• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Discussion Thread

Will do!! :) Before I type it all out and it gets potentially turned down, I was wondering if I might pose a question about a character idea I've used a few times in the past in rps that ultimately died out: I've always loved the idea of isekai. It's my #1 preference in anime. Would it be possible for me to make a character from an Earth that's exactly like ours in every way, only the concept of pokemon as we know it was never introduced? The character wouldn't have any outside world knowledge of pokemon or how they work or anything. I've never done the ultra wormhole spin on it, but instead used the power of the Unown to justify how its happened in the previous rps. If not that's totally fine, I have other characters I've used, I just wanted to ask about this one first.

Hello! I'm new to the website and I have to say, this is the most thought out and detailed pokemon rp I've ever seen. I was wondering if there might be room for one more person to join?? I wasn't sure if I did this here or if I had to send a messaeg directly to you, but this was the only way I could figure to ask.
Welcome! Glad you like it, we'd love to have you!
Will do!! :) Before I type it all out and it gets potentially turned down, I was wondering if I might pose a question about a character idea I've used a few times in the past in rps that ultimately died out: I've always loved the idea of isekai. It's my #1 preference in anime. Would it be possible for me to make a character from an Earth that's exactly like ours in every way, only the concept of pokemon as we know it was never introduced? The character wouldn't have any outside world knowledge of pokemon or how they work or anything. I've never done the ultra wormhole spin on it, but instead used the power of the Unown to justify how its happened in the previous rps. If not that's totally fine, I have other characters I've used, I just wanted to ask about this one first.
Yep, that works perfectly with the multi-verse setting. Go right ahead!

Name: Theo Hightower
Trainer Class: Trainer/Battler
Physical Appearance: 6ft 2, 175lbs somewhat muscular. Brown hair and eyes. lightly tanned complexion.
Clothing: Black t-shirt, blue jeans, black tennis shoes
Personality: Theo is a bookworm that enjoys reading and learning new things, something that shouldn't be a problem in this new world he finds himself in.
Backstory:
Theo was born in an ordinary, every day city on an ordinary, every day day. There was nothing special about him or his birth, and neither was there anything not so special. He was born, as babies are, on just another day of the week. He, his home town, his city, his state, his country, his world. Everything about them were all completely normal. As normal as normal could be in any day and age such as ours. For the majority of his life, Theo traveled with his parents where ever their archaeological lives took them. The pyramids. The jungles. The deserts. You name it, he had been there. As he grew and learned Theo would take on the role of Cataloger, making sure every discovery was recorded, when, where, by whom, the technique used, and the list just went on. It was obvious he would eventually become an Archaeologist like his parents, and so they made sure to start his training early for when they believed he would be ready to take their places.

While living life this way was fun and exciting, it left little time for him to make any real friends his age. People you couldn't take with you when you left suddenly. Not legally anyway. The few teens he did meet his age were blank faces, names forgotten as soon as they walked away. Books on the other hand were a different story altogether. Books you could take anywhere, pick up on your time and put down when you were ready. Books never teased or argued or belittled their reader. They exist for the sole purpose of bringing joy to their owner's lives. So you could imagine Theo's surprise and delight when, on his and his parent's latest Archaeological venture, they found a book they hadn't expected to find. Bound in what appeared to be tanned flesh and written in ink that still appeared to consist of a faint trace of crimson, the book itself was very well preserved given how long it had been lost to time.

Strangest of all was the fact that the book was written in a language completely foreign to the forest temple it had been discovered in. Try and try and try again, the trio of dungeon delvers could not make sense of the strange book's language. After a month the three only felt safe in deeming two of these words as “decoded.” Palkia and Dialgia. What were these words? What did they mean? Theo wasn't sure, but he was going to find out. One night after his parents had gone to bed, Theo was busy once again trying, and feeling as though he was failing, to decipher another word in the book. “I wonder...if this is a word lost to time. How cool would that be? An unknown word.” Theo would mutter to himself, closing his eyes and yawning, wiping the sleepy tears from his eyes. He turned from the book and stood, standing and stretching. “Time for bed Theo. You're startin to talk crazy talk.” Yes, he spoke to himself. He knew he was carrying on an intelligent conversation as long as he did. He turned back to the book, to close it for the evening, when he saw something that made him freeze in his tracks.

