• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

How do you find time to moderate a forum?

I had to resign as a supermod on another forum recently due to the sheer multitude of my studies. Any tricks?

EDIT: Oh I just noticed the N00b system. Brilliant idea really. I can't see anyone really trying to come back and reconcile unless they really care. It's a foolproof way to weed out issues. Good move.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
When something means enough to you, you make time for it.

Also, we have a rather global staff, spanning assorted global locations and/or timezones, which means that there tends to be one of us at least 'on patrol' so to speak all the time.

Either that or we simply have no life. I know I don't! >>

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure about the others, but I play guitar and keyboards for quite an array of years - gotten quite a bit rusty with keyboards as my primary instrument is guitars these days. ^^;

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I can play a very limited version of the Jurassic Park theme tune on the keyboard... and that's about it XD

I'm afraid I was not blessed with musical ability, in any shape of form. I did try to learn the recorder at school, but the music teacher pretty much told me not to bother

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I used to play drums, but I stopped a while ago. I can still play them, but I'm a tiny bit rusty and not as good as I used to be.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If I may ask another question, what instruments, if any, do the mods here play?

If they do play, how long have they been doing so?

None, unless you count plastic guitar's - and even that I suck at ^^;

I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano, but as of now my ability to read music is zip. If I ever do put the effort in to learn the thing someday, it probably won't be anytime soon.

This might have been asked in previous Ask the Staff threads, but:

Where, if applicable, are you all employed? How did you get your job?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Cody said:

I work for the terrible company that is Tesco, oh yes. It shall take over teh world~

I got my original job there through my best friend - she already worked there and recommended me and all that. I went for my interview which went well and then within half an hour of me getting home I received a phone call asking me if I could start right away XD

I got my current job there as Team Leader by being awesome because my manager recommended me and then made me do it~

I do some freelance design stuff on the side sometimes, but I wouldn't class that as a 'proper' job.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oh! Thanks for reminding me about this, Magpie. I meant to reply and then forgot to. ^^;

Cody said:

My job title is basically "EAL Computer Lab Instructor", and I work in the Language Training department at Holland College (the largest community college located on PEI). I work with 16 different classes every two days (two classes at a time for about 45 minutes a session) and we have a staff of about 27 instructors across two different facilities.

I basically got my job through connections and getting my foot in the door. At the time I'd quit Nursing, was unemployed, and was living off the cash I'd earned from my previous job. The free time was great initially, but after several months that life style was beginning to bore me to tears. I asked my mom if she knew about any openings within her work department and she mentioned a two hour computer lab job that nobody really wanted. It was money, it wasn't Nursing related, and it'd get me out of the house, so I went for it. After submitting a resume/cover letter and meeting with the boss for an interview, the job was mine.

Later that same year, a full time position in the computer lab opened up and I was a shoe-in for it. I've since been working here full time for the past two years, this being my third year full time.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'm a filthy student, studying Media at college. There is very little interesting to say about it, to be honest.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm currently working at a BHS store about 10 minutes away from where I now live.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Aside from doing all this stuff (and a number of other personal projects), I work as a PHP Developer for an IT/Business Solutions company here in Leeds. I only recently started this job, so I don't have much to say about it really. It is kinda eating up my time at the moment though - which isn't helped by the living issues we've been having this past month.

I'm hoping things will start to balance out more over the coming weeks so I can fit in time for my personal projects as well (including a tonne of stuff sitting around waiting for me to get the time to finish them up for 'Charms itself).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
At the moment I am a full-time student en route to a bachelor's degree in Biology. It is most likely to be the last year I'll be a full time student ever. XD

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I work at a geology company in Leeds as a software programmer (almost exclusively using C#). It's interesting; not exactly what I expected to be doing, and certainly throws up things I wouldn't come across otherwise. I'm rather enjoying it ^^

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Because I felt like this thread needs reviving and stuffs and I'm kinda curious~

How much time on 'Charms do you spend in a typical week~?

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I'm on pretty constantly because I log on to chat while at work but I do tend to wander off to actually do my job so I'm only active, while at work, for about an hour or so. After work I log on to chat and usually idle for ages.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Same as El really, pretty constantly as long as I have my laptop/tablet at hand. I'll either have a tab open for 'Charms or I'll just routinely be checking it every hour or so, if not more often.

