• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Dark Tournament

Should the NPC have shown Nightmares

• yes- more depth and environment

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • no-takes away from the pcs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why is everyone beating the Sinnoh League. In the games, and anime, it was the most difficult league BY FAR, until the Kalos League overtook it in the anime, due to the megas galore. Like, pick on the Kanto and Johto leagues, guys. They were easy and could be defeated with one overleveled mon.
Oh, and does anyone realize my cookie pun yet? It is super duper suttle, but I just realized it. A cookie can be put on a website to track viewers' activities on the website. Kinda like how Efret is currently keeping tabs on the organization's actions on the island. Island = Website, Efret = Cookie, Organization = Viewers. If that doesn't spell it out, nothing will.

I guess it's because the Sinnoh league is the hardest. Beating it feels like more of an accomplishment then beating some other league like the Kalos one. I tore through the Kalos league in-game using my Sylveon and Delphox. When it came to Sinnoh however, My mons we're EXTREMELY underleveled and it took me almost a week of straight grinding after school to even get to Cynthia.

To Cassie's credit, she actually went and gathered all of Unova's badges first before coming to Sinnoh and repeating the process. She didn't take on Unova's League, but it took her eight or so years to accomplish everything, and in my opinion, she'd have enough experience to challenge Sinnoh's League. In addition, she's even been battling years before her journey started, her mother being a veteran trainer who taught her the trade, added by theoretical knowledge from her father who is a scientist. There's room for argument here, but I think that's quite reasonable.

Floyd went and got all 8 Gym badges for Sinnoh, but lost to the third member of the elite four. Afterwards he went to Unova and gathered all of the badges there before challenging the Unova league. He made it to the Champion but it came down to a fight between both of their last pokemon and he lost by a hairs length. In a way, Floyds story is similar to Cassies, but in reverse. All of this took about 6 years.

Teach me sempai!

Nein, Heil Hydra.

Are you referring to... Me? XD
Both as myself to you and Salem to Cassie :p
The only Pokemon game I have ever played was Blue on those old GameBoy monstrosities. Good times and my interest in Pokemon has never really faded since. As a kid I did disagree with the pre-evolutions that came out in Generation II as I felt it was disrupting the continuity of the story. And so never looked into any Pokemon beyond the the first generation. Now more mature and understanding I'm actually having a fun time catching up but I am woefully behind and know nothing of the regions beyond Kanto... yet.

Nein, Heil Hydra.
Harsh! ><

The only Pokemon game I have ever played was Blue on those old GameBoy monstrosities. Good times and my interest in Pokemon has never really faded since. As a kid I did disagree with the pre-evolutions that came out in Generation II as I felt it was disrupting the continuity of the story. And so never looked into any Pokemon beyond the the first generation. Now more mature and understanding I'm actually having a fun time catching up but I am woefully behind and know nothing of the regions beyond Kanto... yet.

Harsh! ><
Haha, well, we're all here if you have any questions XD

The only Pokemon game I have ever played was Blue on those old GameBoy monstrosities. Good times and my interest in Pokemon has never really faded since. As a kid I did disagree with the pre-evolutions that came out in Generation II as I felt it was disrupting the continuity of the story. And so never looked into any Pokemon beyond the the first generation. Now more mature and understanding I'm actually having a fun time catching up but I am woefully behind and know nothing of the regions beyond Kanto... yet. Harsh! ><

Oh I'm quickly learning about Dark types now, thank you very much ;) Those didn't exist when I was playing.

Don't forget steel and fairy.

My first ever game in the series was Platinum, funnily enough I somehow managed to beat it within three weeks but I never got past the battle frontier. Seriously? That many battles? It was too much hard work back then.

In any case, we're gonna give you a thorough education of everything new about Pokemon.
WE'RE GONNA DO IT IF YOU LIKE OR NOT!

Haha, well, we're all here if you have any questions XD

I have a question. What's the answer to life, the universe and everything?

Black and White were my firsts, I just used my Emboar. Then I got platinum, and ever since then, I loved torterra as my favorite mon for all the hard battles he got me through. He was the darling that beat Cynthia's Garchomp. Oh, and one more thing. I know it is an achievement to beat the Sinnoh League, and that is dandy, but how would you ever lose to Flint of all the elite four. Like, Aaron would have crushed you ages ago if you had any trouble with flint. I mean, I swept Flint with a torterra, but aaron always came down to the wire.

Black and White were my firsts, I just used my Emboar. Then I got platinum, and ever since then, I loved torterra as my favorite mon for all the hard battles he got me through. He was the darling that beat Cynthia's Garchomp. Oh, and one more thing. I know it is an achievement to beat the Sinnoh League, and that is dandy, but how would you ever lose to Flint of all the elite four. Like, Aaron would have crushed you ages ago if you had any trouble with flint. I mean, I swept Flint with a torterra, but aaron always came down to the wire.

Well Flint was the one I struggled most with in game because whenever I got to him, I never had enough potions, full restores, revives, ect, to get me through and I always ended up battling him with a half-health team, until I realized I could just go back through the region and battle all the trainers I avoided to get more money.

I've based Floyd on me, in a way.

I was very, very, very poor in Platinum.

Tepig, are you referring to Supernova's post? Because I think he said Floyd didn't successfully beat the Sinnoh League and just went straight to Unova, unless I'm misinterpreting anything.

Plus, I hardly think none of their backgrounds really matter in rps unless it's for conversation. When it comes down to it, it's all in how you battle rp.

Also, as for the game, I swept through all of the Elite Four quite easily, but I struggled with Cynthia's Spiritomb, Garchomp, and Togekiss. I agree with Supernova though, that league really bleeds you dry for potions and revives.

It is a tough league. In fact, most leagues I can get through with like, 10 potions and maybe a revive. That league was something else. You know, I didn't give my character a backstory. Whatevs, he will get one as I go along.

Tepig, are you referring to Supernova's post? Because I think he said Floyd didn't successfully beat the Sinnoh League and just went straight to Unova, unless I'm misinterpreting anything.

Plus, I hardly think none of their backgrounds really matter in rps unless it's for conversation. When it comes down to it, it's all in how you battle rp.

Also, as for the game, I swept through all of the Elite Four quite easily, but I struggled with Cynthia's Spiritomb, Garchomp, and Togekiss. I agree with Supernova though, that league really bleeds you dry for potions and revives.

Cynthias Spiritomb, Garchomp and Milotic gave me the hardest time. THAT DAMN MILOTIC AND ITS ICE BEAM RUINED ME.

Just to clarify,
-Floyd Lost To Flint Of Sinnoh League
-Floyd ALMOST Won Against Unova Champion

How on earth do all of you make such long posts?! I'm trying to match their length but no matter what I wright, I fail.

Cynthias Spiritomb, Garchomp and Milotic gave me the hardest time. THAT DAMN MILOTIC AND ITS ICE BEAM RUINED ME.

Just to clarify,
-Floyd Lost To Flint Of Sinnoh League
-Floyd ALMOST Won Against Unova Champion
Yeah, makes sense. I'll go for it. Oh, and guys, make sure to get the megas authorized by admins.

How on earth do all of you make such long posts?! I'm trying to match their length but no matter what I wright, I fail.
If you think my posts are long here, go check out my posts in Grave of the Forgotten XD

Yeah, makes sense. I'll go for it. Oh, and guys, make sure to get the megas authorized by admins.
Also, no problems here for me. Liepards don't have a mega yet, and Cassie only has a Lucarionite. Though utterly useless without a Lucario, she keeps it around for sentimental value.

Don't forget steel and fairy.
Ye I'm aware of those thanks. But I was referring to Salem's encounter with Cassie's Liepard. :p

I have a question. What's the answer to life, the universe and everything?
Oh I know this one. The answer is 42.

And ye Pokemon will always have this nice nostalgia thing for me. I remember back in the mid to late 90's when my younger brother, a pre-teen at the time, came home one day after having gone shopping with our mother. He had been such an adorable and good boy that he was allowed to pick out something from the toy store. We hadn't seen Pokemon on tv yet but a few weeks earlier I had told him what little I knew about it due to Trading Card games and he'd remembered apparently. So he picked out the Pokemon games Red and Blue, somehow convincing our mother that the games were a set and that if he could have one the other would be for his brother. Back home he presented me with the games and let me have first pick and that's how I ended up with Pokemon Blue. We had a lot of fun playing the game together despite it not having any multiplayer features. Whenever one of us would get to the next town or was ready to challenge a gym we'd wait for the other to catch up. And thanks to the GameLink cable we both managed to complete our Pokedex by the end of it.
Fond memories :)

I personally like to have meat on the bone so to speak. When I write a part for an RP I take note of where it starts and where I need to end it to give others a chance to respond or jump in. When you are surrounded by multiple characters this will mean your posts are gonna end up relatively short, but if your character is alone there is no real limit.
After you figured out what actions and directions you want to take it's just a matter of filling out your posts with details that add but not distract.
You can implement parts of other people's posts into your own as seen through your character's eyes.
You can flesh out your post with additional scene building details. Character poses, expression, describe the scene as you picture it in your mind.
And finally I like to keep track of where scenes are occurring and remember to add details to complete the picture.

For example: When you could say that Floyd approaches the pool and then reacts to whatever caused him to walk over in the first place. You could take a moment to shape the scene by detailing how busy it was with trainers and pokemon playing in the water to seek some respite from the scalding sun. That Floyd had to weave through groups of trainers running towards the pool, or on their way to check into the hotel, or looking for a place to have their meal. Floyd might even have some thoughts on those things. Like maybe he'd much prefer to stick to the shade of the parasols because he doesn't deal well with the heat. Or it could be he's uncomfortable with so many people milling about him, or alternatively he might like the crowd because he can easily hide himself in it in case he has cause to after pissing of a league champion.

Writing is not for everyone though. I am certainly not good at it but I want to get better. The most important things is that you get your actions and intentions across in a clear and concise manner.

Oh, while I'm at it I like to take the opportunity to apologize when I make mistakes or set others up in potentially annoying situations. Two such things so far were when Cassie was supposed to her interaction with 'cool shades' and Salem kept cutting in. But I was excited and impatient to make connections so I blew through. The second is in my last post where Salem walks past Floyd, Alex, the Champion and the little loli in a single post without giving anyone a chance to intercede. I did that on purpose because I wanted to get his antics out in a fluid scene, but I realize that forces the rest of you to catch up or ignore it. So, sorry about that. I hope you at least enjoyed the read. :)

Oh, and guys, make sure to get the megas authorized by admins.
Ye I heard about the Mega Evolutions they eventually introduced and I have decided that I don't really like that mechanic so it's unlikely I'll bother with it if I don't have to.

Last edited:
I personally like to have meat on the bone so to speak. When I write a part for an RP I take note of where it starts and where I need to end it to give others a chance to respond or jump in. When you are surrounded by multiple characters this will mean your posts are gonna end up relatively short, but if your character is alone there is no real limit.
After you figured out what actions and directions you want to take it's just a matter of filling out your posts with details that add but not distract.
You can implement parts of other people's posts into your own as seen through your character's eyes.
You can flesh out your post with additional scene building details. Character poses, expression, describe the scene as you picture it in your mind.
And finally I like to keep track of where scenes are occurring and remember to add details to complete the picture.

For example: When you could say that Floyd approaches the pool and then reacts to whatever caused him to walk over in the first place. You could take a moment to shape the scene by detailing how busy it was with trainers and pokemon playing in the water to seek some respite from the scalding sun. That Floyd had to weave through groups of trainers running towards the pool, or on their way to check into the hotel, or looking for a place to have their meal. Floyd might even have some thoughts on those things. Like maybe he'd much prefer to stick to the shade of the parasols because he doesn't deal well with the heat. Or it could be he's uncomfortable with so many people milling about him, or alternatively he might like the crowd because he can easily hide himself in it in case he has cause to after pissing of a league champion.

Writing is not for everyone though. I am certainly not good at it but I want to get better. The most important things is that you get your actions and intentions across in a clear and concise manner.

Oh, while I'm at it I like to take the opportunity to apologize when I make mistakes or set others up in potentially annoying situations. Two such things so far were when Cassie was supposed to her interaction with 'cool shades' and Salem kept cutting in. But I was excited and impatient to make connections so I blew through. The second is in my last post where Salem walks past Floyd, Alex, the Champion and the little loli in a single post without giving anyone a chance to intercede. I did that on purpose because I wanted to get his antics out in a fluid scene, but I realize that forces the rest of you to catch up or ignore it. So, sorry about that. I hope you at least enjoyed the read. :)

Ye I heard about the Mega Evolutions they eventually introduced and I have decided that I don't really like that mechanic so it's unlikely I'll bother with it if I don't have to.

Hey, do you want me to give you a quick catch-up on pokemon since red and blue? Here goes...
Gold and Silver(Gen 2): Introduces dark type which is immune to psychic type, and steel type which resists dragon and many other types. Eggs are implemented.
Gen 3: Introduces double battles, which has 2 pokemon on each side of the field go at it. Special is split into Special Attack and Special Defense, essentially nerfing psychic to the same level as every other mon now.
Gen 4: Introduces many new evolutions to old pokemon, along with kick-starting competitive play. Moves are no longer limited to all the same contact for one type. (So, for instance, all water attacks used to be special. Now, some could be physical)
Gen 5: Tms are now re-usable. Added in a few new items and aid in breeding good pokemon from eggs. Main addition is a ton of battle styles, from triple, to rotation (triple where you can change the position of your pokemon).
Gen 6: Breeding for good pokemon from eggs is now super easy. Introduces super training to make strengthening your pokemon with giving them exp easy. Introduces horde battles, where on of your pokemon fights five weaker ones, and sky battles, which are battles that only permit pokemon that have the ability levitate or can fly. Best known for introducing mega evolutions, which power up your pokemon for that battle by giving them a temporary 4th evolution. Only certain pokemon can mega evolve. With the release of ORAS, this number is currently 48.

And that's mechanics in a nutshell. The plot was different for every region, but they are kinda similiar to Red and Blue.
Gen 2: Team Rocket returns with Giovanni. Butt kicked.
Gen 3: Two teams fight: Team Magma wants the world to be all land and be awful for pokemon, Team Aqua wants the world to be all water and awful for pokemon. Possible stupidest thing in the world. Like, they can't achieve the goal without each other. Anyways, next Gen got a badass team, so it is fine.
Gen 4: Team Galactic (My Favorite Team Eva!) is the new, and very well constructed evil team. Their admins: Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn, are a little bit of a challenge, but ultimately serve Cyrus. Now, I could go on all day why he is the best villain ever, but I'll wrap him up. Due to his troubled past and love for legends, he wants to create a world that revolves around him(Cyrus is Persian for Sun, see what they did there,) using the pokemon that control time and space, Dialga and Palkia. Now, I only know what happens in Platinum, and it is poetic. The third of this ultra op trio, (oh, Arceus, god of pokemon, is above them all, but well, whatevs) Girantina, the pokemon of the distortion of time and space, appears and brings Cyrus to its world, the world he desired. This world is a perverse version of the real world, and you defeat Cyrus in this world (Nice, tough battle with high stakes) and then take on the op league. Yay!
Gen 5: Well, this one is pretty interesting. So, the enemy team, Team Plasma, wishes to liberate pokemon from their trainers. Their supposed leader, N, gets his hands on a tao dragon to achieve that goal. You grab the other Tao dragon, and when you beat him, realize Ghetsis was the real leader, and didn't actually want that goal, just world domination. You beat him, and journey is over, since N had previously defeated the champion to become the champion. In the sequels, team plasma resurfaces without N, and now wishes to fuse a tao dragon with kyurem, the last of their trio. They get N's tao dragon, but you stop them and fight the league.
Gen 6: The evil team is team Flare. They wish to use the embodiment of Life or Destruction (Pick your version) to destroy the world, purging it of uglyness. Their leader, Lysandre, has some mental issues, I swear.

Thanks for the info, I'll look back on this whenever I'm struggling to write a post.

Thanks for the information TepigTurtwig. That was both informative and entertaining to read. It seems the plots of the games have the player be a much bigger hero which can be cool, but also a little disappointing. But I'm now motivated to maybe pick up one of the later games and have a play through. Which game would you guys recommend?

Thanks for the information TepigTurtwig. That was both informative and entertaining to read. It seems the plots of the games have the player be a much bigger hero which can be cool, but also a little disappointing. But I'm now motivated to maybe pick up one of the later games and have a play through. Which game would you guys recommend?

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire for an easy adventure.
Platinum for something a little more Challenging.

Oh btw, on the topic of Salem initially mistaking a dressed up Gardevoir for a human, is that pushing it too much? I mean I looked up the pokemon and thought it reminded me a bit of gym leader Elesa. And considering this is a world where characters such as Cilan, Chili, and Cress are accepted as human, not to mention the character in Chrocey's signature, I figured it would be plausible. Fortunately, with the way Salem is and the way I wrote it, it can still easily just be chucked up as breaking the ice by way of a joke. A, hopefully, flattering joke.
Your thoughts please.

Oh btw, on the topic of Salem initially mistaking a dressed up Gardevoir for a human, is that pushing it too much? I mean I looked up the pokemon and thought it reminded me a bit of gym leader Elesa. And considering this is a world where characters such as Cilan, Chili, and Cress are accepted as human, not to mention the character in Chrocey's signature, I figured it would be plausible. Fortunately, with the way Salem is and the way I wrote it, it can still easily just be chucked up as breaking the ice by way of a joke. A, hopefully, flattering joke.
Your thoughts please.

Floyd is aiming to become the worlds first Champion Professor you see, he knows a lot about Pokemon and their appearances so it's only natural that he'd find it funny for someone to mistake a Pokemon as a human. Of course, there are Pokemon he hasn't seen before before but his Dex is chock full of entries.

It's not too far-fetched though, mistaking a Pokemon like that for a human. Gardevoir is one of the more human-like Pokemon anyway.

Before you ask, no, I'm not making this up on the spot. -,-
Anyway, that's my excuse.

Floyd is aiming to become the worlds first Champion Professor you see, he knows a lot about Pokemon and their appearances so it's only natural that he'd find it funny for someone to mistake a Pokemon as a human. Of course, there are Pokemon he hasn't seen before before but his Dex is chock full of entries.
Oh, aiming to become one of those world famous professors, that's an excellent goal. So is Floyd a professor looking to become a champion now, or is he still working toward both goals? And do you have a particular field in mind for him?

Oh, aiming to become one of those world famous professors, that's an excellent goal. So is Floyd a professor looking to become a champion now, or is he still working toward both goals? And do you have a particular field in mind for him?
At the moment he's still working on both goals, but the one he want's to achieve first is the title of Champion.
I was thinking of letting him research the way Pokemon think, kind of like Psychology, but for Pokemon.

At the moment he's still working on both goals, but the one he want's to achieve first is the title of Champion.
I was thinking of letting him research the way Pokemon think, kind of like Psychology, but for Pokemon.

Ok awake and ready to make some comments.

First of all Ny I feel you I played red at release on a game boy original so we are both showing our age still playing catch up myself why I got a co-st for mechanics.

Now on to my co-st Tepig we need to talk. The players voted for normal pace and you are deliberately trying to rush the story. Please stop taking liberties with my npcs as you don't even know which ones are the bad guys yet or not. For now everyone disregard his post until we clean it up.

Super your writing is good, better than I was at 13 :)

Oh and Cassie Amara is the purple haired girl. The Kalos champion is willamina her name is on her trainer card.

Shēdo, or Shade is a 25 year old street punk from Lilycove City. No one knows much about him except that he's done time. He doesn't talk about his past or his family, and is seen as rather mysterious.
The truth of his past is less mysterious. Lt. Akira Hatimosho was born in Kanto, and moved to Hoenn as a boy when his policeman father transferred. He grew up to follow in his father's footsteps and joined the force. He quickly moved up the ranks as a detective. He also trained as a Pokemon trainer to specialize in cases where the criminals themselves used Pokemon. His latest assignment is to go undercover to investigate suspicions of Team Rocket involvement in the tournament.

Shade dresses in ripped blue jeans, combat boots, a white tee shirt, and a black leather jacket. He has black spiked hair and his dark eyes are constantly behind sunglasses. He usually has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He portrays an aloof and somewhat apathetic personality.

Shade's Mightyena is named Anubis.

Moveset:

Odorsleuth
Crunch
Thunder Fang
Ice Fang

Abilities:

Quick Feet
Intimidate

Hey so, while reading the whole escapade between Delilah and Alex unfolding, from their initial boasts to their food torture, to their unceremonious dive for salvation, I kept hearing this old classic in the back of my head.

So I found myself in a mood and went around looking for theme songs I could imagine being played for the characters as they enter the stage of the tournament.

Tournament Opening
Aidinia Moon
Alex Weston
Amara Landos
Cassandra Michaels
Delilah Jones
Dr. Nevashi
Drake Valentine
Enfren
Floyd Johnstone
Kossetsu Chikyu
Mathew
Salem Archon
Willamina Soren Daniels the Third

Might add more if I find something I like, and might alter ones if, once I get to know the characters better I find a theme doesn't fit anymore.

So I found myself in a mood and went around looking for theme songs I could imagine being played for the characters as they enter the stage of the tournament.

Tournament Opening
Aidinia Moon
Alex Weston
Amara Landos
Cassandra Michaels
Delilah Jones
Dr. Nevashi
Drake Valentine
Enfren
Floyd Johnstone
Kossetsu Chikyu
Mathew
Salem Archon

Might add more if I find something I like, and might alter ones if, once I get to know the characters better I find a theme doesn't fit anymore.
That is literally the most epic thing I have ever heard. I'll be honest, I was quite apprehensive about it at first, but then it really started to flow along perfectly with how I imagine Cassie and Lady battling! Really shows her raw mental power! Awesome!!

That is literally the most epic thing I have ever heard. I'll be honest, I was quite apprehensive about it at first, but then it really started to flow along perfectly with how I imagine Cassie and Lady battling! Really shows her raw mental power! Awesome!!
I am glad you like. I must admit that I spend the most time deciding on something for Cassie and almost gave up altogether because she just seems to have so much history that I don't know about. But I got the sense that while she has a tragic story, she's actually a strong and hopeful person underneath, so I went with that.

Well, to me it seems he went from silly to silly really. The Ice Ninetales is cool though, I think I might prefer that one.
Oh check out this Exeggutor, Cloyster and Beedrill btw. Viewer discretion is advised. You may look differently at Delilah after seeing this.

Delilah is officially a monster.

Tournament Opening
Aidinia Moon
Alex Weston
Amara Landos
Cassandra Michaels
Delilah Jones
Dr. Nevashi
Drake Valentine
Enfren
Floyd Johnstone
Kossetsu Chikyu
Mathew
Salem Archon

Half of these say they aren't available in my country, CURSE AUSTRALIA!
From what I've heard however, these seem pretty fitting for the moment, you did a good job picking them out. Especially Willaminas one.

I knew Australia likes to regulate what's available there, but didn't think they'd filter specific YouTube videos. Are you sure you're not on a mobile device using a YouTube app? Because that blocks a lot of random videos.