• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Dark Tournament

Should the NPC have shown Nightmares

• yes- more depth and environment

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • no-takes away from the pcs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Awww what a sweet post you made, Mega!
Delilah is really working her mocha skinned, green eyed magic on Damian, huh? That combination is really a force to be reckoned with. Seriously though, I wanted to applaud you for your detailing of how Damian handled his pain. It's all very realistic, and gives off the feeling that he's used to such sensations before, and knows exactly what to do. I can even feel the pain he was going through, and that's really saying something. Great job. ^^

Actually my reasoning for the Tyra was not that it was OP. It's not practical for you to be a survivor of the first day. A pokemon that big would attract a lot of wild pokemon's attention. No matter how tough it is with no healing the two of you would eventually have gone down. More importantly though TR would take one look at thing and go hey guys Target Practice.

As for Lin you have points on weight and reach. However survival is not the only thing she has done. Lin has been in many fights both with wild pokemon and humans both. She was also trained by a top class veteran ranger before officially entering the rangers for more training. One last thing the very birth of martial arts came from humanity studying and mimicking animals.

Actually my reasoning for the Tyra was not that it was OP. It's not practical for you to be a survivor of the first day. A pokemon that big would attract a lot of wild pokemon's attention. No matter how tough it is with no healing the two of you would eventually have gone down. More importantly though TR would take one look at thing and go hey guys Target Practice.
Yeah, like I said, huge handicap.

As for Lin you have points on weight and reach. However survival is not the only thing she has done. Lin has been in many fights both with wild pokemon and humans both. She was also trained by a top class veteran ranger before officially entering the rangers for more training.
This makes a lot more sense for her to be on the list then. :p

Also you guys go very real world physics on this. I view it more action move, manga, anime type. half the pokemon shatter real world physics, so I see the humans not being held so tightly either.

Delilah is really working her mocha skinned, green eyed magic on Damian, huh? That combination is really a force to be reckoned with.
It's a proven recipe! :D

Great job on that entry Mega, wonderfully written on so many levels. Were you always this good a writer before?

One last thing the very birth of martial arts came from humanity studying and mimicking animals.
So true, at least for arts like kung-fu, but I'm not quite sure why you'd mention that here? Developing a martial art, especially one not based on another, is a life long commitment, and often spanned generations to refine.

Also you guys go very real world physics on this. I view it more action move, manga, anime type. half the pokemon shatter real world physics, so I see the humans not being held so tightly either.
Isn't it great though? The realism add several layers to the drama, the dread. Sure many Pokemon descriptions wouldn't actually work, but we just take those as the exaggerations they are and make it work somehow. And with the pokemon already shattering so many real world physics we should take extra care to preserve what we have left no?

@BurbleBurble

I've noticed that the images in your tags aren't displaying correctly. I recommend you get them from this link instead of the Pokecharms Proxy.
Ah. Crap, thanks for the heads up. I'll replace them in a minute.

Once again, you all talk a lot while I snooze :p

Finally, I want to show ya'll a big reason I was late. Or at least it's music.
I've been replaying it and not only realized several characters that were incredibly similar to some of the ones on here (Specifically Artemia the Ranger and Lin, who are both feral young women who expertise in bows...but that's about it).

If you don't what Bravely Default is, the game is an JRPG about 4 heroes (and one "Cryst-Fairy" who doesn't fight) from varying pasts banding together to travel across their world and "awaken" four crystals that keep the world in check, all the while fighting off the corrupt leaders of a continent named Eternia's army. But nothing is as it seems.

That's the gist of it, at least. I ain't gonna spoil it for ya'll, but I do implore you to listen to some tracks from the game.

That Person's Name Is
Wicked Flight
Ba'al battle theme
Now that I got that out of my system, allow me to fix my post and make another.

OK let me try to explain more in depth how I see this. If we truly went real world with this many of the characters would be dead. Damien would have been killed for sure from giant spikes with poison on them impaling him. Especially if we take into account the lethality of poison goes up dependent on how much of a dose you receive. Since the poison works on large pokemon the potency would have to be insanely high and would kill a human in seconds at that amount. Delilah's spine would be shattered from the impact of something as large as that nidoking attacking her. Salem would likely be dead from the scyther attack. Floyd would most certainly be dead from poison, So I think we have to take into account the trainers are on average FAR tougher than real world people. except for the absolute most extreme cases of humanity.

Now I do not want the trainers to be on the level of supernatural or superhuman at least by fiction standards. I am looking along the lines of what marvel or DC would call human which is still freaking ridiculous when compared to the real world. Now this should not subtract from the darkness or drama of the game at all. Pokemon are still far more powerful than you and incredibly dangerous. You can still die from wounds and infection and disease are a thing. Also I want their to be some perspective even in fiction. Mina with no combat training is not going to mess Salem up in a fight for instance much less Mathew or Erejast. I don't expect to see Floyd perform a bicycle kick into a charging Usaring's face. Now on the other hand might Floyd eventually hurl a rock with his brain it could happen. Psychics are a thing in the pokemon world and it is ocly established at this point that floyd is a budding psychic.

