• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Mary Sue Test

Most true Data. Personality wise, you can have the most un-Sueish character you can muster, but if they do something rediculous, such as repeatadly saving the day via a haphazard and hilarious series of events and always end up with the glamourous girl/guy despite being the most non-descript person imaginable, you may just have a Story Sue. The same, of course, applies to giving them super-human powers (even if this is the norm for the Universe they're in): Superman's a Mary Sue. Batman got fixed.

Who has more fans?

It's hard to try and steer away from plot-Sueing, particularly if you want a happy ending. Can't say I'm not treading that fine line myself... *throws a glare in Makszi's direction*

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Sorena who makes her debut in the RP A Matter of Opinion. She got a 65... She's not that bad! I promise! Most of it is because she's obscenely old! ... Which is Mary Sue-ish in and of itself... Don't judge me ;o;

Kari got a ninteen on that one, but only because I've developed his history a little more. I can't say that one is all that different from any other Sue test I've seen, but then I do have the memory of a rusty seive.

Thanks for the post El.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
BUMP.

I have merged the two Mary Sue topics from before and this is their baby.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Welp, finally put one of my original fiction characters through that particular Mary Sue test and scored a 27 - but the score could be lower or higher depending on a few factors.

Example: There is a character in my story who'd EASILY give her life to save the main character's, but that's because she views her both as her child and the closest friend she's ever known (a relationship established well before the actual story begins). Now, lots of parents (human and animal-alike) would die for their kids, so while the concept of dying for someone else is in and of itself a Mary Sue-like trait - it's not that outrageous to assume it could happen.

Yeah, stuff like that. Admittedly I do feel a bit sad if people out-right dislike my characters, but that's usually out of a worry that I didn't write them as strongly/properly as intended. I'm not pompous enough to assume people just didn't "get" them XP

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
RP Brian is still a badass normal being in the appropriate range and Fic Brian is still a Gary. Nothing I can do about that though except roll with it.

Meh, I think this is too easy. I don't see how me, an ammeture(See, I can't even spell that word >>; ) can have my character (See page 17 of charrie bios) score a 1 on that test, and El (The MODERATOR of the roleplaying boards) somehow scores nine. I don't get it. >>

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
To be fair, most people can make a believable and not-perfect character, despite any past experience.

Both of these quizzes are pretty dire though. Like I've said, I know that Yoshimitsu is a massive Gary Stu, but both quizzes tell me otherwise.

(Also, amateur)

*blows a giant raspberry*

As aforementioned, tisn't about one's abilities in these test, they seem more focused on character background, personality and how PC's and NPC's interact with them. I'd say 'perhaps we should create our own test' but I wou;nd't know where to start - it seems more like an abstract rule of thumb rather than something you can really categorize.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
As aforementioned, tisn't about one's abilities in these test, they seem more focused on character background, personality and how PC's and NPC's interact with them. I'd say 'perhaps we should create our own test' but I wou;nd't know where to start - it seems more like an abstract rule of thumb rather than something you can really categorize.

Exactly. I know you guys have already said this many times throughout the thread, but people need to stop focusing on their results and think about the bigger picture. If you're a good, educated writer, you generally already know when your character is crossing the lines of Mary Suedom - you don't need a test to tell you that.

The point of the tests then, as I see them, is to tell people "Hey, these are the most commonly used traits of fictional characters, and when used in excess - they're bloody annoying. Don't be too perfect, don't focus on things that don't matter, and don't make characters exactly like you - or reflect what you'd want to be - when they're not supposed to". Personally, I'm alright with RPers creating characters based off themselves. It's when people start becoming so narrowminded that ALL of their characters - RP or standard fiction - are far too similar that a problem exists.

No, you're not a horrible person if you love aliens, time-travelers, espers, etc. and want to write about them. That's what having an imagination is for! But maybe you should rethink things if they're absurdly overpowered with no real weaknesses, or rely far too much on contrived plot devices to defeat their conflicts. I mean, that's fun sometimes, yeah... but in something considered to be a serious story? You're going to be shot. Repeatedly.

To be fair, I think I agree with one statement in the latest test about asking an "adult" what they think of your character. While the meaning of the word is relative, more experienced readers and writers generally do have a better feel for characters/plots as a whole. We all become better writers as we age, and I'm sure many of us who've been writing for years have seen the development in ourselves, too. In a way, the more experienced a writer you are, the more "real" your imaginary worlds become... even if they're anything but reality.

Quentin got a 0 but his Abra just sleeps in his backpack because he doesn't like the idea of keeping him in his Pokeball all the time.