• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mafia V: Day One (April 25th-27th): Strangers In The Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Mafia V: Day One (25th-27th April): Strangers In The Nig

Heh. Maybe I'm just tired, but I honestly can't see any clear evidence yet of who may even potentially be Mafia. Too many times have outspoken members been lynched simply because they talked a bit too much, only to be revealed as innocent. It's also hard to judge who's trying to steer the game in their favour until a pattern starts emerging thanks to odd or bad calls. But then as you guys already mentioned, some players will purposely play a risky game to cast such obvious suspicion on themselves that we assume they're truly innocent, only in reality they actually are guilty. (Hello, Sem! ;D)

Jokes and silly accusations aside, I honestly couldn't make a sound call at this point to vote someone off the island. I dunno, I fully understand why people want to lynch someone today, but I've never felt that it's necessarily the right way to go - especially when there's more chance to miss.

Linkachu said:
Jokes and silly accusations aside, I honestly couldn't make a sound call at this point to vote someone off the island. I dunno, I fully understand why people want to lynch someone today, but I've never felt that it's necessarily the right way to go - especially when there's more chance to miss.

You do realise there is no abstaining this round, just incase you didn't know

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Rileyixx said:
You do realise there is no abstaining this round, just incase you didn't know

:'|

Ignore everything I just said. :8B:

Edit: Wait, I've asked around the chat and nobody recalls Petey saying directly that we can't. His opening statement for this day could be left up to interpretation, and the main rules thread says nothing about us not being able to abstain today.

Did he state in the Charms chat directly that we can't, or is this all a misunderstanding and we actually can abstain today? If anyone knows, answers are appreciated!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member

NidoRich said:
Rileyixx said:
I would also say Dem was particularly quiet tonight but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt with her journalism but just a slight suspicion

Ok, I would just say that Dem is always busy so I wouldn't count it as suspicious yet. That being said I have had a talk with her about mafia so just strike up a conversation with her and I'm sure she will talk ;)

This is worse then normally as I'm pretty much dead on my feet, been none stop today. Just ask anyone that knows me closely. xD

Really, I'm just keeping a close eye on Red, and Shiny for now. Both for different reasons but Red mostly because he seems to be the most outspoken so far, which can either be him hoping to help the village, or mafia trying to gain control of the game.

Demelza said:
NidoRich said:
Rileyixx said:
I would also say Dem was particularly quiet tonight but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt with her journalism but just a slight suspicion

Ok, I would just say that Dem is always busy so I wouldn't count it as suspicious yet. That being said I have had a talk with her about mafia so just strike up a conversation with her and I'm sure she will talk ;)

This is worse then normally as I'm pretty much dead on my feet, been none stop today. Just ask anyone that knows me closely. xD

Really, I'm just keeping a close eye on Red, and Shiny for now. Both for different reasons but Red mostly because he seems to be the most outspoken so far, which can either be him hoping to help the village, or mafia trying to gain control of the game.

Dem should get off her feet then and go rest :)

Well being outspoken doesn't indicate you are mafia, look at me in the last game.....I tried to assert myself at the top and got lynched as a result. I think it just depends if people are trustworthy enough to let people speak their mind :arr:

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion

NidoRich said:
Well being outspoken doesn't indicate you are mafia, look at me in the last game.....I tried to assert myself at the top and got lynched as a result. I think it just depends if people are trustworthy enough to let people speak their mind :arr:
I completely agree with this statement. Just because i say what I think is suspicious doesn't make me mafia. There are people that are far more suspicious than me (*cough, Shiny with her screenshots, cough*).

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

OKAY, that was back in Game 2. D: I honestly don't see why you're so suspicious of me, Dway. I mean, I admitted that I used a lot of rule bending and breaking to make sure things went my way back then, but I'm not doing anything of the sort this game.

And when I said taking a screenshot in chat earlier today, I meant that to show everyone how saying the word "lynch" set off my alarm, but saying "mafia" didn't, because part of my name, Lyn, is in the word lynch.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion

... and I was just pointing out that I'm not the only one being paranoid. I didn't accuse you directly of anything that time. Plus I'm not the only one who's suspicious of you anymore. But I realize that the word lynch could set off your alarm because of your name. :3

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

You pointed out that I was suspicious, and thus, I felt that as I was under attack of another accusation from you, I had to defend myself. Thus, I responded as such. ^^;

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion

Shiny Eevee said:
You pointed out that I was suspicious, and thus, I felt that as I was under attack of another accusation from you, I had to defend myself. Thus, I responded as such. ^^;
I meant in the 'suspicious of others' sense that time... and apparently leaping at shadows isn't considered as a good thing to other people in this game. ;3 But I don't want to end up being patronizing either ~

Well this went by quickly. Stupid school not letting me post often.. :@
Anyways going through the posts I think there are a lot of crazy people. some of them being Shocari and Shiny.. but I'm sure there are a few others that I've missed. I didnt really spend to much time trying to catch up on things. But anyways this is my two cents for the moment. I'll try and figure stuff out after my head has cooled off from school. It is currently mush.. :?

Rileyixx said:
I'm suspicious of Brendan more than anyone at the moment just due to him being overall pretty quiet, even while he was in chat he was pretty quiet

That's because I was asleep D:<

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

I cast off my identity
And make the fatal plunge
-Sylvia Plath

I'll make a good post now. Or as good of one as I can get.

I believe that Sho and Dway are somehow teamed up with each other, be it mafia family ties or "cahoots" or something. It's just that they're always on the same wavelength, especially when it comes to concerning me. Dway herself is acting a mighty lot like she did in the first game, when she was mafia then; perhaps it's just that this is her usual personality, but her conversations with Sho heavily remind me of her dialogue with Red when she was accused that game.

As for Red, I can't say I'm not suspicious of him myself. He's been mafia in two previous games, and should know by now how to hide himself. He's accused several people already himself: Carmen, Sho, and Dway. However, I also noticed that he heavily mentioned the detective's role in one of his earlier posts. Could it be that he's detective himself? Or is he trying to make people like me, easily convinced of everything, that he's what he's really not?

Brendan, too, I want to draw attention to. I've caught him on several times now, looking through the forums and this very mini mafia forum throughout the day on the "who is online" page. He's only replied like, twice. He's usually one of the more outspoken-ish ones, and I feel like he's hiding something.

So let's lynch. I'll cast my vote, because I know most people would be too scared of drawing attention to themselves by casting the first vote. I've already done enough of that now.

Lynch Dwayna.

Shiny, Shiny, Shiny.

You know for a fact I would try to not repeat any actions that Mafia members have made in the past, and what Dway and Red did in Game 1 would be completely against my wishes. I'm not going to side with anyone, not unless there's evidence that they are being wrongly accused.

While me and Dway might be on the same wavelength, we've been accusing each other so far, so any "Mafia ties" would have to boil down to either we're both on different Mafia families or we're both a townsperson and are convinced that the other is Mafia.

That being said, I find both you and Dway have been equally suspicious...or close to it. But that's it. Just suspicious. I still have no grounds to really accuse either one of you. However, I find your bloodlust to be a bit disturbing, and I'm going to go with your earlier statement of "watching those who posted first."

And since you my dear have taken the liberty to be the first lyncher, with less-than-stellar reasoning, I'm going to have to vote to lynch Shiny. As much as I enjoy the chaos that evolves throughout the game, I just won't stand for someone lynching someone unjustly.~

And that totally wasn't a hypocritical statement. Totally not.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion

Even though I might not have had the best reasons to begin with, I think Shiny has been suspicious ever since I accused her the first time. The statements she has said seem very off-putting to me as far, and no I'm not just saying this because she has voted for me.

Frankly I find what Sho has to say about me very patronizing - so I'm a little paranoid and I may be acting paranoid, but that's how I get to be in games like this, irregardless of my role. I can't help some of it but I'm trying to improve my play style this time around.

I'm voting for Shiny. Despite my misgivings with Sho at the moment.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

How have you people posted so much already?! Augh! This'll take all day to catch up with.

Yoshimitsu said:
How have you people posted so much already?! Augh! This'll take all day to catch up with.

This.

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that those who keep silent, are the most suspicious- I've kept silent until now because I was asleep, and you guys have been posting like maniacs overnight! 's a nice change of pace~

I'm finding it quite hard to filter out any real suspicions from all the previous post, but after a good bit of reading and re-reading, I'm willing to go with the general consensus of lynching Shiny. Although I'm also a bit suspicious of NidoRich.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Dark Soul said:
Yoshimitsu said:

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that those who keep silent, are the most suspicious- I've kept silent until now because I was asleep, and you guys have been posting like maniacs overnight!

^This. In fact, if I hadn't been up this early for uni, I doubt I would've realised this day had started until about 5pm. I was away from my laptop all night last night (the not-boyfriend was watching football on it).

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator

My, my. So much posting and so much bloodlust. On the first day, too! And here I thought you all would never learn.

I'm not accusing anyone at this point, just trying to shine some light on people other than Shiny, who is innocent anyway, which is plain to see. I do want to point out this flaw in Sho's logic:

Shocari said:
While me and Dway might be on the same wavelength, we've been accusing each other so far,

I don't see how that's relevant. It's good cover for members of the same family to seem at odds with the other. It also doesn't look good that they both went for Shiny so readily when she accused them both, despite them still having "misgivings" with each other ;) So suddenly too! Not even waiting for the rest of the cast to make their first posts~ This day isn't over till Friday, people.

And Sho's reason for lynching Shiny is just silly. Her bloodlust? Bloodlust? In this game? Seriously now. There's lots of people here you could lynch on those grounds, myself very much included. It's also hypocritical, as he mentioned. As I said above, this isn't over till Friday, so picking Shiny so soon seems a bit trigger-happy to me.

Not that I'm accusing either of you - it's just something for others to think about ;D The people with the biggest, flashiest posts will control the game if you let them - disregard this big, flashy post of mine btw - I'm more known for shorter posts that drip with venom and hate. Don't just listen to big posts that make it seem people know what they're talking about. Except me - I know what I'm talking about.

Also remember that an individual mafia family doesn't have anything to lose if they gain control of the day-vote: either a townie or rival mafioso will get knocked off. Win/win for them. That means they're less reserved about just throwing people under the bus because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I suppose it's very obvious that I'm suspicious of Dway and Sho, but I won't accuse either of them just yet. (And if I'm dead in the morning you know they're totes mafia.)

And now here's where I watch the rest of you be suspicious of me because I defended Shiny. No, wait, remember how in all the other games I've wanted to see everyone dead no matter whose side I was on? Yeah, I'm still that way =)

Lynch Shiny all you like, it'll just make you all look bad when we find she's innocent~

Also, lynch Katie. She's a scheming whore whose popularity allows her to manipulate you to do anything.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

Sem said:
Also, lynch Katie. She's a scheming whore whose popularity allows her to manipulate you to do anything.

This. Well, minus the "scheming whore" part, but yeah.

Also Sem, let's give everyone a bit more credit than that you did. If a Mafia does an obvious kill like that (and people buy into it) then they all deserve the swift deaths that are coming their respective ways for just being bad at this game.

Having been on that side of the fence two out of three times previously I've come to understand the Mafia logic, and you don't kill those that accuse you in the day. You break their fingers so they can't type, those freaking rats! D:<

For now I'm going to continue to sit back and see how things develop before voting. (After my massive outburst earlier :p)

Edit:
Dark Soul said:
I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that those who keep silent, are the most suspicious- I've kept silent until now because I was asleep, and you guys have been posting like maniacs overnight! 's a nice change of pace~
Just wanted to clarify about the quiet thing, seeing as it was derived from my post originally. The example I was talking about was not first Day or even Day Two. That was during Day Four that I noticed how quiet Carmen was and most people's alignments had been expressed in some capacity. She wasn't giving much away one way or the other in her posts and I looked at percentages and guessed her role. It wasn't "you don't post?! You're clearly Mafia!". It was a whole lot more than that, so on the very first day of the game you cannot use that as proof for somebody's guilt, people. Grasping at straws.

Now, that did technically work in the first game, as Toru had to stop playing but won on the mafia. :x

Looking at the maths behind this. 2 families would equal about 8 Mafia add the usual 6 special roles and we have 6 townies which seems a bit small to me so I'm assuming the Underboss role and the Double Agent role are in play to make the Mafia and regular townies ratio even.

Aside that I don't have too much to go on other than Sho is trigger-happy, Shiny is gaining unnecessary attention, Dwayna is a little paranoid and remembering back Brendan did go to sleep so unless I vote for trigger-happiness or paranoia it going to have to be a draw from the hat.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Sem said:

Says the guy who causes the most deaths - nor cares about who dies - regardless of what side he's playing for. You're a fine one to talk when it comes to scheming, popularity, or being a whore. ;D

But Sem battering aside, I guess figuring out whether we can abstain or not doesn't matter much if a bandwagon has already started. I honestly don't think Shiny is Mafia, she just seems excited to be playing again and uber paranoid. If anything, something that Sem said re: Dway and Sho has caught my interest much more because I'd been thinking the exact same thing:

I don't see how that's relevant. It's good cover for members of the same family to seem at odds with the other. It also doesn't look good that they both went for Shiny so readily when she accused them both, despite them still having "misgivings" with each other ;) So suddenly too!

This. :x

Even if they aren't both Mafia buddies, the Couple role could be included in this game.

Teapot said:
Please report to the Town Hall as soon as possible for your compulsory lynching discussions.

I'm pretty sure this answers your question (although the discussions bit is making me think not) and I'm also fairly sure Petey said no abstaining in the chat aswell

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Rileyixx said:
Teapot said:
Please report to the Town Hall as soon as possible for your compulsory lynching discussions.

I'm pretty sure this answers your question (although the discussions bit is making me think not) and I'm also fairly sure Petey said no abstaining in the chat aswell

Like I said, considering the rules sticky, that could still be left to interpretation unless Petey said it directly somewhere else. I just want clarification. XD

But if Petey said it in chat, that's that.

Because no-one else recalls it being said I think messaging Petey would be best just to be sure :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Aye. Will do. ^^

I'm going to have to vote now due to having no internet access for the majority of today until Saturday (going to stop at my Grandma's for a few days ¬.¬ And she is a technophobe)

So my draw from the hat was Josh so lynch Josh

STOP THE PRESSES

I HAVE RECEIVED INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE THAT SAYS WE MUST LYNCH SEM

STOP THE TYRANNY AND SAVE OUR SHIP

Hi everyone I mostly just skimmed through the posts and actually have absolutely no evidence but it's okay because it's all sem's fault yes

Come on you know you want to ♥ But in all honesty I don't see much point in making random logic arguments when there is nothing to base your logic on! Of course you can just ignore me and keep voting shiny! I'm just doing what my heart wants ♥

*Luckii enters, looking rather confused and a bit pissed

HOW IN ARCEUS' NAME DID WE GET SO MANY POSTS ALREADY?!

Anyway, I have delved deep into the RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF POSTS, and, as I see it, we have no clear-cut bad guy yet, although I have my eye on a couple, mainly those whom have contributed the most.

Dway, Shocari, Shiny and Nidorich, I have my well-trained eyes on you.

Lynch Sem

We can't afford him being Mafia plus he is a spiteful hoe

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator

Linkachu said:
Edit: Wait, I've asked around the chat and nobody recalls Petey saying directly that we can't. His opening statement for this day could be left up to interpretation, and the main rules thread says nothing about us not being able to abstain today.

Did he state in the Charms chat directly that we can't, or is this all a misunderstanding and we actually can abstain today? If anyone knows, answers are appreciated!
I did not, abstaining is still allowed.

[/hasn'treadtherestofthethreadyet]
Incidentally, you should lynch Sem. Not for any tangible reason, just because he's a whore and deserves it. ;D
ETA:

Rileyixx said:
Teapot said:
You missed the third word, fool. Compulsory lynching discussions.

As a final note, anything I say (or don't say) in the rules should take precedence over flavour text, unless I specifically highlight it as a changed rule (usually in bold). Secondly, phpBB doesn't send PM contents in e-mails and 'Charms is blocked at college, so I had to wait until now due to both of the above to see the problem. Sorry for the confusion, folks :)

P.S. 72 posts! You people are insane!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Thanks Petey. :)

(I'd write something more indepth concerning the discussion but I'm both a. currently at work, and b. laughing too hard at some of these lynch Sem posts.)

I can see a lot of interesting things here, but Sem surprises me the most I have to admit. You went two steps out of your usual way to actively defend Shiny, despite the slowly stacking odds. A very bold move so early in the game. What puzzles me though, is why would you do it? That claim is probably going to come back to haunt you What evidence do you have that would support her as being innocent? Sho's reasoning against may be flabby, and you pointed that out. But that doesn't automatically make Shiny innocent. What separates Shiny from the normal folk as being less suspicious than everyone else, because she has been acting pretty suspicious so far.

In the meantime though, I'll cast my vote in for Shocari. I sure hope this doesn't get me killed tonight.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

I don't really have any reason to be suspicious of anyone (apart from Katie lololol). I don't really buy any of the arguments so far from anyone and I don't want to prematurely kill off innocents or risk hitting someone like the Doctor or the Detective. I'll abstain for today and see what happens overnight, I think.

I can't even cast a vote for Sem in good faith...as suspicous as I am of Shiny, Sho is giving me more reasons to vote for him (i.e. going after Shiny for bad reasons).

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

Rileyixx said:
Looking at the maths behind this. 2 families would equal about 8 Mafia add the usual 6 special roles and we have 6 townies which seems a bit small to me so I'm assuming the Underboss role and the Double Agent role are in play to make the Mafia and regular townies ratio even.

I disagree with that math. Though there are two families this round, there could easily be five or six mafia this game if we keep with the 25~30% range of mafioso that's occured in previous games, meaning three people per family. 8 mafia would bring that percentage up to a wowing 40%, which is... frightening, to say the least. Accidentally kill four townies, bam, there's an even number of mafia and townies, and that would mean game over in two days.

Yes, from previous games, mob boss/underboss was considered part of the mafia count, as was the double agent. As seen with Dem's sad demise last game, even if you end up rooting for the townies, in the end, double agent has to die in order for the game to truly end.

My two cents, since I wont be able to post mch more this evening, and school disallowed me from participating in the discussions earlier today.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator

Hey, Joshawott. Only my closest friends can call me things like hoe and wench >=(

Also, my only real reason for my thinking that Shiny is innocent is that when I read her posts they don't come off as suspicious to me. This is the first time she's been allowed to play in like almost a year due to her going crazy.

She's pretty excited and wants to get into it. Is she talking too much? Maybe. But that's how her posts come off to me, not zomgsuspicious.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

This came up in chat earlier, so I wanted to ask:

If the highest number of votes went to abstain, yet there are still votes casted to lynch someone, would that mean nothing happens that day, or the person who has the highest number of votes get lynched off?

I feel like this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the answer if it has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.