I guess what I am getting at is if it makes good story and is not to broken then go ahead unless I or multiple players say no. Keep the darkness just don't try to nit pick the physics to much and most of all lets all have fun.

Once again, you all talk a lot while I snooze :p
You got that backwards. You go to snooze when the lot of us start talking ;)

OK let me try to explain more in depth how I see this. If we truly went real world with this many of the characters would be dead. Damien would have been killed for sure from giant spikes with poison on them impaling him. Especially if we take into account the lethality of poison goes up dependent on how much of a dose you receive. Since the poison works on large pokemon the potency would have to be insanely high and would kill a human in seconds at that amount. Delilah's spine would be shattered from the impact of something as large as that nidoking attacking her. Salem would likely be dead from the scyther attack. Floyd would most certainly be dead from poison, So I think we have to take into account the trainers are on average FAR tougher than real world people. except for the absolute most extreme cases of humanity.

Now I do not want the trainers to be on the level of supernatural or superhuman at least by fiction standards. I am looking along the lines of what marvel or DC would call human which is still freaking ridiculous when compared to the real world. Now this should not subtract from the darkness or drama of the game at all. Pokemon are still far more powerful than you and incredibly dangerous. You can still die from wounds and infection and disease are a thing. Also I want their to be some perspective even in fiction. Mina with no combat training is not going to mess Salem up in a fight for instance much less Mathew or Erejast. I don't expect to see Floyd perform a bicycle kick into a charging Usaring's face. Now on the other hand might Floyd eventually hurl a rock with his brain it could happen. Psychics are a thing in the pokemon world and it is ocly established at this point that floyd is a budding psychic.

I guess what I am getting at is if it makes good story and is not to broken then go ahead unless I or multiple players say no. Keep the darkness just don't try to nit pick the physics to much and most of all lets all have fun.

I'm confused. What i'm getting from this is that you want us to keep to, what is known as Dramatic Realism, or movie realism. Which is exactly what we've been doing so far as I can tell...

Perhaps you need to give some examples of what you considered to be "very real world physics."
I didn't see any problems with going as realistic as you can wherever it's needed, and gloss things over a bit for the sake of story, where it's not. That's been my approach so far at least.

The ic stuff has been handled great so far. I was just more referring to some of the oc thread debates that have come up.

Sorry I did not want to sound like I was complaining or to confuse anyone.

I guess what prompted me to post that is the thought of a character being like hey I can be hit with thousands of lbs of pressure and survive or dodge projectile faster than human reflexes but a smaller opponent can't be more dangerous in an unarmed fight than a larger opponent especially when that is a often repeated core element of dramatic realism.

Not a lung as that would not go unnoticed.
But I figured something probably got punctures in the wild flailing of the Sceptile with his arm blades.

Initially I was thinking of letting him get away with nothing, but just to emphasize how stupid it is to try and take on a pokemon like Arrow empty handed I decided to punish him a bit. Do you approve?

I'm doing a nuzlocke run of Pokemon White 2 and I just caught a Purrloin, I nicknamed it Lady cause I couldn't think of anything else suitable. :p

And it's 2:30 AM, I should probably go to sleep.
Heh, I did that before too. Didn't actually use Lady that much, but she KOed a few Pokemon before getting boxed.

I should go back on and train it up just to humor it :p

Always looking to expand my Pokémon knowledge I've been slowly working through the lists starting with whatever looks cool, and I just discovered Minccino and Cinccino. Oh my goodness how adorable they are. I could never get myself to really pick up and of the small cute pokémon before. I never liked Pikachu, and I guess Eevee was probably my best bet, but that one just feels too commercial.
But I think I finally found my match now. The Scarf Pokémon it's called, perfect because I really like scarfs!

minccino.gif
cinccino.gif

SUPERRNOVAA, some expert knowledge on these Pokémon?

@Nygenn
Well, since Supernova is offline at the moment, I'll fill you in.

Those are Minccino and Cinccino, the Chinchilla Pokemon(s). They originate in Unova, or Gen V. I think they are known for being quite tidy, using their tail(s) to sweep things up, and Cinccino is coated in a special oil that makes them quite shiny and able to deflect attacks or something of the sort.

They are both normal types, and specialize in multi-hit moves (Like Bullet Seed and Rock Blast), and Minccino evolves through a Shiny Stone.

Here's Pokedex entries on Minccino and Cinccino respectively.

