• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Naruto AU RP: discussion

First Exam:

• Written exam

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • ??? New exam

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist
I’ve been an advocate for pre planning battles for awhile now. It works better narratively I believe. Azumi v Kiro was an example of how strategizing could ruin an epic battle.

Tbh, it just depends on matchups though.
That one in particular had unique problems behind it. Let’s be honest.

Hmm I personally think we should at the very least give this a try seems like a decent idea

I don’t mind us pre-selecting our choices for opponents in this Rp, like matchup wise. And lift planning in battles, but I also like making is suspenseful, it’s no fun if the outcome is decided before it even starts

*Shrugs*

No idea to be quite frank. I feel a sense of misdirection & hidden motives within the RP and even in discussions and quite honestly am afraid to talk about the RP given it will just serve as ammo for someone else here to use against other characters (Either consciously or unconsciously). People here seem to value flexing their strategy against each other rather than what would help make a better flowing narrative. I feel that getting characters "wins" and worry if they are powerful or weak more so than in any other RP cause the fights here matter so much more. And I feel they come off as inferior, that I am inferior. I feel like an idiot half the time in these strategic battles cause even with generous advice given to me by others I am just not good enough to make use of it or really compete at that level. Changing any of these would be asking RPers to change their styles which should never be the solution to literally anything.

Honestly I'll be okay for the most part. Hung out this long and have done just fine, the occasional complaint that really probably means nothing or I over-exaggerate aside. Just gotta unwind a bit is all.

Mainly cause Naruto is a Battle Shonen and we're turning it almost into a gritty Seinen Series here.
Ahaha, that might be my fault more than anyone else's. Both the strategy and the grittiness. :'|

We could redirect it into a more shounen styled Rp, and I don't think it'd change our RPing styles too much. My triplets in MHA are pretty much standard shounen characters, and their defining trait is causing trouble for everyone around them.

The narrative dynamics of my Nadeshiko characters kinda writes them into a corner with battles though. Though...I do have quite a few methods in mind to circumvent that particular quirk.

Wins were extremely important at the start of the RP because we were in a tournament format and losing essentially meant your removal from the 'plot' of the RP. People with a low number of characters simply couldn't really afford to lose, or they'd be sidelined in the RP.

I mean, spectating other matches could be fun and all, but personally, I'd rather be in the match. With a more fleshed out world that we have, and the more complex plot, I think winning becomes less important, and just 'surviving' takes priority. After Kiro manages to beat Sagisō in something, not necessarily combat- but preferably, then that'll be my mentality with her for the RP.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
That one in particular had unique problems behind it. Let’s be honest.

I don’t mind us pre-selecting our choices for opponents in this Rp, like matchup wise. And lift planning in battles, but I also like making is suspenseful, it’s no fun if the outcome is decided before it even starts
Well it could take off the stress of try Harding for the win and make it easier to have fun and being creative with your moves on both sides

I don't mind preplanned battles either, it means I can do my acrobatic style without worry, but if I'm slated to lose your gonna have to pry that win from depths of Hades where I reside. Then march through the sea of flames and mountain of blades in your path en route back to the world of mortals. I am a Demon Lord after all.;)

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
I don't mind preplanned battles either, it means I can do my acrobatic style without worry, but if I'm slated to lose your gonna have to pry that win from depths of Hades where I reside. Then march through the sea of flames and mountain of blades in your path en route back to the world of mortals. I am a Demon Lord after all.;)
I don’t think Sagiso should lose due to preplanning nor baiyan tbh

I don’t think Sagiso should lose due to preplanning nor baiyan tbh
Depends, I would've had Baiyan get caught in Azumi's shadow possession if Azumi hadn't pulled it so early in the fight. It wasn't something she would've come into contact with, and she also plays darkness against her opponent because it has no effect on her.

That's a very good narrative way of having her lose because it involves her playing to her strengths which Azumi just so happened to counter because of a factor Baiyan couldn't possibly have known about.

All I honestly care about is I want to be able to look at say Tomiko or Kenji and company and consider them at least respectable. That they belong and can compete with their peers within the RP itself. To a degree that, overall, I felt they really haven't.

As it stands Takato had more one on one wins than most of my core 5 and honestly has been treated better from start to finish, and that just seems to be a downer for me more than anything. Not that I don't like Takato mind you.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Depends, I would've had Baiyan get caught in Azumi's shadow possession if Azumi hadn't pulled it so early in the fight. It wasn't something she would've come into contact with, and she also plays darkness against her opponent because it has no effect on her.

That's a very good narrative way of having her lose because it involves her playing to her strengths which Azumi just so happened to counter because of a factor Baiyan couldn't possibly have known about.
I didn’t mean with girls

Honestly Kiro has played more of a role in my harsh evaluation of my cast more than any character in the story XD. No offense Retro I know you mean well. His effortless smack down of Tomiko really crushed her credibility that she has yet to really try to capture back in my eyes. And Azumi's "win" versus him is so tainted that it questioned whether I saw her as up their with the other legit top tiers despite Shen's insistence.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Honestly Kiro has played more of a role in my harsh evaluation of my cast more than any character in the story XD. No offense Retro I know you mean well. His effortless smack down of Tomiko really crushed her credibility that she has yet to really try to capture back in my eyes. And Azumi's "win" versus him is so tainted that it questioned whether I saw her as up their with the other legit top tiers despite Shen's insistence.
All in all, retro has only ruined people’s experience in this RP

(Jk ofc)

I mean, if we want to do a massive overdraft of the world there's always infinite Tsukiyomi hacks, where we'd just have them all get trapped in it and then play it out as the world started anew. When they awoke, with only several seconds passing in the real world, their personalities would've been permanently altered by their experiences and we'd be able to carry on from wherever we left off with completely altered characters.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
If I were to honestly describe this experience in this RP without caring if this post would be liked or not and not making it a joke... I’d say I ruined it for myself by making avoidable stupid decisions and have lost a decent amount of motivation for it while being envious of everyone else. Welp at least I have a bit of hope! That’s all I need to stay in.

I mean, if we want to do a massive overdraft of the world there's always infinite Tsukiyomi hacks, where we'd just have them all get trapped in it and then play it out as the world started anew. When they awoke, with only several seconds passing in the real world, their personalities would've been permanently altered by their experiences and we'd be able to carry on from wherever we left off with completely altered characters.

.....an, interesting solution XD

Lmao, I've never even seen that ideology in regular Pokemon RPs...mainly because all the ones I've joined never really focused on battle, but instead exploration. In the 2 years I've been on charms I only managed to evolve 1 pokemon xD

Rosephase the Gligar into a Gliscor.

I've been in a Pokemon RP that's lasted since February of a year ago. Maybe longer. Though that one seemed to peter out finally. We'll see.

If I were to honestly describe this experience in this RP without caring if this post would be liked or not and not making it a joke... I’d say I ruined it for myself by making avoidable stupid decisions and have lost a decent amount of motivation for it while being envious of everyone else. Welp at least I have a bit of hope! That’s all I need to stay in.
I mean, we can always BS Hashima's revival into the story, it's not like a slit throat is hyper-deadly in the Shinobi world. Naruto took a Chidori through the Lung, Neji took an arrow through the heart, and after ninja surgery hacks they only spent a couple months in the hospital. It really isn't that big of an issue.