• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.
Chapter 39 - Eiji Hoshino

Hollow Night

When your day is finished, ours is just beginning.

You can try and prepare yourself as much as you like, but you’ll never quite be ready for it. The feeling of spilling away into another place as you leave your body, your senses, everything you’ve ever known behind.

For most people, the feeling is enjoyable because they trust that, as surely as the sun rises, they’ll wake up well-rested and pick right up where they left off.

But for us, there’s no such guarantee. For us, anytime we close our eyes could be the last.

For us, we leave heaven each night and descend into hell.

I felt no shock, no urgency, no discomfort from the sudden coldness underneath me. The ground was rocky and uneven, though I could have made it work as a bed regardless. I didn’t want to fight anymore. I was just so... tired.

Still, when an animal is under threat of death, any desire other than immediate survival goes out the window. As my exchange with Mizuko during the day reminded me, I wasn’t safe here. Not anymore.

The sound of rapid steps and shuffles confirmed my fears. I sprang to my feet, my grip on my hammer’s handle tight and unyielding. Just as I expected, the camaraderie we’d forged, however short-lived and expedient, had shattered now that we’d been reminded of what was at stake.

In one corner, blocking the road towards 104, stood Arthur, Mizuko and Junko. Arthur glanced around the space silently, a downtrodden look in his eye, but remained firmly planted by the sisters’ side.

Mizuko was more rigid than the lamppost she stood beside, her eyes unreadable as she assessed the situation. Now was the first time I properly took in her appearance in this strange world; a jet-black gakuren jacket with accompanying hakama, covered by a long blue haori adorned with cool snowy patterns, finalized by equally black tabi socks and blue zori.

She had the likeness of those demon hunters I would read about in the manga I managed to sneak past Dad back in the day. But I had to wonder, in her eyes, who were the real demons?

The Noise, or us?

“I’m happy to see everyone else is okay,” Spoke Rusuban in a warmer tone than I’d come to know him by.

Something about him was different. Was he getting paler? And were those stress lines his face always there? It was as though he’d aged years in a single day. Maybe this whole thing was affecting him more than I’d thought.

Beside him stood Miharu, of all people, but the lifeless glare she gave me indicated this wasn’t the Miharu I’d fought side-by-side with. What had happened at school while I was away?

I was examining the others, my eyes scanning from Reaper to Liu to Daisuke when I realized they were all staring back at me. No. Not at me. At something – someone - moving right next to me.

Barely containing my excitement, I turned to follow their gazes, and was promptly reminded that prayers mean nothing in this sick game.

I sighed, and felt the last of my hope escape with my breath, into the empty night sky.

This had all but confirmed it. Juno was someone at our school.

In fact, to bring him here of all people – just how much did they know about me? About us?

As I watched him inanely scratch his head, pinch his cheeks, and look around with that dumb look on his face, I knew I was in for it.

“W-What the…?!” Nakamura exclaimed. “Is this some kind of joke? What are you all…?”

His murmurings halted abruptly once his eyes met mine. I could practically see the idiot’s emotional states cycling through: astonishment, confusion, and then, as it always ended with this guy, anger.

But there was one thing he couldn’t hide, as imperceptible as he tried to make it.

For just a brief moment, he was relieved to see me.

"Hoshino?! Listen, whatever prank you’re trying to pull—"

I had to stop him there. Just as I suspected, a familiar nausea began to twist my stomach, punch my chest, and buckle my knees. I didn’t have any time to waste – not if I had any intention of avenging Akio.

"Give me your hand," I instructed upon seeing his breaths grow heavy and tired.

Allowing his pride to, for once, take a backseat to the proximate goal of survival, he took my hand.

Before long, we were at the epicentre of a flash of blinding light, a mixture of orange and yellow wrapping around us as I felt life begin to fill my body again. Is this what happened the first time?

After a few seconds, the light formed the brief image of a chain link before dissipating completely, leaving the two of us to our new reality as partners in this game going forward.

"What the heck was that?" he gasped, catching his breath. As he shot back up to his feet, I analyzed his costume, hoping to get some sense of his ability.

I took notice of the dark-colored windbreaker with orange, wave-patterned rings around the base of the neck and arms, worn under a large orange trench coat.

The gauntlets on his arms were probably the most notable component – bulky and heavy-looking with technological circuit markings and glowing circles, as though they initially belonged to some kind of robot. Was his ability something to do with tech?

If not for the serious glare he was giving me, I would have audibly laughed at the thought.

I’d be surprised if Ryota knew how to send an email, let alone construct useful gadgets or whatever.

No – if our EXS were like our ‘souls’ then our abilities, which are the way our EXS materialize and take form, should reflect our personality. I knew this guy well enough to hazard a guess as to what kind of power he was hiding up his sleeve.

"We formed a Pact," I sighed, concluding that if he was here with us from now on, hiding things would do more harm than good; especially now that I can’t rely on anyone else looking out for us. Us? Oh, God.

"A Pact?" he parroted. "D-Did you volunteer me up as a sacrifice to some kind of cult? Is that why everyone’s dressed up like this?! Well, I’m not a virgin, so ha! In fact, me and Junko just—"

His rambling hit an instant pit stop as he locked eyes with someone behind me, but it didn’t take a genius to deduce who. As if in a trance, he pushed past me and began to walk toward her in spite of my commands for him not to.

"J-Junko…?" Ryota whispered, still approaching. Junko’s eyes were darting to and fro, her cheeks reddening. How embarrassing. "Babe, what’s going—"

In one swift movement, Mizuko thrusted her naginata at Nakamura’s throat, the tip inches away from piercing. I couldn’t see Ryota’s face from here, but I could see his fist begin to curl up.

Mizuko frowned.

"Halt. You will go no further. I suggest you return from whence you came, or I’ll be forced to put you down." There was a coldness in her voice that set my hairs on edge, and before I knew it, my body began to move. I had no doubt in my mind that she would follow through with that threat if we gave her the opportunity.

I tapped Nakamura on the shoulder. "Look, I’ll explain everything," I attempted to placate. "But a lot has already gone down here, so you need to—"

My arm had been swatted away before I could even finish my sentence. Stunned, I watched as Nakamura raised his head to look straight at Mizuko.

"…I wasn’t talking to you," he spat in monotone.

Shit.

I held the handle of my Prism Hammer like a vice and dropped my stance lower, ready to react to what might happen next.

While I couldn’t comfortably say I was ready to kill, I knew that I had gotten lucky by Juno even bringing Nakamura here to begin with; if not, I’d be long dead by now due to being Pactless.

As screwed up as it sounds, Ryota getting dragged into this was exactly what I needed. I couldn’t let it all be for nothing.

A few tense moments of silence passed, and the air itself grew deathly still as we waited to see what would happen next.

"I see you’ve made your choice," Mizuko said eventually, and she cocked back the arm that was holding the naginata. Shit! She was really going to—

I was split seconds away from hurling my hammer into Mizuko’s body when I both saw and heard an array of movements around me.

Stopping mid-motion, I looked up to see a harrowing sight. The blunt surface of my hammer was inches away from Mizuko’s face, and she was staring directly at me with a lifeless smirk.

But she wasn’t alone.

Both Junko and Reaper had appeared at both my sides, the pointed tip of Reaper’s scythe and the curved edge of Junko’s odachi centimeters away from initiating a divorce between my head and the rest of my body.

"Careful where you swing that thing," Junko threatened. "Wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt now would we?"

This bitch.

"I thought you’d be happier to see your boyfriend…?" I rebutted. "Or does big sis not approve?"

We didn’t move from our positions, frozen mid-action as though we were mannequins on display in some Cadul CIty clothing outlet. Through quick glances around, however, I deduced that not everyone was out for my neck. Well, not immediately anyway.

Nakamura stood completely still, gritting his teeth with quick breaths as the naginata tip was again inches away from his left eye. This time, I could tell Mizuko had no intention of sparing him, for it was Arthur’s hairy forearm that held the staff in place.

"Shirogetsu-san!" he roared, his gruff voice laced with concern. "What’s gotten into you? You really would have…"

Arthur’s words faded and his eyes widened as he regarded Mizuko, realizing that she wasn’t even listening. Arthur shook his head in amazement, as though he was looking clearly at Mizuko for the first time.

Her eyes were still fixed on me.

"There we go, Hoshino," she whispered. "There’s a killer in you after all.”

My teeth started grinding as I pulled back my hammer, stepping away from the group. In the corner of my eye, I noticed Kinoko and Miharu hadn’t moved, but there was no sign of Liu or Daisuke. They’d disappeared.

"Ryota," I spoke, dragging him away by the shoulder, my eyes never leaving the sight of my former comrades. "Get used to this. The nightmare is just beginning."

We’d made it all the way to the Scramble Crossing, next to the statue of Hachiko, when I finally decided to spill the beans to him about everything.

About the two nights we’d spent here. The trials we faced. The losses we’d suffered.

Once I’d finished, he crashed onto one of the benches and stared lifelessly at the ground. I didn’t know what to say – I mean, what do you even tell someone who’s been caught up in a situation as crazy as this?

‘We’ll be okay’ ?

‘Give it your best, and everything’ll turn out great’?

Empty platitudes like that had no place here, and from the short interaction he’d had with the others, I think he had already figured out that much.

But to my surprise, maybe I underestimated Ryota, because the next thing I heard was his hearty, bellowing laughter filling up the place.

“Akio, you fucking idiot,” he murmured. He wasn’t looking at me, but I could tell from the droplets of liquid raining down onto the ground that his laughter had been hiding another emotion entirely.

“You always talked a big game about helping people. About putting others first, about fighting for what you believed in, no matter the cost. About being like Hachiko.”

He raised his head to look at the marbled likeness of the aforementioned, and I could now see that his face had become home to rivers of tears flowing down his cheeks. Any fight, any rage that was present in his once defiant eyes had now been extinguished, usurped by a deep and impenetrable sorrow.

“But now look at you. You went and left us all alone, you selfish prick. Why’d you have to go and…”

The words vanished, replaced by his struggled whimpers to keep from breaking down.

I felt my own chest begin to wobble, my eyes water. It was all too unfair. Why did it have to be him? What had he done wrong to deserve…?

I lifted my hands up to my face to stop myself before I completely lost my poise. I had to be strong, now more than ever. Ryota was practically a newborn baby in this world, and I had nobody else who could watch our back and help us.

In that moment, the realization that I was truly alone in this hellish place hit me hard.

I yearned for him so badly. He was always there for all of us. He never took sides and saw us all as his… his friends. He was willing to give us everything and ask for nothing in return.

And we left him to die.

I won’t let it be for nothing, Akio. I’ll get to the bottom of this sick game and tear it all down till there’s nothing left. I’ll crush anyone who gets in my way, and I’ll find a way to bring you back.

I swear it.

Once the heaviness in my heart had made way for a burgeoning inferno, I turned back to Nakamura, who was looking at me with a similar intensity. I needed no words to know that he had steeled his own resolve and made his own promise to Akio in his heart.

For the first time in our lives, we were chasing after the same goal.

Together, we’ll set this whole city on fire and burn Akio’s name into the very earth it stands on.

“Let’s go find him,” Ryota declared.

That’s right. There was only one person who knew the truth about Akio’s death- only one person who had stayed with him until the end.

In order to move forward, we needed to know the truth about what had happened in those final moments.

As we prepared to set off, the billboards above the Scramble Crossing began to buzz with life. The static on the myriad screens positioned around the area started to reveal a familiar picture.

I turned to Ryota.

“Remember those ‘missions’ I told you about?”

He nodded silently, and I allowed him to connect the rest of the dots.

Of course, we had no intention of playing by Juno’s rules any longer. We had our own objective in mind. Still, it was useful that we at least heard what the mission was – and, of course, check the leaderboard.

We couldn’t have known it then, but that next mission would mark a turning point for us.

Despite our bravado and lip service, it would reveal the truth about who we really were.

And there are some revelations you don’t come back from.

Chapter 40 - Mizuko Shirogetsu

Hollow Night

“Was that necessary?”

Ignoring Cunningham’s protest, I stabbed my naginata into the ground, eyes fixed on Eiji and the game’s newest addition disappearing down the road toward the Scramble Crossing. Their potential routes were already mapped out in my mind, analyzed and locked down.

I turned to Cunningham, my voice cold and measured.

“If you have a problem with the way I discipline our…contemporaries, you are most welcome to leave.” I cautioned, my gaze unyielding. “In fact, I don’t remember asking for your assistance to begin with. Why are you here with my sister and I?”

His expression showed hurt, a flicker of vulnerability that I couldn't ignore. I needed to know now more than ever if he was someone I – we – could trust. Trust was becoming a rare commodity.

“Because I care about your wellbeing,” he replied, his voice strained as he struggled to contain his frustration. “What good will breaking our bonds do? We’ve already lost one person – “

“And you’ll join him if you continue to think so naively,” I interrupted, my tone sharp. “If you’re as ‘caring’ as you say, then follow my lead and keep your suggestions to yourself.”

He opened his mouth to reply but, seeing the hardness in my glare, shook his head slowly and fell silent. Junko watched us quietly, tension palpable in the air. Suddenly, the billboards and monitors around us buzzed to life.

The sovereign of this dark world had returned.

“Greetings, my brave soldiers,” they intoned, their voice devoid of warmth. “Welcome back to the Hollow Night. Before we begin, allow me to remark on the developments thus far.”

We stood in silence, the weight of their words pressing down on us.

As if we weren’t already painfully aware of the ‘developments.’

As if those ‘developments’ hadn’t already twisted our perceptions, forcing us to question everything and everyone around us. A dark rage simmered within me.

“I understand that one of you did not survive to see the end of the last night. My condolences especially to his previous partner, Resolution. May you live on to embody your fallen comrade’s strength and integrity in their final moments.”

Hollow, meaningless platitudes. They spoke of someone they knew nothing about – someone’s friend, someone’s son, condemned to death in this twisted game. My fists clenched harder than I could control.

Juno must pay.

But first, survival. We needed a strategy. No creature, no organization, no entity is without a flaw. Not even Juno. I had to believe that, regardless of whether or not I truly found it plausible.

“Indeed, I have enlisted a new warrior to take their place in this battle for survival. To you, my newest recruit, may you awaken the strength you require to thrive in this valley of death. To the others, this decision was made to keep the game more interesting; I do not plan on repeating such an action in future cases, so tread carefully.”

‘More interesting’? For Juno? Was this game solely for their amusement? I had considered the possibility of others watching, but what did that mean? That somewhere, people were observing us, trapped in this endless cycle, fighting for our lives?

I pushed those thoughts aside as the moment I’d been waiting for arrived.

“With that now taken care of,” Juno continued, their voice cutting through the tension. “Allow me to introduce tonight’s mission.”

Here it was.

I stood with bated breath, glancing at the others before the game master began their exposition. My heart skipped a beat when I caught Rusuban glancing back at me, his eyes resolute but his appearance betraying some kind of weakness or illness.

This was strange; any real-world maladies shouldn’t carry over to our forms in this realm.

As if reading my thoughts, he gave a simple yet firm nod and turned his direction back to the billboard. I nodded back. For a moment, I thought I saw Kozuki’s scarlet eyes dart in my direction, but when I blinked, her attention was also on Juno.

I fought against the frown forming on my lips, pushing my paranoia aside in favor of rationality. Rationally, I had no doubt that Kinoko would keep the promise we made on the rooftop that day.

He would if he valued his wellbeing, at any rate.

I settled my gaze back onto Juno as their distorted, static-filled tone began to reverberate through the shadowed streets.

“Tonight, I am afraid that one person among you is being hunted.”

I took a sharp, involuntary inhale. Hunted? Just where was this going?

“A deadly group of Noise has infiltrated this realm and is banding together to assassinate one of you in particular, though they are prepared to eliminate any and all who get in their way,” Juno continued.

“These Noise are nothing like what you’ve encountered thus far, my brave warriors. They are cunning, ruthless, and will stop at nothing to achieve their goal of ending one of your lives tonight.”

I didn’t like this one bit.

We’d been struggling more and more as the nights progressed, getting by only through tactics and teamwork. I could only imagine things getting more difficult as time went on.

Tonight would’ve been the opportunity to level up our abilities, but if Arthur or, even worse, Junko ended up being the ‘target’ here, what hope did we have of surviving?

“Before I inform you who has been randomly selected as the target, please familiarize yourselves with the current leaderboard standings.”

Juno’s shrouded likeness dissipated, replaced by the current rankings on the leaderboard:

1. Yuki no Yūrei & Reaper – 66 Points

2. Resolution & Rush – 55 Points

3. The Twisted & Scarecrow – 41 Points

4. Cordyceps & Red – 39 Points

5. Kumo & Fenrir – 26 Points

There was no joy in my heart at seeing I had made first place alongside my partner.

While Juno hadn’t explicitly stated their criteria for awarding points, anyone could tell that my high placement was due to Reaper, who had likely been working with Daisuke to kill as many Noise as possible and level up their abilities since the game began, further evidenced by the latter’s rise from last place to third in a single night.

I was kicking myself for not following suit. I had relied too much on others. A mistake that would not be repeated.

Still, I had to wonder – what was the point of showing us the leaderboard now, of all times? So far, it had had no impact on anything and only served as secondary motivation at best…

I closed my eyes and allowed myself to fall deep, deep in thought.

We’re in a game – a game whose purpose is to be ‘entertaining’ or ‘interesting’ rather than ‘fair.’

We’ve just been told that one person among us is to be hunted, and then shown this leaderboard that ranks each pairing based on points.

We asked about these very same ranks before, hadn’t we? What did Juno say about the rankings on that first night?

Based on your actions during each night…” I caught onto the thread and began to follow it, recalling each and every detail of Juno’s words on the first night.

There are various ways to earn ‘points,’ such as slaying more powerful Noise, completing the assigned mission, and so on…

The picture became fuzzy from that point onward, though I was certain they had mentioned something about including their own judgment in how they awarded points. I had no way of knowing exactly what this meant, but that didn’t matter.

Think.

If you were Juno, how could you incorporate the leaderboard to make things more—

My heart dropped violently like a stone sinking miles into dark, impregnable waters. In that moment, there was nothing I wanted more than to escape. To take her hand and leave this all behind.

But we’d learned the hard way that escape wasn’t an option. It never had been, and never would be.

I turned to Junko.

“We need to leave,” I commanded.

She wore an understandably confused expression as I grabbed her forearm.

Despite what she’d have you believe, my baby sister was naïve to a fault. She didn’t see the world the same way I did, never believing it was out to get her like I feared.

Whenever I’d caution her about her fashion choices or staying out too late – pointless things I now missed dearly – she’d dismiss it as the ramblings of an overprotective older sibling.

But now, more than ever, I needed her to trust her ‘doting older sister’ and do as I said.

Her life – both our lives – depended on it.

“H-Huh? Stop, you’re hurting me –“

She tried to pull her arm away, but I wasn’t taking no for an answer.

“We’re in trouble,” I explained without slowing down. “Just trust me. We need to go!”

By this point, we’d drawn confused looks from Arthur and the others, who either hadn’t figured it out yet or weren’t concerned. Arthur was trudging behind us, deliberating whether or not to interfere, when Juno’s voice began to drone, and I realized it was too late.

“Now that you have hopefully familiarized yourselves with the condition of this realm,” they began, “I will be implementing this leaderboard in its fullest capacity, to reward the strongest among you, and motivate the others to… improve their situation.”

My teeth began to grind. How could I not have seen this coming earlier? I didn’t even have the strength left to grip Junko’s forearm, and she took advantage.

Yanking herself away, her confused gaze alternated rapidly between me, the screen, and Arthur, whose expression slowly began to mirror my own.

It seemed he was also beginning to understand our dire situation.

We stood deathly still and waited for Juno to deliver the news.

“For this mission of cat and mouse, I will be introducing special rules based on the placement of pairs on the leaderboard. For the current number one pairing, I am pleased to inform you that both of you will be exempted from being chosen as the ‘target.’ Rejoice in the freedom you have earned through your strength.”

Even though I was staring at the ground, I could detect the slightest change in Junko’s body language.

The twitch of her hands, the drooping of her shoulders, the avoidance of eye contact – all idiosyncrasies I’d come to know well.

She had now put the pieces together.

If those at the top were being rewarded, then those at the bottom...

As if finishing my thought, Juno’s voice rang out, “Inversely, for the pairing at the bottom…”

The silence that followed was deafening.

Each word Juno spoke after that was another nail in our coffin, revealing the true horror of our situation.

Chapter 41 - Junko Shirogetsu

Hollow Night

By the time I noticed my difficulty in breathing, it felt like the world had flipped on its axis.

“Careful!” someone warned. A firm but gentle pressure settled on my upper back. “J-Just breathe, okay?”

I tried to heed the advice, but only panicked, involuntary gasps escaped me, as if a valve inside was blocked. I closed my eyes and forced myself to inhale deeply, gradually feeling life return to my bones.

“Thanks, Cunningham…” I whispered as he set me upright. He nodded but didn’t reply, his eyes glued to the screen. I followed suit, both of us knowing what was coming next.

“Inversely, for the pairing at the bottom, I am saddened to say that your chances of being selected as the target are doubled compared to your peers. May luck be on your side; I fear you will need it.”

There it was – the final nail in the coffin. I couldn’t trust in the slim chance that someone else would be picked. I knew that, as surely as the sun would rise tomorrow for the rest of the world, either Arthur or I would be marked for death.

This is what Mizuko was trying to warn me about. She knew that, one way or another, our last-place standing would come back to bite us – and in this case, that bite was a death sentence.