I dunno what tricks the system is playing on you Burble, I'm definitely online. Although you won't hear from me soon since I'll probably pass out within the next hour or so.
Speaking of passing out. Has anyone else noticed how Aidinia just confidently strides into the scene with those pearly white, perfect moons of hers on full display for all to see. If Salem wasn't suffering blood loos before then he most definitely will be now. Poor guy. That sexy doctor is just killing him softly.

I dunno what tricks the system is playing on you Burble, I'm definitely online. Although you won't hear from me soon since I'll probably pass out within the next hour or so.
It doesn't say you are. Do you have that feature disabled that doesn't let other people see when your online? That may have something to do with it :p

It doesn't say you are. Do you have that feature enabled that let's other people see when your online? That may have something to do with it :p

Just checked, I don't have it enabled. :p
I'll fix it in a moment.

Speaking of passing out. Has anyone else noticed how Aidinia just confidently strides into the scene with those pearly white, perfect moons of hers on full display for all to see. If Salem wasn't suffering blood loos before that he most definitely will be now. Poor guy. That sexy doctor is just killing him softly.

Voluptuous but deadly.

Geez, why are all my posts so goddamned long? :'|

Can't I just have this short and sweet post that's really fun to read but isn't of intimidating size? A post that's just enough without having it so drawn out? I just... *sigh*

I'm going to bed.

Unova region you say? Did you hear that my Wonderful Pen? ;)
But, I'll keep that in mind. :)

That list is missing so many better characters. I think there were 2 characters on there that I didn't know :p

Fun fact though, I was sorely tempted to use Archer from the Fate series for Salem initially, but he was just too stern and stiff.

Hmm I was just thinking about all the Pokemon Salem already has and the ones I've sorta picked out for him to still gain. I picked all of them based on fluff, persona's and looks, however, when I checked again I noticed that by some coincidence they actually cover a nice variety of types without a single overlap.

Nidoqueen (Poison / Ground)
Bastoise (Water)
Infernape (Fire / Fighting)
Mawile (Steel / Fairy)
Cherubi (Grass)

Minccino (Normal)
Absol (Dark)
Dragonite (Dragon / Flying)

That would mean I'm still missing out on the following types: Electric / Ghost / Psychic / Bug / Ice / Rock.

Anyone have any good Pokemon suggestions that would fit Salem and cover these missing types that I could put on a Poké-wishlist?

(Oh and before anyone says Jynx or Smoochum, NO! just no... I am aware it's a female, supposedly all about seduction, that she's dark skinned, and would cover both Ice and Psychic, but NO! It's too awful a Pokemon) :p

Last edited:
That would mean I'm still missing out on the following types: Electric / Ghost / Psychic / Bug / Ice / Rock.

Anyone have any good Pokemon suggestions that would fit Salem and cover these missing types that I could put on a Poké-wishlist?
Well, I like Galvantula. Bug/Electric, which covers two.
galvantula.gif

Not to mention Froslass, though that has a bit of overlap with Cassie's old team. But still, Ghost/Ice.
froslass.gif

Also Armaldo, Rock/Bug. Be warned though: He is a fossil Pokemon, so you might need a story to back him up.
armaldo.gif

Also, while one is already on Gerald's team, Shedinja is a niche Pokemon I adore~ Bug/Ghost.
292.gif

Salem seems like the type to pick up a Gothitelle, pure Psychic type. Though it may invoke Jynx feelings...
576.gif

And finally, but certainly not least, is...
Aurorus! This icy Pokemon is Ice/Rock and also a fossil Pokemon. But it's rather majestic looking, no?
699.gif

Well there you go! Six Pokemon to choose. If you need more, just ask!

I'm looking myself as well of course. And I must say that both Froslass and Aurorus really stood out to me as well. I haven't looked at Ghost types just yet but Froslass seems a nice coverage. What did you mean with the overlap to Cassie's team though?
Aurorus looks really cool, I can totally imagine Salem being very enamored with it because it's so large and majestic looking. At first glance I thought it might be a water type, but that wasn't the case. The fossil part would definitely require a story behind it, but that just adds incentive in my opinion.

Shedinja I don't really understand. I think Salem would just find it rather weird, not much to be excited about there.

Galvantula caught my eye as well, but while I think it's pretty cool, I think spiders would just be difficult to connect to. It would have to have a pretty cool personality or back story I think. Something like a Raichu seems more likely, or perhaps even one of the Elekid/buzz/vire. Though seem like they'd have the kind of personality that Salem would really get along with.

I had never heard or even seen an Armaldo, but it actually looks like a pretty solid choice. Style wise similar to Ajax I think, butt hen different typing. The fossil thing would certainly it an interesting acquisition, and it has an hidden ability called Swift Swim apparently, how intriguing.

I'm not sure what to think about Gothitelle. It seems a rather moody/down Pokemon, but Haven't really looked at the alternatives yet.

Awesome finds though, thanks a bunch.