• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon: Role Play Thread

National Park, Johto
Desmond had never felt smaller when this guy decided to seemingly focus on his Politoed as he tried to mask some visible sweat. Of course of course he'd be singled out like this. With the way his luck had usually been why had he expected anything else?

"Q-quash? D-did you say Quash?" Desmond asked, he tried to sound well not like his throat had just lost its voice but had mixed success as he tried to tug his own collar and swallowed some nerves. However, his Politoed had once more proved to be the more resolved one of the two as it remained standing before its partner and its expression had not shifted.

This had not changed even as the Croagunk jumped ahead of the thief and flashed some gang signs, which caused Desmond to nearly stumble over himself as he stepped back. Course, this display worked to get his blood flowing but Politoed moved forward with a light hop as it scanned the bigger frog Pokemon and seemed unintimidated.

"Poooli!"

Politoed seemed to be ready for a fight, whether Desmond had been was well...another story. However, the Masked Skull tried to whisper a hope that seemed to imply they had the advantage and as chilling as the Dusknoir had been the reassurance of aid should Politoed lose had been welcomed.

"I-I hope you are right..." Desmond whispered back.

1:09 P.M. June 8th, Wednesday - Lumiose Badlands, Kalos

"Damnit! Return, Dazzle."

Dazzle was the name of the Helioptile that had just been knocked out in a battle against a Froakie. The trainer muttered a curse under his breath as Dazzle was enveloped by bright red light and absorbed back into its Pokéball. Acer had run into this guy while traversing Route 13, looking for the place mentioned in an advertisement for people looking to trade Pokémon for money. Considering how the Froakie fared in its first battle, along with its enhancements, Acer figured the disobedient Pokémon would fetch a good price. The only reason Acer accepted the challenge in the first place was to test its capabilities as well as its compatibility with him.

As expected, they had no chemistry whatsoever. The Froakie didn’t listen to a single one of his commands. Every time Acer shouted command, the Pokémon just did something else. Instead of dodging, it countered. Rather than use an attack, it dodged. Maybe his understanding of combat was lacking compared to the Froakie. After all, the Froakie ended up winning the battle with relative ease. Acer could tell that Froakie hadn't even been fighting the Helioptile seriously, even with the type disadvantage at the start. Thanks to its ability, the Froakie didn't really have to be concerned about the type advantage for long anyways. In fact, it completely gained the upper hand after using its egg moves. It irritated Acer slightly to watch the Froakie use Camouflage and then follow up with a super effective Power-Up Punch. The Helioisk never stood a chance and it wasn't long before Acer got some spare change in his back pocket from the victory. Unfortunately, the prize money he got from fighting trainers at his level wasn't anything too substantial.

"Good fight," Acer said as he returned the Froakie to its Pokéball before it could even think about running away. There was no way Acer would be able to chase after it in the desert-like conditions they were currently in. His opponent didn't seem too pleased about the loss, which was made evident by his next words.

"Nah. You're lucky you won this battle, but at least I can control my Pokémon, loser!”

With that insult, the trainer scurried away, leaving Acer alone once again. He knew the Badlands were known for being desolate, but this was just ridiculous. There was nothing for miles. Well, there was the Kalos Power Plant, but Acer could barely make it out from his current location in these desert-like conditions. His vision was limited due to the sand being blown around. Truth be told, the reason Acer came this far was because he thought he saw a truck was out into the distance. Yeah, it was weird to come out this far just for some truck that might've just been one of those hallucinations, but that could've been the people he was looking for.

"Fuck, maybe this was a bad idea."

By this point, it was already too late to turn back for him. The further Acer went into the Badlands, the stronger the winds became, which limited his vision. Even weirder was some stench that seemed to smell worse and worse as he moved forward. His legs were growing heavy as he trudged through the thick sand. Soon enough, the teen gasped as he suddenly stumbled and completely fell over. However, this wasn't because he lost his footing. Having been unable to see much of anything in front of him, Acer had tumbled down into a decently sized pit of sand. After coming to a stop, he coughed before reaching out with his hands to help himself up. At first, Acer didn't think much of the feeling of flesh he felt with his hands. He was more focused on the predicament he had fallen into. His heart started to beat faster as the realization that this hole could very well be his grave if he couldn't climb out. However, his heart stopped when he saw what his hands had just touched.

His eyes started to water up as he felt something sickly rise up his throat. The boy couldn't resist the urge to puke after seeing the half-eaten, decomposed body of a human. This was the first time Acer had a dead body, let alone a decomposed body, so he couldn't help himself from reacting like this. Coughing some more after having emptied the contents of his stomach, the teenager looked at his surroundings. There were about a dozen bodies littered all around him. Some decomposed and covered in sand, while others seemed like they had been dumped in there fairly recently. There were also other body parts spread around, probably the leftovers of an unfinished meal of a native Pokémon. Now he knew where that horrible stench was coming from too.

"Wh-what the fuck?! Shit! I-I should probably call someone."

Still struggling to get a grip of himself, Acer managed to pull out his Rotom Phone and quickly dialed the emergency number. That was the only thing he could think of to do in this situation. At this point, he just wanted to get out of the Badlands. After some ringing, an emergency responder finally answered the call. Although his voice was shaking, Acer did his best to explain to the woman on the other side of the call what had happened. The conversation lasted about a minute and she told him that there would be assistance on the way and to just wait there until then. That was enough to calm his nerves and after the call ended, the teen took some deep breaths. He couldn't believe this was happening on his first day. Why were bodies buried all the way out here? Acer could only make some guesses, but it was pretty obvious this was the work of someone trying to cover up some deaths. Whatever the case, Acer changed his priorities to climbing out of this hole. He didn't even consider asking Froakie for help, since the Pokémon would probably be useless in this scenario anyways. Putting all his remaining energy into climbing up the pit, Acer clawed his way up. He had fallen a few times but managed to crawl out of the hole after about five attempts. Acer's breath was ragged as he reached the top, panting heavily after his struggles.

"Yo. What are you doing all the way out here, kid?"

What Acer hadn't expected was there for someone to be waiting for him at the top. The teen looked up to meet the hazel-colored eyes of a brown-haired man. Most of his face was covered by a black and red desert shemagh scarf, probably to protect himself from the harsh conditions. By his feet was what appeared to be a Poliwag. Acer had no idea where this man had come from or even why he was all the way here. Well, he could make some guesses. It couldn't just be a coincidence this guy just happened to appear where all these bodies were hidden.

"You know, I could ask you the same question." Trying to sound confident, Acer stood up and dusted some of the sand off his clothes. He needed to wash them and himself when he got the chance. If he got the chance that is. The man only chuckled after hearing his response.

"What are you trying to say?" Questioned the man, like he had no clue what the boy was getting at. Acer knew it was dangerous for him to press on like this but still did so anyways.

"I-I was out here trying to trade my Pokémon for money, but I ended up finding this gravesite instead. Then you just happen to show up here as well. Care to explain that?" Gesturing towards the pit of sand, Acer glanced back at the man who he believed to be the culprit.

"That's quite the assumption, boy. You know, I could kill you right now if that were the case." The man stated as his voice grew slightly deeper. Acer couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of dread as he heard the man say 'kill'. This man could very well kill him right now and Acer lost all of his composure at the thought of that. Afraid of pressing onwards, the teen's mouth opened, but not a single word came out. Seeing the fear well up in the aqua eyes of the boy left an unseen grin underneath the facial coverings over the man's face.

"50k."

"Huh?"

"You said you were out here to get some money or something, right? Let's make a bet. You win and I'll let you leave here with 50k in your pockets."

That was, honest to Arceus, the last thing Acer expected to hear from this guy. Perhaps Arceus had provided him with this miracle. One last chance to save himself. Of course, Acer was still very much doubtful as the offer sounded too good to be true. Especially coming from someone he suspected to be a mass murderer.

"And what's in it for you? There's gotta be a catch."

Smirking underneath his facial coverings, the man wasn't surprised to hear Acer's questioning. At least he wasn't foolish enough to believe it was just a one-sided deal. Taking a glance at the Poliwag standing beside him, then back at Acer, the man already knew the boy would agree to his terms.

"You'll owe me 50k that you will have to pay back. I'll be using this little Poliwag here for the battle too. How does that sound?"

Snickering after hearing those terms, Acer knew damn well he didn't have that kind of money. His would-be opponent should have no way of knowing that though. Unless he already did know that and was offering this deal anyways. This guy must just be high then, especially if he was seriously planning to use the Poliwag.

"How do I know you won't just go back and your word kill me like you did those others?" After making his suspicions clear, Acer watched as the man pulled out a Porygon tablet. He took a few seconds, doing some swiping and typing on the tablet, before stepping forwards towards Acer.

"You're quite the assumptive brat, aren't ya? Don't worry about that, we'll sign a contract."