I glanced at Mizuko. While she looked back at me, her eyes held no recognition or awareness. A vacant lifelessness clouded her face as though she were somewhere else entirely.

I turned back to the screen, steadying my breaths as I awaited the confirmation.

“Without further delay, I will now reveal the identity of the hunted.”

Juno’s image vanished, replaced by a display with the fields ‘Name’ and a square border underneath, likely for a picture. Within seconds, the previously blank space began to cycle rapidly through names and images.

Arthur’s name and picture flashed by, followed by Hoshino, Kozuki, and more. The speed at which the options cycled gradually slowed. I couldn’t bear to watch anymore.

I closed my eyes, biting my bottom lip until the taste of iron filled my mouth.

The cycling sounds suddenly stopped, followed by a collective gasp.

Slowly, I opened my eyes to take in the horrifying sight.

I turned to Arthur, whose face was eerily pale. He was frozen in a mix of shock and anger, still processing what his eyes were telling him.

Rusuban, from a distance, frowned but didn’t look away from the screen. I couldn’t see Kozuki’s face from where I stood, though she remained rigid and completely still.

Finally – finally – I turned to look at my older sister.

A sudden impact struck the back of my head, and my vision faded to black.

The air was colder when I came to, the terrain beneath me smooth and unfamiliar. My head pounded. As my faculties returned, so did my recollection of the last events I had witnessed.

H-Had I been captured already?!

Wasting no time to survey my surroundings, I leapt to my feet, gripping my odachi’s handle. I quickly released it.

“S-Sis?” I muttered, confusion clouding my thoughts. “What just happened? One second I was watching the selection and then…”

She leaned against the railing of the high-rise building we were on, arms folded, eyeing me without a flicker of anxiety. I knew that look. Contrary to appearances, this was the most stressed I’d seen her in a long while.

The wind whispered against her jacket, swaying it softly. The sky was so clear up here, it almost alleviated the deep uneasiness I felt, as if the moon itself was watching me.

“I had to make sure you would comply this time,” she said nonchalantly. “Your life depended on it, after all.”

She’d knocked me out! Anger surged in my stomach but dissipated immediately upon hearing the latter half of her sentence. She was right. I saw whose name was on that screen.

I swallowed my anger and focused on the urgent matters at hand.

“Where is he?” I asked. Her eyes darted to a spot just behind me, at my four o’clock. I followed her gaze.

Arthur’s broad, suited back was turned to us, his fur sashaying with the breeze. He stood deathly still.

I glanced back at Mizuko, who nodded in Arthur’s direction as if to say, “Make it quick. We need to move.”

Sighing, I trudged over to Arthur’s side, laying a hand on the railing. I looked up at him to see that he was closing his eyes, his chest rising and falling steadily. I couldn’t help but envy how peaceful he looked, given the circumstances.

“I’m sorry,” I managed eventually. “You didn’t deserve it.”

His eyes remained closed. For a moment, I thought he either hadn’t heard me or was ignoring me.

“If it wasn’t me, it would have been someone else,” he responded coolly. “None of us deserve to die. We’re all victims here. Remember that.”

I sensed unspoken words, but there was no time to explore further. We were being hunted, after all.

I heard Mizuko’s footsteps before her voice. When I turned, she was standing with her arms folded, looking directly at us. Cunningham still hadn’t moved a muscle from his meditative stance.

“Let’s move. It isn’t safe to stay in one spot for too long.”

Arthur and I nodded in agreement. Now that we were being hunted, nowhere was safe. We had to keep moving. But ‘hunted’ was such a broad term; what exactly were we up against?

“Sis.”

I called her just as she raised a foot onto the railing, gazing down into the barren nighttime avenues. No doubt she had already charted a course for us. Running would only get us so far, though.

“Did Juno say anything about what type of enemies are after us? What kind of attacks can we expect?”

She stared at me wordlessly for a few moments, then returned her gaze to the streets below.

“Nothing,” she said quietly, as if she’d asked herself those questions a thousand times. “Once they confirmed Arthur was the target, they left us to our own devices. We fled right after that.”

I shook my head but said no more. We were up against an enemy who likely knew everything about us, and yet we knew next to nothing about them. An enemy who could strike hard, fast, and ruthlessly before we ever realized they were there.

The more I heard, the more I was convinced we were in over our heads.

“..Hey, why don’t we get the others?” I suggested tentatively.

Mizuko grew still as a statue. An inexplicable feeling that I’d annoyed her punched my heart, and like a child caught with their hand in the cookie jar, I began to babble inanely.

“W-We’ve survived by sticking together so far, right?” I ventured shakily, my eyes drifting elsewhere. “I know we’re last on the leaderboard right now, but if we ask Rusuban and Kozuki, maybe even Hoshino for help, they w-wouldn’t…they wouldn’t leave us to die, right?”

I heard her before I saw her. The rapid tip-tap of footsteps against the floor seized my attention, and by the time my eyes caught up, Mizuko was sprinting toward me at full speed, an arm outstretched in panic.

Oh god, what was—

A heavy, unstoppable force slammed into my back just as a deafening BANG resounded through the air.

For the second time that night, I had been caught off-guard and practically manhandled. As I scrambled to my feet, I vowed there wouldn’t be a third time.

The saying had some truth after all – if you hear the bullet, it wasn’t meant for you.

Regaining my composure, I saw our environment had been flipped on its head.

Arthur, panting hard and glaring upwards, had just saved me from something. Following his gaze, I recognized where we were: the rooftop of Vegelovers. I’d only been here once, dragged by Emiko and some friends trying a fad diet.

As we left that day, my purse lighter and my stomach unimpressed, I thought, If I ever step foot near here again, it’ll be too soon. I couldn’t have known how right I was.

There was one more thing. So subtle and slight, you had to squint to see it: a red light coming from the top of Towa Records across the road. I’d always imagined the view from a building that tall, but as understanding dawned on me, I prayed my imaginings were incorrect.

“I thought I felt a subtle pulse in EXS nearby!” Arthur cried, springing to his feet and rushing toward me. A red dot, like a laser pointer, snaked across the ground in his wake. “It’s got some kind of long-range projectile weapon, and it’s perched way up there! We need to find cover!”

Before he finished his sentence, Mizuko took the lead. With no time to judge our upgraded physical abilities in this world, we leapt over the railing just as another powerful shot burst through the air, ricocheting off the floor with a clang.

As we descended in free-fall, we slid down the building walls before leaping off, landing on another rooftop nearby. From there, we scampered over ceilings, jumped over alleyways, slid under water towers, and even swung off traffic lights in a desperate attempt to maintain our momentum with shots ever-present on our tail.

If not for the life-threatening danger, I might have enjoyed the increasing fluidity of our movement through the landscape.

By the time we passed Cadul City, even our upgraded physiques struggled to keep up with the constant vigorous movements. As if on cue, Mizuko performed an alarmingly swift right turn into Usumizu Street.

I now had a good idea of where we were headed, and we were so, so close – if not for the nightmarish spectacle that awaited us just before the finish line.

Usumizu Street was in flames. The intensity of the fire formed a wall, blocking the path like a barricade. A fire of this magnitude on asphalt, which had little volatile compound content, was impossible. But alas, this was no ordinary fire.

In the infernal scene, the fire was an impermeable pitch black.

I saw him there at the hellfire’s base, sitting on a toppled-over feline-esque creature as it made pained, twitchy movements.

We locked eyes.

“End of the road,” Katoru declared gravely.

And just like that, the three of us knew we’d escaped the frying pan only to tumble into hell itself.

Chapter 42 - Daisuke Kurogane

Hollow Night

I let my mind wander as my body glided, ducked, and weaved through the silent nighttime streets, Juno’s voice ringing loudly through the alleyways and avenues. I didn’t know what they were talking about, and I didn’t care.

My mind was on other things.

Soon enough I’d reached the underpass underneath the train tracks right outside the station.

In the daytime, you’d used to find homeless people congregating around their ragged tents, talking amongst themselves animatedly. Nowadays though, they’d just be shivering around a trashcan fire, hands outstretched like they were performing some kind of ritual.

Sometimes when I had nothing to do with myself during the holidays or on weekends, I’d wander around forgotten places like these, filled with equally forgotten people, and wonder how things would turn out for them both a decade or so from now.

Would they still be here, huddling around a burning barrel with no prospects, no hope? Nothing to ever look forward to but more bumbling around until something irretractable happened?

Thinking about it never did me any good, so at some point, I stopped. Eventually, I avoided walking by altogether. I didn’t have that luxury in this place.

Running away here would only get you killed, after all.

Once I was sure the place was clear of any Noise, I hid behind one of the cracked stone pillars and took the journal I’d gotten from that Rabbit Noise last night.

I remember giving it to Reaper after they…helped me out last night, but I didn’t get the chance to meet them after-school today to find out what was in it. I’m sure I don’t need to explain why.

Instead, as soon as we appeared tonight they’d returned the journal and, to my surprise, the lighter we’d been given all the way back on the first night. If I remembered correctly, that Furusawa guy was in possession of it until he died. Why did they have it now?

I was about to ask them what they’d discovered, and maybe even share some of what I discovered yesterday, but before I knew it, sparks were flying and the idiots had started fighting already.

Reaper went off to defend the Vice-Prez, who I think was her Pact partner or something, leaving me alone there with the items.

I remember staring the journal for a long while before I felt someone’s eyes on me too. I didn’t need to look up to know it was him. Aware that he was watching my every move, I raised my head, feigned a chuckle, and locked eyes with my ‘partner’.

I felt like I was staring into a soulless mirror. Any other bozo might have been shaking in his boots right about now – but this wasn’t one of those situations. After all, this guy and I weren’t so different. Perhaps that’s why we’d been matched.

I smiled, narrowing my eyes and maintaining eye contact. We remained like that for a while until words that I hadn’t premeditated nor anticipated began to spill out of me, low enough that only he could hear.

“I’ll be waiting for that rematch,” I heard myself taunt, recalling my failure during that first night. “Until then, try not to get yourself killed, weak-ass.”

Seeing that the group’s ‘festivities’ in the centre of the space had reached a standstill, I decided to take my leave. Just as I was turning my back to exit, I found myself frozen from head to toe. There was a chill on my neck that was unlike the gust that occasionally blew down the streets.

I didn’t even hear him walk up to me when he said, “Consider your days numbered.”

When I finally turned around, he was gone.

This time, my laughing was real.

The Hollow Night was fucking amazing.

Dragging my focus back to the present, I took a sharp inhale before opening the journal to the first page.

The writing was scrawny and rushed, as if the author had penned the whole damn thing on a rollercoaster. The state of the actual pages didn’t help either, with entire sections containing blank pages in the middle of hastily written entries.

I supposed that was where the lighter came in.

Scanning the area once more, I calmed my pounding chest and began reading from the first page onwards.

With enough squinting, I could just about make out that the journal had been written by someone, or something, called Anxiety. Who names their kid Anxiety? Is that one of the lame-ass codenames they gave us that appeared on the leaderboard or whatever?

I thought back to visions I saw last night after defeating that ghost-like Noise, courtesy of that gemstone thingy it dropped. As if it could read my thoughts, I felt the object begin to rattle slightly in my pouch.

I opted to ignore it for now and get back to my investigation.

Could the author have been Kenjiro, Minami’s partner from the last game? Or maybe someone else from the list of players I managed to put together? Either way, I reasoned that reading the contents would help me suss out the identity of the writer.

So, with lighter in hand, I read from cover to cover of the dusty, aged journal, raising my head every minute and a half to check that the coast was still clear.

Whenever I came across a blank page, holding the blue flame of the lighter near the paper caused the words hidden within to manifest in deep, inky black blots. My surprise was palpable.

I wasn’t sure how Reaper figured this out, but I had the feeling they knew a lot more about all this than they were letting on.

Anyway, the first half or so of Anxiety’s journal was useless. Just entries about the stuff it got up to, most of which was feeling scared about the situation and running away from Noise.

The only useful parts were where it mentioned other people’s names, and thankfully, a lot of the names mentioned here had also featured in the list I’d curated. I was on the right track.

It appeared Anxiety wasn’t the only one with shitty parentage though, since they mentioned a bunch of other emotions like Anger and Courage and Love like this was some new Super Sentai series.

But whenever they mentioned an emotion, a specific name would always crop up not long before or after; Kin.

Takeda Kin.

Was he their master, or something? I knew he was a student at Kasumi, just like the rest of the players, who’d suddenly passed while in a comatose state. Shit, was that what was happening to that Furusawa guy now?

I kept my questions on standby as I continued through the journal.

If Anxiety’s information was to be trusted, then the rules of their game were alarmingly similar to ours. The basic structure was identical – with the Kasumi students also being spirited away each night, given missions, and they had powers too.

Theirs seemed pretty out there, though.

Take Kenjiro, for example. Apparently the dude could form his own damn psychic creations; like blasts or weapons. Imagine the damage you could do with that!

Kenjiro seemed kind of wimpy in the vision I saw of him though, so I guess maybe he used it mainly for defence.

That was only scratching the surface, too. One girl named Asuna could generate steam, which sounds shit at first, but apparently she got pretty creative with it and turned fights around that they otherwise would’ve lost.

Another girl named Inja, apparently Asuna’s Pact partner, had some kind of ‘glitch’ ability that allowed her to practically break the game. I’m sure Juno had accounted for that, so there probably weren’t any major vulnerabilities she could’ve leveraged against them, but still…just imagine the havoc they could’ve wreaked.

It looked like the progression of theirs worked differently, though. Not to mention some of the later missions got…real interesting. Otherwise, they were playing the exact same game.

The main difference came in how they handled it.

While all it took for us to break down was one weakling biting the dust, these guys managed to get through most of the week without losing anyone.

My guess? That classic Japanese collectivism.

From what I read and saw of Kasumi High, the students there were stupidly friendly, like they’d all been children’s TV presenters in a past life.

Even though most of the students there didn’t really hang around in the same groups, most were on good terms, which was more than I could say for our ragtag entourage.

Of course, you had your outliers like Minami or this Reihai girl (who apparently gave Anxiety the creeps), but for the most part, these guys were so close-knit in the game I almost threw up.

That is, until I got about halfway through the journal.

Turns out these guys weren’t that much better than us, after all. A chain is only as strong as its weakest – or in this case, most calculating – link.

By the time they’d gotten to the sixth night, it looked like these guys were pretty optimistic about everything. Until one person decided to speak up. You probably already know who I’m referring to.

According to one of the later entries, Minami believed that their troubles were far from over. In fact, he argued that this would be the time that they needed to be on guard the most, now that they were almost at the finish line.

Not all of Anxiety’s transcriptions were all that legible since Minami was known to speak in terms of mathematical lexicon (which might explain why nobody took him seriously), but it was clear that he was pretty worried about something.

The last they saw of him, he took Kenjiro and walked off, muttering something about how they’ll all suffer for not having solved for x, whatever that meant.

That was the last normal entry in the diary.

Everything else, even with the revealing power of the lighter, was just a bunch of panicked scribbles. I was only able to make out sentences such as:

Kemono’s dead!

Is it true that Ren was killing us?

We can’t find Asuna!

Inja’s missing!

Now that I thought about it, this sounded just like the crazy whispers of that Noise I fought yesterday. What was the link between the Noise and the previous players? Why were we getting their items from these random –

‘Random’? It wasn’t random though, was it? Rabbits are known for being particularly frightful and, well, anxious creatures. Could Anxiety have been…?

In any case, whatever had gone down on the last two nights was what caused the Kasumi students to all fall apart.

In the end, Minami seemed to be the only one who made it out, and even then, he seemed extremely nervous that something was coming after him in the real world. Not to mention he knew my name.

There was also Kenjiro, whose had been completely missing from the reports, even though Minami was apologizing to him in that video. Where was he? Did he make it out too? Did Minami silence him in the real world to stop him talking?

Kenjiro had also been concerned about something in that vision the gemstone had shown me. Had Minami really been behind the deaths of all those other players?

As I read the journal’s final pages and shut it, all these questions and more began to swirl around my mind. For every new piece of information I discovered, five more questions followed.

I was going in circles. I needed some time to gather up all of our leads and figure this all out.

In fact, I was so deep in thought that I hadn’t noticed the steady footsteps encroaching from behind. How could I have been so ignorant? In one swift movement, I rolled away from the pillar, brandished my kusari, and had my eyes ready.

Just a few meters down the road, I met eyes with the last person I wanted to see right now, and it looks like he’d got himself a new lacky.

“Oh! You startled me, Kurogane!” Rusuban smirked without a hint of jumpiness. ‘Startled’ my ass. He knew I was here. It didn’t take a genius to figure out how, given the ability of the person stood next to him.

Rusuban’s eyes wandered to the journal and lighter, which I’d dropped onto the floor mid-roll, and I practically saw him pulsing with greed.

“…What do you have over there, Kurogane? May we take a look?” Rusuban asked without taking his eyes off of the items.

I got right to point.

“Fuck off. You and your sidekick – before I make good on that promise from earlier.”

I hadn’t forgotten what he’d said.

I know I’d vowed to save him for last, but that didn’t mean I couldn’t rough him up a bit as a little taster of what’s to come. Think of it like an appetiser, if you will…

His sheepish grin vanished, and for a while he just stared at me emptily. I didn’t know how to interpret that, so I stared back.

As if he’d understood that I wasn’t interested in playing his mind games any further, he wordlessly nodded to the redhead, Kozuki or whatever, who now brandished a new yet somehow familiar-looking white sword in addition to her own rapier.

She started walking towards me.

With a sigh, I put the lighter in my pouch and scooped up the journal in my left arm.

This was going to be a long night.

Chapter 43 - Ryota Nakamura

Hollow Night

Too much was happening too damn quickly.

You’re telling me I got whizzed away to some fantasy world where we have powers and missions and monsters? None of it was making any damn sense, no matter how you sliced it.

The only reason I was even going along with any of this was because of what Akio wrote in that note. I couldn’t believe what he’d written there when I first read it, so I didn’t mention it to anyone, but now I’m regretting that choice.

Everything was true. These guys were being forced to play some sick game – and what’s more, Akio knew he wouldn’t make it. He’d left it addressed to me, as if he knew I would get roped in next.

Had his Dad read it? After mulling it over, I doubted it. He was always one to respect his son’s wishes, even if he never entirely understood them. Just remembering the emptiness of his eyes, the deadness in his voice, was taking me back to a place I never wanted to return to again.

It was still tearing me up inside. While I was off drooling over Junko or training for the next competition, just how much was my buddy going through? After we promised to always be there for each other…

But I couldn’t afford to get so caught up in regrets. I didn’t deserve that luxury. Not now, when he needed me most. If he’d known that I would get dragged in, then I could trust that everything else written in the note would come to fruition too – which meant I had to be prepared for the worst.

Hoshino was watching me quietly from the corner of my eye, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the screen. Akio said that, as the newcomer, I’d be likely to get targeted especially by the game’s master, Juno, so I needed to be careful.

After some more of their blabbering, they revealed this leaderboard-looking thingy.

Everybody’s names were coded, but Hoshino suddenly chimed in and revealed who everybody was, which saved me some guesswork.

She was ‘Resolution’, which made me ‘Rush’. Maybe I could’ve laughed at the pure cheese of the whole thing if the situation wasn’t so grave.

Rush, though? The name had the strangest sense of familiarity, like meeting an old childhood friend. It felt like my entire being, everything that made me me, could’ve been summed up by that one word - and it scared me.

Based on what Hoshino’d told me, you had a general inkling or intuition for what your power was before you’d even use it; like the lyrics to a song you haven’t listened to for years.

I think I understood what she meant now. Throughout my body there was a kind of pulsing feeling, like something urging me to explode and take off like a rocket. I didn’t know what would happen once I did, but I’ll admit a part of me was looking forward to it.

Heck, the prospect of just letting loose was so appealing that I hadn’t noticed the spinning names and images on the screens. Looks like the ‘target’ was being chosen.

I glanced over at Hoshino. She was gritting her teeth, her skin moist as though she’d just ran 5 kilometres in the space of 3 minutes. I guess she was just as nervous as I was, and had good reason to be. If I really was picked, she’d be in danger too thanks to this Pact business we got going on.

“Hey,” I called. Her gaze snapped to me, and though she tried to play it cool afterwards, for a split second I noticed her eyes were wide with alarm. I smiled.

“We’ll be alright. You’ve got me on your team, for Pete’s sake. Did I mention the time I led a comeback of –“

“25 points across the 3rd and 4th quarter of the boys’ basketball regional finals, leading the Tensei Twisters to victory in the decade’s greatest high school level upset?” She interrupted, clearly not as enthused about the story as I was.

“…Yeah, actually. You have. About a million damn times. Heck, I was there. Or did you forget how the girls’ team was the first in the association’s history to not drop a single game in their journey to getting the trophy?”

I scowled comically.

“Show off.”

“Look who’s talking.”

We turned away then, our attention back onto the screen. The rate at which names were being cycled through was slowing down, and it wouldn’t be long now until we knew who the target would be.

Despite all this, I couldn’t fight the smile that fought its way onto my lips. It looked like Hoshino couldn’t either.

Which made it all the more heartbreaking when it was revealed who was being hunted tonight.

It didn’t sink in at first, I’ll admit.

When they showed the name ‘Fenrir’ with the picture of that one English transfer in third-year, with the cool blue eyes and chestnut brown hair, I was more surprised that it hadn’t been me picked.

Judging from what I’d been told, it seemed pretty on-brand for this ‘Juno’ person to increase the chances of the bottom pairing getting selected, only to choose someone entirely different; say, the new kid on the block.

