• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Next Tournament Ideas

No one team is tooled to deal only with one type. or at least they shouldnt be. Type changing should not be banned at any point, its a tactic just as valid as the rest. Mono-Normal would get neutered the most if we would apply this change.

And I am not just saying that because I am an avid fan of Kecleon with both its abilities as well as running transform Smeargle >_>

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
My thoughts are if you ban one, you ban the whole list because otherwise you're nitpicking. Other than that, I don't really have a stance on the issue.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
So at the moment it's basically 6 vs 1 in favour of these moves getting axed. I'm going to allow another 24 hours for discussion here and after that whatever the consensus is will decide the fate of type-changing moves/abilities in this tournament.

Please post your latest views ASAP as this won't be open for discussion once the signup thread is posted tomorrow.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Were there any thoughts regarding soak in particular? Since it's used by one person to change their opponent's typing, I don't see it as being against the spirit at all personally :x

I think there was a general agreement of a blanket ban to be enforced. The sign-ups state that it's banned, I don't really see much chance of anyone using the move unless someone used Octillery or Lanturn as they seem to be the only effective users. While both usable there are lots of better Pokemon to be used on a water team or in Lantern's case Electric type, unless you really want that Volt Absorb.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I just threw it in because it was a blanket ban. I can't see anyone using it at all anyway.

Also as a final note, Relic Song has been added to the blanket ban due to it transforming Meloetta from Normal/Psychic to Normal/Fighting, which would cause an issue for mono-Psychic players using Meloetta.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Octillery can make very little use of soak, with bullet seed, and I don't see that Lanturn can learn it at all. I don't see any use on the rest that learn it though, aside from opening up a weakness to Thunder-wave or removing immunity to Leech Seed for a team-mate Ludicolo/Lanturn.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Well either way it simplifies the matter and I can't see it impacting anyone negatively if at all.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since I think we can call discussion on the Monotype tournament officially over as far as this topic is concerned, I'd like to know which tournament type you'd like to see following this one. So far, two ideas have been brought forward to me: Little Cup and VGC Doubles. For both of these I'd like to use 3DS Wi-Fi to make a change from the Showdown norm, but if anyone else has any ideas then I'm all ears.

Out of those two ideas I'd prefer to see Little Cup. I'd prefer to use Showdown over 3DS Wi-Fi because I've had bad cases of it disconnecting my 3DS mid-match, I dunno if it's my internet, my opponents internet or the 3DS itself.

I suggested Triple Battles in a previous post but maybe have an Ubers Tourney. There could be a Singles Cup, standard play but we have groups like the World Cup and have either the top or top 2 from each group win. And have it like A vs B and C vs D then AB vs CD or A1 vs B2 and A2 vs B1 then A1B2 vs A2B1.

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
So, with Little Cup over and several other tournament ideas ready to go, I have one simple question for our next tournament.

Smash Bros. or Pokemon?

Also, if you want Smash Bros. which title would you prefer to have the tournament take place on?

Discuss away.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
While I would like it to be a Smash Bros tourny, if you do this many people would be left out who don't have the game. Not many people will be left after that since there's already only a small amount of people in the community who participate in these tournys.

I say continue doing Pokemon tournaments since Showdown can be used by all. Maybe in the future when there are enough people you'll be able to still have a good sized tournament when you do a game like Smash Bros. But for now let everyone have some fun :)

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Honestly, Smash Wii U all the way. I know some people don't have the game, but it's the only game I have a chance at winning.

Feel free to go ahead with Pokemon though I can wait. :3

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Thank you for your input guys. Just so you know, a Smash tournament will likely be held at some point, so if you do wish to take part this message is basically here to say you've got a fair bit of time to get the games and practice.

The next Pokemon tournament will be announced Soon(TM)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Alrighty then, I can confirm what the next two tournaments will be.

The next tournament coming up will be the Singles Showdown 2015. Standard 6vs6 singles on Showdown, except with a few rule tweaks courtesy of myself (basically some of the stuff recently Uber'd will be brought back down to OU for this tournament.)

The one after will be Wi-Fi doubles on OR/AS. The reason I'm announcing this prematurely is to give players time to train teams and prepare. As you're all aware it takes a fair bit longer to breed and train teams on Wi-Fi than it does to stick them together on Showdown, so hopefully announcing this now will give you all enough time to think about what you want to use, and train/practice. We don't really do enough Wi-Fi tournaments after all.

Expect the Singles Showdown 2015 topic to arrive Soon(TM)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Small update regarding the Singles Showdown.

Since Smogon's singles ruleset is now less than brilliant to say the least, I've opted to make a few changes to it for the purposes of this tournament. Basically, some of the stuff recently Uber'd/nerfed is being reinstated, and it's up to you guys to decide what you want to see come back and what you want to see stay gone. Here are the things I plan to reinstate:

- Blaziken (and Mega Blaziken)
- Mega Lucario
- Aegislash
- Mega Mawile
- Greninja
- Swagger
- Un-nerfed Baton Pass
- Deoxys Defense Forme
- Deoxys Speed Forme

So at this stage it's up to you to decide which of these you want brought back, and which you'd rather have stay away. Vote away.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
For the record, if no-one objects to any of these being brought back, they're all coming back.

I'm more concerned with what you don't want back, not what you do want back.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
In regards to what I want to stay banned, Deoxys and Baton Pass for me due to bias. I kinda want Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken to stay banned as well, but not as much as the first two listed.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
The only Pokemon I want to stay banned would be Mega Blaziken but honestly I could get behind reinstating all these Pokemon/Moves.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If I had to pick anything I'd personally wish to stay gone it'd be Baton Pass as well, but that's mainly due to how painfully boring it is to battle a Baton Pass team.

The discussion is still open for now, but I'll be announcing the tournament officially soon and by that point the rules will be confirmed, so if there is absolutely anything you want to stay gone, speak now or forever not speak.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
If I had to pick anything I'd personally wish to stay gone it'd be Baton Pass as well, but that's mainly due to how painfully boring it is to battle a Baton Pass team.

This is pretty much my opinion. Though I wouldn't say painfully boring, I'd just say painful. What became the standard pass [Scolipede, Mr. Mime, Vaporeon, Sylveon, Espeon, and usually Smeargle] is fairly hard to overcome if it gains any level of momentum at all, since it contains a defense against every potential counter except Ghost-Curse and Prankster + Perish Song [read: Murkrow]

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'll explain in a bit more detail then: painfully boring if you're able to win. Just painful if you lose. XD

At any rate, Baton Pass will remain nerfed (so only one Baton Passer per team) unless severe objections are made against this in the next few days.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Adam_Malkovich_(Other_M).png

Adam authorises this.

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
Deoxys-S should probably be banned because it's Physical and Special Attack as well as Speed are borderline INCREDIBLE. No Pokémon can outspeed a max-speed, choice scarfed Deoxys-Sanic and that should be taken into consideration. It also has very good sweeping and support capability with it's stats and move pool. So ban it.
(lolololo Smash 4 Diddy and Sheik)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Deoxys-S should probably be banned because it's Physical and Special Attack as well as Speed are borderline INCREDIBLE. No Pokémon can outspeed a max-speed, choice scarfed Deoxys-Sanic and that should be taken into consideration. It also has very good sweeping and support capability with it's stats and move pool. So ban it.
(lolololo Smash 4 Diddy and Sheik)

You're over a month late on this one.

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
Ok, so what's the next tournament going to be after ORAS Wi-Fi? Smash 4? It'll be really intresting and fun to do something other than Pokémon for once, and with the Mewtwo DLC out, Lucas on the horizon, and the Fighter Ballot still in progress, you never know what we might be able to do.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As stated, Battle Spot OR/AS Wi-Fi Doubles is our next tournament coming up.

My question to you all is simply this: As it is using Wi-Fi, naturally this requires breeding/training your teams and then getting in whatever practice you feel you need. How much time do you all think you'll need to get this preparation done? Once I have an idea I can then set a realistic deadline between the signups and the battle brackets going up.

Discuss.

Personally, I already have some good Doubles Pokemon I could use, but if I needed to make more, I would need a month or two. Then again, I'm a minor and school is out in America right now, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Due to the lack of interest/attendance in the current doubles Wi-Fi tournament I've decided to ignite some life into this board by suggesting a Showdown Tournament be run alongside it to get some activity back in this board. Now if people are preparing for the Wi-Fi doubles and waiting to finish before signing up I have no problem holding off on the Showdown tournament in the meantime, however if there are a lot of people not wanting to/are not able to compete in the Wi-Fi tournament, this is for you.

The next Showdown Tournament will be a (possibly long overdue for some) gimmicky tournament with a slight twist to your team building. It won't be anything mindbogglingly absurd but it will make things a little different to the average tournament we have here.

If anyone is interested in me doing this and would like this to happen, now's the time to speak up.

I'm down for this. I haven't really partaken in any 'Charms tournament yet, so I should make myself available when the moment presents itself. Also I'm very interested to see what challenges might await me if I do enter, considering I'm not really used to competitive 'mon play, along with that I've only experience using LC teams, so this should be an interesting event. :)