Holding out the tablet, the man offered it over to Acer. On the screen was a long-ass contract, stating the terms and conditions that came with agreeing to the bet. Although he knew better, Acer still just skimmed through the wall of text since it seemed like all the important details were already mentioned. It seemed like this guy was really serious about this. Holding the tablet now, Acer scrolled all the way down to the bottom of the page and found an area he just had to sign. By this point, the teen already knew he was going to agree to the deal. After all, how could he forfeit a win-win scenario? What this guy didn't know was that the police were on their way to this very location. Whether he won or lost didn't even matter. If Acer ended up winning, that was 50k in the bank and he didn't have to worry about being backstabbed. Then if he so happened to lose, the police would be here in only a matter of time and all Acer had to do was show them the bodies that lay scattered about. Not that Acer was concerned much about losing. Judging from their previous battle, even though he had next to no control over Froakie, the frog-like Pokémon was definitely skilled enough to handle a little Poliwag. This would be easy money.

Using the stylus that came with the table, Acer only hesitated for a split second before going through with signing the contract. He could hear another chuckle escape the man as he did so. Once he returned the table to the man, Acer pulled out his Pokéball and released the Froakie. The frog-like Pokémon did a front flip as it landed right in front of the Poliwag. It tilted its head slightly at the opposing tadpole Pokémon and after some brief communication, the Froakie didn't seem too interested in it. Acer guessed that it was probably because the Poliwag was a male.

"Hey, Froakie. You can do whatever the fuck you want. Just win." Acer said cooly to Froakie, who turned around to acknowledge him briefly. It seemed to appreciate that Acer wasn't going to order it around. At least, that's how Acer interpreted its side-eye.

"That's quite the confidence you have in your partner. You can just call me Ricky by the way. I hope you're ready."

"Thanks, but this is the first and last time we'll ever talk, Ricky."

"We'll see about that haha. You can go first."

That was all the Froakie needed to hear as it leaped into battle. It launched a barrage of bubbles at the Poliwag before suddenly blending into the environment while its opponent was occupied with the Bubble attack in front of it. A spray of water launched out of its mouth as it didn't have much time to completely dodge the attack if it wanted. The Water Gun was enough to create a hole in the flurry of bubble, allowing the Poliwag to avoid being hit by it. However, the Bubble had only been a setup for the real attack. Using Camouflage, the Froakie was able to sneak up to the Poliwag undetected. At least, that's what Acer thought until he realized that if he could see the footprints in the sand next to the Poliwag, then so could Ricky.

"Use Hypnosis on your left, Poliwag."

Ricky muttered the command calmly, causing the Pokémon to close its eyes and turned to the left. A soothing sound could be heard coming from the Poliwag soon after. Acer muttered a curse under his breath as he saw Froakie reveal itself and miss its attack. Judging by the slow movements of the now drowsy Froakie, it was clear that the Poliwag had landed a direct hit. Fortunately, the Froakie was able to barely tumble over to the side and avoid an attempted Pound from the Poliwag. It seemed capable of using attacks on its own, with direct command only coming at necessary times. Most trainers usually trained their Pokémon to be able to act on their own like that by teaching them how to act in certain situations. Of course, most Pokémon naturally knew how to navigate a battle themselves as well. As seen by his talented Froakie. Yet, talent didn't seem like it would be enough here as the Froakie was struggling just to stay awake at the moment. However, while Acer was starting to get concerned about Froakie, he had left himself completely wide open and suddenly felt the air get knocked right out of him as a stray Water Gun struck him directly in the chest and blasted him backward. Acer fell onto his back and clutched his chest as he struggled to gasp for air. It took a few moments for Acer to catch his breath before he could actually react to the uncalled-for attack.

"Wha-What the fuck?! Wh-why the hell are you attacking me?!"

Coughing some more after doing his best to question Ricky's motives, Acer managed to sit up and find Froakie. Fortunately, his Pokémon was still standing. Meanwhile, Ricky started to laugh in response to Acer's questioning. However, it soon stopped, and judging by the look in his hazel eyes, Ricky seemed to be a bit displeased.

"You sound like a bitch. That's how Pokémon battles in the real world are, kid. None of that Pokémon League p**** shit. You're supposed to fight with your Pokémon. Unless you think Pokémon are slaves for your enjoyment. Hm?"

When Ricky put it like that, Acer didn't really know how to respond. Glancing at Froakie, was that what it was thinking? Wondering why it should be battling for people like him instead of itself. Was it wrong for trainers to just use Pokémon to fight their own battles? But that's what Pokémon battles were, though. Pokémon battling Pokémon for sport with trainers commanding them. Perhaps he had underestimated the choice Pokémon had when they joined a trainer. The choice was all theirs. Even then, was it right that the trainers were the ones who got to avoid all the harm? Acer didn't know and now honestly wasn't the time to think about that. Right now, he was more concerned about Froakie, who seemed just about ready to doze off.

"End it now, Poliwag." As Ricky said that, the Poliwag's right hand began to glow white before it charged at Froakie. It aimed to end the match with one last Pound. This was all his fault. If only he was a better trainer, one Froakie could respect, they wouldn't be in this predicament. He had to change something right now. Clenching his fists, Acer used whatever willpower he had remaining to force himself up.

"Damnit, I can't lose like this! Froakie use-"

His sentence was left unfinished as the Poliwag pounded Froakie so hard, the frog-like Pokémon was sent flying straight into Acer, knocking both of them down in one hit. Acer had been too late. Froakie was already sleeping soundly, a rest only deepened by the knock-out blow. Meanwhile, Acer just laid on his back, defeated and in pain. He could hear the chuckles from Ricky as he waltzed up them. Acer had been prepared to lose battles. He expected losses and knew they were a necessary part of any trainer's journey. Yet, this first loss wasn't any normal one.

"Looks like you owe me big time now, kid."

Carefully brushing the slumbering Froakie off his chest, Acer slightly raised himself up as he glared directly into the hazel eyes of Ricky. The bastard had gotten him. Acer could admit that. However, it wasn't over for him yet. He still had an ace up his sleeve and just needed to stall a bit longer for time.

"Nah, I don't owe you shit. I don't even got 50k to give you right now." Trying to sound confident again, Acer fessed up to not having the amount of money that had been bet. Of course, he figured Ricky already knew this. Something which was proven correct by some snickering from the man. He didn't even seem bothered by that information.

"Hey kid, you know what? I'm gonna teach you another lesson. Wanna know the best weapon to deal with a Pokémon?" Bending over slightly, Ricky brought his right hand around his back and attempted to pull something out. Acer was surprised by the somewhat tone, but his eyes grew wider when he saw Ricky pulled out.

"A gun."

The weapon was pointed directly at Acer. The teen couldn't even breathe. He just sat there, frozen in fear, as he saw his life flash before his eyes. What can go wrong, will go wrong. That's exactly what had happened today. This had been the worst possible start to his Pokémon journey. Perhaps the worst start by any trainer in all of history. This was literally like the worst possible outcome. There was no way this was happening. This had to be a dream, yet the pain in his chest told him it wasn't. Just as Acer had told his parents, he had wanted a regular Pokémon journey. Was it their fault he couldn't have that or was it his? He might not ever know. Acer just closed his eyes and waited for it to end.

A large gust of wind suddenly blew through the area, forcing Acer to hold on to the tip of his cap. A hole in the sandy skies suddenly appeared, allowing a ray of light to shine through it. Floating downwards, like a deity from the heavens above was a dragon. Even as it descended, every flap of its large, turquoise wings caused the wind to pick up. With its large, teardrop-shaped ears that seemed to resemble loudspeakers, this draconic creature was unlike any other. As it landed on its feet, it graced both Acer and Ricky with a noble presence befitting that of a mighty dragon. Opening his eyes, Acer got his first look at a Noivern. Its fierce, yellow eyes scanned the area, first finding him, then Ricky.

"Finally."

Smirking, Acer knew this was going to end just as he expected it to. Hopping off the large Noivern were two officers and a Growlithe. The puppy Pokémon stood nearby the much younger, blonde-haired officer, while the older one pulled out a gun instead. He pointed it directly at Ricky, wordlessly threatening to shoot him if the man attempted to make another move.

"Ricardo Descartes. Wanted man in three different regions with a list of charges so long even I can't even name them all myself. To think you were still roaming around here even after all these years." The elder officer stated as he stared down the wanted criminal. It took a few seconds for Acer to recognize the face, but he soon realized that the man speaking was none other than the Commissioner of the Lumiose Police Branch, Charles Thayer. It couldn't get any better than him. Even Ricky seemed to know the Commissioner was, which was only a testament to his well-respected reputation.

"Well, look who it is. Been a while, Charles! How you been?"

