wannabe-Hokage was hedging his bets.

Lucky as Keito was, it seemed as a pair of his genin somehow fit into Orochimaru's schemes.

And although he'd searched for only an hour to that point, it looked as though ANBU's leads ran just a few hours too late. He'd been to labs in the East and Central Districts alike, and the third seemed to tell the same story: a dark, dank lab lit by dim lamps and dying candles, their wax mostly melty and reformed on the floor.

He found each room bare of all furnishings, with not even spare parts or excess left in the wake of moving out; even traces of chakra signatures seemed to have been erased, as the jonin had no indication that anyone had been in the underground lairs at all, aside from those lairs' existence to begin. Even the natural energy itself surrounding the area felt like a bear provoked and cornered in a cave.

Pushing on into the third, underground site, Keito was left to wonder how Danzo could even have the gall to deny the ANBU's request, given their reasonable suspicions. Some days it seemed not a single shinobi in Konoha wasn't aware that the sannin went...his own way with his research, and often went a little too far to go such a way. It felt as though the Leaf had missed a big chance in letting Orochimaru move from Konoha proper -- even if Danzo collaborated with the sannin, wouldn't he want to keep him on a short leash?

"Keep on your guard," Ubongado - one of Keito's many earthworm summons, , wrapped around the jonin's neck like a winter scarf - mentioned, and not for the first time, "It's almost-"

"Too clean," Keito nodded, breathing steadily, "I've been thinking that."

"Yeah, cuz I keep sayin' it!" Gado pointed out.

"I can't hear you," Keito said," I'm concentrating."

Nearly at the back-end of Orochimaru's abandoned lab, the restless jonin entered a wide room with a low ceiling, once again lit only with dying lamps and over-exerted candles. The walls, floor and ceiling all gave off the look of a room torn apart, then freshly repaired with matching haste and efficiency. Keito pegged it as the room with the most to hide out of any of the three sites, and it had but a single, narrow way in and out.

A knotted feeling in his stomach started to well up as the jonin moved to examine the room in full.

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
Nara Shikate
Choburu and Inopai had been telling the Nara that no one would find them. No one could possibly be here. But Shikate still looked through the door into the other room every once in a while, paranoid. He'd made the mistake of not keeping an eye out before. He didn't want it to happen again.

It was probably the seventh time he'd looked out into the other room, he'd memorized everything in there. It was quite clean, actually. Probably a little too clean for an abandoned place like this.
He suddenly heard a few words spoken by what sounded like an adult man. "Shoot." He whispered under his breath. Shikate stepped away from the door and went up to his comrades. "Someone's here. At least two rooms away."

What do you guys think of this?
"I say we get as close as possible and release the chakra suppression. We'll start off with my Shadow Strangle Jutsu. I'll signal for you to use your Mind-Body Swap Jutsu, Inopai. And if anything goes wrong, Choburu, just knock him out. But I want to talk to him a bit first."

He went through the door he constantly looked through, and went to the other side of the room. He peered through a second door to find a very tall shinobi male. He was most likely a jonin.
Shikate silently released the chakra suppression and used his Shadow Strangle Jutsu on the Leaf shinobi, hoping he didn't notice until it was too late.

(Hope I did well. @EnviousWorm @ThAtGuY101 @DarkHydraT)

Last edited:
~Hisato Glorious Gato...~

Hisato Gato sat there tapping his pencil to his desk. Hisato wasn't near either of his teammates so Hisato would have to think of a distraction to get people to look away from him. Hisato dropped his pencil on the floor. Hisato gave the ninja next to him a poke in the foot with his pencil who let out a yelp, "Oops, sorrry" Hisato said getting up and getting a brief glance at the paper as he looked at the boy yelp. The boy looked at Hisato angrily but returned to his Test. Now Hisato had question #1. Hisato would wait until another ninja cheated so the attention would briefly be on them. In that brief moment Hisato would use this tiny pocket of time to get question #3.

Question 1 was about the physics of a shuriken being thrown at a target uphill during a windy night, question

Hisato gave a detailed answer on the way to properly throw a shuriken as well as the brief history of shurikens and giving a relatively vague answer to the question.

third question was about a chunin laying a trap with 15 feet of wire, a firestarter and the ability to use Earth Style.

Much like his last question, Hisato added unnecessary detail that didn't answer the question as well as a vague answer that kinda answered the question.

~Inopai Yamanaka...~

Inopai stood ready to use her body swap jutsu assuming Shikate's shadow paralysis actually worked long enough for Inopai to hop into leaf shinobi's body then hopefully long enough for them to siphon chakrea from him and inopai place a shakra supressing technique on him. Luckily they also had Choburu with them in case their plan went south.

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
Hijiro Haru
The redheaded chunin scanned the room as thorough as possible. He’d taken points from 16 genin so far. He only saw a few of them get caught again.
Haru saw a black haired genin turn his head to the right a bit every once in a while. The two genin next to him were arguing quietly. He took two points from the leaf genin. Is he?…Chishima Takeo’s kid?—Well, it doesn’t matter. Focus on the exam. I can ask him after.

Chishima Toko
Toko felt the proctor’s eyes on him. Did he catch me? He stood still, staring blankly at his paper. If I get caught too many times, Eimi will surely beat me up…Hopefully Byukia-sensei won’t be too mad either. And Risu too. I don’t want to disappoint them.

Momo Yoshi
The kunoichi just smirked as she looked at her test paper. She found them quicker than she had expected. If she wasn’t seated next to Shin, she’d be hopeless. Let’s just hope Hisato and Zeren are doing well. I wish I could send them the questions but I don’t know how to…

(I tried. Hope I didn’t do anything stupid.)

Niko Hokori
Konaha Police HQ, Exterior

With most loose ends currently under surveillance, Niko deemed it time to move on with his series of investigations.

He quickly made his way over to the police station, where he was greeted by a young, male cadet who was put in charge of manning the door.

“H-hey, Niko! They’re expecting you inside. Don’t know what for.”

The young man gave the Hokori prodigy a small bow of respect as he spoke, clearly displaying some form of admiration.

“Kataru, you’re an officer now- and a Jonin. I’m no longer your superior.”

Niko replied warmly, giving the newly revealed Kataru a light pat at on the shoulder.
The young man tensed up during this interaction, finding it strange to see someone he viewed as a decorated Jonin calling him an equal.

“Thanks-s Niko, I’m trying to get used to it, but I’m just…not like th-the rest of you. All of those unique, powerful abilities coupled with your skill. I’m so worried about getting in the way…”

The conversation trailed off for a moment, with Niko eyeing Kataru from head-to-toe.
When he first met the young man a few years back, Niko was convinced the teen possessed a natural affinity for combat, and in the years following, he helped the young man with his training when he could.
After quietly thinking back on this for a moment, Niko finally spoke up.

“Kataru…do you know how much you’ve improved?”

The newby-officer clearly got more uncomfortable as he was questioned, genuinely uncertain how to answer.

“I mean, I think I’ve gotten-“

Kataru’s reply was cut short as Niko suddenly reeled his left arm back and threw a straight punch aimed right for the officers nose.

Wah-Psh!

Without even realizing it, Kataru had clamped down onto Niko’s wrist as the punch came sailing at him, causing the Hokori’s attack to instantly be brought to a halt.
Niko’s knuckles were only a hairs distance away from Kataru, but he cleanly blocked the attack nonetheless.

“…I think you’ve improved more than you realize. Have some faith in yourself. Later.”

And with that, the ROOT Jonin pulled his fist back, gave his companion a small smile, then slipped into the Police HQ.

“Now then…onto business.”

Sorano spotted a genin cheating for the fifth time and bumped Haru, signing the row and seat to him. "Row three, seat 11. Caught five times, remove them from the exam." The girl was fully capable of doing it herself, but she wanted to see how well Haru would do in a situation like this and it was a good excuse for her not to talk.

@Shikowara

----------

Eimi chewed on her pencil as she carefully listened. She had sent small rhythmic pulses through the air with her Kekkei Genkai to get her last question and answer, though it was liable to missing details. Thankfully, she had gotten the gist of the question and wrote it down. Hopefully it was good enough, as she had all three questions now. Risu was smart, she could figure this out, Toko was a different story though. She hoped that the boy managed to pass the exam, because otherwise her whole team would fail. That was the sole reason, nothing else.

