• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mega Evolutions to return in Generation X and later mainline video games?

Do you think that Mega Evolutions will be back in gen x main series video games?

• Total voters
Yo! Hey, what’s happening with you guys? I’m just wanting to know if you think that Mega Evolutions will make their comeback as Generation X and later mainline video games? Why? Please let me know, thanks.;)

I wish, but probably not. If Mega evolutions haven't returned by now, they probably won't. I don't think we'll be getting a new Pokémon game for a while yet. Still, anything can happen.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Somehow I very much doubt it.

Mega Evolutions had a very big problem, which was this – only a fairly small number of species has Mega Evolutions - and while digivolving Pokémon certainly breathed new life into some particular species that genuinely needed a boost (indeed, the loss of the likes of Mega Mawile and Mega Beedrill is still, frankly, woefully lamented.... and the loss of the horribly-broken-at-the-time Mega Kangaskhan was celebrated by certain meta crowds but that's neither here nor there), it was still an exclusive gimmick that only applied to a few lucky Pokémon rather than to all of them.

Note the recurring theme of all gimmicks since Mega Evolution: Z-moves, Dynamax/Gigantamax, Terastalization. What do they all have in common? Every single Pokémon, regardless of its level or state of evolution or belonging to a special line or not can use them as a baseline. Of course, every one of these gimmicks has its few special moves or forms that only apply to a few species – but that's on top of the basic gimmick usable by every Pokémon.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely miss certain mega evolutions – but I strongly suspect that Gen X, whenever it happens, will have a whole new pointless rule-of-cool gimmick, the current gimmick will be consigned to history with other previous generation gimmicks, and Megas will probably only rear their heads again when Kalos gets a remake... which is a terrifying thought in and of itself. >>;

I don't know if I'm just biased, but I love Mega Evolution and really hope it gets more love in a potential Kalos remake.

I get that not a whole lot of pokemon HAVE megas, but I think that they could be expanded upon. One thing that confused and frustrated me is that the starters in ORAS got megas, but the ones in XY didn't.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know if I'm just biased, but I love Mega Evolution and really hope it gets more love in a potential Kalos remake.

I get that not a whole lot of pokemon HAVE megas, but I think that they could be expanded upon. One thing that confused and frustrated me is that the starters in ORAS got megas, but the ones in XY didn't.

The Kalos starters generally got a flagrant amount of disrespect. Despite having the fairly cool idea of being modeled after classic RPG archetypes (Fighter, Mage and Rogue) they end up being somewhat lackluster and very shortly after you get them, the game immediately overshadows them by also giving you a Kanto starter with a mega stone already baked into the deal for some damned reason (nostalgia-pandering and Charizard favoritism with how the damned thing got two of them, thanks, Gamefreak >>) – to say nothing of the Free Mega Lucario they just shove into your hands as a tutorial for digivolving Pokémon just as an additional insult to the Kalos starters made to play second fiddle in their own damned region. (Okay, Greninja became a runaway success becuase Japan loves its disco ninja frogs, but who knows if they had planned for that >>)

I suspect the OR/AS thing happened because they already made a Mega Blaziken all the way back in XY (it was handed out as an event 'mon at the time and was briefly featured in the anime) and they felt compelled to complete the set – if only to attempt to generate some goodwill about not being completely favoritism-driven. The mega evolution progression for the starters feels a lot more natural in OR/AS too... or it would have been, if the game didn't decide to also just hand you a fucking Mega Lati@s around the same general point in time. Twelve on a Tricycle, OR/AS is a wreck. But at least Sceptile got a giant upgrade out of that particular fiasco, I guess.

Definitely curious to see if we're going to get any new mega evolutions in Z-A or what sort of role they're going to play in the damned thing anyway. Give me my Mega Mawile back you cowards.