It was when the relief and (fine, joy) finally faded that I recalled who his partner was.

“…Oh shit.” I remember exclaiming. “W-Wait, isn’t he…?”

Hoshino turned toward me slowly, holding her palms out with stern eyes as if she already knew where this was going. It didn’t matter if she knew or not. She wasn’t going to stop me.

“I’m going after them, right now.” I declared, marching off in the direction of Center Street. As I was moving, there was a flash of light behind me before Hoshino appeared in front of me.

So that was her special sauce, eh?

“Just wait, damnit!” She instructed through gritted teeth. “It isn’t that simple!”

I hoped my facial expression did a good job of displaying my exasperation.

“What? Hell yeah it is that simple! This Fenrir guy being targeted means that Junko’s in danger now too. I don’t know how strong they are, but from what this masked guy said, they’re in some deep shit, Hoshino. If we don’t get over there and help, they could – “

“Just think about it for a second, you idiot!” She screamed. The sudden explosion caught me slightly off guard, but I had the feeling this had been long overdue.

Like she’d even surprised herself with the sudden outburst, she briefly broke eye contact, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath before continuing.

“Look, Mizuko’s gonna be with them.” She began, the constraint evident in her tone. “You know, the one who almost stabbed you in your fucking throat a few minutes ago? Yeah, her. And I don’t have time to go into this with you right now, but I want you to know one thing.”

She looked me dead in the eye.

“She’d sooner kill us and absorb our EXS if it gave her even the smallest chance of doing a better job protecting her sister. Even you can see that much, right?”

Even me? This girl didn’t know half of what I did. The truth was that no matter who’d been picked, I would’ve gone to help them anyway. That was what I’d been instructed to do. But now that Junko was in the line of fire, there was no way in hell I’d be leaving her to die. I’ll never make that mistake again.

“I don’t give a shit what she does to me,” I spat. “Junko needs me, and that’s final. I’m going.”

I had barged past her, and was about to sprint off back to the others when I felt something grip my collar, holding me in place. Before I could even react, I was flying backwards, past Hoshino and tumbling onto the ground. Jesus, what was that strength?

“You’re staying here, Nakamura.” Hoshino’s face was unlike anything I’d ever seen. “I did not get a second chance at this only to have you fuck it all up.”

I had a feeling it might have come to this. As I got back onto my feet, I weighed up my options. I didn’t actually need to beat her, come to think of it – just make it past her and get enough distance so she couldn’t catch me. Simple.

It was meant to be simple anyway. Until Juno started calling our names.

“Resolution, Rush – my apologies. Was I interrupting something?”

Was the broadcast still going on? What was there even left to say? But then, if this was going out to everybody, why call our names specifically?

We were both silent, likely because I was looking for an opportunity to blow past her and she was watching me like a hawk in response.

“…Regardless, there is something the two of you should be aware of.” Juno continued, ignoring the room’s atmosphere. “There is a secret opportunity I wish to make the players outside of the target pairing aware of.”

Okay, now they had my attention. Secret opportunity? Where were they going with this?

“You see, I understand that after…recent events, you are all beginning to realize the importance of seeking your own strength and not becoming excessively reliant on one another.” They noted.

“Thus, in spirit of this newfound philosophy, I have mandated the following rule: if the target is eliminated by a fellow player instead of by the Noise, that player – and their partner – will receive double the amount of EXS from the killing, as opposed to the normal amount.”

I don’t think my jaw could have dropped any further down. What in the actual fuck? So you’re telling me that, in addition to this mercenary group of monsters lurking about somewhere in the city, we have to worry about other players too?

Eiji had warned me – she’d warned me that, with Akio’s ‘elimination’, relations between everyone had grown all kinds of tense.

Shit, now that I think about it, I remember seeing social media stories mentioning that Katoru and Kurogane had gotten into some kind of scrap. Had that been about what went down here the night before?

Either way, I’d learned first-hand that the other players weren’t friends anymore, and that was putting it lightly. I think at this point, even Eiji would –

I glanced over in her direction, and my heart stopped. Just like that.

“Naturally, I’ve kept this a secret from the targeted pair, and Yuki no Yurei, who seems to be in allegiance with them. But do be wary, my young warriors…” Juno croned onwards.

I started to run.

“For the Noise and the target pairing will surely only be the beginning of your troubles tonight.”

They were right.

Eiji was gone.

Chapter 44 - Arthur Cunningham

Hollow Night

I stood at the brink of another confrontation. Another moment where my actions could decide whether someone’s son, daughter, sister, or brother would see another sunrise.

The image of Edvard Munch's tortured figure in The Scream flashed in my mind; that raw, distorted face perfectly mirrored the turbulence in my heart.

The pain was excruciating. Knowing that your very existence threatened the wellbeing of others, especially the ones you cared for most. Yet, giving up your life would only hasten the outcome you desperately wished to avoid.

Still, as unwelcome as this situation was, it wasn't entirely unfamiliar. No. I had been a burden since the day I was born. The stakes had simply risen higher.

As a child, I imagined myself as a knight in shining armor, strong and unyielding, protecting those I loved. But reality was far grimmer. My worthless, sickly body had betrayed me time and again, and my mother’s tired eyes were a constant reminder of the burden I placed on her. Now, it seemed, I had transferred that burden to Mizuko and Junko.

With a leaden weight in my chest, I trailed slightly behind the sisters as they took a sharp right into Usumizu Street, just as we had planned while Junko was unconscious. Mizuko was leading us to the Shibu Department Store. Being out in the open was too risky, and the store’s supplies offered more possibilities than roaming the streets.

And, while she'd never admit it, the store’s proximity to Center Street allowed easier access for other players to come to our aid. Though, given our cohort’s earlier interactions tonight, the likelihood of that was slim. Despite that, Rusuban had assured us that he and Miharu would come to our aid as soon as they could.

Of course, he hadn't mentioned how he would find us, or what was holding them up. I hadn’t forgotten the events on the rooftop hours before – now, more than ever, I was certain Rusuban was not who we thought he was. I prayed I would live long enough to expose that truth to my comrades.

These thoughts swirled in my mind as I dodged the steady fire of projectiles from the red light in the distance, focusing my essence on the rise and fall of EXS with each shot. I barely noticed when Mizuko and Junko came to a sudden halt.

For a split second, relief washed over me as I saw Katoru appear ahead. But then I noticed he was blocking our path with a terrifying black wall of flame. The air grew colder despite the heat, the night pressing in around us like suffocating darkness.

He did not come as an ally.

To his right, across the road, lay the back entrance to Shibu Department Store. I leaped at the brick wall of a jewelry shop, digging my claws into the gaps in the cement to survey the situation. I had only five seconds before the next shot.

What did Katoru want with us? We’d done him no harm and had our own problems.

Four seconds.

Had he become selfish? Maybe he wanted our EXS for himself. But in that case, wouldn’t there be easier targets than us?

Three seconds.

How could he guarantee that the Noise hunting us wouldn’t see him as a nuisance too?

Two seconds.

Too many unknowns, but a decision had to be made before things worsened.

One second.

Right on cue, I leapt from my perch as the bullet zoomed past, clanking into the wall. Landing softly, I set my eyes on Katoru and rushed toward him. With my heightened EXS perception, I could hold him off long enough for Mizuko and Junko to get to safety.

But what I didn’t expect was Mizuko speeding off in front of me to confront Katoru herself.

“GO!” Mizuko cried as I hesitated behind her. “Take Junko and run, you fool!”

No. No, no, no. I wouldn’t allow it.

Sensing my refusal, Mizuko spun around, her arm outstretched. The tips of her fingers became enveloped in a snowy white essence as a solid blue began to fill her palm.

I halted in my tracks, a few paces in front of her. I couldn’t look away.

“I can take care of this riffraff,” she said firmly, nodding towards Liu. In the distance, I saw him perched atop a black mass, completely still.

“Take Junko and run. Stick to the plan. I will rendezvous with you once I’m done here.”

My shoulders began to shake. Katoru was strong – too strong. Especially with the Tainted, Mizuko would be—

An ear-splitting boom shocked me back to my senses. I turned around too late. The bullet sailed through the air, heading straight for me. I had let my guard down.

If not for the dazzling slice of silver that swept down in front of me, blocking the bullet with a clang, the night would have been over.

“Pay more fucking attention, idiot!” Junko snapped, panting and raising her sword off the concrete. I stood in stunned silence. I didn’t know how she learned the firing pattern, but if she hadn’t…

Suppressing a sigh, Mizuko turned back to Katoru.

“I won’t ask you again,” she reminded. “Leave. NOW.”

This time, I wouldn’t let myself get distracted. Regaining my composure, I offered a solemn nod to Junko, who grit her teeth in response.

“…Fine,” she groaned. I couldn’t imagine how she felt. “Just make sure you take care of him quickly.”

Mizuko began to walk into the inferno.

“Naturally,” she responded.

As we scurried towards the Shibu Dep. Store backdoor, dodging another sniper shot, I swung the door open and Junko rushed inside. The last thing I saw was Mizuko readying her naginata and Liu rising to his feet before I had to shut the door.

“W-What now?” Junko inquired shakily as I barricaded the door with a nearby drawer. I flicked on the lights and surveyed the area.

The hall was dark and damp, a stillness in the air setting my hairs on end. Down the hall were doors labeled ‘Storage’ and ‘Staff’ on either side, with a final door at the end likely leading to the main shopping space.

We needed to proceed carefully.

“Keep watch,” I instructed. “I’ll investigate.”

Crouching down, I closed my eyes and concentrated, paws gliding across the roughly carpeted floor. My nose got to work.

Katoru’s EXS was so uncontrolled it was hard to ignore its scent, even from here. It was like a jagged splash of paint on the Night’s canvas. Mizuko’s, on the other hand, was calm and steady. Calculated. Unwavering.

Junko’s was somewhere in between, like a ticking time bomb. The stress of the situation was getting to her. I’d have to make sure she was taken care of, even though I could barely keep myself together.

Strangely enough, I found more of Katoru’s EXS inside the hall. Specifically on the floors. Following the trail, I noticed a massive black burn mark on the carpet beneath the drawer. This wasn’t like Liu’s current shade of EXS; it was much more desperate. And it wasn’t recent. Whatever had occurred here happened a while ago.

Upon further investigation, I found the slightest remnants of a certain someone’s EXS, piecing together what had happened.

Junko must have noticed the graveness in my expression. “What did you find?”

I stood up. “Nothing,” I lied. “W-We should get a move on.”

Junko remained silent, but I could feel her glare burning into my back as I crept further into the hall. I knew that if I told her what I discovered – what I believed happened here last night – she would run right out that door to Mizuko’s side.

I was struggling to stop myself from doing the same.

Shibu Department Store, for the uninitiated, was an upscale department store right next to Shibuya Station. Dominated by well-known, famous brand names, they sold just about everything your average person would need on a day-to-day basis – clothing, tools, stationery, and recently even food items (to mixed reception). Despite the fact that the department store was only a single part of a bigger shopping complex, the location had become so popular that people began using it to reference the entire shopping center.

Like old Greenwater back home in Kent, there were multiple different stores available in this building, from jewelry stores to opticians. I’d heard rumors of there even being a new maid café on one of the upper floors, which made sense given the absolute hustle and bustle the place had been getting recently.

As we stalked through the silent department store, however, the only sound echoing through the barren halls was our footsteps. It was dark, save for some very frugal lighting emanating from panels on the ceiling.

“Are we alone?” Junko whispered as we snuck through the empty aisles. Her grip on her odachi was tight enough to affect blood flow.

I kept my nose active to alert us to any potential threats, though nothing was coming up on my radar.

“I think so,” I offered cautiously, before adding, “Stay on your guard, however. We don’t know when that’s going to—”

The world suddenly became drenched in red. The hypermarket’s fire alarm had been sounded. Immediately, I backed up against Junko, who also sidled up against me, eyes darting in hypervigilance.

“What’s going on?!” Junko cried, her voice barely audible over the constant ear-piercing screeches of the alarms. I couldn’t focus. There were too many external stimuli for me to access my EXS detection. We were, for all intents and purposes, blind.

Deciding to trust my eyes instead, Junko and I rotated in back-to-back formation, ready for a confrontation at any given moment. We remained that way for several moments, and I became acutely aware that we were being watched.

Suddenly, I heard a mechanical clunking from above, followed by the sound of something like a fire extinguisher echoing from the ceiling. I looked up to find that a strange yellow gas was being distributed by the sprinkler system above.

“Jun..ko!” I strained, now beginning to cough hard. “Need…to…run…!”

Covering her mouth with her hand, she led the way as we scrambled back toward the main entrance to the store from the shopping center’s plaza. In the distance, I could see a grey screen slowly covering the front doors and adjacent windows.

They were bringing down the fire shutters!

Pushing past the painful irritation of my throat, I got on all fours and leaped toward the entrance, grabbing the bottom of the rapidly descending shutters and keeping them in place.

In another world, I would’ve simply broken through the shutters; but whatever this gas was, I could feel it sapping my strength the more I was exposed to it. I couldn’t rely on my physical strength anymore.

I couldn’t even open my mouth to tell Junko to hurry. I didn’t know how long I could keep this up, let alone with my breath suspended. After a few horribly arduous moments, I heard Junko’s rapid footsteps break into a smooth slide below the shutters and back into the plaza.

“I..I have an idea!” she sputtered, inhaling haggard breaths and latching onto the bottom of the shutter.

An 'idea'? Now?

I grunted, irritated as if to say, “Now isn’t the time!” but she was stubborn.

“Just hold on a sec, damn it!” she replied as though having understood. “This might sting a little!”

The other side was silent for a few moments, before I felt a stinging shock at my paws that caused me to recoil in agony. As I quickly withdrew my hands, I was surprised to see that the shutter was frozen in place.

Not only that, but the fire alarm and sprinklers had both turned off. The gas was no longer being distributed. I took quick, sharp inhales with my snout covered to avoid getting any of the remaining gas in my system.

“I think it worked!” I heard Junko call from the other side. The lights were beginning to flicker on. “Most shutters are made of steel or iron, right? I figured if I could conduct enough electricity through them, it might short-circuit whatever control system it’s connected to and cause a failure.”

I rose to my feet slowly, equal parts amazed and relieved by her display of quick thinking.

“G-Good work!” I tried to cheer, but it was taking a while to find my voice. I surveyed the area. All of the windows had been barricaded by the same steel fire shutters, the small gap awarded to us being my only point of contact with the outside.

“Just give me a minute to recuperate my strength, and I’ll—”

I became aware of a subtle rumbling, unlike the tremors that rose to the surface just before a serious earthquake. Junko must have, too, for I saw her feet become deathly still. We stood there for a few moments, listening as the rumbles grew louder and louder, until I just about heard Junko scream, “GET DOWN!”

With a desperate leap, I jumped over the shelves and across the aisles as a giant crash erupted from the ceiling above, into the middle of the store. As the ceiling caved in, massive shards of debris flew in all directions as though a bomb had been detonated in the middle of the store. I ducked behind the nearest aisle shelf, bracing as various objects went flying past.

Eventually, when the projectiles ceased, I clawed my way back up the shelf to see what was at the epicenter of the crash.

A broad, armor-clad mass almost as tall as the store’s ceiling (or rather, where it used to be) stood erect, with piercing yellow eyes that sliced into my soul.

As the lights began to flicker on and off, casting the figure into and out of shadow, only then did it seriously begin to occur to me that I may never get a chance to say goodbye to my mother.

Last edited:
Chapter 45 - Kinoko Rusuban

Hollow Night

Things were going even better than expected.

Not only had I been spared of Mizuko, Junko, and that insolent mutt, but it seemed our entourage’s ‘alliance’ had been torn apart by Furusawa’s unfortunate (but appreciated) departure.

As such, Kozuki was practically a freebie. To have a partner so willing to obey, and serve…not so bad on the eyes, either. I had undoubtedly emerged from last night’s dumpster fire as the clear victor, and I had no intentions of stopping here.

Not until I’d reached the very top. Not until these plebians recognized me for who I was; a shining star, risen above the filth and muck.

But before that day came to pass, there was work to be done, and as this deteriorating body of mine kept reminding me, time was absolutely of the essence.

As soon as the target had been picked, and I made my empty promises of coming to assist them (dream on), Red and I got to work. There was a certain someone who had had the nerve to threaten me with their filthy mouth, and they would soon learn I didn’t take threats lightly.

“I’m not gonna warn you again,” Daisuke groaned, clutching that strange tome even tighter. “Get the fuck out.”

While I’d expertly filtered the information I’d received from ‘Inja’ to just myself, I had no way of knowing how much Kurogane knew. About what had transpired here before we came - about what had been transpiring here years before we were even in the picture.

In fact, the truth about our situation here was so outlandish that I thought I was still dreaming.

It was just yesterday, during our first (and only) meeting on the rooftop. As you know, I had arrived late, but not for the reasons I gave. In fact, I would argue I arrived right on time.

As I silently crept through the flights of stairs to the rooftop, careful so as to not even allow my breathing to make a sound, I found him there.

The school janitor, whose name I had no reason to know up until then, was peering out into the space through the ever so slightly ajar door, a sharp ray of yellow sunlight shooting through the gap and illuminating his aged features.

My theory had been spot on.

“Don’t move a muscle.” I instructed, low enough so that those outside couldn’t hear. I noticed the man’s muscles begin to tense.

“Back away slowly from the door, and come downstairs. We’re going to have a little chat.”

Making sure the hallways were absolutely clear, I gestured the janitor into an empty classroom. The way he sauntered in, as though he’d been picked for some kind of prize, sent a chill down my spine.

After turning the lock and pulling down the blinds on the windows, I turned around and audibly gasped. He was stood less than six feet away from me, staring me down. Was he always this tall?

Against my will, I retreated back only to collide against the door with a rattle.

“G-Get back!” I demanded. He continued to stare. Was he going to kill me here? If so, I’d fallen right for his trap.

“They’re going to ask, you know.” He said suddenly. I was losing control of my breathing.

“…Ask what?”

He remained silent for a few seconds, observing me before finally creating distance and moving toward the other side of the classroom, re-arranging some of the desks and chairs whilst humming a tune to himself.

Relieved, involuntary breaths began to pour out of me. I had almost bitten off more than I could chew.

I wouldn’t be repeating that mistake again.

“Calm down,” He sighed upon watching me searching for the classroom keys I’d taken from him. “I’m not going to kill you. Not here, anyway.”

His eyes were patronizing, as though he thought of me as some kind of amateur. A spark began to light in my chest, though I halted my scrolling through the key collection.

“As I was saying, they’re going to ask what your ability is at some point, you know. “

In that moment, I knew for certain that I had guessed correctly. Juno themselves was stood directly in front of me.

“I know.” I replied, keeping my voice even.

“After that stunt you pulled yesterday, we can both agree that telling them the truth is no longer an option, yes?”

I stayed silent, keeping my eyes on him as he meandered between rows of desks, straightening them and wiping off any debris.

Now that I considered it, it was strange that Tensei had a full-time janitor in the first place. Most schools hire maintenance staff, yes, but a lot of the cleaning would get done by the students on duty and some of the staff.

What made this school so special?

“What do you plan on doing about that?”

“None of your business,” I reminded.

In response, he laughed a laugh so hearty and carefree I began to genuinely fear for my life. As ashamed as I am to admit, I wished the others were here.

“If you insist, Cordyceps.”

There it was. That name again. Oh God. I had gone over again and again what I would do, what I would say, if I ended up being correct in my assumptions that Juno was at our school and watching us; yet in the moment, I was more useless than a sitting duck.

I took a deep breath and started again from the top.

“You’re Juno, aren’t you?”

They gave me a look that was difficult to decipher - equal parts puzzlement and amusement, with a dash of…pride? Either way, they remained silent.

“I figured out your identity before anyone else,” I continued. “ And after only one night. For such a display of initiative and astuteness, I believe a reward is in order.”

I waited for any sort of recognition at my words, but they kept looking at me with that strange expression. I needed to do some more convincing – luckily for me, I was quite the skilled negotiator.

“Don’t you want someone like me, who can make the game more interesting?” I offered, recalling Juno’s unsettling words from yesternight. “I can bring a new kind of intensity to the Hollow Night; if only you’ll let me.”

Finally, Juno raised an eyebrow curiously, a small smirk playing at their lips. Despite finding out their identity, I was still in the deep end and they knew it.

Even if I reported my findings back to my ‘comrades’, who would believe us? Blackmail was out of the question.

I had to appeal to Juno’s twisted sense of showmanship in order to make something out of this discovery.

After what felt like an eternity, they finally replied, “State your terms.”

I wasted no time and held out my index finger.

“First, I ask that you provide me with a secondary power.” I demanded. “I’m sure I don’t need to explain why.”

They stroked their chin curiously, closing their eyes and nodding to themselves as though they were weighing up the request.

“And second?”

I took a deep breath and let loose the words that had been forming themselves in my chest. I flexed my middle finger.

“I want to know the truth about the Hollow Night. Everything there is to know about it.”

At that request, Juno displayed a grin so wide and sinister I immediately regretted asking.

“I accept your terms.” They whispered.

It was then that I was given my second ability – the very same that had been ravaging my body and fighting for dominance. According to Inja, this was the ability – the EXS - of Asahi Yoshida, one of the previous game’s players.

As of recent, I’d even been hearing voices. Murmurings and whispers that vanish into thin air the moment I focus on them. By harbouring his EXS, I had introduced a tug-of-war between my soul and his, with my body suffering collateral damage all the while.

Of course, I had also been told the haunting truth about the Hollow Night.

About why we had been brought here to suffer so. It was that knowledge that kept me going, and hastened me to carry out my plan quickly – before it was too late.

With my attention back on the present, I continued watching as Miharu advanced toward Daisuke.

“Fine…” He spat as a distinct red glow radiated from his direction. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

As if in response, Kozuki’s body also began to glow a faint red. Ah, to have an ability as convenient as that, to predict the very future! Even more fortunate to have the user of said ability as an underling.

I began to ready my abilities – both of them – and kept an eye on the book that Kurogane was clinging to so dearly. It was the key to everything, and I was determined to claim it, no matter the cost.

Soon, I would stand on the brink of destiny, ready to seize control of my fate and carve out my dominion.

The greatest act was about to begin.

Chapter 46 - Mizuko Shirogetsu

Hollow Night

With the back entrance to the shopping complex firmly shut, I gave Liu my full attention.

He was sat still, and the black mass underneath him that had been supporting his weight twitched with agony.

The last I’d heard of him, he’d gotten into a scuffle with Kurogane, of all people. Of course, I hadn’t forgotten the absolute state of him the night before, trapped inside that strange golden obelisk, and the…hysterics that followed afterward.

I would have expected him to be upset, but this was far beyond anything I could’ve justified. Just what had he done to that Noise?

“What’s the meaning of this, Katoru?” I inquired evenly.

He rose slowly to his feet, never breaking eye contact.

“Aren’t you aware that Cunningham’s being hunted? This is no time for – “

I was cut off by an ear-piercing screech. Liu had placed a hand on the dark shape underneath him - I could recognize now that it was some kind of panther-like creature – and it was writhing with pure agony.

Soon enough, its entire body was engulfed in black flame. Katoru looked back at me.

“Catch.”

He gave me no time to decipher the meaning of such an imperative, for before I knew it, Liu had picked up the burning creature and tossed its charring remains toward me. I raised my naginata’s tip skyward as it sailed toward me, my left hand gripping towards the bottom of the pole, and my right hand clamped around the top of the handle like a vice.

With one fell swoop, I brought the weapon down, the icicles from my polearm’s blade bursting from the point of impact. The two halves of the beast’s carcass dropped either side of me, still and lifeless.

I gazed forward to find Katoru still standing where he had been previously, a distinctly unimpressed expression looming across his haggard face.

“I’ll ask again,” I threatened. “Why are you distracting us, Katoru?”

He was suddenly having trouble maintaining eye contact. Jarring, considering he’d been the one to start this mess. I had no time for immature stunts like this – I was needed elsewhere.

I was about to tell him as much when, almost imperceptibly, his lips moved.

“I’m going to fix it.”

…What? I sighed.

“I don’t have time for this.” I admitted, walking toward the door that Junko and Arthur had rushed through. When Liu wanted to function like an actual human being, maybe I’d acknowledge his existence.

I shifted my thoughts toward our actual adversaries, the ‘group of Noise’ Juno had stated were after the Cunningham, as I lowered my weapon and headed toward the door. It was very likely that the sniper from earlier wouldn’t be the last of our problems tonight.

Speaking of, the shots from said Noise had ceased completely; meaning it not only had no interest in either myself or Katoru, but it had likely moved to a new spot to survey its targets from. Would it be regrouping with its allies? If so, I needed to hurry. There was no guarantee that Shibu Department Store was completely safe, even if it was a sanctuary comparative to the rest of the Hollow Night.

I was reaching for the doorknob when some kind of projectile slammed into the wooden door, causing it to erupt into flame. I span around to find Liu doubling over and holding his head in his hands, and much closer to me than I was comfortable with.

“You dOn’t…walk aWAy from me…” I heard him mutter in a voice I didn’t recognize, now dropping to his knees and clutching his hair with such ferocity I expected it to come off. “…when I’m talking tO YOU.”

Ignoring the slight shaking in my right hand, I stepped back several feet, seeking to create some distance. If Liu refused to stop distracting us, then he only had himself to blame for what happened next.

I had no mercy left to spare him.

“You’ve delayed me long enough, Katoru.”

I frosted the tip of my naginata and held it in position. It was truly a shame. Katoru and his alter-ego had made for mighty allies indeed.

“Farewell – and good riddance to that partner of yours. I look forward to his absence.”

My heart started to race. I took a deep breath, and steeled my resolve, but my arms refused to move. Annoyed by their cowardice, I thought of Mother, and her last words to me on that fateful day at Molco.

That gave me all the courage I needed.

Closing my eyes, I thrust my naginata forward, and felt the delectable, horrifyingly satisfying sensation of a blade sinking into flesh.

Had I done it? Had I really done it?

Ending the life of another human being is a line that, once crossed, you can never return from. You will have to carry the weight of that sin as a burden for the rest of your life.

Every night, before I inevitably closed my eyes and descended into this tenebrous warzone, I found myself repeating those same questions over and over again.

Are you prepared to kill? To murder? To end the life of another for the sake of your own?

My answer would often change depending on circumstance. But tonight, I didn’t have the luxury of lip service and introspection. All I had available was action, and it seemed that through this action alone, I had discovered who I truly was.

It was equal parts liberating and frightening.

My eyes slowly opened, unravelling and picking apart the scene before me. Liu was deathly still, my naginata remaining upright and sticking out of his left shoulder even after I had let go of its pole.

I wouldn’t stop shaking.

“K-Katoru…?”

I was, ashamedly, so distraught that I hadn’t noticed my naginata slowly rising out of his body, until it had fallen completely onto the ground with a clank. Immediately, my heart had began to pound like a drum. I was making a desperate grab for my naginata when I saw it.

A massive, hulking black arm had arisen out of the spot where I’d stabbed Liu, and was gripping onto the blade. Stopping in my tracks, I watched as the hand squeezed the metal blade until it had been crushed and folded into itself like a discarded can of soda.

By the time I’d returned to my senses, Katoru was on his feet, rivers of red running down his left arm. Despite the shadow his hair was casting over his eyes, I knew he was looking right at me.

Like a rabbit picking up on the low growl of a starving coyote, I scrambled to my feet as my survival instinct took over. I didn’t look back. Pacing now, I heard a shout behind me, but didn’t look back, not even as I heard the rapid pounding of footsteps that weren’t my own.

In the distance, where I had originally been stood, a singular white glow emanated from the ground. Instantly, my heart overflowed with joy. Realizing that this was perhaps my only chance at making it out of this nightmare alive, I poured all of my strength into my legs, the wind rushing against me even more violently as I sped.

I was only a few paces away from the orb that the panther Noise had dropped when a scorching heat had suddenly engulfed my right leg, tossing me off balance. The world was spinning as I felt my body bounce across the asphalt, each thud more violent than the last.

When I’d finally suspended movement, the sphere taunted me with its seductive glow a few yards ahead, just out of reach. I couldn’t hold back my screams of agony as my right leg had been enveloped with dark hellfire.

Gritting my teeth, I reached back with my right arm, resting it on the top of my thigh. A thick, frigid ice was beginning to spread down, painfully but surely covering the ferocious flames. As I did so, I raised my left elbow, before slamming it down hard on the ground to drag the rest of my heavy body forward.

If I could just get to the sphere and consume it – if I could just get more power-

By the time I’d gotten close enough to touch it with my fingertips, my hand was pummelled into the ground with a fierce stomp. I cried with both pain and disappointment as Liu looked down at me.

For the first time since my attempt at his life, I met his eyes, and instantly regretted doing so. While still coloured a piercing yellow, there were wisps of black smoke emanating from his irises like an open flame.

In that moment, I realized that Katoru’s body was literally burning out with hatred.

“nO more RuNNING.” He garbled as his head twitched. “…gIvE mE yoUR...YOUR….”

Liu’s right hand had spread out, and was reaching toward me, practically dripping with shadowy vitriol. I struggled and struggled, summoning my other hand to beat and pound away at his foot, but to no avail.

Sensing a searing heat begin to approach my face, the despair became too great for me to fight any longer. I had lost.

I laid there, like a deer in headlights, waiting for my painful annihilation to come. In just a moment’s time, there would be nothing left of me but ashes.

All that was left was to close my eyes, and pray that my sister would not suffer the same fate.

After a few moments, the heat had reached a standstill, refusing to increase any further. Hesitantly, I opened my eyes, and involuntarily widened them at the scene I had come to witness.

Liu’s hand was shaking, struggling, as if being held back by something. Gripping his forearm tightly was the same mighty black limb that had crushed my naginata, only this time, it was holding Liu back?

“S-STOP!” Katoru groaned, equal parts confused and frustrated. “WhY woN’t YoU leT ME GO?!”

To my absolute shock, a head covered in messy white hair and glowering white eyes sprouted out of Liu’s wound. The rivulets of blood flowing down his arm had turned pitch black. I gasped, refusing to believe what I was seeing.

“NO!” The Tainted cried, struggling to contain its master. “Once you cross this line, there’s no turning back! This isn’t what he wanted, you shithead!

He? There was too much happening at once, but there was one thing I was clear on. For whatever reason, the Tainted was at odds with its lord, and was protecting me.

I’d been given a second chance. That was all I needed to know.

Most of my EXS had been used to temper the fire ravaging my leg, but with the last of my reserves, I formed a small but lethally sharp shard, ramming it straight into Katoru’s calf.

Both he and the Tainted shrieked in pain, stumbling backwards into the wall. My hand was free! With one final, desperate surge of energy, I dived over the white orb and held it close as its power washed over me and bathed me in a deep white luminescence.

My despair, my pain, and my fear – I felt them all begin to wash away as the world was enveloped in white.

When the light faded, I felt renewed. The pain in my right leg was gone, my EXS restored, and instantly I knew I’d gained some kind of strength that was begging to be unleashed.

Taking deep breaths, I slowly rose to my feet, the trepidation from earlier a distant memory. I turned to find Liu being physically contained and held back by his own servant, who had now fully materialized, arms wrapped around Liu’s body like a coiled snake.

The Tainted’s head suddenly snapped in my direction.

“GO, GET OUTTA HERE!” It screamed, its voice straining. “I-I don’t know how much longer I can – “

Its sentence was cut off by its own shouts and screams.

“EnOuGh! YOU BELONG TO ME!” Liu slurred. “TO ME!!”

The Tainted’s body was then violently dashed to the floor, before being absorbed into Liu’s, dragging across the ground and screaming until nothing remained.

Silence.

Then, Liu’s eyes slowly turned toward me, his gaze piercing and pointed. Two grotesque arms of The Tainted emerged from either side of his back, giving him a monstrous, four-armed appearance. He met my eyes with a perilous edge in his voice, his tone dripping with malice.

"No mOrE... rUnNIng."

A few moments ago, such a declaration would have sent a spark of terror into my very soul. But the situation was different now. I could feel a newfound strength surging through me, awakening something that had long been dormant.