-------

Chōburo listened to his teammates and stroked his goatee, this was unexpected. Still, it was three against one by the sounds of it. With the teamwork they possessed, they could face any opponent and win. Plus, it had been a while since he could beat someone up. Grinning to himself, he got in position.

Last edited:

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
Hijiro Haru, Lecture Hall
Haru felt a bump from Sorano and looked over. She signed where a cheater was. Haru looked in the direction of the genin. He took a deep breath before taking a kunai knife out of his pouch and throwing it at the genin’s test paper. The genin jumped and looked up at Haru. “Caught cheating five times. Out.”
Two other genin, who must have been the genin’s teammates, looked annoyed as they all left.

He looked back at Sorano before continuing to look around for more cheaters. Surprisingly, a lot of the genin managed to escape being caught so far. He smiled slightly, impressed.

(@DarkHydraT)

Chishima Toko and Momo Yoshi, Lecture Hall
Toko was too scared to move. He was freaking out on the inside. They just eliminated someone a few seats away from him.

Yoshi noticed Toko not moving. Is he okay? She wondered. I kinda want to help him. But that’s probably not the best idea… She sighed quietly.

The noirette rested his head on the desk. He didn’t know what to do. Right before he set his head down, he looked Eimi, who he could barely see because of all the other genin. She probably has all the questions now. She won’t help me, though… He sat there, contemplating what to do next.

=Nightshade=

Previously Night's Shadow
Shin
Shin finished scribbling down her teammates’ answers in nigh-unreadable handwriting, her insects returning to her body. She was satisfied with the team’s performance and felt confident in their prospect of advancement to the next round. She made a mental note to herself to take a break from her life-threatening “fun” for a day or so, give her insects a reward for their help in the exam.

Kirie
“Uriah Kin. You’re done,” Kirie said, pointing with her pen towards the door. The offender stood and sulkily stomped out of the room, making sure to slam the door on his way out. “Shishida Rikoku. You too.” Her vibrant blue eyes flicked to a turquoise-haired kunoichi and she gestured with her pen again. Shishida bowed slightly, then left with a flip of her hair. Kirie looked down at her clipboard, double-checking the plane of crosses and slashes, then going back to survey the rapidly shrinking crowd of genin. She made another notch beside another genin’s name.

Last edited:
Byukia made her way to the Firebelly Bar. The lights were off and the place was closed. In her heart she knew this would be the case as it was always closed this early. Byukia looked as if someone had truly hurt her feelings. Being the bigger person Byukia turned around and left. No tears. Byukia was a fighter, and would not let this get her down. It was time for plan B. Byukia showed up at the Hedo Wan's house.

Before Byukia approached the house, she had already examined it from a safe distance to see if there were any places she could sneak in or out if the owner didn't answer the front door.

Byukia put on her happy cheerful face before approaching the door. She knocked on the door three times before casually waiting a answer.

Fugaku Uchiha, Police Captain
Uchiha Police HQ, Interior.
10am.

Nearly the instant Niko set foot into the building, he found himself caught amidst the palpable tension of the simmering Uchiha clan, as well as the unlucky ROOT shinobi tasked with keeping an eye on the masters of visual arts. Captain Fugaku Uchiha stood in the center of the room - his feet just above the lingering Uchiha crest emblazoned on the floor - seemed to address two different groups of police at a single time; he barked sharp, snapping directions one way while his hands to sign silent, but still almost seething, to direct the second group. From what the jonin could gather, Fugaku was displeased with lackadaisical patrols, bare-bones reports and careless investigations. Almost every policeman in the room - Uchiha or ROOT - was on the captain's shit-list that morning.

"You must be Hokori," Fugaku called out to Niko by his clan name the second he'd finished his morning admonishment, his arms ever-crossed in a guarded display of mistrust. "I hope Lord Danzo finally sent someone who's ready to work; not just keep an eye on me."

