• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Other OU Showdown team, need advice

So on Showdown, I like making teams, but I would like to design my team around a Mega Tyranitar, but I have no clue how to counter any of its weaknesses, I also don't really like set up moves.

My current team idea is this:
Mega Tyranitar (obviously)
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Stream
252 HP, 252 atk., 4 sp. def.
Moves: Stone edge, Earthquake, Crunch, Stealth Rock

Dragonite @Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Inner Focus
252 atk., 4 sp. def., 252 speed
Moves: Earthquake, Return, Aerial Ace, Superpower

Togekiss @Metronome
Nature: Timid
Ability: Serene Grace
252 sp. atk., 4 HP, 252 speed
Moves: Air Slash, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, Ancient Power

Celesteela @leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ability: Beast Boost
252 HP, 252 sp. atk., 4 sp. def.
Moves: Energy Ball, Air Slash, Flamethrower, Flash Cannon

Heatran @Air Balloon
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Flash Fire
252 HP, 252 sp. atk., 4 sp. def.
Moves: Magma Storm, Flash Cannon, Earth Power, Eruption

Greninja @leftovers
Ability: Battle Bond
252 sp. atk., 4 sp. def., 252 Speed
Moves: Dark Pulse, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, U-turn

Again, I don't know the ideal team, please help

Last edited:
I don't really have time to critique any of your Pokes, but I will comment on your second line. I used to play without using any sort of setup moves. Just pure brawn and putting oddball attacks on Pokes just to cover weaknesses. However, after being repeatedly worn down by Toxic-stallers and even just simple bulk I've come to realize that to create a good team that can deal with the widest variety of situations possible you cannot ignore at least some sort of setup (at least for singles). Any sort of team that can cut your attacking strength, cause status or tank what you have will slowly tear you apart. I see you use some passive boosting/effects (Air Balloon, Sand Stream). Those are good ideas, but I think taking one Poke out in favor of a dedicated tank/status inducer would be a good thing.

I compromise and use Pokes that can do a little of both. Things like Drought Ninetales can boost fire attacks and Solarbeam and also cuts Thunder's accuracy to 50% & weakens water (all of this on one switch-in, no setup turns). Breloom is a fantastic attacker but it also has Spore, the best sleep move in the game, and a great priority move in Mach Punch. My Galvantula (not OU, I know) runs Sticky Web for those teams that Thunder, Energy Ball and Bug Buzz won't do much to. It also helps since most of my Pokes are average speed, sometimes lower, and it's just good harassment in general that can really mess with an opponent.

You have lots of power, but nothing else. Sweepers are good, but a full team of them makes you one-dimensional and you'll get picked apart by the more coordinated teams and tanky Pokemon. As you battle with the team you've posted try to remember what you struggle against and swap out your least useful sweeper with a status inducer/tank/hazard user to compensate and combat what you can't deal with.

Last edited:
Would it be good if I replace togekiss with an alolan ninetales, holding whatever the item that extends aurora veil (if there is one) and a moveset of hail, aurora veil, moonblast, and toxic? Breloom is also tempting, maybe with mach punch, seed bomb, leech seed, and spore, while holding a life orb

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan
Would it be good if I replace togekiss with an alolan ninetales, holding whatever the item that extends aurora veil (if there is one) and a moveset of hail, aurora veil, moonblast, and toxic? Breloom is also tempting, maybe with mach punch, seed bomb, leech seed, and spore, while holding a life orb
The item that extends Aurora Veil's duration is Light Clay.
And yes, that would probably help, I'm not that good with teams centred around one Pokemon, but I don't see a lot of Pokemon on that team that are working with the Tyranitar, while the Ninetales can help it a bit.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
I'm not a great competitive player but I will mention that SnowWarning/AuroraVeil/Blizzard is a great combo. Considering that Blizzard is a great STAB attack w/ 100% accuracy in Hail.

So I made the ninetales, how is this?
Alolan ninetales @light clay
Ability: Snow Warning
252 sp. atk., 4 sp. def., 252 speed
Moves: Aurora Veil, Blizzard, Moonblast, Toxic

So I noticed my team was weak to water types and so I added a grass type:
Kartana @Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Beast Boost
4 HP, 252 atk., 252 speed
Moves: Leaf Blade, Smart Strike, X-scissor, Sacred Sword

Last edited:
If you're interested, this is my Breloom:
Breloom @ Expert Belt
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4 HP
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Spore
Rock Tomb

Adamant or Jolly nature can be used, but I go for power 'cuz I already have a priority move in Mach Punch. I like the Expert Belt for extra power because I dislike being locked into moves with the Choice items and I can't heal off Life Orb damage with this moveset. Technician buffs base power 60 (or less) moves by 50%, so Bullet Seed and Mach Punch hit for great damage. Spore is self-explanatory. I actually like Rock Tomb because it's base power is 60 (making 90 w/Technician) and Breloom is great bait for flying types, which Rock Tomb can do massive damage to and will drop the opponent's speed on their switch-in.
When using Technician there's no need for "stronger" moves like Seed Bomb or Drain Punch. Those are actually weaker than Bullet Seed and Mach Punch after Technician and STAB boosts, and Drain Punch works out better on a tanky set anyway.

Alternatively, you could go Leech Seed over Rock Tomb to heal off Life Orb damage (per your idea), make a Substitute/Leech Seed set, or go tanky with a Poison Heal set.

A Pokemon that would synergize with Tyrannitar... Skarmory? It can switch in to Sand Stream if Tyrannitar draws out a huge threat. Skarmory has a lot of options for moves and has a massive defense stat. Iron Defense, Roost, Toxic, Stealth Rock, Curse, Drill Peck, Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Iron Head, Swords Dance, Sandstorm, Tailwind... Many different ways to play Skarmory.

Last edited:
What Pokemon would you recommend switching for skarmory? My Celesteela already provides a steel flying type, and I like how it is special (to my Tyranitar's physical) and also covers more types. I find myself more and more relying on it

If you rely on it a bunch then by all means keep it. Honestly, I didn't pay attention to Celesteela when looking at your first post. I don't care for the Ultra Beasts, so I don't use them and know next to nothing about them. I just have a different approach, I guess. Try the Alolan Ninetales and cover your water weaknesses and see what happens. OU, and Smogon rules in general, aren't my bag so perhaps someone else can advise you further.