Concentrating, I clenched and opened my fists repeatedly until I felt a subtle click, a connection to an untapped well of power.

Slowly, a frosty, double-edged longsword materialized in my right hand, its blade shimmering with an icy aura. In my left hand, a broad, crested shield of the same material formed, solid and unyielding – just as I had visualized.

This was only scratching the surface of what I was truly capable of. I could feel it, a burgeoning part of me stirring to life, ready to be unleashed.

“Interesting,” I smiled, admiring my creations before locking eyes with my foe. My heart pounded with a mix of anticipation and adrenaline, each beat echoing in my ears like a war drum.

“I was just about to say the same thing.”

The air around us crackled with tension, the oppressive weight of the imminent clash pressing down on everything like a storm about to break.

Liu's eyes flickered with a sinister glee, his monstrous form towering over me, yet I stood my ground, the frosty glow of my weapons illuminating the darkened space.

In that charged silence, time seemed to stretch, and each heartbeat felt like an eternity.

The world around us faded into insignificance as we focused solely on each other, two titans about to collide.

Tsuneo Furusawa

Wednesday, October 18th, 23:49

I’m not sure why I’m even bothering. I learned long ago that alcohol never mended a broken heart – only made you too numb to feel its pain.

You’re gone.

Just like that, the one thing I had left in this world, that I could lay claim to and call my own, is gone.

I can’t get the hellish scene out of my head – waking up to find that you hadn’t made breakfast like you usually do, thinking you’d mistakenly slept in, only to walk into your room and find –

My eyes – they just won’t stop stinging. What kind of father have I been? Even nine years later, I’m still not over Shiori and what she did to us.

I knew you were hurting too. You loved your mother more than anything back then, always saying you’d grow up big and strong to protect her from ‘the bad guys.’ It was unbearable to see the confusion, the hurt on your face all those years ago when she said she was ‘going away for a while.’

That was when you needed me most, wasn’t it? You needed someone to step up and support you. To band the fort together and tell you that everything was gonna be okay. You needed your father.

But he wasn’t there.

How could he have been when he was drowning in grief too, with no hope of ever resurfacing?

Oh, Akio. Look at me. I’m a mess. I’ve been given leave from work, but that was the last thing I needed. All I have now are these thoughts for company. The house, the world, my life – it all feels so empty and meaningless without you here with me.

If there is a God out there, why did he have to make us suffer so? What did we do wrong to deserve such treatment? The more I try and look for answers, the darker the path ahead grows.

Ryota came to visit you today. I saw the note you left for him on the table. Don’t worry – I didn’t peek. I know how you boys get about having your own space. Ryota’s a good kid, and I know he’d sooner chop off his left pinky than put you in serious danger, so why the note? What did you think was going to happen to you? Were you in some kind of danger?

If so, why couldn’t you tell me or the others?

The nurses told me a girl came to see you today too, right after Ryota. Was she your girlfriend? You never mentioned any girls before. I hope what happened between your mother and me didn’t sour the prospect for you.

My son.

The more I think of the little things, your little idiosyncrasies and habits, the more this pain inside amplifies. You looked so tired these past few days. And whenever I walked past your room during the night, I swore I could hear your panicked breaths and mumbles, your tossing and turning. What had you been dreaming about that had you so distressed?

My phone is buzzing. It’s your mother.

I just saw your text. I’m so, so sorry. Can we talk tomorrow lunchtime? X

A sudden anger is flaring up in my chest. I tried calling her about fifty-five times this morning. Straight to voicemail. Her own flesh and blood is in a coma, yet she only finds time to text back now?

I’m tired of making excuses for her, Akio, and I’m tired of sitting back and watching as everything I hold dear is taken from me. I won’t sit back any longer.

I’m going to find out what happened to you, son. I’m going to find out who is responsible. I’m going to do what I must.

Hang in there. Your father’s on his way.

Chapter 47 - Junko Shirogetsu

Hollow Night

“Arthur!”

I beat my fist against the half-closed metal shutters, the gap at the bottom now blocked by debris from the explosion on the other side. I screamed as loud as I could for him to find cover as soon as I realized what was happening, and I was praying I wasn’t too late.

“Arthur! Are you in there?!” I cried. “Say something, damnit!”

Please don’t be dead.

Please don’t be dead.

Please don’t –

“I-I’m fine!” A familiar voice on the other side of the shutters called out. My legs almost gave way from the pure relief at hearing his voice. But the fear still present in Arthur’s tone brought me back to my senses.

“There’s something in here with me,” Arthur spoke carefully, confirming my suspicions.

“W-What? What do you mean?”

“I think it’s some kind of Noise. It’s... quite large. Heavily armoured with some kind of bludgeon, but it isn’t making any moves.”

“Shit!” I muttered under my breath, heart sinking.

Arthur was strong, but not invincible. Plus, we didn’t know if that sniper Noise from earlier or even other enemies we hadn’t encountered yet were making their way – no doubt the explosion caused by this new Noise could’ve been seen and definitely heard from a mile away. Not the kind of attention we wanted right now.

“We need to leave!” I commanded, kicking the rubble piled beneath the shutters to no avail. “Can you get out through the hole it made in the roof?”

There was a pause. After a few seconds, Arthur replied, but he spoke words that made my hairs stand on end.

“Junko, it’s not alone!”

I felt another one of those tingles in my spine.

Now, for some context; ever since childhood, I’ve had pretty good senses.

Tracking small flying insects - especially the fast, annoying ones - was a breeze.

I could tell when it was about to rain simply by feeling the subtle change in humidity, a talent that the weather-report-ignorant like Emiko had endless amounts of approbation for.

These days, I was even able to tell who was walking around the house based solely on the tempo, weight, and drag of their footsteps. Then again, I only had Mizuko and my step-father to test it out on regularly, so the jury was still out on that.

But perhaps the one facet of my gift that had proved most useful, time and time again, was that I could tell when I was being watched.

It often started as a dull pulse in the back of my head, meandering down my neck and finally reaching my spine as a sharp tingle. By then, I’d know who the culprit was. I’d make a few acted out, seemingly innocent glances around, not making it obvious I was scanning a completely different direction via my peripherals.

Normally it wasn’t of any real concern. Maybe some dreamy-eyed boy or another letting their gaze linger for a bit too long, often on parts of my body they had no business with.

Occasionally, they’d even be with their girlfriends, which made the unrequested attention even more unwelcome.

This gaze, however, was of lethal intent, and when I immediately span round to see a sharp silver edge flying right toward me, I mentally added another use case for this peculiar gift of mine.

An involuntary gasp and a side-step later, a sushi knife had narrowly made its way past my head, sinking right into the metal shutters.

“Uhh, Arthur…?!” I began to murmur as I took a look at my newest opponent. “I have company!”

For a monster, this Noise was unsettlingly humanoid, standing tall and lean. Its form was almost seeming to flicker and shift with every movement, as if the very air around it was in a constant state of flux.

It had hair of a silvery white, flowing like a mane caught in an eternal breeze, each strand dancing with a life of its own. Sharp, piercing eyes of stormy gray darted about, vigilant, and filled with a relentless intensity that suggested an acute awareness of his surroundings.

The creature was even wearing some kind of garment reminiscent of a kannushi - it was both practical and regal, a blend of tight-fitting armor and flowing garments that likely allowed for maximum mobility without sacrificing protection.

The armor, gleamed with a metallic sheen, reflecting the ambient light in a dazzling display. It covered his chest, shoulders, and limbs, intricately etched with swirling patterns that mimicked the currents of what looked like a mighty gale.

“Curses!” Cunningham yelled. By his volume, it sounded like he’d moved closer to the shutter than before. “I’m on my way!”

This was bad. Yes, they were after Arthur, but it looked like these creatures were smart enough to realize that they could get to him through me. Even so, they had him dead to rights in that room. Why didn’t they just –

As if to answer my question, there was a slow but loud movement in Shibu Department Store. From the way the ground beneath began to rumble, and debris from the crash began to shift and shake, I knew what was happening.

“Wait! It’s making a move!” Arthur cried.

They were trying to separate us. Together, we were stronger and more tenacious, but alone, just picking off one of us would take care of the other.

As far as they were concerned, Arthur and I were both the targets.

“Keep that Noise at a distance, and try to survive!” I advised, not taking my eyes off of my new adversary. It was giving me an off-puttingly studied look.

“I’ll take care of this new one quickly and join you in there, okay?!”

There was a tense silence as the graveness of the situation became clear to us both. I think that, deep down, we both knew that without the others’ help, this might’ve been it for us.

Even so, Arthur replied with a stoic “Very well. I believe in you, Junko!” before I heard his paws sprint off deeper into the department store. At least that made one of us.

Drawing my odachi and appraising my new foe, I offered a silent prayer for strength.

I had a bad feeling I would soon need as much of it as I could get.

There was one thing that had been bugging me. No doubt, this Noise looked a bit more sophisticated than most of the others we’d come across so far, dressed to the frills in the finest Hogwarts cosplay, but things weren’t adding up.

How did something so slender manage to throw that knife hard enough to piece an entire steel shutter?

I intended to find out.

With a deft spin, I reached for the knife’s handle, yanking it with force out of the shutters. Once I’d rotated back to my starting direction, I surged the tool with a slight jolt and sent it right back to its sender.

To be honest, I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect. Maybe a martial arts move or two? The summoning of some kind of spirit or familiar?

Instead, what I got was a formidable gust of wind that almost swept me off my feet – literally. Struggling to regain balance, I allowed myself to drop to the ground right as the knife was sent back - straight over my head, returning into its new home.

“Just perfect,” I muttered under my breath as I rose to my feet. “Wind.”

Already, my winning vision was being thrown into the gutter. Given my skillset, I needed to get in reasonably close to do any damage to someone, either with my odachi or with some lightning. Preferably both.

I met eyes with the creature, who I’d decided would be called Zephyr, as it crossed its arms condescendingly. It was still strange to see these monsters perform movements that felt so…human. If anything, the gesture reminded me slightly of that Noise from last night – Inja, was the name it gave?

Though it was likely a ruse, it was a shame it was killed instantly by our joint attack. It may have been useful to us if we’d interrogated, or more likely, dissected it to see what was making it tick.

Luckily, I’d have the opportunity to do that today with Zephyr here – but I’d need to earn that right first, and that’s exactly what I’d planned to do.

“Very well!” I spoke with more passion than intended, feeling a competitive spark begin to light in my stomach. “Let’s see if you can – “

I ceased my speech completely when I noticed Zephyr’s left arm raised and extended behind it, winding up as if about to slap something. Or someone.

Reflexively, I jumped just as it swung the arm back around. I heard it much sooner than I saw it, but out from the arc of its swing came a sharp ark of startlingly high pressure air that sliced through the now empty space beneath me, leaving a deep gash in the wall.

My heart sank as my feet made contact with the ground.

With my odachi in hand, and a seemingly bottomless anxiety having ripped into my heart, I started to run.