To the surprise of the younger officer, Ricardo seemed to regard Commissioner Thayer as an old friend. Considering how serious the Commissioner seemed to be, they must've had many encounters in the past. It was strange to even think the Commissioner had failed to bring a criminal like this Descartes guy in, but now that he was here, maybe things would be different. However, the younger officer was also concerned about something else.

"Are you sure it's alright to use a gun in this situation, Commissioner?! You could hurt the boy if you miss!"

The younger officer shouted to the Commissioner with concern evident in his voice. It was a justified concern. Should he miss horribly, Acer could be shot. Even worse, that could give Ricardo a chance to freely retaliate. Yet, with all that in mind, Charles didn't even budge on his stance."

"I won't miss, Louise. Trust me."

In a calm manner, the Commissioner reassured the young officer. With how sincere he sounded, Louise had no choice to believe him. It would be a disservice to the entire police force if he couldn't trust the man he and so many others looked up to as the leader in their pursuit for justice. On the other hand, Ricardo just started to laugh after hearing those words of confidence.

"So the great Commissioner Thayer needs backup now. You must be getting old!"

Calling out the Commission for what may be a sign of weakness, Ricardo seemed to raise the gun towards Acer's head. The situation seemed to be growing tenser as each second went by. One misstep by any of them and Acer could very well end up dead. All he could do was put his faith in the Commissioner, just like Louise. Taking one look at Commissioner Thayer, his calm and composed demeanor made Acer feel like he was in safe hands.

"Please. You know well enough that I don't need any backup." Without a second of hesitation, Charles then turned to his right and pointed the gun at his fellow officer.

*BANG*

*BANG*

*BANG*

Louise had no time to react as three bullets were suddenly planted into his chest at point-blank range. The impact of each shot caused him to move backward before falling onto his back. The man must've been in shock as his bloodied hands were visibly shaking as he looked up at them. His breaths grew increasingly heavy as he struggled to keep on breathing. It was tough with his own blood choking him.

"C-C-Ca-Car..."

Shock was the only thing that coursed through Acer as he watched Louise cough up blood during his dying breaths.

*BANG*

He didn't even react when Charles shot the gun again, this time putting a bullet into the head of the Growlithe. The yelp by the puppy Pokémon was replaced by a dying cry before it soon passed away.

*BANG*

All Acer could do by now was watch as Charles then put one last bullet into Louise to silence him for good before turning to Ricardo with a disgustingly wicked grin plastered over his face.

"I'm old-fashioned. What can I say?"

Then they both laughed. He listened to them laugh like Mightyena. He watched as flames erupted from the Noivern's mouth and down onto the poor Growlithe. He watched as the Flamethrower roasted the Pokémon and turned it into a fresh meal. He watched as the Noivern picked up the Growlithe, piercing it with red claws, reddening them more with blood, before it began to devour its meal. He watched as the two animals disguised as humans began to chop it up like old pals. He watched Ricardo kick Louise down into the pit to rest alongside the remains of the other dead bodies. His vision started to go blurry. Acer could feel his entire body shaking with the rage welling up inside of him, but also fear. He wanted to act, to do something, but he knew the effort would be fruitless in his current state.

'I need to run. I need to run. I need to fucking run!'

Breathing heavily, all he could think to do now was run. With all of them distracted, Acer had to take advantage of this opportunity however he could right now. The first thing he did was return Froakie to its Pokéball, before getting up and attempting to scurry away. Of course, both of them couldn't miss his attempted escape, so Acer did the only remaining option he had left. Something any person would usually do in a frantic situation such as this one. He shouted hopelessly for help.

"SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!"

Hearing the panicked screams of the teenager running for his life was more than enough to put a smile on their faces. Ricky then took the initiative by aiming his gun at Acer once more and firing.

*BANG*

*BANG*

After hearing those gunshots, the last thing Acer felt was a sharp pain in his left shoulder before everything went black.

June 9th, Azalea Town Gym.
Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

Bugsy stood opposite to Reina, arms crossed and with a confident smile spread across his face. As his challenger and her Pokemon moved into action, his right arm stretched out, index finger extended further, pointing toward the field.

"You'll need a lot more than that, lemme tell ya!" The long-time gym leader called out as the Marshtomp's water pulse slammed into an invisible wall inches in front of Shedinja, and was sent exploding harmlessly around the halo-bearing bug. "Shedinja, lead off with a Confuse Ray of your own!"

The two status moves were sent out by each Pokemon - confusing, supersonic ways from Marshtomp, and a disorienting light from Shedinja - at around the same time. Buzzing intently, the Shedinja sped around in a strafing circle in an attempt to dodge the low-accuracy supersonic attack. Unable to move fast enough, though, the Shedinja was stopped - just for a moment - in its tracks as it shivered from the invasive sound of the status move.

In an instant, a red beam of a PokeBall was recalling the Pokemon to the device in Bugsy's left hand, even as he threw out a new one with his right:

"Go, Escavalier!" The Cavalry Pokemon charged out of its ball at a galloping speed. "Use Scary Face!"

From under its Roman-style helmet, Bugsy's Escavalier stared out toward Reina's Marshtomp, flashing an intimidating look, like it was excited to run its javelin through Marshtomp's belly.

Penny Lepiter; Trainer Ranking — Unranked
June 9th. Slowpoke Well.
Unexpectedly, Penny quite enjoyed her visit to the man-made well; the Slowpoke were all too - well - slow to really bother with her presence, and there didn't seem to be too many other wild Pokemon around to give her a problem. The curious, wannabe researcher spent her time moving between the swathes of Slowpoke, measuring their body sizes as well as tail length; apparently Slowpoke tails were quite delicious snacks, and expensive, though the young girl couldn't quite understand why anybody would want to cut a tail off of a poor, dumb Slowpoke. Even if they didn't notice until the tail grew back, she felt like she'd be guilty just knowing she'd done it.

"I ain't been here in like a decade!" A voice whistled up from the second floor of the Well. A gravel-like voice.

"'Ay, hush, you." A second person - more hushed but still gruff sounding - said, "We just got here we ain't need you blowing up our spot."

"Aw, c'mon, Berdier," The first man sighed. "It ain't like we're here to cut off no tails again!"

"I said hush," Berdier growled. "Unless you wanna see the inside of another Cerulean City jail cell, Munge."

"Tha's rude, Berdie'," The man supposedly called Munge huffed. "I thought we was friends."

"Friends my arse..." Berdier grumbled.

At first, Penny felt like she should flee; but then, her curiosity once again got the best of her. Moving, as quietly as possible, over to where the ladder led down to the second floor, she paused, waiting. The two men's' footsteps disappeared further away down the small dungeon. Looking down, she let out a huff.

"Blocked?" She moaned, looking at an impassable array of boulders and heavy-looking water. Penny wouldn't be able to get down there just yet, "Maaaaan."

Penny sat down for just a minute, hugging her knees to her chest as she tried to figure out a quick way around the obstacles. Instead, a light bulb popped on overhead as she leapt up to her feet.

"Reina's gym battle!" Penny said, her words ringing around the well as she took off toward the ladder. Hopefully, she hadn't missed the action.

June 9, Wednesday - Azalea Town, Johto. Reina, current rank, 49,425.

Reina couldn't be more confused as to why her Pokemon's Water Pulse had failed, had it been protect? There's wasn't much time to think it over though, the opponent landing a Confuse Ray on Peque, causing the Marstomp to stumble a bit as it tried to maintain its balance. To make matters worse, Bugsy made a quick switch, bringing out another bug type Reina wasn't familiar with. Wow that was fast, I need to practice switching in between Pokemon. Reina's mind quickly tried to process if she should switch out Peque, but again, she needed to know what this new Pokemon was capable off.

Meanwhile, the Marshtomp looked worried as the Scary Face did its work, making the water type doubtful whether he should attack, making his movements a bit slower. To make things worse, he was having a hard time trying to distinguish between up and down.

"We can do this Peque, don't need to aim if we can hit everything!" Reina clenched her fist and stomped her right foot on the ground, "Earthquake!" She called out, raising her right fist into the air.

Peque tried to shake off the confusion before stomping the ground as hard as he could, however the impact didn't work as vibrations traveled up his body as if the attack had backed fired and caused him to stumble backwards. "Again!" Reina called out. The Marshtomp shook his head once more and leaped into the air, landing with all his weight on the arena floor and causing violent vibrations across the field, spreading quickly in a circular motion around the water type.

Mt. Coronet, Sinnoh Region

Acacia wasn’t the only one with a recovery move. When Infernape recovered from being knocked away by Reversal, it immediately used Slack Off to recover some of its HP. Flint's hands were in his pockets, a confident smirk on his lips. It wasn't an overstatement to say Acacia's Arcanine would be a good warm-up before his next challenge against the Sinnoh Champion. The Phenomena of Battle Bond was extremely rare, even more so than mega-evolution, and with power that was no less. But regardless of how strong he was, Flint wasn't going to lose here: Battles weren't about appearances or what's weak or strong. It all came down to whether the combatants could burn hot or not—and no one burned hotter than him.

