• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Place to rage against Pokemon Sun and Moon leaks.

Whats worse?

• The Datamines

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • 5-Day Late Release in Europe

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who isn't annoyed about the fact people are datamining the whole game? Who in Europe is annoyed about the 5 day late release date? I sure know I am. This thread is for people to just shout and rage about these annoying Pokemon Sun & Moon leak. I thought I might as well create one, so people who need to shout out about S & M things bugging them.

I accidentally got all the names spoilt. And the types. I JUST CAN'T RESIST THE URGE TO LOOK!!! :(

Also, Prince Noir , I guess like it says in your signature, we have to keep going through Hell. Sigh, if only I could get my hands on those street copies...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sadly, while I've been doing great avoiding spoilers on Facebook, Twitter and gaming journalism websites, one other site caught me off guard that I hadn't expected to so easily run into spoilers on: Youtube. XP

I'd simply been in the process of pulling up the latest Pokemon Generations episode, but because Youtube knows that I like Pokemon-related videos it shared a "suggestion" of someone's play through Sun/Moon... which had an image that screamed "plot spoiler alert"! I quickly scrolled past the image but the damage had already been done. My ability to quickly piece together and analyze information works against me in situations like these. ;_;

So, hahahaa... hah. Nothing is sacred. Nowhere is safe. Insert "won't someone think about the children?!" here. We, who loathe the dreaded spoilers, fight a losing battle. 8'D

Sadly, while I've been doing great avoiding spoilers on Facebook, Twitter and gaming journalism websites, one other site caught me off guard that I hadn't expected to so easily run into spoilers on: Youtube. XP

Youtube is the wooooooooooorst. It's clickbait's absurd and terrible final form-- anything for a click, so the more outrageous the preview image or video title the better.

Yep. Youtube is roaming with Lets Plays and some YTers are being really inconsiderable. Who puts the unrevealed Pokemon on the flipping thumbnail, when 3/4 of people liking Pokemon don't even have the game because we aren't that impatient to buy it early!!!

Who puts the unrevealed Pokemon on the flipping thumbnail
I know, right? I mean, how the heck are you going to get people to see your video if you put the damn spoiler on the thumbnail?

Anyway, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. While we may complain about the leaks and data mining that's going on, there are TONS of people out there who actually WANT this information. Yeah, it's crappy for them to ruin it for those who try to avoid spoilers, but if they want to do it should they be stopped/censored? I can rail against outright censorship any day of the week, but I say let them be. It sucks, but they can pretty much post what they want. Open internet and all that. If we want that then we simply have to put up with it.

As for me, I looked at a couple data mined postings around the net but I don't think I really ruined it for myself. Hell, Kotaku has ruined it for me more so than Youtube and other sources have. I've been avoiding that place for a while now.

EDIT: Sorry about the semi-political nature of my post. Not trying to start anything. :)

Surprisingly, I have found myself not spoiled on any of the story and RPG aspects off it. But I have indulged and looked at mechanical changes like Pokemon stats changes and stuff which I don't mind. I like to get an idea of how the new Pokemon are going to work.

I am also one who generally doesn't mind spoilers, but for some reason I don't want any story spoilers. As along as I don't get too much wind of what is going to happen to my trainer in the region I will be ok, but game mechanics stuff I honestly don't mind.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator

I'd simply been in the process of pulling up the latest Pokemon Generations episode, but because Youtube knows that I like Pokemon-related videos it shared a "suggestion" of someone's play through Sun/Moon... which had an image that screamed "plot spoiler alert"! I quickly scrolled past the image but the damage had already been done. My ability to quickly piece together and analyze information works against me in situations like these. ;_;

So, hahahaa... hah. Nothing is sacred. Nowhere is safe. Insert "won't someone think about the children?!" here. We, who loathe the dreaded spoilers, fight a losing battle. 8'D
What I've been doing lately is browsing YouTube in incognito mode, which stops it from showing me tailored (read: horribly spoilery) recommendations. It sadly doesn't work while I'm using the iPad app, but with some faffing I can work around it.

I'm also in a slightly awkward position, as some of the leaked information is directly relevant to some of the work I'm doing for 'Charms right now. Thankfully none of it is major spoilers, but it does mean that no matter how well I avoid the internet, I'm going to have to get a little spoiled. The things I do for this website :p

Anyway, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. While we may complain about the leaks and data mining that's going on, there are TONS of people out there who actually WANT this information. Yeah, it's crappy for them to ruin it for those who try to avoid spoilers, but if they want to do it should they be stopped/censored? I can rail against outright censorship any day of the week, but I say let them be. It sucks, but they can pretty much post what they want. Open internet and all that. If we want that then we simply have to put up with it.
There's a really long and well-hashed-out debate over spoilers, and how long the statute of limitations for spoilers lasts, and so on. Ultimately, it's a personal choice. While I don't personally want to see spoilers, I know people who do – and that's okay! There are certainly plenty of people who want to see all the shiny things straight away, and I don't think anyone in this thread is implying that they shouldn't be able to if that information exists.

