• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.
My favorite evil team is Team Galactic. Tell me yours in the comments.
finale02.jpg

My fave is definitely Team Aqua. They're so cool, and they use Pokemon that aren't meh, such as Sharpedo. Oh, and Alpha Sapphire was my first Hoenn game(I'm only 10).

Mine is without question Team Plasma. Reason being in that they were the first (and only) team to get me to question whether what I was doing as the player was morally correct. I mean Pokemon battles could be considered similar to glorified cockfighting, so is that really something that should be acceptable within a society? Of course all of those questions went out the window with the events in the Dreamyard but they got me to pause for a moment rather than just blindly fight against them without much thought. Oh and I also love how ingenious Ghetsis's plans are, it's a lot smarter and well thought out than anything else in the series.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Not really sure, to be honest. Most of the evil teams are pretty damn ridiculous plot devices, when you think about it.

I mean. Team Rocket are just straight-up Poké-Yakuza. Big, boring but effective criminial syndicate who probably have their hands in just about everything in the Kanto/Johto region and masterminded by an outwardly respectable member of the community (that said, if Viridian wasn't entirely a Mafia City, I would be immensely surprised). I quite like Giovanni as a character (ignoring the HG/SS event moment of weakness there) - he seemed to be an honorable sort, breaking the organization apart after being thoroughly defeated and dedicating the rest of his life to Pokémon. Something about the guy always seemed like there was more to him than just "I'm evil, lol", as opposed to the rest of his team.

Which is more than could be said for the idiot children who attempted to reboot TR in Gen 2/HGSS. But I digress.

Aqua and Magma, meanwhile, are a bunch of ignorant idiots messing around with forces they cannot understand. Yeah, you could call them eco-terrorists. I call them people who have no idea how basic science works, and they honestly needed the solid kick in the head to see straight. Emerald resolving their conflict was nice. OR/AS handled them fairly obnoxiously (aside from turning Archie and Maxie even more memetic than they used to be), but little about OR/AS' handling of the gen 3 story wasn't obnoxious.

Galactic are a cult of personality, plain and simple. There is something utterly lulzy to me about how the basic grunts have absolutely no idea what they're doing (.jpg). I mean, their spouting nonsense and outlandish outfits are indication enough - but the whole "You cannot grasp the true form of Team Galactic's ambitions! ... Hell, I CAN'T GRASP IT." was fucking hilarious.
Then you have the commanders, who are utterly devoted to this charismatic asshole who told them just enough of his plans but not ALL of his plans - because, y'know, he's actually a straight up sociopath who wants everyone dead except himself because when there's no life there's no conflict. Cyrus is actually one of the most fascinating evil team leaders, psychologically speaking. But Gog, his team is a glorious trainwreck.

Plasma are a mixed bag of blind idealists whose idealism led them to pure stupidity and insidious manipulators who are using the front of idealism for their own ends or just follow the head guy with fanatic devotion. Much like with Galactic, the only real source of interest in this team is their leaders (minus the sages, who are divided p. much the same way the rest of the people in the team are) and their poster-boy. Ghetsis was one of the more brilliantly written villains of Pokémon - his calculated actions, the revelation of his real motives and his steady descent into complete fucking madness, which you know that you were responsible for by defeating him. N is a tragic character who manages to inspire empathy even though he's presented as an antagonist stubbornly clinging to convictions drilled into him as a child regardless of the world all over showing him differently... and Colress observes on the side, entirely neutral as long as he gets his research funding, and really, just wanting to see things pan out - I appreciate what he did with Plasma once Ghetsis was out of the picture.

and Flare... well, are a sad excuse for an evil team, much like the Kalos games as a whole had a sad excuse for a plot. Not much to say on these idiots.

(I assume we don't count Cipher and Snagem due to their spinoff status? I mean, Snagem are just a bunch of cartoon villains who are notoriously terrible at it, and Cipher are the Power Rangers Mafia. But yeah.)

So yeah. In terms of sheer plot interest, Galactic and Plasma probably trump the other teams as far as I'm concerned. But I guess there's a special place reserved for TR due to pure nostalgia bullshit, too.

Plasma and Galactic are at the top of my list for the same reasons Stel cited, so I won't repeat all of that.