For the first time, Flint's voice rose with smoldering passion.

“Alright Infernape, burn them right down to ashes! Flare Blitz!”

With a howl that shredded the air, Infernape became engulfed in its own flames, burning away at its body and magnified by the last remnants of Sunny Day. Rushed forward the Fire Ape met Arcanine Head-On and as the two fiery titans collided, wells of heat scorched the battlefield, flash-evaporating the surrounding water.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.
Confidence bolstered by the early success of his status moves, Bugsy smiled and folded his arms in eager satisfaction. With the scary face having slowed Marshtomp down, it seemed now as if the Cavalry Pokemon were catching up — though it still had a little ways to go.

"Great, one more, show 'em why you're so fearsome!" the Bug-type trainer called out, trusting in the way he'd trained Escavalier. While Reina's Marshtomp struggled with its confusion, his Escavalier moved in to repeat its intimidating look. "Now, charge! Use Double-Edge!"

Galloping forward with its duel lances and a mean glint in its eye, Escavalier set its sights on the Marshtomp. Shaking off its confusion for a moment, the Mud-Fish Pokemon bounced into the air and landed on the ground with a thunderous tremor — even as the battlefield split and shattered all around the charging Escavalier, its focus remained undeterred. The rattling ground and flying debris chipped away at its exterior armor, leaving scratches and marks to indicate it had taken damage — but it charged all the same, maintaining a deadly even balance as it rush up to crash its great body into Marshtomp's.

June 9th. Slowpoke Well.
Right at the top rung of the ladder leading up and out of the Slowpoke Well, Penny found her fingers being threatened by an enormous pair of boots attached to a black-clad scoundrel, a devious smile creeping up at his lips.

"Eep!" Penny squeaked out in nervous fear as she almost lost her grip, slipping down a couple rungs to avoid getting her extremities crushed.

"Well, well, well," the man spoke like a mean whisper. "Someone's snooping' bout the Well."

He made a tsk-tsk-tsk sound with his tongue, circling the entrance down to where the Slowpoke gather.

"And them two idiots don't even fuckin' know, I bet." Disappointed, the man shook his head. He pulled a cell phone from a hidden pocket — a very old one though, fitting snug in the palm of his hand, flip-opening and with a T-9 keyboard.

"I was just checking the place out," Penny lied. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I bet," He sighed, taking a look around to ensure there weren't any on-lookers. How could there not be, Penny wondered; it wasn't late, there wasn't anything happening. Was it just...bad luck? "Still, can't take a bloody chance, y'know."

"W-wha-?" Penny started to ask.

"Kadabra, Psybeam!" It all happened so fast, his voice, the red beam, a pair of spoons poking down the face of the well at her.

Then, she felt her body struck by an invisible force, like a transparent truck driving into her at full force — then Penny felt her body slam against the harsh ground of the well, and her vision went blurry, and then dark.

June 9, Wednesday - Azalea Town, Johto. Reina, current rank, 49,425.

"Peque look out!" Reina called out, but the slow movements of her Pokemon were too slow to follow up on the warning.

The Marshtomp took the hit directly sending it flying through the field, hitting the ground rolling and finally smashing into a tree. The water type fell flat on his face, struggling to get to his feet once again, and slowly walking back towards the battlefield. Reina began to feel her heart beating against her chest, panic overcoming her as her first Pokemon was down to his last moments. To make things worse, she looked around for Penny, no sign of her. Should she switch Pokemon? Peque looked determined to fight and taking him back felt like a jab to his pride. Reina was surprised though, as the Marshtomp once again faced his opponent and a blue aura began to glow around his body, a small stream of water began to flow around the Pokemon as he took his last stance.

"Okay, let's show them what you can do, Water Pulse!" Reina pointed towards the Escavalir with the same determination that Peque was showing.

The water flowing around Peque absorbed into his water as he took in a deep breath, longer that the first one, and then shoot a massive bullet like water ball, a Water Pulse bigger than the first one he had used.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.
He had to give merit to their fighting spirit, but Bugsy had seen this youthful confidence far too many times. Hell, that confidence had been his own once, a long time ago. Still, respect and admiration wouldn't conspire for him to give his foe an inch.

In spite of Escavalier's indomitable will and its unflinching desire to see its battles through to the end, the Gym Leader could tell — the Earthquake had done quite a number on the Bug/Steel Pokemon, and the recoil from its own attack had sent it reeling back and struggling to turn its mental power into physical strength. While it might have more in its tank than Reina's Marshtomp, it wasn't much more.

"Come back, Escavalier!" Bugsy's voice called out, his hands shifting from their crossed position into action once again. In another thin, red flash, his second Pokemon was swapped out, this time replaced by his first — Shedinja.

And for all the power of Peque's second Water Pulse, it, too, splashed harmlessly against the Shed Pokemon's miraculous, invisible shield.

"Brute force isn't going to win you this battle, and neither is a single Pokemon!" Bugsy called out, feeling compelled to offer advice. Yet almost in the same breath, he called out to his own Pokemon, left arm sweeping violently as he made the command. "Go, Shedinja, use Absorb!"

The halo hanging around Shedinja's head shone brilliantly, reflecting the Gym's artificial light for a brief moment before an absorbent, green energy started to flicker around Marshtomp, trying to relieve it of the last of its health.

June 9, Thursday - Azalea Town, Johto. Reina, current rank, 49,425.

Reina's pride told her to prove Bugsy wrong, but she had fallen for that too many times. His words, connected into her brain, thinking the best way to win was to learn from the experienced gym leader. "Protect!"

Peque shook his head once again, wearing the Confuse Ray off and creating a small force field around him, keeping the absorb from reaching him. The had bought Reina a few seconds to think of her next move, so far she knew that bug had some sort of magical barrier, but it seemed Bugsy had to switch it out when it became confused, was that strategy or was the Pokemon useless in that state? Either way, switching was her best option for now, saving that improved Water Pulse was probably a better idea.

"Peque switch, go Blue Demon!" She held out Peque's Pokeball with her left hand and quickly tossed the next one with her right.

Out of the Pokeball emerged a Hawlucha, wearing a blue wrestling style mask. He spread his arms and wings wide open and took a glorious pose, before flexing his muscles. "Blue, Aerial Ace!" Reina called out.

The Hawlucha nodded and then jumped in the air, twirling in a drill like manor and diving towards his opponent while wind gathered and began to spin around him.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

"A slick switch, but you won't catch me slipping up just yet!" Bugsy called out, one hand gripping the empty PokeBall of his Shedinja — maybe for the first time giving away a hint of worry that the battle might turn the wrong way. "Shedinja, use Protect as well!"

Just as the speedy, flying sweep by the Wrestling Pokemon would have connected and knocked out the Shedinja for good, a protective barrier around itself just like Marshtomp had. But Bugsy could see the writing on the wall — he needed to deal with that Hawlucha, or the fight would get a lot dirtier.

"Switch again, Escavalier!" He cried out, spinning this time as he withdrew Shedinja and exchanged Pokemon, hurling his PokeBall with enough force to create a sizeable distance between his Pokemon and the recently-charged Hawlucha. "X-Scissor, as fast as you can!"

Afforded little time to rest, Escavalier still looked pretty worn down, but his will to fight remained. However, Hawlucha was by far the faster Pokemon, and would certainly be able to prepare a counter-attack to the charging Cavalry Pokemon.

June 9th. ???.

"Oi whatchoo kidnappin' a fucken girl for, Garpe?" she recognized the voice, even though the intense pain of a ringing migraine.

Everything felt cold and dark, like the Slowpoke Well, but when Penny's sight returned to her, she couldn't exactly recognize her surroundings. Even the oddly calming sound of the brainless water-psychic types doddering about was long gone — Penny just couldn't figure out why.

"I ain't kidnapping her, man, I'm fucken robbing her." the intimidating man - with a very unintimidating name - grumbled an unconvincing response.

"Oh, well, whachyou doin' takin' so damn long then?" That was...Munge? Or Berdier? What the hell kind of names were these?

"You two idiots got lost in that stupid Well and I had to find you first." Garpe was clearly the leader; or, the semi-competent one.

"Aw c'mon, Garpe, your hiding place is bloody confusing to find, man." Berdier asked, clearly off-put by the fact that his once-petty crimes had been upgraded to the very not-petty assault and kidnapping.

"It wasn't even the right fucken place AH HELL-" the trio's leader had to stop himself from losing it all. Penny could hear the sound of cheap, leather gloves clenching in pure rage.

