• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Discussion Thread

Media

Now that we've got into the groove of things, let's talk worldbuilding; very specifically, Social Media and News Media. Feel free to suggest any other interesting details that could flesh out the world, but first and foremost we need names for the primary News media and Social media.

These media will work in tandem and will report on notable events that happen in the RP, giving characters a way to keep abreast. One thing I plan to do is allow OCs to submit articles that will officially be posted in a 'Trainer's stories' segment.

News Media: Keen Eye News Network

Social Media: PokéPost
Keen Eye News takes the cake, I think, for news media names lmao, that one is good
My original idea was gonna be a play on Stakeout, the ability, or a play on Watchog; I do like Keen Eye though
A name based on the move Follow Me could work. “FollowMe!” is pretty simple and has that irony factor to it.
Oh! I really like this one
How about a social media platform based around Rotom where Rotom takes the form of the border boxes of each post?
Social Media based on Rotom sounds cool
Maybe that could be called "RoTalk" or something.
I'd add another syllable, like...RotoTalk

A Poll will go up with all the suggestions, and suggestions will be added as they come in.

Poke Media Polls

Poke-News Network Poll
upload_2022-2-20_16-37-43.png

Poke-Social Media Poll
upload_2022-2-20_16-36-59.png

'Rotalk' and 'Rototalk' are very similar sounding names. It's almost like the votes are for the same concept.

On other matters, I do need to decide on what ranking Ace the Mercenary will be before I get him into the RP. I'm thinking he's at least Premier and at most the upper end of Great since he came third in a big global tournament and beat a few well known figures. He also has all the Johto gym badges.

'Rotalk' and 'Rototalk' are very similar sounding names. It's almost like the votes are for the same concept.

On other matters, I do need to decide on what ranking Ace the Mercenary will be before I get him into the RP. I'm thinking he's at least Premier and at most the upper end of Great since he came third in a big global tournament and beat a few well known figures. He also has all the Johto gym badges.
Great is a pretty solid range for his feats. The upper end of great has the low-to-mid-ranked gym leaders and people of that caliber who couldn't compete with the top-ranked gym leaders, E4 etc. in Ultra Rank.

Okay good, this was where I saw him, perhaps towards the upper end. Hopefully you've already worked out by now that Ace has actually battled a very particular trainer who should be in Ultra or Master at least. I came up with the idea for the character a while ago. I made a tourney bracket on challonge.

Okay good, this was where I saw him, perhaps towards the upper end. Hopefully you've already worked out by now that Ace has actually battled a very particular trainer who should be in Ultra or Master at least. I came up with the idea for the character a while ago. I made a tourney bracket on challonge.
Hard to say, the most notable trainer mentioned in his backstory is Wallace's niece, but since she's an AU Neice (His niece from ORAS is Lisia) it's hard to place her definitively in Ultra or Masters. Another notable-ish trainer would be the Masked Guy, Pokemon Hunter I'd imagine, but likewise hard to definitively place in Ultra or Masters.

You'd have to give more details on this trainer to narrow down their strength and rank, but that aside I've no issues with him being in Great rank.

Did you mean for the tournament bracket to be for an in-RP tournament?

Did you mean for the tournament bracket to be for an in-RP tournament?
This tournament is basically part of his backstory as he participated in the Westono tournament: Pokemon Battle Royale and Grand Battle Tournament Year 1 - Challonge

If its too much, we can retcon that people such as Champion Leon and Champion Diantha participated or battled against such weaker trainers like Ace. When this was made, it was quite a while ago before I joined Pokecharms and we assumed these champions weren't the champions of their regions anymore. There are a bunch of important people like Elite Four members in there too, in addition to a plethora of new characters.

We could also explain that said important victories were done due to an error or a fluke. For example, Cynthia being defeated by Ace's rival Rex could be explained by Cynthia's Pokemon resisting her commands or by the many gangs that tried to attack and weaken some of the contestants offside or rich buisnessmen who tried to rig the results on certain rounds by bribing the organizers to create terrain or effects on the field that would harm the other side. Remember, Westono, particularly Tarius City, was known for its great corruption.

Last edited:
This tournament is basically part of his backstory as he participated in the Westono tournament: Pokemon Battle Royale and Grand Battle Tournament Year 1 - Challonge

If its too much, we can retcon that people such as Champion Leon and Champion Diantha participated or battled against such weaker trainers like Ace. When this was made, it was quite a while ago before I joined Pokecharms and we assumed these champions weren't the champions of their regions anymore. There are a bunch of important people like Elite Four members in there too, in addition to a plethora of new characters.