That said, though, on replaying Blue and talking to some friends, I've realized something about Rocket that I didn't pick up on the first time through. Team Rocket starts off the game having already 'won'. They've already met their goals - they've completely taken over Saffron City, they've got operations in Lavender, Celadon, Mt. Moon, and Cerulean, and like Stel said, if Viridian isn't entirely Rocket-run, I'd be surprised. That's roughly half of all the towns in Kanto that Rocket has a presence in. The Kanto police openly acknowledges that they can't do much about Team Rocket, and the only evidence that anything is being done about them is the one Global Police agent on the SS Anne, who... leaves Kanto with the SS Anne. Someone in Saffron mentions that it'd be great if the Elite Four came and stomped Team Rocket, but they don't.

In contrast, all of the other main evil teams - even Team Rocket in GSC - are starting their plans as you start your journey. The games revolve around "stop this team before they enact their evil plan." RBY, instead, is "take down this team from their position of power." And I like that. It's also one of the reasons I like Cipher - they're already well underway with regards to their plan when you set out and start beating them.

Well, I do think that it would be safe to say that in the anime, they dislike violence, and the violence we see in the Pokemon universe is battling each other for prize money, which would take out the fun of Pokemon battling.
Glory-Four-team-galactic-12947238-624-315.jpg
And also, Cyrus is a wolf in sheep's clothing when Ash first met him, unaware that he was actually an evil mastermind. Thinking that emotion is the root of all evil is pretty absurd, and their goal is pretty disturbing for a kids' game. Think about it. They're actually KILLING every single person and Pokemon in the Pokemon universe. Thinking about it is actually very dark too.

Not really sure, to be honest. Most of the evil teams are pretty damn ridiculous plot devices, when you think about it.

I mean. Team Rocket are just straight-up Poké-Yakuza. Big, boring but effective criminial syndicate who probably have their hands in just about everything in the Kanto/Johto region and masterminded by an outwardly respectable member of the community (that said, if Viridian wasn't entirely a Mafia City, I would be immensely surprised). I quite like Giovanni as a character (ignoring the HG/SS event moment of weakness there) - he seemed to be an honorable sort, breaking the organization apart after being thoroughly defeated and dedicating the rest of his life to Pokémon. Something about the guy always seemed like there was more to him than just "I'm evil, lol", as opposed to the rest of his team.

Which is more than could be said for the idiot children who attempted to reboot TR in Gen 2/HGSS. But I digress.

Aqua and Magma, meanwhile, are a bunch of ignorant idiots messing around with forces they cannot understand. Yeah, you could call them eco-terrorists. I call them people who have no idea how basic science works, and they honestly needed the solid kick in the head to see straight. Emerald resolving their conflict was nice. OR/AS handled them fairly obnoxiously (aside from turning Archie and Maxie even more memetic than they used to be), but little about OR/AS' handling of the gen 3 story wasn't obnoxious.

Galactic are a cult of personality, plain and simple. There is something utterly lulzy to me about how the basic grunts have absolutely no idea what they're doing (.jpg). I mean, their spouting nonsense and outlandish outfits are indication enough - but the whole "You cannot grasp the true form of Team Galactic's ambitions! ... Hell, I CAN'T GRASP IT." was fucking hilarious.
Then you have the commanders, who are utterly devoted to this charismatic asshole who told them just enough of his plans but not ALL of his plans - because, y'know, he's actually a straight up sociopath who wants everyone dead except himself because when there's no life there's no conflict. Cyrus is actually one of the most fascinating evil team leaders, psychologically speaking. But Gog, his team is a glorious trainwreck.

Plasma are a mixed bag of blind idealists whose idealism led them to pure stupidity and insidious manipulators who are using the front of idealism for their own ends or just follow the head guy with fanatic devotion. Much like with Galactic, the only real source of interest in this team is their leaders (minus the sages, who are divided p. much the same way the rest of the people in the team are) and their poster-boy. Ghetsis was one of the more brilliantly written villains of Pokémon - his calculated actions, the revelation of his real motives and his steady descent into complete fucking madness, which you know that you were responsible for by defeating him. N is a tragic character who manages to inspire empathy even though he's presented as an antagonist stubbornly clinging to convictions drilled into him as a child regardless of the world all over showing him differently... and Colress observes on the side, entirely neutral as long as he gets his research funding, and really, just wanting to see things pan out - I appreciate what he did with Plasma once Ghetsis was out of the picture.

and Flare... well, are a sad excuse for an evil team, much like the Kalos games as a whole had a sad excuse for a plot. Not much to say on these idiots.