Penny, still laying on the ground somewhat disoriented, tugged at the tight rope tied around her wrists to bind her. She found the same of her ankles, though at the moment she preferred to focus on getting her hands free. She felt hard-pressed, however, to move quickly, while the argumentative thugs threw curses at each other, not paying her a lick of attention. They seemed to have congregated in a tight circle about five meters away from her.

"Naw c'mon Garpe you always treat us like dipshits but now you got us into some real trouble here man," Munge - the higher-pitched, shrieky voiced thug - whined like a lost child for a moment. "Why'd you have to take her along with us!?"

"I-I fucken panicked okay!" Garpe said, displaying a hint of imperfection. He'd attacked her so coolly, so calmly — but he didn't know what he was doing.

She froze in place when their eyes all fell on her. She played unconscious still, trying to breathe deep, slightly irregular.

"Shut the hell up, we'll take her shit while she's still out and dip." Garpe said, having made the decision all on his own. Not willing to stand up to him, the two goons - Munge and Berdier - moved to comply.

Last edited:

Reina gritted her teeth as once again the mysterious bug type defended itself and was switched out. How am I supposed to deal with that thing? No matter what I throw at it, it doesn't seem to be affected by it! She had to refocus though, as the Excavalir joined the battle once again, this time going for a direct attack on Blue Demon.

"Let's meet them head on, Cross Chop!" Reina made a cross with her fist over her chest while her Hawlucha did the same.

Blue Demon rushed forward extending his crossed arms in front of him before colliding with Escavalir. The impact caused Blue Demon to be lunged backwards, but a quick spread of his wings allowed him to regain his balanced and gave him the ability to land on two feet with a majestic stand, both of his arms pointing towards the right while he buried his face into his left shoulder. Reina couldn't help but feel confident watching Blue Demon perform, but it wasn't time to admire her Pokemon, she focused back on the battle ready to take on whatever Bugsy threw at her next.

~Aldon Charlton, June 8th, Route 33...~

Leaving a large cave was a weary Aldon and Skol as they looked around Red clouds dotted the sky as the sun set on the duo. Azaelea town was not too far off. They could visit Slowpoke Well the next day. Skol was delighted to the idea as they headed to the next town to get food. Upon reaching Azaelea Town, they grabbed some cheap food that costed roughly 500 Pokedollars. Aldon would cook the food himself making a nice lil meal for him and his seven pokemon. That night Aldon and Skol slept in their tent. Unknown '!' was dropped off at the pc.

~Aldon Charlton, June 9th, Slowpoke Well...~

Dolan had woke up the next day confused and in a daze. Hair in a mess, no makeup, drool running down his face, and no filters. He looked around to see Skol still passed out dreaming cheerfully. Aldon got out of his tent and changed clothes outside the tent. There wasn't anyone nearby to see him change so it wasn't a big deal. In his new clean clothes, he went back in his tent to wake up Skol. Gently shaking his sleepy slowpoke, Skol eventually woke up.

"Rise and shine, bud" Aldon said.
"Sloooow...?" Skol yawned causing Aldon to yawn.
"No! No sleeping time now, it's time to G-O Go! Heading down their merry way. It was indeed Thursday. Not Wednesday. Aldon hummed to himself as he made his way down the route. A few slowpokes could be seen walking around. Aldon was delighted to see such beautiful majestic pokemon. Truly a fascinating and... rather dopey pokemon. It was glorious! Arceus smiled the day the first slowpoke was created. Skol slowly but surely approached the other slowpokes rather cheerfully. The others seemed to enjoy Skol's company. The Slowpokes exchanged happy looks, and began talking. About what? Aldon didn't speak slowpoke so he didn't know.

Aldon approached the well, "Hellooooooo helllooooooo llllooooooo llloooo looooo loooo loooo..." Aldon said creating a echo as he spoke into the well.

"Are there any slowpokes down there
there there there there?" Aldon didn't expect much of a response as he assumed there was nothing but slowpoke down there. He waited for Skol to get finished interacting with the other slowpokes before considering going down. There was a ladder. Aldon and Skol looked down the well to see how deep it was.

$15,200
14x pokéballs
5x Super Potions
3x Full Heals
6x Oran berry,
Cell Phone
Waterproof sleeping bag
Travel cooking supplies
Portable tent
Hiking and archeology tools.
Flashlight

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

The Cross-Chop connected, sending the wounded Escavalier flying, slamming against the damaged ground from before. The Bug/Steel type never stood a chance, really, but Bugsy had quite expected that. But none of his Pokemon were quick enough to go up against the Hawlucha face-to-face.

A red flag flew up into the air, hoisted by the referee observing the battle from a high-up platform to the side of the room. He called out:

"Escavalier is incapable of fighting! Busy has 2 Pokemon remaining! The Challenger — 3."

Bugsy grit his teeth, but couldn't deny a smile.

"You know, I've been told for a long type about the inherent weaknesses of the Bug-type, to keep my hobby a hobby and to catch some stronger Pokemon," The Gym Leader announced to his challenger, his hand falling to an untouched PokeBall clipped to his belt. "I've always been underestimated, just like the Bug-type. And you know what? Just like me, the Bug-type has grown better and stronger as the years go on. And I'll prove it to you now! Go, Vikavolt!"

The Electric, Stag Beetle Pokemon emerged from its capsule, voltage coursing between its long, blocky pincers.

"Use Thunderbolt!"

Before Bugsy even finished his command, the electric-bug collected electricity at the tip of its pincers, preparing to deliver a devastating lightning strike at the flying, Wrestler Pokemon.

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist
Charade

"Not backing down huh? Hmmm! That's pretty cool, standin' up to a guy like me! I'd offer you a role as a grunt if you weren't my enemy right now. Croagunk! Let's show 'em, Crimson Crew style~!"

"Gunk!"

Croagunk and Charade both flashed a pair of gang signs before charade pointed forward at politoed.

"Let 'em have the bullet punch!"

Croagunk flashed forward, it's fist flying fast as it aimed to strike up from politoed's jaw to try and stun it with shock so it could preform a follow up blow imbued with poison.

National Park, Johto

Oh god this is actually happening...
The reality of it all had come crashing at once, as it seemed this guy refused to stand down and as if he sensed his weakness had his Croagunk launch a bullet punch as Politoed readied itself for battle. Desmond struggled to think of what to do as he had been far from a seasoned fighter and acted on instinct.

"P-poli m-move!" Desmond cried out as the Politoed had taken this as a dodge and moved to avoid bullet punch; just barley as Desmond's command had been delayed due to the aforementioned panic.

Desmond sighed in relief, but he had to command an attack and defaulted to a basic one. "U-use water gun!"

"Poli!" Politoed cried out as it fired a powerful stream of water and aimed to blast the Croagunk right in the chest.

Reina's heart filled with inspiration as she heard the words given by the gym leader. She knew what it was like to feel weak and what Bugsy said made said, she just needed to get stronger. She looked towards the Azalea Town gym leader and nodded, her green eyes then changing focus on the new opponent. She had very little information about Vikavolt, but the name and appearance gave off what she needed to know, it was an electric type. The confirmation came right away as he started the battle with a Thunderbolt.

"Detect!" Reina reached for Peques PokeBall while calling out "Encore!"

Blue Demon's eyes gave a blue glow as he predicted where the the electric attack would hit. This allowed him to roll out of the way just in time to avoid getting hit. He quickly stood up and raised his hands in the air, clapping at a certain rhythm. The clapping sent odd waves in the air towards the bug type.

"Blue, switch out!" Reina called out, recalling her Hawlucha back into its PokeBall and sending out her Marshtomp. "Water Pulse, go!"

Peque, looking like he was about to collapse, gather water around him again, the blue aura taking its place around him and shooting the cannon ball water attack towards the Vikavolt.

National Park, Johto

Charade's Croagunk eyed the politoed as it shifted directions, firing a water gun right up at his chest. The frog put his arms in front of him, bracing for the hit. As the water gun impacted him, he slid along the concrete of the park, pushed along until the water stream came to a halt.

"Ew! Did your frog just SPIT on my frog?! That's totally unhygienic! GEEZ! Okay, let's do a dastardly one! Poison sting 'em!"

"Croag-Croag-UNK!"

Croagunk puffed up his cheeks before releasing a flurry of tiny purple stingers. They began to pepper over at politoed, some of the stingers being spiked duds while others covered in the thick purple poison. With any luck? That frog would get struck by the poison and fall soon after!

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

A good set of moves, he couldn't deny; Reina knew what she was doing, even if she'd started out quite shakily. But now, Bugsy was on the back foot, and she had a very good opportunity to keep pushing until Bugsy was on his back and begging for an end to the fight. He couldn't let that happen, however.

