• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What are you playing?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My brother tipped me off regarding the existence of 3D Sonic the Hedgehog on the eShop and once I heard that it included the spindash, I HAD to have it. Played a bit of it yesterday night and it's a very nice emulation on the 3DS (though from what I recall, it isn't widescreen). Graphics seem sharp, music sounds good, and the 3D effects add a nice touch of depth to certain levels. Might be nostalgia talking but I feel it was money well spent. Now they just need to gimme Sonic 2/3/Knux in this format and I'll be a happy Linkachu. :3

After listening to the beautiful soundtrack, I have decided to start up a new file of Super Mario Galaxy. My goal this time: to actually obtain all the Power Stars for once. I will play as Luigi, damnit! >_<

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
I'm slowly 100% Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on iOS, and getting all of the achievements. I've already played through as Knuckles, now I'm doing Sonic, the Tails, then Sonic and Tails. (Death Egg Zone...Q-Q)

When it comes to the video games, I've been playing Bioshock lately. I do enjoy it--it's an entertaining shooter with a great story and fun gameplay.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I started Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch yesterday and... kind of found myself playing it for over 12 hours in a row. It's kind of amazing.

Slightly on the back burner but still in process of being played is Far Cry: Blood Dragon - which is probably the first FPS type game I've legit liked playing in a while. I'm still godawful at it as I am at most FPSes... But it's simply too amazingly ludicrous for me to abandon. XD

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Playing quite a range of things currently! Playing Ace Attorney: Duel Destinies on my 3DS as well as Attack of the Friday Monsters.

Also got my shiny new Wii U this morning, so I've been playing a mix of Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, and New Super Mario Bros. U. Wind Waker is an amazingly pretty game and having not played it originally it's a real treat. 3D World shakes things up really well and it's one of my favourite Mario games in recent years, NSMBU on the other hand is same old, same old. I don't dislike it, but it certainly won't be something too memorable.

Donkey Kong is good fun, haven't played enough of it to judge too much besides the fact it's toooough. Do love it for that though. :3

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Been playing lots of Super Mario 3D World recently thanks to the influence of a certain @Demelza. :p Prior to yesterday I'd only played the first three stages of the game. I'm now in the middle of World 4. Good progress for a lazy (and crappy) Mario player like me. :'D

3D World certainly is a fun game. I really loved the SNES Mario Kart-inspired stage in World 3. It's likely my favourite level thus far. ♥

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
So last year I bought Bioshock on 360 and enjoyed playing through it, but before earning my last two achievements I stopped playing (due to going to Africa so fair excuse!). I never went back and finished because obviously other games came out and such... but the fact I'm only two achievements away from 100% completion has been annoying me for ages. I need the achievement for completing the game on Hard and the achievement for beating the game without using the checkpoints/restoration chambers. I'm trying to do both on the same run, which is proving annoying as the latter achievement would be a piece of cake on easy, but alas. I'm 3/4 through the game now. Love Bioshock, such a good gaming series.

Also bought Plants vs. Zombies the other day for the Xbox One. Super fun game!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I've not been gaming much lately, but I have been playing a couple of games. One is the venerable Peggle, still one of the most insanely addictive games ever made. The other is MechWarrior Online, a free-to-play online version of the MechWarrior series that's existed for aeons now. It's really very, very hard, but I'm enjoying playing a (slightly) more slow-paced shooty game, especially one that bores 12-year-olds, so the community is mostly not too bad.

They did make me sing I'm A Little Teapot once, though...

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Drumroll please...

2014-03-11 00.01.07.jpg

Just from pure nostalgia, I started playing "Legend of Zelda : A link to the Past" just now. xD
Or is it because I don't own A link between worlds yet :(....

I`m playing Tales of the Abyss 3DS. Best Action/RPG I have ever played. (Just like Left 4 Dead 2 is the best shooter I have ever played and, I don`t play shooters.)

Last edited:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I've just played through Bioshock 2 and enjoyed it so much. I know many Bioshock fans consider 2 the weakest game, but honestly I prefer it to the first. All the mechanics are vastly improved and it just plays through so smoothly.

My playthrough gave my practically all the single player achievements. The rest are multiplayer ones and it slightly annoys me that I probably won't be able to do much there achievement-wise... I doubt many people will still actively play the multiplayer xD

Well, with my recent resurgence of Pokemon-playing, naturally there are times when I want to take a break. Hence these two new games for the 3DS that I will start playing very, very soon: Sonic: The Lost World and Bravely Default. Bravely Default interested me sufficiently enough to warrant my purchase of it, with it's animation style and the good things I've heard about it. Hopefully, it will be an entertaining game!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Bravely Default interested me sufficiently enough to warrant my purchase of it, with it's animation style and the good things I've heard about it. Hopefully, it will be an entertaining game!
I've looked at Bravely Default a couple of times and just never quite made the decision to purchase it. You'll have to let me know how it goes, I'd be interested to hear your opinion :)

I've looked at Bravely Default a couple of times and just never quite made the decision to purchase it. You'll have to let me know how it goes, I'd be interested to hear your opinion :)

So far, it has been excellent! A lot like Final Fantasy in many ways, but with an interesting combat system I have not yet seen. Along with standard actions such as "Action/Fight" and "Item," it has two special action commands named "Brave" and "Default." They rely on BP, Battle Points.

