• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Naruto AU RP: discussion

First Exam:

• Written exam

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • ??? New exam

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
I also feel like maybe all I’m saying is an excuse for me to just get stronger without complains and I don’t mean it. Which makes me sad.

Jacob is right. All of these tactics and escalating power. While it’s cool to try and outsmart your fellow rper in battle, long-term, I believe it can hurt the story. That’s all I really want, a good story. One where it doesn’t matter how op a character is or how smart the rper Im facing is. If this was an actual show, if a character could wipe the floor with everyone atm, cool, thats part of the story. It makes it interesting cuz now we get to see more character development as they try to overcome defeats and get stronger. In this, it’s almost like whenever we fight someone, we’re trying to outsmart them, not thinking about what would actually make for a better story. Like think about it for a second, while Azumi quickly defeated Kiro, if this was a show, I’m pretty sure fans would be upset by how the fight turned out. I mean, I’m pretty sure a lot of us were hyped for that battle. For crying out loud, if we went completely by tactics, if Kyuu wasn’t so generous, I’m sure he could figure out a way to end a battle in atleast two posts. Would that be interesting, probably not and that’s why I repect Kyuu’s Style cuz even though he could beat everyone tactically, he won’t to make for a good story. Everyone here doesn’t want their character to look weak, which is why we’re focused too much on power scaling and outsmarting their opponent. That’s good maybe for one on one fights but for overall story, the outcome can change so many future variables.

The way I see it, if we did pre-plan how battles would turn out, it wouldn’t matter if a character is extremely strong and beats everyone at a certain point in the story. Later on, we already know that it was just part of the story. We know other characters will get their chance to shine. With the way it is now, if we keep going down this direction, not every character is gonna get their chance.

Jacob is right. All of these tactics and escalating power. While it’s cool to try and outsmart your fellow rper in battle, long-term, I believe it can hurt the story. That’s all I really want, a good story. One where it doesn’t matter how op a character is or how smart the rper Im facing is. If this was an actual show, if a character could wipe the floor with everyone atm, cool, thats part of the story. It makes it interesting cuz now we get to see more character development as they try to overcome defeats and get stronger. In this, it’s almost like whenever we fight someone, we’re trying to outsmart them, not thinking about what would actually make for a better story. Like think about it for a second, while Azumi quickly defeated Kiro, if this was a show, I’m pretty sure fans would be upset by how the fight turned out. I mean, I’m pretty sure a lot of us were hyped for that battle. For crying out loud, if we went completely by tactics, if Kyuu wasn’t so generous, I’m sure he could figure out a way to end a battle in atleast two posts. Would that be interesting, probably not and that’s why I repect Kyuu’s Style cuz even though he could beat everyone tactically, he won’t to make for a good story. Everyone here doesn’t want their character to look weak, which is why we’re focused too much on power scaling and outsmarting their opponent. That’s good maybe for one on one fights but for overall story, the outcome can change so many future variables.

The way I see it, if we did pre-plan how battles would turn out, it wouldn’t matter if a character is extremely strong and beats everyone at a certain point in the story. Later on, we already know that it was just part of the story. We know other characters will get their chance to shine. With the way it is now, if we keep going down this direction, not every character is gonna get their chance.

Couldn't have said it better myself man.

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist

I agree with all of this except that last part. Characters can shine most definitely, it’s just that often they are neglected (like kenji, Yukimaru, or Raiku were for a while). Many of our characters have shined already, and it’s not even the end of the second arc, there will be plenty of time for that

I see where you're coming from but Shen's right, every character will get time to shine as I'm pretty sure everyone in this RP knows not to create a Mary Jane that wins every single battle they go into. Most of us here can agree that we're in this for the fun, not to rack up a win streak.

I don't know, without proper organization and leaving too many things to strategy & chance we could be in situations where characters get in unwinable situations or simply lack the fights to show off their skills. I understand your and Shen's point but I cannot help but worry is all myself.

I don't know, without proper organization and leaving too many things to strategy & chance we could be in situations where characters get in unwinable situations or simply lack the fights to show off their skills. I understand your and Shen's point but I cannot help but worry is all myself.

Worry is only natural, everyone worries. But it’s really unfounded as having open choices and actions is much more appealing as we can actually go any direction we desire without characters and impact the world much greater than a storyline right to the letter

Well, that's the reason we put a cap on power-levels in the first place. We're all here to avoid unreasonable power-up and straight up ass-pulls. How characters sound and how they perform are two different things, so no one needs to worry about anyone becoming OP because we'd stop them before it got to there.
Ok, so theoretically speaking, if someone wanted to make their OC one of the main villains, then how could they be a threat when they’re on the same level as everyone’s character? I mean, with this logic, they can’t be op to the point where another character can’t beat them. But then, where’s the threat when other characters decide to team up against the OC? You’re right if we’re going by tactics and RP skill cuz that isn’t fair but story wise, how is the antagonist gonna be a threat when all it takes is another character to help and defeat them?
I agree with all of this except that last part. Characters can shine most definitely, it’s just that often they are neglected (like kenji, Yukimaru, or Raiku were for a while). Many of our characters have shined already, and it’s not even the end of the second arc, there will be plenty of time for that
Ok, so if every character is gonna get the chance the shine, they’re gonna hv to be able to showcase something, most likely their power. Well first off, if someone wants their character to shine, don’t let them face any of Kyuu’s characters. With that said, when it’s time for the fight to showcase a character’s strength, the event will have to be pre-planned. Whoever own the OC the shining OC faces will probably have to lose or take severe damage. That isn’t tactics, that’s called pre-planning. Are people like Jacob and Kyuu gonna hv to make throwaway characters or r they simply gonna allow their characters to be defeated? Cuz like I said, if we’re doing strategical battles, it’s gonna be hard to make an OC shine against those two unless they allow their characters to lose. That looks more like pity than anything else.

Worry is only natural, everyone worries. But it’s really unfounded as having open choices and actions is much more appealing as we can actually go any direction we desire without characters and impact the world much greater than a storyline right to the letter

Which is great, but it could also cripple us as well. If one character who needs the win more is trapped by the opponent's tactic or if a character dies prematurely.

I'm more optimistic than Retro in this regard, but this open ended thing can be both a great thing and could ensure that certain RPers who are not as good writers as others might not get the same chance to showcase themselves. I worry sometimes I am not good enough against you, Retro or kyuu in fights and my characters will suffer. It's paranoia more than anything.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Don't worry guys, I just realized in 90% of the time in this RP Raiku will be ez. I didn't think about in an actual battle with Raiku v Kiro what would happen. I just thought of one single thing and thought it would be ez then. Now I realize even if Raiku goes all out he'll get demolished lel. Also I have like 2 dozens of things planned for him so ye. What should the limit be? Nothing's better than Perfect Susanoo which I thought was allowed.

Which is great, but it could also cripple us as well. If one character who needs the win more is trapped by the opponent's tactic or if a character dies prematurely.

I'm more optimistic than Retro in this regard, but this open ended thing can be both a great thing and could ensure that certain RPers who are not as good writers as others might not get the same chance to showcase themselves. I worry sometimes I am not good enough against you, Retro or kyuu in fights and my characters will suffer. It's paranoia more than anything.

Seeing as how you won the tournament, you really shouldn’t be worrying right now XD

Ok, so theoretically speaking, if someone wanted to make their OC one of the main villains, then how could they be a threat when they’re on the same level as everyone’s character? I mean, with this logic, they can’t be op to the point where another character can’t beat them. But then, where’s the threat when other characters decide to team up against the OC? You’re right if we’re going by tactics and RP skill cuz that isn’t fair but story wise, how is the antagonist gonna be a threat when all it takes is another character to help and defeat them?

Ok, so if every character is gonna get the chance the shine, they’re gonna hv to be able to showcase something, most likely their power. Well first off, if someone wants their character to shine, don’t let them face any of Kyuu’s characters. With that said, when it’s time for the fight to showcase a character’s strength, the event will have to be pre-planned. Whoever own the OC the shining OC faces will probably have to lose or take severe damage. That isn’t tactics, that’s called pre-planning. Are people like Jacob and Kyuu gonna hv to make throwaway characters or r they simply gonna allow their characters to be defeated? Cuz like I said, if we’re doing strategical battles, it’s gonna be hard to make an OC shine against those two unless they allow their characters to lose. That looks more like pity than anything else.

•in regard to this, I’m fine with them getting stronger and more power, I just didn’t like them getting 3 unique abilities in the span of two weeks...that’s just...no. They would require getting good explanations, a credible path to the power, and other things. For example, if characters managed to find techniques or tactics that kill off major ones, then that’s not only a big moment for your character, but a gateway to be noted as being stronger.

•Kyuu shouldn’t be put on a pedestal. She is like the rest of us, a Rper. She shouldnt pay a price for being good at what she does, so don’t compare her to people. And Azumi, whom everyone thought was weaker that Kiro defeated Kiro easily, same with Kai’s battle. Things happen that you won’t expect, making sudden character shining moments like Katuso’s and Tomiko’s. Heck, hinata’s shining moment is when she was being defeated

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Don't worry guys, I just realized in 90% of the time in this RP Raiku will be ez. I didn't think about in an actual battle with Raiku v Kiro what would happen. I just thought of one single thing and thought it would be ez then. Now I realize even if Raiku goes all out he'll get demolished lel. Also I have like 2 dozens of things planned for him so ye. What should the limit be? Nothing's better than Perfect Susanoo which I thought was allowed.
... I don't think I understand what it means to make a good story rereading this post and will probably worsen this RP if I stay...

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
•in regard to this, I’m fine with them getting stronger and more power, I just didn’t like them getting 3 unique abilities in the span of two weeks...that’s just...no. They would require getting good explanations, a credible path to the power, and other things. For example, if characters managed to find techniques or tactics that kill off major ones, then that’s not only a big moment for your character, but a gateway to be noted as being stronger.
basically my problem

This is what I’m talking about. Because we’re battling with tactics instead of having atleast a set outcome, with what Nebby just stated, Raiku won’t even be a threat. Is this what we want, where we literally have an Rper who knows he stands no chance and just allows his character to lose? If we pre-planned a battle, if Nebby wanted Raiku to lose, then that’s cool but atleast we could make it a good battle.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
This is what I’m talking about. Because we’re battling with tactics instead of having atleast a set outcome, with what Nebby just stated, Raiku won’t even be a threat. Is this what we want, where we literally have an Rper who knows he stands no chance and just allows his character to lose? If we pre-planned a battle, if Nebby wanted Raiku to lose, then that’s cool but atleast we could make it a good battle.
Even if Raiku is a threat this is bad cuz then when he gits gud he becomes too good and some people may not like it.

Everyone was expecting Kiro to win the tournament, and that he would stomp the water using Azumi, but in shock it didn’t. Just because someone or everyone thinks one thing doesn’t make it fact.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
No I literally stimulated the battle in my mind and how Raiku currently is he'll like lose 87% sure

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Everyone was expecting Kiro to win the tournament, and that he would stomp the water using Azumi, but in shock it didn’t. Just because someone or everyone thinks one thing doesn’t make it fact.
I have problems with that fight but I don't really care anymore. @Retro Master you said you had stuff to say about kiro v hashima... you peeked my curiosity what is it?

making sudden character shining moments like Katuso’s and Tomiko’s. Heck, hinata’s shining moment is when she was being defeated

True, but I hope Tomiko's only shining moment isn't getting beat but being defiant in defeat. It's what ended up happening to both Rock Lee and Hinata. I want her to be more than a jobber to the stars XD. The only character I have to beat another RPer's character in a fight was Azumi (Due to specific circumstances). All my other ones lost to Retro, kyuu and Nebulix.

Again, I am an optimist and will just do my best for the RP. Even if I feel this method has problems you may overlook. It can lead to good and I will do what I can to make it better.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
You know a reason why we were going a "Win no matter the cost" strategy in the exams and not made it be trying to just make them really good is cuz we wanted to be Chunin and didn't want to lose a lot. And it didn't seem as if the "win no matter the cost" and "winning is ok even if the battle wasn't interesting" ideas happened could be we never discussed it that much until it was "too late"

Hmmm, that depends on the strength of the antagonist and their purpose in the story. Right now, even if all our OC's teamed up they wouldn't be able to defeat Pain, and I'm totally cool with that. The whole teaming up thing is more because we need to balance our OC's better. Most of the importance fighters atm are stuck handling Minato, and as a consequence, we've got a lot of free people standing around who ended up swarming Dosu.

We've simply got a bad ration of good-bad guys.

You all...should also notice that I don't preplan strategies all that often. In fact, it's rather rare... because it's too much of a pain to plan multi-step plans. Strategic battles really don't happen as often as you're making it seem.

Well...you only real issue is that you keep letting yourself get hit, and the only character you've developed is the only character of yours able to go head to head with our OC's, and that's because all the main OC's have been developed and have secret jutsu, while your other Oc's have kinda been on the side lines. It's partially because you have so many characters.

If you could invest in all of them the same amount of effort as you did in Azumi then they'd be just as strong. I'll be the first to admit that Azumi's hidden mist + water prison tactics would make me suffer a loss just as Kiro did if my characters didn't have the Byakugan. You don't really have to worry about your tactics being inferior to anyone else's, you're doing well.

True, but I hope Tomiko's only shining moment isn't getting beat but being defiant in defeat. It's what ended up happening to both Rock Lee and Hinata. I want her to be more than a jobber to the stars XD. The only character I have to beat another RPer's character in a fight was Azumi (Due to specific circumstances). All my other ones lost to Retro, kyuu and Nebulix.

Again, I am an optimist and will just do my best for the RP. Even if I feel this method has problems you may overlook. It can lead to good and I will do what I can to make it better.

Also Madoka to Zaku but I get your point XD but most of these were your kind heart not wanting to dissapoint others by making them lose. Also maybe a story element for other battles. Azumi did beat both Taiyo, Kiro, AND her prelims fight. so there’s that