"Don't think I haven't seen this all before!" he said, simply, going back into the same motions as he'd been doing all fight. Right as Hawlucha used Encore, he was recoiling his Vikavolt and switching it out for Shedinja. As he did, Reina did the same, instinctively called out for her wounded Marshtomp to use its signature water move. "Shedinja, Absorb again!"

The water pulse splashed harmlessly around the Shed Pokemon for a third time, the bug/ghost using the cover of the attack to release its Absorb, with green shards of light emanating all around Marshtomp, once again trying to sap away the last of its consciousness.

Reina was taken back, surprised as how the Shedinja had managed to send out and attack while defending at the same time. Peque couldn't respond in such a quick manner, he was still blasting off his Water Pulse when the Absorb hit. He cried out as his remaining hit points were drained. He feel face down on the arena, unwilling to stand up. Reina returned her starter into his PokeBall and sighed loudly. She was going to use this small transition to catch her breath.

"I'm wrecking my brain trying to figure out, Shedinja, is it? He's amazing, never seen anything like it." She reached for a different PokeBall this time, "If I win you should tell me the secret behind him, if I lose, you'll see me coming back to challenge you again!" She sent out her next Pokemon.

The long blue serpent like Pokemon slider in circles before spreading her wings from her head opened and moving upward, facing her opponent with a serious look, she let out a melody like cry while shaking her tail like a rattle.

"Let's go Maya, may our ancestors lead us to victory today! Go, Thunder Wave!"

The Dragonair stretched her body upwards even further, the blue sphere on her neck glowing a bright blue light that transferred to her horn and from there it shot a blue wave of electricity towards the Shedinja.

Esther
Thursday, June 9 – Budew Inn, Motostoke, Galar Region​

It was 8 am and Esther’s alarm had gone off an hour and a half ago. On a normal day she’d be out in the field spooling the first silk, still wet with morning dew and well before the harsh sunlight could damage its fibers. A thousand miles from home, with no duties to attend and seduced by a bed that was sinfully soft—Esther had decided to sleep in. Alas, after an hour, it wasn’t to be.

“Up and at ‘em Essy, we’ve got a long day ahead of us.”

The curtains clattered and sunlight illuminated the room; Esther groaned and was echoed by a weak hiss. Near the foot of her bed, curled into a scaley ball, was Pyrrha. On the recommendation of her brother, the drake was free to roam the moderately sized hotel room; in his words, being outside the Pokéball and physically in the presence of Esther would help the drake get used to her. It spelled sense to Esther and so that’s what she did. So far…well, Pyrrha still hissed when approached but the drake had chosen to sleep on the bed with Esther over the floor and that had to count for something, right?

“Freshen up and meet me downstairs for breakfast. We’ve got a lot of shopping ahead of us.”

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

Another red flag, hoisted up into the air, the referee declaring:

"Marshtomp is unable to battle! Challenger Reina, 2 Pokemon remaining!"

To Bugsy's dismay, the 3rd Pokemon his challenger had chosen was a godforsaken Dragonair — this girl had misled him with the Marshtomp; what seemed to be her best trained team member turned out to be the least devastating to his overall game-plan. He had to admit, he didn't quite see himself getting out the situation he was in.

"So the dance continues!" He declared, once again making the switch between Shedinja and his other Pokemon, using his electric-type to absorb the blow of his opponent's Thunder Wave. Even still, a bead of sweat bulged at Bugsy's forehead. He could only keep stalling that way so much longer. "And don't worry — win or lose, this has been a great fight, Reina! You can ask me whatever you want. First, though, we've got to finish this! Vikavolt, use Bug Buzz!"

The Vikavolt's wings began to vibrate with a vicious force, sending it out as kinetic energy aimed to crash into Dragonair.

Reina couldn't be happier, a gym leader had admired they were having a great fight and that just boosted her more. She felt the adrenaline rush through her. Even though the two were down to two Pokemon, she felt the climax of the battle was coming soon. A big grin spread across the Mexican girl as she punched the air and called out her next command.

"Maya, tank it! Then retaliate with Extreme Speed!"

Maya brace herself, curling up as she felt the attack hit her body. She let out a cry as she felt the vibrations travel through her. However, she used her coiled up body as a spring, launching at incredible speed towards her opponent.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

Now, Bugsy could tell, was the time to stand his ground as well. With a blinding speed, the Dragonair named Maya rushed in and struck into Vikavolt with a vicious barrage. But the Stag Beetle Pokemon held out as well, unable to keep up with - and dodge - such an attack, Bugsy had to use that to his own advantage.

"Now, once again, with the Dragonair right there! Bug Buzz!" He called out, flouring his hand out as he made commands of his electric/bug.

As if it knew what he were planning, the Vikavolt's wings had already begun to vibrate forcefully once more, hoping to send its kinetic energy crashing into the Dragonair once more for what Bugsy hoped would be the finishing blow.

June 9th. ???.
"Ayo what the fu-?" One of the thugs cried out in shock as all three of Penny's Pokemon leapt into unanimous action. Garpe, Berdier and Munge had each snatched a Ball out of Penny's bag, but upon inspecting the contents, Ditto, Joltik and Heracross had all burst open in vigorous defense of their trainer.

Before Munge could even move, Heracross was slamming its pincers into his chest with a vicious headbutt, sending the unsuspecting thug crashing against a large, immovable stone that seemed to block the path up to the first floor. Ditto, in solidarity, transformed into Heracross and performed the exact same move, sending Berdier crashing into a deep pool of water just behind the thugs. Joltik, meanwhile, tore away at Penny's bindings with its tiny - but ferocious - teeth.

"You losers!" Garpe growled, "Why that fucken' boss of ours ever stuck me with you two I-"

Heracross and Ditto moved in to attack Garpe from both sides, all coordinated and everything, but this criminal was a little quicker than his two, pathetic lackies — if only a little.

Ducking under the attack, a bright red beam revealed the man's Kadabra he'd used to attack Penny earlier; without even speaking, the Kadabra moved to act, using its psybeam attack on Ditto, sending it crashing to the ground and rolling back toward where Penny knelt - trying to break loose from her bindings - deforming back into its usual, pink blob, woozy circles where its eyes were supposed to be.

"J-joltik go help Heracross," She whispered. "I need you to use your Bug Bite, he's in trouble."

Nervous, like its trainer, the Joltik nodded, and sped away even as Penny pulled on the fraying rope to free herself.

Maya slammed head first against the Vikavolt. She growled as she met eye to eye with the bug, not literally though, her head is too small. She stood her ground as the Vikavolt began charging his attack. "Dragon Tail!" Reina called out, a bit desperate seeing in what situation Maya was in.

The Dragonair curled up once again, her eyes focused on her opponent as her tail began to gain a silvery glow. Once the Bug Buzz was shot, Maya took the hit on the upper part of her body, however, the bottom part twisted to allow her tail to launch forward like a whip towards her opponent. The impact from the Vikavolt's attack was to close up though, Maya taking the entire move as her body vibrated, causing Maya to let out a loud cry before falling backwards unconscious.

Reina's heart skipped a beat, as she realized she was down to one Pokemon. "Return Maya!" She secured the dragon type into her Pokeball and paused to calm down. "We're gonna win this, I can feel it. Get ready Bugsy!" She sent out Blue Demon once again.

The Hawlucha emerged, spread his wings open before flexing his biceps. He let out a loud battle cry and took a wrestling stand, ready to begin the match.

June 9th. ???.

"Psybeam. Again." Garpe said, hardly even thinking about it.

The psychic blast sent Heracross flying into Penny, who was knocked back against the wall with a thud. But, somehow, the confident criminal didn't see Joltik.

"I can't believe your puny little whimps got the jump on my own guys." he mumbled, upset at the notion, until — from nowhere, the tiny, yellow bug jumped an incredible distance from Garpe and Kadabra's blind side, sinking its teeth deep into the Psi Pokemon's neck. Taken aback, the weakly-defensive Kadabra was knocked out the instant it slammed into the ground.

Joltik had never so much as harmed a fly yet; Penny didn't really use her Pokemon. Ditto was always around to annoy her, and Heracross was there in case she ever needed muscle...but she'd never seen her tiny bug take such violent action. Penny, still tending to Heracross and Ditto both, watched on in almost confusion, unsure of what to do.

"You lil pukey shitfuck fuckbug!" Garpe roared, his attention directed at the brave Joltik, who took several, puny steps back as it prepared another offensive.

The bug took a leap for the thug, but Garpe easily swatted it away back toward Penny, rolling helplessly along on the ground, injured. Penny moved to catch her poor bug, except she was still weighed down by the weight of Heracross, who hadn't yet come to. The electric/bug, somehow, returned to its four legs, standing in protection of his owner. Penny felt...unworthy.