On the chat it really depends on my mood and what's going on at home. If I'm not busy then I'll normally set it up and idle and/or chat most of the day and then will routinely do so for awhile afterwards, but now and again I fall out of this habit and don't visit for awhile, as I've done so recently. ^^;

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I probably spend about half an hour to an hour on here most days, just popping on and off and reading stuff. If I'm working on the Cryptidex obviously the amount of time goes up greatly, but generally I'd say that sums me up :)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I probably catch up on what's happening on the site for about half an hour a day. I might spend a bit longer around the chat if I'm at my computer for any space of time that night.

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
What is something that you dream of accomplishing? (:
If you've already accomplished it, is there something that
you've always wanted to do but haven't yet?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
As a biomechanical eldritch abomination I spend most of my time dreaming, but my dreams will probably cause you to lose whatever vestiges of sanity you may still have. Ia Rl'yeh and all that bollocks.

And on a slightly less Lovecraftian note. I don't think I really have any major dreams these days. Ideally, I just want to live my life in relative peace and quiet doing something I enjoy. Everything else is negotiable.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member

What do I dream of accomplishing...hmm. Don't really have many dreams to be honest, so can't really answer that one. I adapt to things quite easily and feel pretty settled right now and feel like I have mostly everything I want (although... a nice job in Journalism wouldn't hurt one day), so not many dreams. ^^

Something I would love to do one day and haven't so far though is visit Japan to see the sights and generally explore. :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Since I can remember the thing I wanted to accomplish most was to visit Edfu (Temple of Horus) in Egypt. I did that a few years ago after saving up for years and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

I wouldn't say I have a specific dream relating to anything beyond my wishes to have certain adventures (Gardens of Kyoto in Japan, Antarctica, hear wild wolves in Yellowstone Park), as long as I'm happy I think I'm good :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

I want to write a "book" and I want to visit the UK. Those are likely my two biggest dreams at the moment and of the two visiting the UK is very much the easier dream to accomplish.

I haven't been able to properly write anything for a long time now, for a variety of reasons, but I want to start writing again on a regular basis. Maybe then I'll finally, finally be able to 100% complete a novel-length story. It doesn't need to get published, it just needs to be decent and actually read by someone. Might actually try working towards that dream later on today. Not sure. Have a lot of other things to catch up with first and I'm likely more tired than I realize. But hey, it doesn't hurt to dream! XD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
How much time on 'Charms do you spend in a typical week~?
Generally I spend nearly all of my spare time either browsing here or with a tab open on Recent Activity while I'm doing other things. (I have an auto refresh extension that keeps it up to date.) Generally I try to look at everything new on the site that I can, which often ends up being quite time-consuming when we're busy!

Right now, I'm trying to get into the web development business for realsies and as a paid job, so that's my most immediate dream. I also, like Katieface, want to write a proper full-length story one day, but I suspect that might take a very long time.

(We should really do a WRITE MOAR support group on 'Charms. ChaWriMo was always great for that... at least at the start of the month!)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
StellarWind Elsydeon just kind of happened. Materialized one day back in the late 90s/early 00s and that's who I've been on the internet since. (shrugs)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Just out of curiosity: How did you select your current usernames?
I love birds and Magpies are my favourite bird xD Lots of people don't like them, they're traditionally linked to bad luck here in the UK, but I loves them and find them very lucky. Look how pretty they are :')

magpie.jpg
They're also famous for liking shiny things. I like shiny things.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Right now, I want to get a PhD. Ideally the one I'm currently working on, since I don't feel like starting over again :D.

I also want to visit the North American Bear Center in Ely, Minnesota (this will not surprise anyone who's talked to me on Chat) and make a general Fan trip to Japan, including visiting the Pokemon Centers and Square Enix shops :).

I also want to finish the novel-length story I started in last year's NaNoWriMo. I don't know if I have it in me to write A Novel in my own universe, but I'd like to get my fanfic finished, at least.

Eeveelution Master

Formerly Tsukiko Hayashi
The points you get with the trophies, can you do stuff with the points or are they just rewards? Thank you in advance for your time. I hope I am not being a bother. Thank you for this awesome website!