The characters that made up the book had come to life straight off the page and were dancing around, Theo staring wide eyed. It took him a minute, but Theo would eventually reach up and smack himself in the face in a vain attempt to bring himself back to reality. There was no way this was actually happening, was it? The sound of skin on skin was enough to not only make Theo question his sanity, but also draw the attention of the living characters. In unison the characters would shift and turn in his direction, Theo drawing breath to scream but unable to produce the desired sound as he suddenly found himself engulfed in the characters of the book. It was the strangest sensation. The characters didn't sting. Didn't hurt. Didn't tickle. They just...existed. They were just there. One by one the characters would eventually begin to unravel from Theo's form, the ones touching flesh reminding him of the feeling of skin peeling after having sunburn. It wasn't until the last letter fell that Theo dared to move, taking in a ragged, frightened breath. What had happened? Where was he? Was he still sane? And most importantly, what was this black and blue dog with big yellow eyes, looking up at him like he was a ghost?

Starter: Shinx
Ability: Intimidate
Moves:
[Tackle] [Leer]
[Thunder Shock] [Charge]
[Bite] [Spark]
[Double Kick] []

Last edited:
Name: Theo Hightower
Trainer Class: Trainer/Battler
Physical Appearance: 6ft 2, 175lbs somewhat muscular. Brown hair and eyes. lightly tanned complexion.
Clothing: Black t-shirt, blue jeans, black tennis shoes
Personality: Theo is a bookworm that enjoys reading and learning new things, something that shouldn't be a problem in this new world he finds himself in.
Backstory:
Theo was born in an ordinary, every day city on an ordinary, every day day. There was nothing special about him or his birth, and neither was there anything not so special. He was born, as babies are, on just another day of the week. He, his home town, his city, his state, his country, his world. Everything about them were all completely normal. As normal as normal could be in any day and age such as ours. For the majority of his life, Theo traveled with his parents where ever their archaeological lives took them. The pyramids. The jungles. The deserts. You name it, he had been there. As he grew and learned Theo would take on the role of Cataloger, making sure every discovery was recorded, when, where, by whom, the technique used, and the list just went on. It was obvious he would eventually become an Archaeologist like his parents, and so they made sure to start his training early for when they believed he would be ready to take their places.

While living life this way was fun and exciting, it left little time for him to make any real friends his age. People you couldn't take with you when you left suddenly. Not legally anyway. The few teens he did meet his age were blank faces, names forgotten as soon as they walked away. Books on the other hand were a different story altogether. Books you could take anywhere, pick up on your time and put down when you were ready. Books never teased or argued or belittled their reader. They exist for the sole purpose of bringing joy to their owner's lives. So you could imagine Theo's surprise and delight when, on his and his parent's latest Archaeological venture, they found a book they hadn't expected to find. Bound in what appeared to be tanned flesh and written in ink that still appeared to consist of a faint trace of crimson, the book itself was very well preserved given how long it had been lost to time.

Strangest of all was the fact that the book was written in a language completely foreign to the forest temple it had been discovered in. Try and try and try again, the trio of dungeon delvers could not make sense of the strange book's language. After a month the three only felt safe in deeming two of these words as “decoded.” Palkia and Dialgia. What were these words? What did they mean? Theo wasn't sure, but he was going to find out. One night after his parents had gone to bed, Theo was busy once again trying, and feeling as though he was failing, to decipher another word in the book. “I wonder...if this is a word lost to time. How cool would that be? An unknown word.” Theo would mutter to himself, closing his eyes and yawning, wiping the sleepy tears from his eyes. He turned from the book and stood, standing and stretching. “Time for bed Theo. You're startin to talk crazy talk.” Yes, he spoke to himself. He knew he was carrying on an intelligent conversation as long as he did. He turned back to the book, to close it for the evening, when he saw something that made him freeze in his tracks.

The characters that made up the book had come to life straight off the page and were dancing around, Theo staring wide eyed. It took him a minute, but Theo would eventually reach up and smack himself in the face in a vain attempt to bring himself back to reality. There was no way this was actually happening, was it? The sound of skin on skin was enough to not only make Theo question his sanity, but also draw the attention of the living characters. In unison the characters would shift and turn in his direction, Theo drawing breath to scream but unable to produce the desired sound as he suddenly found himself engulfed in the characters of the book. It was the strangest sensation. The characters didn't sting. Didn't hurt. Didn't tickle. They just...existed. They were just there. One by one the characters would eventually begin to unravel from Theo's form, the ones touching flesh reminding him of the feeling of skin peeling after having sunburn. It wasn't until the last letter fell that Theo dared to move, taking in a ragged, frightened breath. What had happened? Where was he? Was he still sane? And most importantly, what was this black and blue dog with big yellow eyes, looking up at him like he was a ghost?

Starter: Shinx
looks good, accepted o7

I'd suggest adding a bit more information on Shinx, like its moves and ability. Feel free to hop right into any region.

Hmmm, you might also want to run that backstory by @StellarWind Elsydeon , it's not quite a legendary encounter but it couldn't hurt to have it cleared.

looks good, accepted o7

I'd suggest adding a bit more information on Shinx, like its moves and ability. Feel free to hop right into any region.
Thank ya thank ya :) I'll get right on that and then I'll hop in. I had a final session dnd game that was starting when I posted that, so I just put it out there so it to be reviewed. Would it be alright for the Shinx to have an Egg move despite being wild? My thought process is its not out of the realm of possibility for something like that to happen in the wild, but I also know its ultimately your call :)
Hmmm, you might also want to run that backstory by @StellarWind Elsydeon , it's not quite a legendary encounter but it couldn't hurt to have it cleared.
Alrighty :) I don't mind changing it if it's not allowed or is going to cause issues or something. I'm a pretty easy going guy when it comes to things like that. I just always include Dialga and Palkia in Isekai character backgrounds to cover all the bases.

Thank ya thank ya :) I'll get right on that and then I'll hop in. I had a final session dnd game that was starting when I posted that, so I just put it out there so it to be reviewed. Would it be alright for the Shinx to have an Egg move despite being wild? My thought process is its not out of the realm of possibility for something like that to happen in the wild, but I also know its ultimately your call :)
No worries, the stance on egg move is that wild Pokemon can indeed have them since they naturally have parents who could pass them down. You'd need to determine who Shinx's parents are and they can pass down any egg moves they learn through Level Up.

e.g. if its parent was an Electrike then it could have Quick Attack as an egg move since Electrike learns Quick Attack via level up.

Ok so I've updated the Shinx info. I feel like I need to ask because I'm a little confused. Are there some people playing the same character at different times of the day, or different times of the day in different regions? I'm going back a few pages to try and figure out where everyone is and I'm getting a bit lost.
That's correct, we've got some characters who are in multiple locations but they happen at different time periods. Several plots, it gets a bit messy.

Here's a quick summary:
Here is a list of all the dates happening in specific areas, what's happening, and the characters and what their people are doing. You may either ask or join a group or have your character go on a solo journey. Having a goal in mind for what your character should go on a journey for would help. Generally a good idea to ask a person about joining their characters for a journey.

The other RPers, if anything is wrong, let me know lmfao. I'll change it. This is basically a summary for everyone recently.

Kanto:
Nothing recent has happened here.