"I'm gonna destroy all the goddamn four of you for this!" Garpe screamed, knees bent and his elbows tucked against his waist. His hand fell to his belt, grasping for a PokeBall when he realized...Kadabra was the only one he had on him.

Were these the worst criminals of all time? The young Penny wondered to herself, gaining confidence from her attacker's incompetence. Garpe had turned his head to look at Munge's crumpled, unconscious body just a meter away. He started to scramble for his fallen comrade, for the PokeBall clipped to the thug's belt.

"Joltik! Use Electroweb!" she cried out, thinking of any and every offensive move she remembered Joltik could use at this stage — just the one.

A sticky web of vibrant, surging electricity rushed forward and slammed into Garpe's side, shocking him and the unconscious (now consciously being electrocuted) Munge as they were trapped further by the spider's web. Even as the electricity died down from the initial attack, the two remained stuck, calling out for Berdier to help — but there was no Berdier to be found.

"Oh my god you guys saved me!" She cried out to the barely conscious Joltik and unconscious Heracross and Ditto, hugging them. "Oh my god that was incredible oh my god! I have to get you to the PokeCenter! Where the hell am I! Where the hell are we!"

Returning all three to their balls, Penny suddenly remembered.

"Reina!" She gasped, remembering her friend's battle, looking for any way to exit the Well.

Then she realized: this wasn't the Slowpoke Well. There was water and immovable boulders, but they didn't block the exit like they had earlier. They'd...moved her to some other cave? She gathered her belongings from a scattered pile on the ground — the trio had scoured her stuff, but hadn't gotten very far in the way of robbing her, though she couldn't quite find some earrings, rings, some spare change, and a few other potions and stuff. Maybe the bungling burglars had filled their pockets too soon and had nowhere else to put her stuff. Either way, they weren't exactly hidden, other than being in a cave.

"These really were the worst criminals of all time." Penny said aloud for the men to hear as she made her way toward an exit upstairs.

Having to avoid several trainers itching to battle and other wild Pokemon, it took Penny maybe half an hour to find the exit, but when she finally saw light, it blinded her; she half-recognized her surroundings, which told her she wasn't too far from Azalea still. But judging from the time on her watch, she could tell she was already well-late for the start of her friend's Gym Battle. Looking to her map, finally with a moment free of fear and desperation, she realized: they'd only taken her to the Union Cave. Might as well have used the Well, idiots, she figured, moving into as full of a sprint as her body would allow. If only she could drop Heracross and Ditto off at the PokeCenter quick, she hoped she could make the very end of Reina's fight.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

"Dragonair is unable to battle!" The referee called out, raising the red flag in his right arm to signal toward Reina. "Challenger Reina has 1 Pokemon remaining! Leader Bugsy, 2 Pokemon!"

Ever confident in her ability, the foreign trainer remained unphased even as the tide of the fight turned once more toward Bugsy's side. The Gym Leader almost paused, swept up in Reina's youthful pride. He'd almost lost track of the fight, the collision of Vikavolt's Bug Buzz against Dragonair, and Dragonair's brutal Dragon Tail slamming against Vikavolt's underbelly — there were sparks, smoke, even as the Dragonair crashed to the ground unconscious, Bugsy lost sight of his own Pokemon.

Until the smoke cleared, and he saw Vikavolt buzzing with its back to him, clearly shaken up and near the end of its ability to fight. Bugsy put two-and-two together instantly; a normal attack like that shouldn't have done that much damage. With its last bit of consciousness, Dragonair had scored a crucial, critical hit.

There was only one Pokemon left in her repertoire — the dangerous Hawlucha. But Bugsy had the answer in his electric-type...he just needed Vikavolt to hold on.

"How can you know you're gonna win," Bugsy cried out, smirking himself as his eyes rose up into the air as the flying Wrestler Pokemon rose up in cocky ascent. All he could do was try to play up his own assurance in himself. "When I feel that I'm gonna win!? Vikavolt! Use Thunderbolt!"

Reina's eyes seemed to glow as she felt the pressure of the battle on her back. "We don't know, but isn't it what makes this fun?" She replied to Bugsy. "Detect! Follow up with Wing Attack!"

Blue Demon's eyes gave out a blue light as he predicted where the Thunderbolt would hit. He rolled forward just in time to avoid taking any damage and quickly stood up, rushing forward towards the Vikavolt. He spread his wings wide before jumping in the air and diving down, right wing first, aiming to take out the bug before it got to him with another Thunderbolt. All or nothing!

Brian Killian - Trainer rank: 267
June 9th - Wyndon, Galar Region

Brian walked out of the Rose of the Rondelands hotel while he adjusted his hat and breathed in to enjoy the air of a new day in Galar. He looked around to see what there was he could do for the morning before his afternoon training with his Pokemon, but in such a massive city like Wyndon, there were too many options to choose from, that was until his pink eyes caught sight of the Battle Cafe, a charming little place for someone like him. The Pokemon trainer smiled as he put his hands in his coat pockets and went to walk inside, he quickly checked his Rotom phone to see the time, curious as to how much of his morning he had left to enjoy.

"Hm, I have time." Brian said to himself before he put his phone back in his pocket and walked into the cafe, there were already several people as it was still morning, so some went to get their breakfast, Brian already ate however, but he enjoyed the simple charm the place gave off and was in no rush on where he felt like he had to be next. He walked over to the counter and pondered as he saw the menu. "I'll have a Roselia tea, please." He said calmly, the waiter on the other side nodded while Brian went to find a table and sat down, the cafe was very quiet, although it wasn't difficult to hear two individuals around his age talk nearby and by the looks of them, they appeared to be Pokemon trainers like himself.

"Did you hear about the strange Pokemon spotted in the Wild Area?" The dark skinned trainer asked before he cut off and ate a slice of his omelette. "Yeah, a lot of people are convinced it's some unseen Pokemon, but that might be because they've never seen a Gigantamax Pokemon before, that alone is surprising." The other trainer replied while the dark skinned one nodded in agreement. "Are you planning to go and battle it? I've yet to get my hands on a Gigantamax Pokemon." The other trainer's face showed looks of concern. "That's the thing, I heard reports that this Pokemon is stronger than a lot of other trainers thought, it's been a week since I heard about that Pokemon, apparently it's still roaming around."

Brian didn't feel comfortable with himself for eavesdropping on another's conversation, yet at the same time, he found himself fascinated by what he heard; a strong Gigantamax Pokemon certainly sounded like it could provide a great challenge and the fact he didn't know what it was made it feel more exciting. He nearly zoned out as he heard the information before the waiter arrived with his tea, Brian smiled and nodded. "Thank you." He said before he went to take a sip and sighed with satisfactory, he turned his eyes to the two talking trainers as they went and left, most likely to go after the Pokemon they talked about.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.
Hawlucha lashed down out of the sky in the blink of an eye, before Vikavolt could ready its next Thunderbolt; the flying Wrestler slammed down into the soft body of Vikavolt's back, between its wings, sending the levitating bug type slamming down into the ground shattered by Reina's Marshtomp. Dust filled the air for a moment, Bugsy clinging onto the capsules for Vikavolt and Shedinja both in stunned anticipation. He had been able to tell the outcome of most of what was happening before it did, but now — now he wasn't sure. Vikavolt should be able to take the attack, but it was far from certain.

But then the dust cleared, Vikavolt's form cratered helplessly in the broken battlefield, its wings no longer buzzing.

A red flag raised into the air, aimed toward Bugsy's side.

"Vikavolt is unable to battle!" the referee called out, loud and clear. "Leader Bugsy has 1 Pokemon remaining. Challenger Reina — also 1 Pokemon!"

Bugsy laughed, loud enough for Reina to hear.

"I've lost quite a lot in my day," he explained, grasping at the fourth PokeBall - the angry Beedrill from before - on his belt with a nostalgia, a fondness. "I've won a fair bit, too, don't get me wrong. But it's been a long time since I've had a Gym challenge where I wasn't using Metapods and Beedrill. Let's give this a proper end, shouldn't we?"

He held out the PokeBall with his Shedinja nestled inside; it wasn't his longest tenured partner, or even his best, but Bugsy was quite enamored with the way it had performed after such a long time out of practice.

"Go, Shedinja!" Bugsy called out, preparing his end-game plan. It didn't look good, but he was far from given up.

June 9th. Azalea Town Gym.
Penny had never run so fast in her life. By the time she'd arrived in the Azalea PokeCenter, she had a number of people huddled around her trying to make sure she was okay. Mostly, she was beat-red - redder than her hair - from the exertion. The nurse, however, contended she might have suffered a brain injury, once Penny quickly explained what had happened to her, and why her Pokemon were injured. Instead, Penny accepted a long drink of water before turning toward the door.

"Of course I'm worried for my Pokemon," she said, gazing out the glass door to the nearby Gym, which she could see clear as day. "But I made someone a promise, and I'd hate to break it."