(I assume we don't count Cipher and Snagem due to their spinoff status? I mean, Snagem are just a bunch of cartoon villains who are notoriously terrible at it, and Cipher are the Power Rangers Mafia. But yeah.)

So yeah. In terms of sheer plot interest, Galactic and Plasma probably trump the other teams as far as I'm concerned. But I guess there's a special place reserved for TR due to pure nostalgia bullshit, too.
Well, Cyrus actually TRICKED the Commanders, because they would DIE, and wouldn't go into his new world. Also, I think the reason why Mars and Saturn followed Cyrus into Spear Pillar in the anime is obviously because of the filthy ConjunctionShipping fandom. (No offense.) Haha, no. It was actually because Jupiter was busy guarding the helicopter outside, but then, she would die as well. Wow. What a dark and edgy plot for a kids' show.
pikachu_and_eevee_by_ryanthescooterguy-d73waao.jpg

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, that's generally what I meant when I said "who told them just enough of his plans but not ALL of his plans".

And to be fair, the anime took a marginally different twist on everything, but then of course it would.

Team Flare - and I don't mean the Nature Boy or the Four Horsemen. Although if I had to make any Pokemon villains from wrestling I'd choose Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks.

Gotta be Team Rocket. I love Jessie and James. Sure, they fail a lot, but they provide a ton of comic relief. In the games, Team Rocket is pure nostalgia for me. There's just something about fighting the Rockets that I never felt when fighting the other teams. I (almost) don't get tired of it.
And poison types. I love poison types. And they tend to use a lot of them. :)

Team Rocket. They're just classic evil. ♥

Plus, Jessie and James are hilarious and really the only enjoyable part of the anime. I do like how they got super serious later on.

i like all the teams... team rocket is the first even team introduced in pokemon. they were the villains in part one then returned in part two, and later on giavonni had some mid-life crisis? and created the rainbow rocket.

then part three came and we met team magma and team aqua. one group wanted to make the ocean smaller? cas he's a sea hating landlubber? and the other wanted make the ocean bigger? so he can live underwater like aquaman? also maxie went from scientist in a labcoat to wearing goofy glasses and shorts? also maxie went from a cool suit to a wet suit with a gold chain?

then gen 4 came and broke the system. no longer were villains wearing basic villain outfits. team galactic knew what was up. also you wern't a true bad*** unless you had a bowl cut. "bowl cuts... bowl cuts everywhere!" said Cyrus moments before forming team galactic. they came in style. Cyrus was a no-nonsense type of guy. 9/10 i bet this guy only ever cried when that one pokémon died in that one movie... *single tear*

gen 5 comes rolling around and team plasma comes rolling around with the hoodies and all that good merchandise. the sages had some of the most dope outfits in all the lands. ghetsis was a man of culture. a true visionary. He should have focused more on his merchandise line though. he would be super rich...

then next was team flare and i think we can all agree these bois were lit. they brought the fire and believe me... it was pure heat! Not only that but team flare had malva, name any other team with an elite four member... i'll wait. also she was a news caster. then you have the lion himself Lysander, this man had class... up until the point when he read too many spider-man comics and had a nervous breakdown and got doctor octopus arms.

lastly we have the best bois team skull. lastly we have the best bois team skull. they were so cool i just had to announce them twice. these guys are called team skull... how savage is that? in team skull everyone had swag and a chain too. they also had dance moves that could make even tierno blush. team skull does kinda seem like one of those "its not a phase ,mom! this is who i am now!" type of teams ,but guzma really is a cool guy though. rocken that chain and cool poses. that's real! none of that destroying life nonsense or creating a new galaxy garbage. just a bunch of cool dudes and lady-dudes trying to fight the system! "yeah! i hate trial captains because they wouldn't let me be a trial captain too!" - guzma. No truer words have ever been spoken... and that my friends raps up the evil teams so far...

I actually kinda like Team Yell. The fact they're not really important in any way is pretty great. It's refreshing to see something underwhelming, weirdly enough.
I still think that Team Plazma is my favourite. They have awesome designs and are a nice blend of Galactic's insanity and the confused group of Skull.