Niko could tell how much the ROOT shinobi in the room palpably disliked the captain. Some seemed frustrated that Fugaku had sniffed out their intentions; others seemed almost hurt -- like they enjoyed the work, and resented the captain for finding them lacking.

Wan Hedo, Mixologist
Wan Residence, Interior.
10am.

The jonin kunoichi hadn't been far off in her timing; when Hedo answered the door, it looked as though he were on his way out, a key-set swinging around in his hands as the chaos of a family morning kicked off behind him; a red-headed wife struggling to keep up with a rambunctious pair of twins -- one with red hair like hers, another with a chestnut-brown, like the father Byukia had arrived to...ask questions. Hedo held a cup of coffee - made up to be taken on the road - in his free hand.

"Hi," He said, noticing the headband. "Can I help you?"

Ugokasenai Keito, Konoha Jonin
Uchiha District, Underground Lair, Int.
10am.

'Three of them, right behind me.' Keito could feel them, so close to his position they might as well have been bringing him in for a group hug.

Bwooroheeeeee-

In a room of mostly shadow - the candles on the walls and in the middle of the room designed for such a Nara dream scenario - Keito didn't have anywhere to go. Though he had enough time to move out of the way, his options were even less limited than his movement. A quick escape was possible, surely. But he'd only just gotten started.

While the shadows crept up his legs and toward his hips, Keito's body gave way to a horrific-sounding squirming of a thousand, tiny bodies. The jonin's true flesh-and-blood fell out from behind the Keito-like shell of earthworms now trapped by Shikate's shadow strangle. Now, Keito figured, if his attacker tried to switch targets back to the real him, then the Worm Clone would have free range of movement. And he preferred a 2-on-3 to a 1-on-3.

"What's ROOT doing here?" Keito questioned the trio, though at the moment he could see only the Nara. At least, he assumed them to be ROOT. This didn't seem to be the work of Lord Fourth's ANBU. While he spoke, he formed and held the Snake seal in front of him. "I'm here on orders from the Fourth and Lord Danzo themselves."

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
Nara Shikate, Underground Lair
Shikate was a little startled that the person he had strangled wasn’t the real Jonin. Of course he noticed…It’s Ugokasenai Keito…

“I’m not obliged to answer.” He told Keito, still holding onto the clone. He felt trapped. He tried to think of a plan as quick as possible. He didn’t want to let go of the clone, just in case it attacked.

So, this is Lord Minato’s doing. Of course…He’d take any sliver of information that could be hidden in here. He’s a very smart man. And he sent Keito too. I heard he’s quite observant. Having someone so observant to fight wasn’t what he was hoping for.
“What’re you doing here?” He asked, glancing at Keito’s hands for a second, then looking back at his brown eyes. If he moves again, I’ll signal for Inopai and Choburu to attack.

(Added one of my favorite Sasuke quotes in there for fun. Anyways… @EnviousWorm @DarkHydraT @ThAtGuY101)

Niko Hokori
Konaha Police HQ, Interior

By the time Captain Fugaku had called out to Niko, the young man’s demeanor had already shifted back to that of an emotionless and analytical ROOT agent.
He tried not to acknowledge the excess of negative tension in the room, keeping his eyes solely locked on the Captains.

“I can assure you I’m capable of both, Captain. I posses extreme multitasking capabilities. What can I assist you with first?”

As he finished his statement, he gave Fugaku a small bow of respect, then stood at rest; awaiting further orders.
During all of this, his face remained as expressionless as ever, giving no sign of arrogance or confidence. It didn’t matter if the Captain took him seriously at the start- Niko would show him why he the known as the prodigy of the Hokori Clan.

~Byukia Katzuke...~

"Hiya! So adorable!" Byukia said looking at the twins.

Her attention turned towards the father with a slightly more serious tone.

"Hello, I have some questions I'd like to ask involving an investigation. Perhaps this isn't something you want the little ones to hear?" Byukia said.

~Hisato Gato of Team Twelve Golden, Baby...~

Hisato sat at his desk feeling rather smug about the written test. No doubt he believed himself to have passed and then some with his well thought out explained answers. Hisato was so pleased with his answering of the questions that he had half a nerve to give himself a pat on the back.

Last edited: