• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Next Tournament Ideas

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
With the winter months approaching, that means a winter tournament will be coming along with it. We've done stuff like Monotype, Little Cup etc., for this before, so if you want to see one of these again or perhaps something different/not yet done before, this is the time and place to discuss.

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
We haven't done a smash tournament yet. Just saying.
I've had the game for 10 months and I almost never get to play the game with anyone (competitively, anyway) except on For Glory. So I think being able to play against the Charms community would be fun for all participators. But if that can't happen, I'm entirely fine with it.
And if it's Pokémon again, I would like Showdown UU.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
And if it's Pokémon again, I would like Showdown UU.

Regarding this: There won't be any tournaments here involving specific Smogon tiers. They're just a pointless restriction tacked onto what ends up being a mundane tournament.

What have we already done for Winter Tournaments? Monotype was fun, maybe something similar (read: not the same) would be appropriate?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Monotype and Little Cup have been done so far, so there's been a theme for each one but nothing ridiculously gimmicky.

If people would like something in a similar vein to this but not a repeat of the two already used, I'm open to ideas.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Would Petite Cup rules be considered ridiculously gimmicky? Those rules being only use Pokemon no taller than 2m (6ft7in) and no heavier that 20kg (44lbs).

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Probably more gimmicky than Monotype and Little Cup but I wouldn't consider it too over-the-top. I remember one of the Pokemon Stadium games doing something similar to this so if enough people want it, it isn't out of the question.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Similar to Little Cup, maybe something along the lines of NFE-exclusive tournament? Or a generation-locked tournament where you can only us Pokemon introduced in a certain generation? I'm not very familiar with the metagame outside of standard OU and a bit of VGC so these are likely not very good suggestions x-x

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
My ideas:
  • Can only use Physical/Special attacks, no "status" type ones.
    • Would potentially suggest a limitation on items, since choice and/or focus sash may be a bit rampant in an environment like this.
  • No two pokemon may share an egg group on a team
    • Just a random idea, not sure how odd it would really make teams, but there are only 15 egg groups, including the one pokemon which can't breed are placed in.
  • Only STAB moves may be used, including non-damaging moves such as Hypnosis, Recover, etc.
    • Having a great Dual Type and hazards are the way to win with this I'd imagine

Can't think of anything else strange and unusual that isn't too restricting on players.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Of all the ideas mentioned, STAB-only and generation lock are my favourites. A tongue-in-cheek "Genwunner" tournament where only R/B/Y Pokemon allowed would be quite funny.

Of course, it's up to you guys to decide which idea you like the most. A lot of really good ones have been mentioned so far, the hard part will be narrowing them down.

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
Personally, I would like to see something like what we did last year with Insane Calculations (I swear I'm the only person who remembers that), but the levels of the Pokémon would be randomized, so for each one of your Pokémon, you'd roll 1 to 100 and whatever number you got is the level of your Pokémon.
Ubers would be allowed, but they could be a maximum of level 70.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
My vote goes into STAB-only, I'd really like to see how this plays out in reality and it's stuck with me in my head since I made that earlier post.

[if anyone would like to try it out, votes or not, tag me in chat for a battle]

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
While I probably won't be able to participate in the next tournament (though I might), I think that STAB-only would be really fun! No more surprise Hidden Power Ice on my Dragonite :(

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Our next tournament will be STAB-only unless a lot of people suddenly decide they want something else.

I'll give about one more week for people to choose.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
After dabbling with teambuilding, a few things worth considering in STAB-only
  • Refridgerate, Pixilate and Aerilate - the pokemon with them are not normal typed, but the move comes out as matching a STAB
  • Mega Evolutions that change type
  • Protean

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
They will likely work as follows:

- Refridgerate, Pixilate and Aerilate will allow their users to access Normal-type moves as the moves are no longer Normal-type under their effects. However, if the ability is only accessible via Mega Evolution, the Pokemon will have to Mega Evolve to use the Normal-type move. Using a non-STAB Normal move without your ability active will instantly DQ you from that battle (that you probably would have lost anyway for doing something so dumb in the first place.)

- Hidden Power will operate similarly. Pokemon can only use a Hidden Power type they get STAB from despite it technically being a Normal-type move (so Victini can only use HP Fire or HP Psychic for example.)

- Due to it being a massive pain in the ass to keep in check (even for the user if the opponent decides to change the weather) the move Weather Ball is banned outright. Not that I'd expect anyone to use Castform anyway.

- As for everything else not covered by the above, Pokemon are only allowed moves they get STAB for from their original typing. This means Charizard is only ever allowed Fire and Flying moves even if it becomes Mega Charizard X, and Greninja can only use Water and Dark moves even if it has Protean.

I think that covers everything.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Using a non-STAB Normal move without your ability active will instantly DQ you from that battle (that you probably would have lost anyway for doing something so dumb in the first place.)
Couldn't something like Mummy or Simple Beam remove these abilities, though (along with other things like Skill Swap, Entrainment, etc.)? Or something like Soak would turn the Pokemon into a water type? I feel like it'd be unfair to DQ someone from battle if they got hit with a move before/during the same turn they use a normal-turned-STAB move.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Couldn't something like Mummy or Simple Beam remove these abilities, though (along with other things like Skill Swap, Entrainment, etc.)? Or something like Soak would turn the Pokemon into a water type? I feel like it'd be unfair to DQ someone from battle if they got hit with a move before/during the same turn they use a normal-turned-STAB move.

I don't think this should result in a disqualification or otherwise - the person changing the opponent's ability is 100% to blame for the change, so I wouldn't say they could claim it causes unfairness or otherwise.

That aside though:
- As for everything else not covered by the above, Pokemon are only allowed moves they get STAB for from their original typing. This means Charizard is only ever allowed Fire and Flying moves even if it becomes Mega Charizard X

I would disagree with the stance on Megas, as it all but shuts down a handful of megas [Charizard-X, Lopunny, Gyarados, Ampharos, Sceptile]

I think the stance should match that of Mega-Altaria/Pinsir so that they gain access to the new STAB upon mega-evolving, simultaneously losing access to an old type in a few cases.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As hilarious as it would be to make someone insta-lose by Skill Swapping or Soaking them for a DQ, Ruko is right. Basically, if the Normal-type move would have been under the effect of the ability (and thus would have had STAB) when the user selected it, it's OK. If not, it's DQ, since you've then deliberately used a non-STAB move.

As for the Megas rule, the only factors really are ease of enforcement and ease of understanding for everyone involved. If the masses prefer the Megas to be exempt from the original type only rule, it'll go through. I should also point out that Soak is also covered by the original typing rule as well, so Soaking an opponent with no Water-type moves on their set won't force them to switch out or lose.

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I think Megas should account for any type changes. If someone plans on using Megazard X or Mega Lopunny, there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed to use Dragon Claw or have High Jump Kick respectively. Just like those who get Aerialate, Pixilate, and Refrigerate are allowed to use Normal moves, make it so they get disqualified if they use the non STAB in their base forms. That way everyone is bound by the same rules.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK, so, after some deliberation (sort-of) I've decided to amend the "original typing" rule by treating Mega Evolutions as separate entities from their original forms. What this means is that Charizard's "original typing" is Fire/Flying as far as STAB is concerned. However, Mega Charizard X is no longer treated as "Charizard" but as a separate entity with an original typing of Fire/Dragon. This also applies to Forme changes; Meloetta's original typing for its two Formes are Normal/Psychic and Normal/Fighting respectively, so it can use only Normal and Psychic moves in Aria Forme, and can use Normal and Fighting (but not Psychic) moves when it transforms into Pirouette Forme. Might want to be careful if you plan to use Meloetta at all to not use a non-STAB move by accident and DQ yourself. As for Castform's Forecast, losing by getting DQ'd by accident should be the least of your worries, after all, you're using Castform.

Tournament will be up next week when I'm feeling less burned out.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Update for the board - the next tournament will be for Pokken. The topic for signups will be going live before the end of the month, so if you're interested, watch this space.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since there's only a few months left before Sun and Moon arrive and that gives us one more tournament, I've decided to host another weird one in a similar vein to Chosen Favourites some time ago.

Not quite as weird as that one mind you, but once Pokken is over watch this space.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Could we perhaps do a Showdown tournament for Christmas? (I won't have Sun and Moon then) Or would you guys do a Sun and Moon tournament?

I imagine Smogon will have updated Showdown for the Sun/Moon content by Christmas if they haven't already done so, so the next tournament will be Gen VII Showdown, hopefully during Christmas.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Next tournament signups will be going live on January 1st 2017.

It'll be Gen VII singles 6vs6 post-Bank on Pokemon Showdown.

I'm pretty sure we do this earlier every single year, but hey.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Not exactly.

It's pretty much what it says it is; if I can't think of an idea for the next tournament or feel I'd rather let the masses choose it then that's what this is for.

...and I really can't think of anything at the moment, so now's as good a time as any.

The next tournament is up to you lot. Majority rules as always, so the most popular idea will be the next tournament.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If everyone else wants to do it then it's the next tournament.

Once everyone else voices their opinion, we'll know what we're going with.

Here's a gimmicky one for you. We've got 4 islands; each with their own pokedex, so why not an island theme tournament? Each participant can choose, or is assigned, one of the Alolan islands, and must build their team using pokemon that belong in that islands pokedex. If we have enough players, we could even group players into 4 teams to truly determine which island is the best island.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The biggest problem we'll face with that is numbers. If there's not enough players who sign up for it, it's probably going to fall a bit flat, and the numbers for "gimmick" tournaments have often been lower than normal in the past.

It's definitely a good idea, but one I'd rather make sure has a lot of interest before setting it in motion.