Johto:
July 19, Tuesday - Reina Cortez (Hecotoro), Desmond Andrews (Godjacob), Esther Sophys (kyuukestu), Aldon Charlton (ThAtGuY101), Eveline Velsh and Genevieve (Quantum Lila), Rick (Ridge), Nakano Saito (Merciless Medic), Savannah Mable (Grand Master Koop), Shanya "Colored" Harika (Alternate_Mystery), and Quincy Palmer (| Korutesu |) are on the anime-exclusive island of Yellow Rock Isle of the Whirl Islands. Reina, Desmond, Esther, Aldon, Eveline, Rick, Nakano, Gene, Savannah, Colored, and Quincy are on the beach, with all but Gene, Savannah, Colored, and Quincy handling the Blastoise. I don't know if Colored's and Quincy's players are going to be continuing, and the main group (not counting Rick, Colored, or Quincy) will be splitting after the Whirl Cup (have to enter with 3 Water-Typed Pokemon). Currently, Reina did catch a giant two-story Blastoise that attacked the group after it was awoken from its slumber. The group will be heading to Red Rock Isle soon for the Whirl Cup. Once they reach Cianwood City, the group will be splitting, and my character will be bouncing in between Sinnoh and Johto for the journey she has there and for the festivals. The group consists of a mixture of new and strong trainers, from trainers who just started their journey to those who are intermediate (the only outlier one being of a low level league champ tier, but she won't be staying in Johto for long).

Orange Islands:
June 2, Thursday - Reginald Valerias (Merciless Medic), Adrianne Silvers (Godjacob), and Briar Hightower (ThAtGuY101) are on Tangelo Island. Adrianne just started her journey and her and Reggie are going to compete in the Orange League. They are all WCS registered and they'll be going on that journey. However, Godjacob has stated in the Discord that he wouldn't want anymore high-level trainers traveling with Adrianne, as having Reggie and Briar is already enough in terms of how strong they are (one is intermediate, the other far stronger). I would also prefer keeping that group small for my ease of comfort (as the Johto one is really big and I'll be Naka dip from that one).

Hoenn:
Nothing recent has happened here.

Sinnoh:
June 14, Tuesday - Kaden Miller (IDKWhatUserNameToDo) and Ezio Farello (DarkHydraT) are in Pastoria City's Grand Lake Hotel. They just finished their battle, and will be parting probably (unsure).

June 15, Wednesday (Haven't checked) - Planning on having Nakano Saito and Ezio Farello meet up to have some mystery thing happen in Solaceon Town's ruins, and also have their Aerodactyls meet. Will have to talk to DarkHydraT about that.

June 17, Friday - Nakano Saito (Merciless Medic), Gwen Tucker (IDKWhatUserNameToDo), and Ron Towers (Hecotoro) are currently in Eterna City, but they are about to leave. We do have some pretty intense plots happening, but the group intends to stay small, so we won't be allowing others to join, especially as it's about to ramp up.

Unova:
June 16, Thursday - Aldon Charlton's (ThAtGuY101) solo adventure in Undella Town's Abyssal Ruins.

Kalos:
July 2, Saturday - Montagne "Monty" Khastil (~Patriot~), Azumi Towers (Hecotoro), Esther Sophys (kyuukestu), and Nico Flynn (| Korutesu |) are in Lumiose City, Monty trying to keep the cop-in-training Azumi from finding out he is a criminal while they all travel around Kalos and getting stronger. They are all substantially new here, while Azumi is the only strong trainer amongst them. Monty in-character wouldn't want anymore people joining the group so as to keep the possibility of his criminal status being shown, but they also intend to keep the group small here.

Alola:
Nico Flynn (| Korutesu |) is going to be traveling to Alola here pretty soon.

Galar:
June 16, Thursday - Nicole Newman (DarkHydraT) and Lara Brook (IDKWhatUserNameToDo) are in North Lake Miloch chilling and waiting for a Swablu swarm.

August 1, Monday - Laura Willham (Grand Master Koop) is in the midst of a gym battle in Turffield, and she will join up with Kurashiki Ki (Hecotoro) later to travel Galar. Laura is still a relatively intermediate trainer.

August 2, Tuesday - Wilford Pine (sSoul) and Cole Forrest (Merciless Medic) are challenging the Turffield gym, with Briar Hightower (ThAtGuY101) watching. sSoul and I plan on having the two-character group small, as the posting rate is not only really slow, but to allow the two to get stronger without higher-leveled people preventing them from doing so (I say that because Wilford and Cole are not nice people and will avoid stronger people like the plague if they can help it).

Paldea:
Nothing recent has happened here yet.

