• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Trailer Reveals Gigantamemes - erm, new Gigantamax Forms

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
A new trailer that dropped in the last few minutes revealed a new batch of Gigantamax forms. Unsurprisingly, the Kanto pandering the franchise has been so in love with for the past few generations continues in full force - all of the new forms revealed today are specific to Pokémon introduced in the first generation. More surprisingly, most of these are tied to particular promotions in some fashion or another - but more on that later.

First of all - the trailer itself!

So here's this gigantamaxed enemy genwun... and you attack its weak point for massive damage.

And now that that's out of the way, let's break down what we just saw, shall we?

Naturally, first on the line for shenanigans is none other than long-suffering series mascot, Pikachu.

SWSH_Gigantamax_Pikachu_OfficialArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi_(1).png SWSH_Gigantamax_Pikachu_MarketingArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png
In a fit of Peak Genwun, Gigantamax Pikachu's design harkens back to Pikachu's original design before years of anime and having to make appearances in everything whatsoever streamlined and slimmed it down. Any electric move carried by this blast from the past in its normal form are replaced for the duration of the transformation with G-Max Volt Crash, which deals damage and paralyzes all opponents on the field.
SWSH_Gigantamax_Eevee_OfficialArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.pngSWSH_Gigantamax_Eevee_MarketingArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png
In recent years, Eevee has been getting nearly the same Mascot Treatment as Pikachu has been, so therefore it is of very little surprise that Eevee also got a Max Floof treatment. Apparently containing so much energy makes it even more hyper-actively playful and not quite aware of its being a towering Kaiju. Normal-type moves carried by Eevee in its normal form are replaced with G-Max Cuddle, which deals damage and has an Attract effect on opponents of the opposite gender.

The special, Dynamax-capable Pikachu and Eevee will only be available to players who have play records (presumably save files) from Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go! Eevee on their Switch systems - they will be able to receive them at the "Wild Area Station" which, ostensibly, the players will reach after about two hours of gameplay. Naturally, players with records from Let's Go! Pikachu will receive the Pikachu, and players with records from Let's Go! Eevee will receive the Eevee. Note that these special Pikachu and Eevee cannot evolve - which makes me wonder if they come with the same sort of stat boosts the Partner Pikachu and Eevee get in LGPE to compensate - but that's pure speculation.

Now that we got our "Buy our Genwun-Remake-Spinoff-Go-Simulator For Fabulous Prizes" out of the way, we move on to the next blindingly obvious candidate for the Gigantamax Treatment...

SWSH_Gigantamax_Charizard_OfficialArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png SWSH_Gigantamax_Charizard_MarketingArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png
We all saw this coming - the writing was on the wall for 'Zard getting the Regional Gimmick ever since Leon, the regional champion, was revealed to use the Favoritism Lizarde as his ace Pokémon. In Gigantamax form, Charizard's flames are more all-over-the-place than ever - and it seems to get some pretty nifty markings too. Whatever fire moves it carries in its regular form are replaced for the duration of the transformation with G-Max Wildfire, which deals damage and continues damaging the opponent for four more turns afterwards. Fire-type opponents are immune to this damage-over-time effect.

SWSH_Gigantamax_Butterfree_OfficialArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png SWSH_Gigantamax_Butterfree_MarketingArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png
The biggest surprise of this trailer was perhaps this - Gigantamax Butterfree! Its radiant and semitranslucent wings are rather evocative of a certain other well known Kaiju, and any bug-type moves it carries in its normal form are replaced for the duration of its transformation with G-Max Befuddle, which inflicts damage as well random status conditions (paralysis, poison or sleep) on all opponents in an Effect Spore-y sort of way. On a personal note it amuses me deeply that this is the first time Gamefreak has shown any love for Butterfree since the tiny boost it received to its special attack in Generation VI and the first Bug-type related thing in this reveal cycle at all. About time.

And lastly... don't say it... don't say it... don't-

SWSH_Gigantamax_Meowth_OfficialArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png SWSH_Gigantamax_Meowth_MarketingArt_Glow_RGB_300dpi.png
LONGCAT IS LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.​

Yes, the hottest new meme of 2004 attempts to claw its way back to relevance amidst the rest of Gen 8's memetic mon. Apparently its obsession with shiny objects means that it uses gleaming skyscrapers as scratching posts. The insurance industry in Galar must make a killing.
Normal moves carried by this Meowth in its normal form are replaced for the duration of its transformation with G-Max Gold Rush, which unsurprisingly is a souped up Pay Day - with the added fringe benefit of confusing every opponent on the battlefield. (Honestly, we'd be confused too).

The special Meowth capable of Gigantamaxing, like Pikachu and Eevee, is more of a promotional thing available via Mystery Gift for players who purchase Sword and Shield before Wednesday, January 15, 2020 (an internet connection is required to receive it, but a Nintendo Online subscription is not required). Also like Pikachu and Eevee, it cannot evolve.

As for anything else... Not much to report, really. Gigantamax does not change these Pokémon's types or abilities - merely their forms and the special move they get. What sort of effect these new forms may have on the game itself? We'll just have to wait and see when the games release next month.

CreepyKidInDaCorner

Previously GKForest
I like Butterfree... Don't judge me Butterfree is for everyone. It's good to see my favourite Gen1 bug get treatment (I like you too Beedrill). When Ash released his Butterfree into the wild I cried for a while. So I am happy if Ash's Butterfree returns for next anime season.

Eevee is so fluffy!!! *Internally squeeling* :love:

New Charizard is much cooler than charizard X.

Last edited:
The Kanto pandering’s a little annoying, but I have to admit that a lot of these designs are either awesome or funny.

Plus, I’m hoping that Charizard & Butterfree are implying that we’ll be getting several Gigantamax Pokémon based on Kaiju. We now have Rodan & Mothra, while Gigantamax Drednaw could also be a homage to Gamera

I have always hated how they pander to fans of the original.
WE GET IT. GENERATION 1 EXISTS, GAME FREAK.
Quit shoving a bunch of fan service to continue having Genwunners go "See? My game is the best! Why else would they be giving my game fan service?"

@ManyAchievables Agreed. The only gen 1 Pokemon I have any sort of partiality to is Eevee (obviously). The rest are either boring or overrated.
Gigantmax Eevee is so cute just with the thick fluff of it's neck, also WHAT THE HECK IS WITH GIGANTAMAX MEOWTH. he makes the statue of liberty look like a small peanut@.@

It's just sad that the Eevee you can get can"t evolve, I really wanted a Gigantamax Umbreon

Last edited by a moderator:

pluveon

Previously DreamyVictini
From the official website:

"Butterfree’s vast wings can stir up a wind strong enough to lift a 10-ton truck, just by flapping. This wind also scatters poisonous scales around the area, so simply being near this Pokémon is very dangerous."

... And we're letting it into an arena full of people. Okay then.

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan
PLUS ULTRA!! Sorry, I couldn’t resist
Oh lol.
I wonder, can the Eevee that can be gigantamaxed be nicknamed? If so, I want one nicknamed 'Izuku' for the sake of funnyness~

From the official website:

"Butterfree’s vast wings can stir up a wind strong enough to lift a 10-ton truck, just by flapping. This wind also scatters poisonous scales around the area, so simply being near this Pokémon is very dangerous."

... And we're letting it into an arena full of people. Okay then.
Ah, Pokemon logic, where butterflies can be stupidly heavy but still able to land on people's head's without hurting them and a blue whale is lighter than air~

CreepyKidInDaCorner

Previously GKForest
Gigantamax Tyranitar but as gozilla.

Muk should get one too. You know cause Hedorah the Smog Monster. (Man I am such a Godzilla nerd *Punches himself*)

Maybe Hydreigon will get one too. P.S. Hydreidons based on Orochi not Ghidora. Just wanted to put that out.

Gigantamax Bisharp would be sick. It would be like having Jet Jaguar or Ultramen

Oh lol.
I wonder, can the Eevee that can be gigantamaxed be nicknamed? If so, I want one nicknamed 'Izuku' for the sake of funnyness~
Just like it would be a mistake for a Gigantamax Voltorb to be let into an arena

Ah, Pokemon logic, where butterflies can be stupidly heavy but still able to land on people's head's without hurting them and a blue whale is lighter than air~

Last edited by a moderator:
And Galarian Ursaring will impersonate the appearance of Yogi Bear but holding a croquette mallet and wearing a wool sweater vest. Picnic baskets Bewear <.>

@ManyAchievables Agreed. The only gen 1 Pokemon I have any sort of partiality to is Eevee (obviously). The rest are either boring or overrated.
When did you start playing Pokemon? What gen? Not hating on you, but as a "genwunner" I can say that there are many out there that think the newer designs are boring and/or overrated. I honestly don't get the hate toward gen 1ers or the Pokes and reading this news piece made me roll my eyes on multiple occasions. I have my preferences/opinions too (personally, I think GF has been hurting for ideas after gen 6), but why can't we all just get along?
Can I get gigantimax Venusaur tho...
Like the zard is ok but I like the plant better.
Venusaur is my favorite Pokemon. We need G-Max Venusaur. Now. lol
Same if Charizard's the only one that gets a gigantamax version...
I think we'll get them, but possibly not with the same treatment. Charizard did get 2 megas while the others only got 1... But we shall see.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
^ I started playing last year...
and I never said I hated Gen 1. I don’t hate any Pokémon or generation, as a matter of fact. And I don’t hate genwunners either.
Everyone can have their own opinions on Pokémon. I respect everyone and their opinions. My apologies if I came off differently. =)

^ I started playing last year...
and I never said I hated Gen 1. I don’t hate any Pokémon or generation, as a matter of fact. And I don’t hate genwunners either.
Everyone can have their own opinions on Pokémon. I respect everyone and their opinions. My apologies if I came off differently. =)
Oh, you're fine. I wasn't referring to you specifically. I just see it in various places on the internet and it bugs me. No worries. Sorry if I came off harsh. :)

Speaking of bugs, I forgot to mention that I'm LOVING this new Butterfree. I'll probably put it on my team. I'm interested in how it'll work out competitively since I already use one for singles.

Last edited: