• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Trainer Life: Pokemon RP

Dex grunted as the tongue wrapped around his waste, but his smile widened. He returned his now fainted donphan. "Careful, buddy." he laughed, as he took out a small switch of sorts from his pocket and pressed it. All of the devices he planted in the Mall began to make a buzzing noise, their red lights blinking. The red light on the switch turned on. "One false move, and this whole place gets blown sky-high!"

Zion looked as the other trainers tried to escape before noticing the buzzing noise and red lights. "So that's how it's going to be? Okay then, do it. Whatever happens is on you.", he said as returned he Bisharp to it's pokeball allowing the column to collapse. Greninja tightened it's grip on Dex and begun to pull him up.

Daniel returned Honchkrow as Rose pushed him outside, running as fast as she could with the wheelchair user in front of her. Though slightly out of breath, she refused to stop until she had pushed him at least ten feet away from the mall.

"Are you alright?" she enquired, as Mari wrapped her feelers around her shoulders.

"Yeah, just fine," Daniel replied.

Dex shook his head in pity. "Don't say I didn't warn you!" he pressed the button, and from the apparel store, a burst of fire erupted with a deafening bang. As he flew at greninja from being yanked, he shook his leg, and a small device rolled up to Zion, coming from his pants leg. it went off, causing a flash of light to blind the trainer and his greninja.

Matt flew forward and landed hard on his arm as a blast of heat shook him from behind. He turned around to see the mall in flames. "Carracosta! Use Hydro Pump to extinguish the flames!" Carracosta sent a powerful stream of water, slowly putting out the fire. Matt dashed toward Daniel and Rose. "Are you guys alright?"

As the flash bomb went off, Dex adjusted his position in mid-air, and kicked Greninja in the face. Then he sent out his Crobat, who swooped down, picked him up, and carried him through the skylight, shattering it in the process. More and more of the bombs went off, the intervals being 30 seconds between each blast. As Dex and Crobat landed safely on the Pokémon Center's rooftop, he took off right away, the case of gems he'd stolen still strapped to his back.

Little known too Dex, Zion had already been prepared. He knew he and Greninja had a few seconds, so he sent out Bisharp once again to use protect as the flash occurred.

"Yeah, just fine," Daniel answered, assessing his body, and the wheelchair he needed to get himself around, "I think that my pokemon are fine, too."

Rose doubled over, panting for a few seconds, before she straightened up. "Me too," she relayed, "Let's get Daniel his medication."

Firemen quickly arrived at the burning shopping mall, using hoses and Water-types to put the fires out. Police asked the civilians what had happened in the mall. Meanwhile, Dex slid down the cliff side at route 2 and into the waiting boat. Giving the signal to the driver, he sat down as the Boat took off. Crobat flew overhead, acting as a scout for any pursuers. They were heading back home to Po Town. And as Dex looked at the gems, he smiled. They were indeed what he was hoping they were. All he needed now was the machine.

As they rode off across the sea, Dex took out his tablet and contacted an old "friend" at the Aether Foundation.

As the explosion finished and the smoke cleared, Zion took a look around. The whole mall had been blown away. "Damn, he got away," Zion murmured as Bisharp ended the protect. He looked forward as he saw a group of police and firemen come towards the area. "Are you alright?", an officer asked. "I'm fine, but maybe you should check on the other trainers," Zion said as he returned Bisharp back to it's pokeball. "Who did this?", an officer asked. "Some grunt. He was wearing things that almost resembled a skull", Zion told the officer. "Team Skull," the officer stated. "Yeah, whatever they are, their dangerous," Zion said.

"Wait, Team Skull did THIS?!" a deputy asked, shocked. "I mean, I know they're bad, but these people are normally petty thieves and bullies. I never thought they would go this far..."

"You would be suprised how far people will go these days to achieve what they want", Zion told the officer. "If an elite trainer like me couldn't take that guy down then I don't think your police force will be able to handle them either," Zion stated.

"Looks like I was wrong about Team Skull being just another bunch of petty crooks," Rose chimed, "That's easily the most dangerous thing I've seen them do. But it's still child's play compared to the works of Team Necro."

"In that case, I don't even wanna know what Team Necro do when they're trying to stir up trouble," Daniel added, shuddering.

"Team Necro? How many more are there? I just came here to see what challenges this region had to offer and it turns out all it has is crime. What a waste of time. Come on Greninja, we're leaving," Zion said as he started to walk away. Greninja looked at the other trainers before following Zion.

"Now now, young man." a voice said. "I assure you there is no Team Necro here in Alola. They're based in another region, I believe." An old man in a yellow robe, white shorts, sandals, and a rope belt made his way to the front of the crowd.

"It's the Kahuna!" someone gasped.

"He must be here to go after Team Skull!" another civilian muttered. Hala looked over to Zion, studying him.

"If you insist on leaving, however, I will not stop you." he said, "Team Skull can be a handful, and admittedly, they've never gone this far, but they've been thwarted several times before, and this time will be no exception. Also..." he gave it a moment of thought, then nodded. "There are plenty of challenges here in Alola, like the Island Challenge, Battle Tree, and many other things. Don't be so quick to judge."

'Judging from everyone's reactions, he must be well known around here.' Zion thought to himself as he studied the man. Zion turned around and walked towards Hala. "I'm listening", Zion told Hala when he stopped in front of him.

Hala smiled. "Here in Alola, we have something similar to what you know as the Pokémon Gym Challenge. There are seven Trials among Alola's four Islands, each one defined by a Trial Gate. These trials test the limits of trainers in Alola, to see how strong they can become. If you're interested, come see me in Iki Town." He then turned to the crowds. "Rest assured, everyone, we will get to the bottom of this attack, and put an end to whatever Team Skull might be up to! With the power of Pokémon at our sides, there's nothing we can't do!" The crowds nodded and cheered at Hala's reassurance.

'Trials... if they're anything like gyms, then this should be a piece of cake', Zion thought to himself. "So how far is Iki town from here?", he asked ready for the trials. Then he heard his and Greninja's stomach grumble. "Does anyone know anywhere good to eat?", Zion asked.

Hala chuckled. "There's a Malasada Shop on the Beach district just to the right. And as for Iki Town, head right facing the mall, then turn left on the uphill dirt road. Keep going until you reach the arena in the middle of town, and my house is the biggest on the court. I'll see you all there." After saying goodbye, he left back to his home.

"Malasada shop, that sounds interesting. What do you think Greninja?", Zion asked. By the time he turned around, Greninja was already making it's way to the shop. "Wait for me!", Zion exclaimed as he ran after Greninja.

If she remembered correctly, then Kahuna Hala was the one who gave out fightinium Z crystals for defeating him. Having already received her normalium crystal for clearing Ilima's trial, Rose was eager to get another Z crystal, and get it fast...

"I'll see you back there after I' e had my medication," Daniel informed the group, wheeling away down the street, "Save me a yache-jam malasada, won't you?"

The grunts outside Guzma's room heard what was going on in there. How could they not? Never in their lives had they heard Nanu, Kahuna of Ula Ula Island, yell before. But this time, he was really ticked off. "Listen, Guzma, I'm just saying this time you've gone way too far!" he shouted. "You're not the best morality-wise, but you're better than THIS!"

"I don't know what you're talking about, old man." Guzma replied. "I've always been a crook. Ever since I dropped out of the challenge."

Nanu sighed. "Stubborn as always, I see. Just remember who's in charge of YOUR team, and what kind of attention will be falling onto YOUR shoulders." After that, Nanu left, looking quite annoyed.

Meanwhile, in a busted up shack, a few grunts helped Dex wire up a machine. "So, what's this thing supposed to do?" a grunt asked, looking rather unimpressed at the machine.

"It scans energy waves that emanate from living and non-living things." Dex answered as he took the gems out of their case. "First, however..." he looked around the room. "Where did I put that Memory Drive?"

"Right here, little bro." a grunt replied as she passed the small memory drive to Dex. "Sooo, why'd we steal those things anyways? And why were you so desperate to get them?" Dex was silent for a moment. Then he let out a sigh.

"These orbs, as they're called back in Sinnoh...they might be the key to helping me find my father." As he said this, he took a photo out of his hoodie pocket and looked at it. It showed a man with short, spiky, cyan hair and a silver vest over a black long-sleeved shirt. "This was the only picture my mom had of him. I never got to know him. He disappeared when I was little."

"Dang, man, that's harsh." The male grunt muttered. "What about your mom, though?"

"Well, after dad disappeared, mom couldn't afford to keep me, so she put me in an orphanage." Dex sat down by the machine as it scanned the drive. "Then 14 years later, here I am." The machine let out a beep, indicating the scan was complete. Dex quickly stood up and began typing out the command to display the energy waves saved. "Now to compare the wavelengths to that of the orbs. He placed two of the gems onto the scanners, leaving the third in the case. After a moment, the two sets of wavelengths were displayed. "A perfect match..." Dex muttered as he looked at the two screens, the grunts not really following what was going on. "Now if I can mimic those energy waves, I could-!" Then a third energy wavelength appeared on the screen displaying the saved results of the drive. "A...a third one...?" Dex was dumbfounded. There should only be two! Did a third Pokémon arrive at that time? If so, then who...or what? Dex considered for a moment, then his attention turned to the third orb. Placing it on the scanner revealed a perfect match. Dex watched the wavelength recordings for a long time, then he grinned.

"Uh...you okay, little bro?" the female grunt in the room asked. Dex didn't respond for a full five minutes, then...

"I need to make another call." With that, he left his makeshift lab.

After eating at the Malasada shop, Zion and Greninja made their way to Iki town, easily crushing the trainers who tried to get in their way. Once in Iki Town, Zion walked up some stairs and looked at the giant wooden platform in the middle of the area. "That guy said he would be here, where is he?", Zion asked looking around for Hala. The town folks looked at him like he was an outsider, which he was.

"Ah, so you made it!" Hala said as he made his way onto the platform. "Now, to begin your Island Challenge, you're going to need this. It's a bit dusty from age, but it'll work just as well as a new one. He handed a Z-ring to Zion with a smile. "This is a special gift that is only presented to the worthiest of trainers. You've earned it for your help with Team Skull. Now, to begin, you should take a look at the Trainer School back in Hau'oli City. There you'll find the first Trial Captain, Ilima. Tell him you wish to take the trial, and he'll comply." he put a hand on Zion's shoulder. "You might be an outsider, but we in Alola welcome all. I hope you enjoy your time here."

Zion put the ring on his wrist and looked at it. "I don't know if you know this, but I've beating the gym leaders throughout every region. I don't think I need to go to a trainer school," Zion told Hala. "But I will take on this trial you speak of. Let's go Greninja," Zion told Greninja before they walked off.

Matt hurried to catch up with Daniel. "So, when do you think Team Skull's gonna strike again? Or, more specific, when do you think that particular grunt is gonna come back to face us?"

"Hard to tell," the boy answered. "Hard to believe that he's just a grunt, though. He's pretty strong."

The boy wheeled inside the ground floor of a hotel, hurrying to wheel himself into a double-wide room, booked in advance to accommodate his wheelchair. He took his pills dry, and then came back out. "I'm all set now. Let's find Rose and the others."

Zion looked at the normalium z in his hand before placing it in a slot on his bracelet. He had just walked out of Verdant Cavern after completing the trial and beating both a Totem Gumshoos and Totem Alolan Raticate with relative ease. "That was interesting, wouldn't you say Greninja?", Zion asked. Greninja nodded before looking to it's right. "I guess that's a shortcut for those who completed the trial. Let's head back," Zion told Greninja before they headed down Route 3.

Hala shook his head with a sigh. "I'm afraid he already headed off to complete his first trial against Ilima." he said. "Alright, Rose. Are you ready to battle?", he added, turning to the girl. "If so, let the grand trial begin!" Hala briefly got into a sumo stance before throwing out his first Pokémon, a mankey.

The girl fished a dusk ball out of her pocket, throwing the green capsule high up into the air as Mari the drifblim materialised atop her.

"If it's anything like a gym battle, then I sure am," she said with a smirk, "Mari, use gust!"

The attack took a rather large chunk of HP out of Mankey. "Use Pursuit!" Hala ordered, and Mankey struck Mari at quite an impressive speed. "Ho ho! Playing hardball from the get-go, eh? This is going to be one exciting battle!" Hala laughed. "Keep the Pursuit up, Mankey!"

"I won't hold back if you don't," the girl cackled, as Mari reassumed her position on the battlefield, "Using effective type match ups is kids' stuff. Now Mari, shadow ball!"

The balloon shot forth a spherical burst of purplish energy, with hurtled at Mankey with a frightening speed.

The shadow ball crashed into Mankey, knocking it out. "Impressive work, Rose. Now for round two! Crabrawler, you're up!" he tossed out a pokeball, and the Boxing pokemon landed in front of him. "Use Pursuit!"

"Mari, gust!" Rose ordered, to which the drifblim obeyed immediately, "And keep to the skies! Don't that pursuit reach you!"

The balloon pokemon floated high above the ground, launching a fierce gale at Crabrawler as it hurtled towards her.