In a battle, each character starts with 0 BP. An action uses up 1 BP, and you recover 1 BP at the end of each turn. You can have up to 3 BP, and you can go into negative BP. "Default" cause a character to wait that turn, temporarily raising defense for that turn and gaining 1 BP, without using up any BP that turn(essentially, you get the BP at the end of the turn without using up any that turn, so you gain 1 BP every turn). "Brave" allows you to use stacked up BPs(or go into the negatives) to perform multiple actions at once in one turn. If you still have negative BP at the end of the turn, however, you cannot attack until it returns to 0.

It is an awesome system that must be used wisely; however, the benefits can be great if used successfully! The story has been intriguing so far, and the characters all have unique pasts and goals that eventually overlap as they get to know and trust one another better. Many familiar elements and mechanics exist, such as Magic(Cure, Fire, et cetera), crystals, weapons and armor, and all that sort of thing. There is also the familiar Job system, each with its own traits and Abilities.

I must note that the map is different. Although the style of the Outer World Map is familiar, the town is interesting in that there are not a lot of buildings you can enter, and shops cannot actually be entered; the door opens, and a 2D shopkeeper appears onscreen to do business. However, a few places, such as the Inn and Castle, can be entered, where you can interact with NPCs and search for hidden items. Also, when prompted, you can have conversations with other party members, which flesh out the characters and story a bit more, as well as provide additional information. Also of note is Tutorial Quests, mini-quests that grant you rewards when you try out certain features of the game. In addition, the game utilizes the Friends you have, especially the ones whom also play this game, in various ways.

Overall, it is a magnificent game. Although I'm not incredibly far into it(about to fight the second Boss Battle!), I can already see that this is an engaging game. Even though it has multiple similarities to Final Fantasy games, it does have a few of its own quirks that make it more entertaining. I definitely recommend it!

Now playing:
  1. Sonic Adventure 2
  2. Minecraft: Xbox360 Edition
  3. Still playing Pokemon Y version
  4. Cubit: The hardcore Platformer Robot
  5. Pokemon White version 2
  6. Happy Wars
Now mastered/passed:
  1. Minecraft PC
  2. Retro City Rampage DX
  3. Castle Crashers
That's basically it. 8)

Last edited:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Mmmmmm Peggle 2 DLC ♥

Didn't even realise there was a DLC until I happened to notice I wasn't only one achievement away from 100%ing the game. Such a nice surprise :')

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I downloaded a new game that appeared in the Xbox One game shop the other day, called Child of Light. It was just under £12 and I didn't think it'd be all that great but oh my goodness it was such a good game! The world and story were both so beautiful and the characters you could meet and have join your party were all so unique. I'd really recommend it.

large.jpg

I finally picked up Pokemon X again, so I'm looking forward to meeting some of you either in a trade or battle. Send me a conversation if you want to hook up for one!

I've also been playing a Pokemon Emerald emulator, Final Fantasy Tactics, Donkey Kong Country, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, and many more.

Outside of the Nintendo realm, I've been playing Minecraft, Plants VS Zombies, Far Cry 2, Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Dark Souls I and II, Sleeping Dogs and the Elder Scrolls Anthology (games I-V).

Geebus, I play way too much video games! XD

Although I have not yet played either one of these very much as of yet, I will enjoy my two newest additions to the 3DS family: Mario Kart 7 and Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. I am also currently playing Bravely Default (FINALLY got to the Temple of Wind after remembering that I could set the encounter rate and level grind faster!) and Pokemon Y.

Persona 4 the Golden is taking over my life so far. I do not regret this. TIME TO GET ALL THE WAIFUS

seeing Persona Q and 5 announced really got me into a Persona mood, and after I completed 3 FES, i decided to try out the golden, and i'm pretty impressed so far~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Currently playing Kirby Triple Deluxe and, despite poorer review scores, very much enjoying it. I can never get enough classic Kirby gameplay. The game's usage of 3D and motion is quite nifty, too. :)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I've recently gotten into the Playstation 3 version of Diablo 3. Currently somewhere in Act II. I'm pleasantly surprised actually - I've never been a fan of the Diablo series (all the overly-serious-grimdark bullshit never appealed to me and the gameplay of the game's PC predecessors always felt like a continuous clickfest through a Zerg Rush crammed into a derpy dungeon crawler) and yet I find this particular version with its slightly more action-y controls to be... almost as therapeutic as Warriors Orochi 3. xD

I'm running a Monk. She has a bizarre pseudoslavic accent. It confuses me.

When my PC lets me I'm playing through Darksiders (I just saw £50 worth of content for £5 on Steam and was reeled in ;w; ). I suck pretty bad at it but I'm enjoying it :)

Currently playing:
Pokemon X - Recently found my old breeding copy of Diamond so I am now transferring everything from there to X and playing the Battle House a bit as well.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - About 20 minutes a day for now trying to reach perfect town rating so mostly upkeep at this point.
Dota 2 - My favorite game for quite a number of years now (including Dota 1 in this statement) so it is always on my play list. Watching the qualifiers for the International as well whenever I can catch them.
Skyrim (PC) - Skyrim is always on the back-burner but I cannot resist trying out new interesting mods I find. Currently playing a mercenary "evil" Dunmer spellcaster.
Loadout/TF2 - When I don't have a huge amount of time to play then I will pop on to one of these two for a few rounds. TF2 is always the favorite but every once in a while I change it up with Loadout.

Recently installed Child of Light as well as the Banner Saga so I will be playing those in the near future.

Currently playing: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright & Pokémon Black 2
Recently Played: Professor Layton and the Mask of Chaos & Pokémon X
Gotta buy: Super Smash Bros Brawl (3DS)