• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Sword & Shield Trailers Reveal New Pokémon and Features

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Camping artwork.png

Earlier this evening the latest Nintendo Direct aired, sharing a host of information for upcoming Nintendo Switch games, services, and DLC. The Direct also featured a few pieces of information for Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, such as new Pokémon, in-depth character customization options, camping and curry cooking features (which are clearly Pokémon Refresh replacements).

Following the Nintendo Direct, a new official trailer for Sword & Shield was also dropped and confirmed yet another feature: League Cards. Further still, the equivalent Japanese trailer showed off a replacement for Wonder Trade, known as Surprise Trade. This appears to be very similar to Wonder Trade but allows you to set-up random trades - both online and via local wireless - while you continue playing your game.

Take a look!

Last edited:
I wish we got more in this trailer but I loved what we did get (though I was more hyped by the official Pokémon trailers than I by the direct segment). The trainer customization is perfect and the animations for the cutscenes, the idle movements, the camp, & the curry game are all amazing. This is definitely the most lively & expressive Pokémon game I’ve ever seen. It even puts the full scale models from Gen 6 & 7 that everyone uses to make those dance videos to shame.

Oh, & one minor thing: I’m glad it’s just called curry & not Poké-curry

Last edited:
Im not exactly sure if cooking is going to be that great. I dunno why, its just a feeling. Im going to make a list of all the pokemon species that have been shown in the ads.....

TheStargazer

Previously LunaLuma
I saw lampent is in the japenese trailer which means that Chandelure is in the games!! im so happy now.. If only meowstic will get in and im all set.

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
Actually though I think the quote is more recognizable from TF2 than it is Pokémon talk. I’m not saying that Pokémon Talk isn’t recognizable, because I watch the YouTuber and I like those videos, I believe that most people would think the quote is from TF2 @EeviumZ .

Anyways, my thoughts on the reveal trailer

Character Customization- 3/10 because we all
knew this was coming back, they just wanted to reveal it to confirm it
Cooking Curry- 9/10, BOTW Cooking, let’s go
Pokémon!
New Pokémon interaction feature- 9/10, looks like more advanced interaction features, very nice.
New Pokémon: 7/10, the design and ideas are creative, personally I think they could’ve been better. Cramorant looks really silly, though.
Pokémon in the background: 11/10, not only did they show a Totodile or one of its evolutions in the background, they also showed a Sigilyph, that made me hyped AF.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
@ThatJustin’sASpy! i've never played, watched, or done anything related to tf2 in my life... heh

Anyways. My thoughts on this trailer.
Character Customization looks better than the 3Ds games. I love it.
I love Polteageist. It's hilarious. And actually an interesting concept.
Not sure how I feel about Cramorant. The gimmick is cool though.
Pokemon Camp is actually really cool. I'll be using it when I get my copy of the game.
The Curry Dex was unnecessary but kinda amazing. Gives us something else to do. Kinda reminds me of Breath of the Wild.
League Cards are a small feature but are just the kind of enhancements to the experience this game needs.
Also, Roselia is confirmed now. HYPE.
Admittedly, all the BBND stuff did kill my hype a bit at first. I didn't care about it but it was all I could see everywhere on the Internet. My hype is officially back to maximum after this trailer.

So my thoughts.

Trainer customization- 10/10. It looks extremely varied and extremely customizable in how you can look.

I’m actually lazy I’m gonna have to finish this later. Let’s just say “And this is Pokémon Talk and Be done with it”)

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
@fedorflip that helmets’ gonna make a nice bowl for your brains!

Also about the league cards... eh. Could care more or less, cool either way. Also, I forgot to mention, because another starter from another Gen is in we have a good chance of all the starters from all the games getting in.

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
I guess I was seeing things! The Drednaw in the background of one of the Pokémon Camp shots looked a lot like a Totodile! Excuse me for false information.