However, in this case, removing the leaked information from the internet wouldn't be censorship anyway – it'd be enforcing copyright. While the genie is well and truly out of the bottle, TPCi are allowed to try and get rid of the leaks, as they're showing copyrighted information. You can already see this happening on YouTube – TPCi are playing whack-a-mole with leaked videos, trying to send takedowns to leaked videos before more pop up in their place. It's a losing battle, but it's their legal right to try.

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As one of the people who doesn't care about spoilers and is quite happy to romp through all the unreleased base stats and moves for everything, I appreciate the time and effort that goes into getting this information for people such as myself who want it as soon as possible, and I also think it's a good idea to get hold of this information in advance so that when the games do come out, the information that everyone would want is already available.

Not that it makes a difference anyway, there's always leaks and spoilers for new Pokemon games. Complaining about it at this stage is pretty pointless.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Since at this point in time I'm not sure when I can buy the game and I know I'll be spoilered by the time I get it (something something information spreads too quickly), I've been pretty meh about seeing spoilers every once in a while. I've seen the whole Pokedex and the menu sprites/Pokedex images for all the new 'mons and a couple of interface screenshots, but surprisingly I haven't seen a single plot spoiler yet.

Then again, I'm also the kind of person to actively seek out spoilers when I can. I'm adamant that if I'm the person who wants to spoil it and am seeking information about it, I actually enjoy it a lot more than being accidentally spoiled, if that makes sense. I don't feel like it ruins the experience itself when I'm spoiling things for me, though if a friend accidentally lets slip that "x is going to happen" or whatever, that's an entirely different story.

There's a really long and well-hashed-out debate over spoilers, and how long the statute of limitations for spoilers lasts, and so on. Ultimately, it's a personal choice. While I don't personally want to see spoilers, I know people who do – and that's okay! There are certainly plenty of people who want to see all the shiny things straight away, and I don't think anyone in this thread is implying that they shouldn't be able to if that information exists.

However, in this case, removing the leaked information from the internet wouldn't be censorship anyway – it'd be enforcing copyright. While the genie is well and truly out of the bottle, TPCi are allowed to try and get rid of the leaks, as they're showing copyrighted information. You can already see this happening on YouTube – TPCi are playing whack-a-mole with leaked videos, trying to send takedowns to leaked videos before more pop up in their place. It's a losing battle, but it's their legal right to try.
You're absolutely right. I guess I was just trying to iterate that there will be spoilers (among millions of other things) out there on the internet whether we like them or not. We're just stuck with it. I do give props to The Pokemon Company for doing their best to stop it though. Can't be easy.
Not that it makes a difference anyway, there's always leaks and spoilers for new Pokemon games. Complaining about it at this stage is pretty pointless.
I agree, though I can't fault people for doing it. Forcing yourself to completely avoid certain places on the internet that you frequent just to avoid spoilers isn't always easy. But oh well.

I myself have been avoiding pretty much everything but 'charms and Serebii's main page so I don't spoil it like I have in the past. I just want this game already! Three more days. :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I hate going into games 'blind' and I quite enjoy researching/reading up on anything I'm planning on playing. I don't really play Pokemon for the story either, so I'm not fussed if I see spoilers about that, or characters. Knowing about the Pokemon before I play the game makes the experience better for me, as I get excited about who I'm going to catch. I also really hate the idea of not knowing where I can find the Pokemon. I like to catch all available Pokemon in each place before I move on and I'd hate to think I was missing something!

I have to admit though that my enjoyment of spoilers is purely game-specific. I don't like my favourite tv shows (like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones) being spoilt, or books. But I love having information on games beforehand so that the completionist in me is satisfied.

I'm kinda stuck in the middle on spoilers. I haven't been spoiled on story (except for a few minor things), but I need to know EVERYTHING about the Pokémon before the game, so I can plan my team accordingly. I normally hate spoilers, but knowing the types and stats of Pokémon is something I can't resist.

I don't care about leaked information about sun and moon because I am sooo used to my friends telling me everything they f**king know about a game that is about to come out like sun and moon. It's have got the point that I don't care anymore and don't forget one of my greatest friends and greatest enemy the internet, I have seen so many leaks I should hire Mario to fix my plumbing.

I was really not expecting so many replies to this thread... but thats totally awesome!!!
Also, Teapot, I wish I knew that mode ages ago. And, yep, Nintendo banned piraters. So definitely never getting copies of games early. Hope everyone learned their lessons who bought the game early.

Also, like some other people, I don't mind about finding out about Pokemon species(I always plan out a team first), but town/city spoilers got me angry. Luckily I didn't find any story spoilers. I knew all the towns and cities before getting the game due to Crunchii's music coming up in recommended. *sigh*

Last edited: