• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Umbramancy - Harry Potter RP (Discussion)

In the reboot, how do we do houses?

• Get an equal amount into the houses, or near-to equal.

• Decide on a house we're all in.

• Decide on a house we're all in because the Sorting Hat was hijacked somehow.

• Decide on a house we're all in because the Sorting Hat got confused.

• Other (Explain in a post)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wanna join!
Name: Lucie Akara Foster
Blood status: Pure-blood
House: Ravenclaw
Personality: She is intelligent, and is brave and reckless. Lucie can be impulsive, cold, and harsh sometimes. But she means well.
Appearance: She has short black hair and a blue and green eye. (caused by a genetic difference) Besides her school robes, she would wear blue jeans, a dark blue t-shirt with an eagle on it and a denim jacket with black lace up boots.
Skills: She plays Quiddich, and she loves to sing and read a lot. She is also a metamorphagus (like Tonks)
Backstory: Lucie grew up in a rich home with her sister and two brothers, Luna, Leo and Landon. As she is a metamorphagus, she can change her eye color and hair color. Her mother and father were both Aurors, and they now are working in the muggle world.
Wand description: 13 and a half inches, cherry and phoenix feather, springy.
Other: Accio!

Pet: Pygmy Puff
Name: Cotton Candy (called Coco)
Appearance: Pink and tiny, has a little bow.

@GalacticDeg Would I be able to make a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher OC, since the position opened after Voldemort was offed and his Carrows outted? :3

Follow up question; are we going by the canon dates for Voldemort's defeat (1998 ), meaning it's been 20 years since Deathly Hallows and Harry/Hermione/Ron would be about 38 yrs old?

Last edited:
@The Kitsune I'd rather the teachers not be used as a main character, if you want to be in the roleplay, please can you use a student. You'd be the last person in the roleplay.

And yes, the Golden Trio is 38, and married and stuff. However, the events in the Cursed Child and any of the character's kids don't exist (Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy, etc)

Actually, the last movie says 19 years later if i remember correctly. Meaning this would be Albus and Co.’s second year at Hogwarts.

Also, @MihajloJedi i have a lot of roleplays and not a lot of time. Sorry if i take a while, but this is the fifth ping from you in the past two days. Could you please be a little more patient while i work on the response?

Oh, I would still create a student character, just wanted to play a teacher as well if possible. This would be my main character;

House: Slytherin
Name: Lilith Sterling
Appearance: Lilith has long, board-straight black hair that that reaches nearly to her ankles when unrestrained. Because of this and the awkwardness it would otherwise cause, she wears it in a thick fishtail braid and wraps the length around her neck like a scarf. Her eyes are a light greyish-blue and she a curious burn scar peeks out at the neck of her robes stretching up to her left ear (another reason for her scarf-like hairstyle). A single curved metallic dragon’s claw hangs on a silver chain around her neck.
Personality: Lilith is stubborn, headstrong and ambitious; the last quality likely what earn her her spot in Slytherin. With a childhood of frequent upheavals, she has learned to be outgoing and quick in making friends, but as her previous friendships were short lived due to travel, she rarely gets truly attached. Lilith loves anything athletic and will take any opportunity to test her capabilities even at the cost of injury. Body weight training and yoga are hobbies born of her isolated youth and still remain her favorite pass-times.
Skills: Her athleticism and quick-reaction instincts are probably her most prominent skills, but she will discover a Potion’s aptitude to rival both as her years at Hogwart’s progress.
Blood Status: Pure Blood
Backstory: Lilith has had little experience with wizard society despite having a pure blood status to her name and that is largely due to her parent’s choice of occupation. Both Melissa and Adam Sterling were Magical Creature Zoologists, and their work carried them regularly into wild and unpopulated regions, their young daughter in tow.
Now Lilith’s childhood wasn’t nearly as exciting as this simple synopsis made it sound, however. More often than not she was confined to their tent or the camp if she was lucky and never allowed to wander beyond the safety spells her parents had put in place. Her only actual encounter with a dragon had not been a pleasant one. At the age of 7, while in the foothills of Sweden, her father had decided to bring ‘his work’ home. There had technically been plenty of room for the dragon egg he’d ‘procured’ in the rented farmhouse and observing a hatchling was sure to offer new insight on the otherwise secretive species, but they underestimated their daughter’s curiosity and ingenuity. Skirting around the defensive shielding over the barn’s entryway by crawling through a broken side board, Lilith came face to face with a fiery little hatchling half her size. The flame had been enough to turn half her hair to ash and leave a sizable burn down her neck and left shoulder. The burn was healed quickly enough and her hair eventually grew back, but the scar and her respect for dragons never faded.
As she got a little older, Lilith was allowed more leniency on her parents journeys, allowing her close enough to observe and even touch the heavily stunned and otherwise ‘safe’ specimens. Actually they had been in the uncharted, forest depth of the Ukraine, studying the breeding season of the Ukrainian Ironbelly (Lilith allowed to observe from afar), when the (exhausted) owl delivering Lilith’s letter arrived. Her parents travelled with her back to London to prepare and saw her on to the train before returning to their studies in the field. Visiting over the Christmas holiday’s wouldn’t be an option…
Other: Stupefy! is the only spell Lilith knew before arriving, a precaution taken by her parents for all the times she was left alone

Pet: Northern Hawk Owl
Name: Talon
Appearance: At nearly 17in. long, she is pretty much as large as she will ever be. Otherwise she had the typical appearance of her species; brown, white and hawk-like.
Personality: Talon is stoic, not involving herself in anything unless required. While she is loyal to Lilith, even she rarely gets any show of affection from the bird.
Backstory: Talon was bought by Lilith’s parents for her 9th birthday during on of their research studies in the Ukraine. It served as a means of communication between her and her parents if they were far from camp.
Other: Talon prefers to roost in the grounds trees instead of in the owlery

Last edited:
@The Kitsune - Your main character would be the student? Then yes.

Some info for the RP:

Umbramancy - CURSE - The opposite to Necromancy. Rather than bringing back the dead, it kills the user. However, it makes them an undead creature. One capable of godly and destructive power. This spell requires physical additions to the wand, and has not been used or attempted since ancient times.

My teacher creation. I hope he meets with your approval. (I very rarely create male characters)
House: (Formerly of) Ravenclaw
Name: Professor Jareth Zemeness
Casual Name: Prof. Zemeness or Prof. Z
Appearance: Prof. Zemeness is getting older (too old in his opinion) but she still doesn’t look a day over 24; a fact largely due to his complete lack of indulgences (no smoking, alcohol, sweets, or processed foods). He is a bit short at only 5’8” with a wiry build, pale skin, dark chestnut eyes, and a heart-shaped face. His pale golden hair is kept in a high pony tail with bangs left loose to curtain his face. Though he wears a traditional black and dark goldenrod set of robes, Prof. Zemeness has opted for more modern attire underneath; a white button-down shirt and black slacks.
Personality: Prof. Zelenius is a person of great integrity, valuing fairness and good character over blood status or skill. His quiet demeanor and serene movement affords him an air of mystery, a trait exasperated by his crepuscular tendencies (most energetic at dusk and dawn). He is well-spoken, keenly observant and exceedingly patient, wearing a soft smile almost all of the time. Despite his young age, he gives off an air of wisdom and carries himself with certainty. It takes a great deal of effort to truly vex him, but once that line is crossed, he becomes eternally cold and unyielding to that individual. The staff members are privy to a rarer, less strictly profession side of Jareth; the side that adores nature and birds, that delights in teasing his colleagues about their eccentricities, and the side that has seen the darkest side of his subject first hand.
Skills: Registered Animagus (Animal: Eastern Barn Owl); Though he is skilled in all Defense Against the Dark Arts (obviously), he specializes in Dark Creatures, particularly Lethifolds
Blood Status: Half-Blood
Backstory: Jareth attended Hogwarts in the ‘recovery’ years that followed Voldemort’s second coming and his downfall. He had been too young to have any lingering memories of that time period, but he could easily recall the slow transition to peace that followed. Even the seasoned teachers that had been at Hogwarts during the battle remained on edge for years to come, as the lingering deatheaters were rounded up and dealt with. The Defense Against the Dark Arts curriculum came under particular scrutiny and any with an aptitude for or interest in the dark arts even more so. Jareth had been one of those; his fascination with acromantula, vampires and other dark creatures readily questioned by his mentors and peers.
Once his school years had passed and his interest in the subject remained unsated, he took it upon himself to study abroad. Knowing he wanted to focus on vampires and night dwellers, many of whom were known to prey upon humans, he had taken it upon herself to learn an animagus form (a task particularly difficult for him considering transfiguration had always been one of his worse subjects). Though he had hoped his final form would be some species of bat, which would have made infiltrating vampyric society a cinch, he was at least grateful him final form, an owl, was nocturnal by nature. Random wizards trying to coax him into delivery letters for him in the animagus form was a bit vexing though…
The primary focus of his study became lethifolds, a topic that had not been greatly explored by the scientific community. The keen night-sight of his animal form allowed Jareth the unique opportunity to witness the creatures grisly acts and go on to write the most thorough reports and papers on the beast. Though the knowledge came a the cost of having to watch as it hunted and devoured its human victims. At the time, he wrote it off as nature. Non-interference to maintain balance was the practice of all wildlife researchers, so why should this be any different? But now, the lives of those lost, those he could have saved, still haunt him.
When he finally recognized that the death toll began to take it’s toll on his sense of morality, he intentionally distanced himself from the study, returning to London to concentrate on the academic side of his work. When the Defense Against the Dark Arts position came open, he took it as an opportunity to return to his roots, hoping to bury the dark memories abroad in the classroom where his passion had begun so long ago.
Other: Much like Dementors, Expecto Patronum is the only spell effective against lethifolds

Will respond to the roleplay tomorrow for Lilith. (Sorry, already very late here)

Last edited:
I watched a Harry Potter movie yesterday where they did their patronuses, any reccomendations for Gabi? When I did the quiz I got a cat, then retried it and got a Borzoi, dunno if I want them though.. I did another quiz more like Gabi’s personality, and then got a stag, so I’m stumped on what to do later in the roleplay for it, and yeah, it’s early on, but I want to decide it!

Well, Kaleb’s was gonna be a jaguar due to the fact that he can get a little angry at times, but he is always thinking strategically. As for his animagus, thinking about doing something similar.

Chunky Ramen

Previously Canadian_Fish
My Patrons will be a Python, as to Gavin's harsh nature and snappy-ness plus him being in Slytherin, this makes decent sense. As for the Animagus, I'm thinking maybe German Shepard? Or a Boa Constrictor, eh, that's a decision for another day. Anyways, can we do a time skip to Hogwarts?

comic

Previously turnt3chGodh34d
i'm holding off on the introduction of my own character for when we get to Hogwarts, so i wouldn't mind a timeskip, but the character development is fine so far.
my only issue is the fact that nobody is talking about, or seems at all remotely concerned about what went down at Platform 9 3/4 as though dark wizards attacking there is an everyday occurrence. i mean, reading some posts, i couldn't help but notice that some characters seemed to simply pretend it didn't happen, which was a bit annoying, i'll admit.

comic

Previously turnt3chGodh34d
@GalacticDeg
wasn't Hagrid at Platform 9 3/4?
i mean, i get that he no doubt had the time after the duel to return to Hogwarts, but, using my understanding of his character in the books, when Hagrid got busy, a substitute would take his place. i think it was Order of the Phoenix when Professor Grubbly-Plank took over Care of Magical Creatures, among Hagrid's other chores, for much of the year until Hagrid returned to Hogwarts with Grawp.
so i'm just saying, it feels weird that Hagrid's performing his normal duties as though the battle at Platform 9 3/4 never happened.

@Comic At the start, we did point it out, and were talking about it, but later, Samuel (my character) did point out about the appearance of a witch there.
Also, the train left after all the chaos ended, so Hagrid had time to get on the train. Plus, unless you're Dumbledore, you wouldn't have Hagrid doing anything that isn't necessary for things like what happened.

@The Kitsune Yeah, your teacher is accepted.

Keep in mind guys that patronus forms mirror your animagus form, according to J.K. (barring some extreme emotion turmoil)

Also.... our characters are going into first year. The ability to perform any magic above the most basic spells going in is bizarre enough, much less that corporeal patronuses are supposed to be exceptionally difficult even among adult wizards.