However, while the selection may seem difficult to jump into, always ask the players if there is room for you to join if you're unsure, and have something for your character to do. Since your character is really strong, it's going to be difficult for you to merge with those who have generally newer trainers or those with delicate plots. There should also be a reason for the characters to stay in the group.

If you have an idea for a plot for your character to do, ask who would be interested in joining and do some plotting with people. We heavily encourage plotting, as it's fun and allows you to find other RPers to play with you easier. :D

Why thank ya :) That's actually very helpful!

June 15, Wednesday (Haven't checked) - Planning on having Nakano Saito and Ezio Farello meet up to have some mystery thing happen in Solaceon Town's ruins, and also have their Aerodactyls meet. Will have to talk to DarkHydraT about that.

@Merciless Medic @DarkHydraT would it be cool with yall if I had Theo tag along for the ruins excursion? The Unown are why he's in this world in the first place, so it would make sense that they would appear near somewhere they're naturally found.

Hey all! Hope everyone had a good Easter. Have an eggscellent photo that crossed my Facebook today to spread the Easter cheer!!
1681098778986.png

Now to the reason for my posting :) I went back and read a few more posts before I put mine up, and didn't realize I could just ask if there was any opening anywhere. So I'll ask that now! I don't want to impose on any planned story events. I'm looking to rp and have a good time. So if anyone wants me I'm wide open. Also I'm going to go join the discord. I thought I did already but clearly nah.

Just to clarify @kyuukestu, do you prefer that all role-players list their character's name, the location, and the date at the top of their post? I noticed most people were doing it.
It helps to know when and where they are so other rpers can filter what posts they need to look at that pertain to their characters. I'd say it's mandatory with the amount of things happening lol, but that's just me. But I also have Naka in 4 different places and times at once so I definitely need to.

Just to clarify @kyuukestu, do you prefer that all role-players list their character's name, the location, and the date at the top of their post? I noticed most people were doing it.
Aye, it's rather required to make it easy for people to keep track of things. Since you only have one character you don't need to write their name, but please include location and date.

Why thank ya :) That's actually very helpful!

@Merciless Medic @DarkHydraT would it be cool with yall if I had Theo tag along for the ruins excursion? The Unown are why he's in this world in the first place, so it would make sense that they would appear near somewhere they're naturally found.
I'm not against it, what do you think, Medic?

I'm not against it, what do you think, Medic?

I don't mind at all :3

Problem is, you had Theo appear in the Pokemon World around July 20th... So uh...

I don't know how that'd work.

Yikes! I take a break to do homework and I forget where I am. What date is it in...where am I supposed to be...Sinnoh? Or was it Johto? Where ever the swarm event is going to happen. What date is it there?
The swarm is likely gonna happen around the end of July and end of August once we wrap up the two events. It'll happen on Route 38 of Johto, right before the group gets to Arborville for the Johto contest. We are sadly not there yet :'D

It said you guys were straight up banned
Fluffy's account has been compromised. She had admin privileges in the server and banned people who didn't fall for the hack to take as many accounts as possible and deleted messages to prevent people from knowing it is a hack.

Be careful, everyone.

EDIT: She had admin privileges. :'D

Last edited:
We've got 6 Participants for the Whirl Cup so here's how the brackets will work.

Trainers will be split into two groups of three; battles will occur in a round-robin format. That means each trainer will eventually face both other trainers in their bracket. The trainer with the most wins in each group will move onto the finals.

Here are the groups and matches, any questions?

1681692656818.png

The tournament is all single-battles but the number of Pokémon you're allowed to use will increase with each round. So:
  • Round 1 is a 1v1
  • Round 2 is a 2v2
  • Round 3 is a 3v3

Last edited:
@kyuukestu Just one question: How do we decide whether an attack hits or not in the event of a stalemate? Do we use a randomizer or work it out with our opponent? Oops! I guess that's two questions. Sorry.
Generally, just work with your opponent and do what seems reasonable. For moves with low accuracy, you can also do the randomizer to determine hit or miss.
Are these the same rounds as the Robins or are each match of the robin part of the same round?
These are the matches within the Round Robin.