We could also explain that said important victories were done due to an error or a fluke. For example, Cynthia being defeated by Ace's rival Rex could be explained by Cynthia's Pokemon resisting her commands or by the many gangs that tried to attack and weaken some of the contestants offside or rich buisnessmen who tried to rig the results on certain rounds by bribing the organizers to create terrain or effects on the field that would harm the other side. Remember, Westono, particularly Tarius City, was known for its great corruption.
It'd be easier to remove these significant characters since they're still active in this RP and would be rather difficult to sort through for continuity's sake.

Who exactly would prosecute them?
Since Shadow Pokemon are created through extreme abuse and commonly rampage, attacking trainers and all, neither the Pokemon League nor the Police force would be too happy about their usage. They might be more common in underground fight clubs similar to what @Retro Master is doing, since their behavior would be problematic in most other places.

Surely though the important gym leaders and elite four and whatnot would be very busy with other things to turn their attention to one or two people with Shadow mons? These guys have busy schedules, battling different trainers and attending tournaments. As for the police force, well you saw how it turned out in Alola and in Kanto where up until a certain child entering the area there were whole towns and cities being ran by gang-like teams! I'd imagine there would be a lot of potential hiding places as you can't be everywhere at once!

Surely though the important gym leaders and elite four and whatnot would be very busy with other things to turn their attention to one or two people with Shadow mons? These guys have busy schedules, battling different trainers and attending tournaments. As for the police force, well you saw how it turned out in Alola and in Kanto where up until a certain child entering the area there were whole towns and cities being ran by gang-like teams! I'd imagine there would be a lot of potential hiding places as you can't be everywhere at once!
You make a good point, but the world is fairly dynamic and since we're in a time that's post that era, people, particularly OCs are a lot more aware of it.

For example, @EnviousWorm has a character who's a private investigator, and @Cmeriwether has a self-proclaimed vigilante, my own character is also ardently against evil teams since they were responsible for permanently scarring the Oblivia region by vaporizing one of its islands.

While it's certainly possible for evil to hide, it would have to be very much an 'in hiding' thing. To openly go about it would probably not go well.

TL;DR

That's to say there's a lot more nosey trainers around these days and people who might take it upon themselves to bring attention to rampant evil.

Hallo! Few updates.

First, Legends Arceus-style Pokeballs have been added to the shop. They are considered antiquated and due to being hand-crafted, they're more difficult to produce than the standard, mass-produced variant. Hence, their price is marked up by 50%.

Second, one of the things I intend to introduce is a bounty list or a most-wanted list. This will be a public list of dangerous/wanted/elusive criminals or organizations that are on Interpol's (International Police's) watch list. These people are so elusive that Interpol has had to resort to requesting the assistance of the average trainer. Interpol DOES NOT recommend you take on these trainers, but reports on their whereabouts will be rewarded and, if you somehow, manage to capture one, you would be rewarded very handsomely.

If you've got a major villain you'd want to introduce or otherwise then feel free to shoot me a message about the details on them and what they'd be wanted for so we could get a wanted poster up.

Sometime this week, I'll be uploading the current wanted list.

Third, after nearly a week, I think I'll wrap up the poll, so the results are:
upload_2022-2-27_16-19-54.png

upload_2022-2-27_16-20-11.png

Last edited:
I'm still trying to find a place and time for Ace the Mercenary to enter the RP, but one villain could easily be 'the Inquisitor'. In the established lore for the Westono region tournament, there were several gangs he was involved with, including 'Shadow Wrath' or 'Shadow's Wrath', an organization made up of former Cipher members from Orre. There was also 'Black Fungus' whose mascot was an Amoongus and was based in Unova but had influence in different parts of the world, the said places in Unova being mainly Castelia and Virbank towns and had the help of corrupt police officers.

I'm still trying to find a place and time for Ace the Mercenary to enter the RP, but one villain could easily be 'the Inquisitor'. In the established lore for the Westono region tournament, there were several gangs he was involved with, including 'Shadow Wrath' or 'Shadow's Wrath', an organization made up of former Cipher members from Orre. There was also 'Black Fungus' whose mascot was an Amoongus and was based in Unova but had influence in different parts of the world, the said places in Unova being mainly Castelia and Virbank towns and had the help of corrupt police officers.
If you'd want to add Westono and its lore to the Rp I'd request you to summarize the information about the region and its history; they might also need to be adapted to fit the existing lore of this RP.
Is this RP still open? just wondering ._.
It is indeed still open! Feel free to submit a character for review. Since you don't have any prior RP on Pokecharms to judge by, I'd request you also include a prospective introduction post for your character—or a solid backstory.