• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Naruto AU RP: discussion

First Exam:

• Written exam

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • ??? New exam

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And walk into the occasional lamp-post
Gap Moe!

and, instead of the side of her that schemes and plots out her every move in battle, seeing the side of Sagisō that's just straight up clumsy creates good character depth. I try to follow up an up-note, with a down-note. So after she beat Kenji, I had her bashfully blushing over the meaning of her name, and after beating Kai, I had her break down in tears in the hospital room. Se lost to Katsuo though, so I went off to goof around instead of actually doing anything.
I kinda thought that was obvious by now lel
Lmao, I would hope so.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
and, instead of the side of her that schemes and plots out her every move in battle, seeing the side of Sagisō that's just straight up clumsy creates good character depth. I try to follow up an up-note, with a down-note. So after she beat Kenji, I had her bashfully blushing over the meaning of her name, and after beating Kai, I had her break down in tears in the hospital room. Se lost to Katsuo though, so I went off to goof around instead of actually doing anything.
^this, I admire that your character hasn't fallen victim of Flanderization, or when a certain character trait becomes over exaggerated to the point where the character in question has become one dimensional with only one trait. Have any of my characters been Flanderized? Please share your thoughts.

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist
^this, I admire that your character hasn't fallen victim of Flanderization, or when a certain character trait becomes over exaggerated to the point where the character in question has become one dimensional with only one trait. Have any of my characters been Flanderized? Please share your thoughts.

Only seiun maybe.

Have any of my characters been flanderized?

A character trait should never be taken to such an extreme that they every action revolves around this one trait, and by extension the become bland figures who are no longer characters, but personifications of said trait.

Unless of course, the character is meant to be exactly like that because the main focus of the story is not the character, but instead the people around the character.

A great example of the latter can be found explained here ;

Almost done btw Shen
Ah awesome :up:

Understandable, he has been given limited screen time, and my fleshing out of his character has only begun. Btw, if Seiun somehow magically escapes, should he go back to Amegakure and join Azumi's team?

Hmmm potentially, if he shows the skills and abilities neccisary. And if Azumi would want to

A character trait should never be taken to such an extreme that they every action revolves around this one trait, and by extension the become bland figures who are no longer characters, but personifications of said trait.

Unless of course, the character is meant to be exactly like that because the main focus of the story is not the character, but instead the people around the character.

A great example of the latter can be found explained here ;

1:06

Kai: .....

Objectively speaking the characters most endangered by this are those with strong defining traits, most notably Kai.

I wouldn't consider it flanderization though, because Shen leverages the Xenophobia well, uses it as comic relief, and it matches up with Kai's backstory.

I wouldn't say Seiun because he hasn't been in the story for long and hasn't done much. A good way to judge this is to test whether the character leaves very similar impressions on everyone.

Example Kin, who if we were all to describe her in a phrase or less, we'd almost all say something along the lines of Kin x sharp objects, or just stab happy.

Kin's main trait is simply she likes killing things. There doesn't seem to be much else going on in her head. She was leveraged for exactly that purpose though, and she's kinda just a side character.

Objectively speaking the characters most endangered by this are those with strong defining traits, most notably Kai.

I wouldn't consider it flanderization though, because Shen leverages the Xenophobia well, uses it as comic relief, and it matches up with Kai's backstory.

I wouldn't say Seiun because he hasn't been in the story for long and hasn't done much. A good way to judge this is to test whether the character leaves very similar impressions on everyone.

Example Kin, who if we were all to describe her in a phrase or less, we'd almost all say something along the lines of Kin x sharp objects, or just stab happy.

Kin's main trait is simply she likes killing things. There doesn't seem to be much else going on in her head. She was leveraged for exactly that purpose though, and she's kinda just a side character.

Huh. I suppose that would basically sum up kin, so she would go under that category. But she’s mainly like that due to the overwhelming lack of pure evil bad guys, as most of our dark characters are either anti heroes or ‘bad, not so bad guys’

I mean, Zaku? He has Kou sure but to be honest right now I'd rank him as pure dark at the moment. Though I know character development is coming.

And Reaver fills that roll nicely, and really he is a perfect contrast to Azumi so their dynamic works.

Zaku has some light to him though. Refusing to attack Madoka, and even SAVING here from a lethal situation. Not to mention saving Kou, and generally believing he is doing the right thing. Not to mention that entire orphanage thing.

Reaver is also dark but he has that hinorbound Warrior philosophy, where he stopped his fight and talked To Mori like they had been bros for years haha. So he’s a tough but to crack, but it’s possibke to get past his cold, metal, exterior.

Also, Kin is expendable since she’s a jinchurki so there’s that

Shen, should I be scared for Kiro before I read your post?
Maybe...
Between Azumi praying to an angel and Kai's reference to the Book of Xeno as if it were a religious text this only makes an actual meeting between the two more interesting.
Hahaha that would be hilarious. Their dynamic would be pretty amazing actually. But it’s more so ‘Da Rules’ book than a bible lol.

Also sorry if reaver’s post was short. Kinda rushed that one :( not my best work

Hmmm, my only issue is that the last line I'd said with Yasu were supposed to be interpreted as Don't answer now, answer the next time we meet. It's because i was working from the angle of we may never see each other again.

He didn't want her to respond to him now, he wasn't ready for a painful rejection, or an even more painful acceptance as they would part ways regardless.

Didn't want a yes, because they'd part ways afterward, and that'd be tragic for them to seperate forever after getting together, and didn't want a no for obvious reasons.

Tomiko feeling guilty for what were, essentially, Yasuo's intentions from the start, puts me in a bind for my response ~w~

I think it would've worked better if that was mostly in thought.

Hmmm, my only issue is that the last line I'd said with Yasu were supposed to be interpreted as Don't answer now, answer the next time we meet. It's because i was working from the angle of we may never see each other again.

Didn't want a yes, because they'd part ways afterward, and that'd be tragic for them to seperate forever after getting together, and didn't want a no for obvious reasons.

Tomiko feeling guilty for what were, essentially, Yasuo's intentions from the start, puts me in a bind for my response ~w~

I think it would've worked better if that was mostly in thought.

Crap!

Sorry I missed that. Will edit ASAP I apologize :(