The receptionist at the front of the Gym tried to explain there was a battle in progress, but the huffing, out-of-breath Penny was able to ask if Reina was the current challenger. When the receptionist nodded, Penny pushed past the probing woman anyway, rushing toward the sound of a thunderous battle.

A small hallway directed her to a section of audience bleachers, which she rushed through with the last of her strength. She bust through a set of glass double-doors overlooking the battlefield, collapsing to the ground from exhaustion right as she heard the words:

"Let's give this a proper end, shouldn't we? Go, Shedinja!"

Reina placed her hand over her chest and nodded. "I promise to make this as memorable as possible!" She took a deep breath while Blue Demon jumped back to his side of the arena. Reina was about to process how to defeat the untouchable bug when a movement near one of the bleachers got her attention. Penny! She made it, she seemed stressed out, probably something delayed her, but she made it. Reina's eyes got a bit watery while she waved towards her friend. We have to make sure Penny gets to see how great we are!

"Let's do this Blue Demon!" Reina took a wrestling stance along with her Hawlucha. "No such things as an invincible Pokemon, watch its movements, learn from it and hit it hard! Hone Claws!"

Blue Demon began sharping his claws by rubbing them against each other, sparks flying out. "Let's go, Aerial Ace!" Reina pointed towards the Shedinja while Blue started sprinting forwards, wings tucked behind him to gain speed, unlike his Aerial ace from before, he ran like an arrow straight towards the Shedinja, the air swirling in a drill like manner around his upper body.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.

The Bug-type Gym Leader frowned as he paid attention to Reina's line of sight toward the audience. He felt the need to respect her pausing at that moment — even if sometimes a lone friend in the audience was the only thing a person needed to push themselves over the top. Still, he realized his advantage hadn't waned; the girl still wasn't sure exactly the limits of Shedinja's Wonder Guard.

"Protect, Shedinja, let's go! Follow it up with a Will-o-Wisp, Shedinja, don't let up!" he called out.

Just as the speedy flier came in to clash against the bug/ghost, a protective shield formed against it, the Hawlucha crashing into it with a vicious accuracy.

Immediately after the clash, Shedinja formed fire from the tip its looping halo, the Shed Pokemon sent out a bright, vicious flame it fired off toward the Wrestler Pokemon in an attempt to burn it; but the Shedinja maintained the flame, trying to spread it across the ceiling, fanning out at the height Hawlucha had been flying. It could at least cause the Wrestler Pokemon to come down low, or stay extra high and give the pair extra separation.

Clambering up to her knees weakly, Penny watched Reina wave from her lower-down position; nervous for her friend, Penny waved back. But she couldn't help but hold her breath as the action seemed to tense, and then pick up. After her earlier incident, she wasn't sure if her poor heart could take any more.

National Park, Johto
Crap

Crap!

CRAP!

Needless to say Desmond had not been used to this kind of action, his attack connected but it seemed to mainly push Croagunk back as it more or less sponged the hit and they responded quickly with a volley of purple darts as a Poison Sting fired their way.

Politoed had responded again as it hopped back and aimed to gain distance on the Poison Sting as it bounced with an almost frantic grace to it.

"Poli! Poli! Toed! Politoed!!"

But it had been pressed as it was forced back as it tried to hop to avoid the poison needles, and as it waited for Desmond to give some command its partner seemed to freeze worried over what right move to make.

Last edited:
As Aldon was about to enter Slowpoke Well, eventually Aldon heard something and soon enough a girl came running out and running off. She moved so fast that Aldon assumed she didn't even notice him.

"What was that all about? The slowpoke in there shouldn't be aggressive, I don't think? Did she lose to one? Aldon waited until he thought the coast was clear. He had Skol hanging on his back as he slowly descended down the ladder and into the well. There were a few pathways. ALdon took one pathway. If was a fairly dark tunnel. Dark enough that he needed his flashlight, though he didn't need it for long since there was a feint light up ahead. small water hole could be seen with slowpoke. A few slowbro, and even a slowking. Some cracks at the top of the cave were big enough that sunlight shot managed to partially give the place light.

The pokemon were casually enjoying the cool water. Skol didn't waste any time getting his feet wet as he submerged himself in the water. Eyes, nose, and part of his tail were the only things now sticking out of the water. Skol had fun interacting with the other pokemon. Skol seemed so happy that Aldon let his other five pokemon out to enjoy themselves too. He stayed there for another hour before eventually leaving. He would eventually make his leave, and return to Azaelea Town. When Aldon was in Violet City, he had heard there was a man in town that could turned apricorns into pokéballs. Aldon would love to find some and see if it were true. It would be an interesting story to tell his family and friends. Perhaps he'd get lucky and meet some people along the way. He had doubts, but maybe. Skol was just happy to have had a good day.

Charade

Charade was getting into the battle, that is, until he saw Desmond shaken, unable to give them correct commands. His smile faded into a frown as he weighed his options.

"Wait wait wait wait, time out for a sec."

He put his hands in a 'T' formation, signifying a timeout as Croagunk stopped his poison sting barrage. The evil overlord of evil put a hand on his chin while the other pointed at his foe.

"Quick question, have you battled like, at any point in your life? You gotta have spirit behind it! Confidence! Just like me~! If you don't have that, it's not fair to your hoppy guy! Your just gonna get him hurt going up against a supervillain like myself! You sure you wanna...uh...do this?"

"We're getting through that shield because we're going to! Don't let up Blue, give it everything you got, put all your energy into it, he can't do this forever!" Reina called pumping her fists into the air.

Blue bounced back after his clash with the Protect that had been used. His eyes set on the incoming Will-O-Wisp, but his instinct told him to follow Reina's advice. Once again, he prepared a Wing Attack, both wings gaining a slight glow as he rushed forwards, the fire attack hitting his chest, burning him, but that didn't stop him. With the burning pain in his chest, Blue sent out a volley of Wing Attacks, attacking with his right one first, then bouncing back to attack with his left and so on, he wouldn't stop until either him or his opponent passed out. "Go Blue Demon go!" Reina called out at top of her lungs as they threw everything they had in that last moment of the battle.

National Park, Johto
"What? No I've uh...I mean, shut up!" Desmond called out, his mind a mess as his opponent seemed to call off the attack. The Politoed had stopped moving back as the Croagunk had relented while he seemed to pass advice of all things his way. Course, he did want to not be involved in this, with any of this but as his Politoed had glanced back with concern for Desmond he had a sudden flash. An old memory, one that had made him clutch the locket around his neck.

"Anytime someone wants to cause trouble, I'll be there to knock their lights out! Me and Polly are gonna rock the Pokemon world, just you watch Des~!"

"I....you want some spirit? Fine, how about this!" Desmond said, as his shaking seemed to have lessened and his tone seemed to gain some fire compared to how he had spoken earlier. "Politoed, you Mud Shot!"

"Poli!" Politoed called out, a moment after shock before it smiled as its lungs seemed to expand before it fired a shot of mud & dirt that seemed targeted at the Croagunk.

I don't want this, but I know he wanted it. I won't disgrace his memory or Politoed by wetting myself doing nothing!

Esther
Thursday, June 9 – Budew Inn, Motostoke, Galar Region​

The sun at high noon hung hot over Motostoke, but a generous blanket of clouds made it a temperate day overall. It was small mercies like this that Esther was thankful for; any hotter and she would’ve been mildly inconvenienced by her immediate hospitalization. The cause? Heatstroke. Although she was no stranger to sweltering weather, the same couldn’t be said about the thick winter gear she had donned: four layers of snug insulation paired with gloves, scarf, and earmuffs; it took warm and toasty to new extremes.

Needless to say, her shopping spree also came with an extreme price tag. Esther had stocked up on an assortment of traveling supplies and gears: a hammock and quilt set, a few sets of casual clothing, her winter ensemble, a separate set of climbing gear, maintenance kit for said climbing gear, a swimsuit, flashlight, first-aid kid, portable stove and fuel, large water bottle and last but not least, a brand new Poketch Plus fitted with holo-casting functions. Luckily, she wasn’t footing the bill for her equipment. That misfortune belonged to Shayan, who had no qualms expressing his gripes.

“Do you really need ALL of this equipment?”

“Of course, how am I supposed to survive weeks in the wilds without the appropriate gear?”

“You wouldn’t need to if you stuck to the designated routes like a normal trainer.”

“I wanna be the very best…like no one ever was—”

“Oh, get off it!” Shayan rolled his eyes.

“Heh—anyway, you don’t get what you want by walking along the well-trodden path. I’ll be on my own after this, so I want to be as ready as I can be.”

“You’ll never really be alone Essy, you can call me or back home any time—scratch that, you have to call home at least once a week or mom will lose her shit.”

They both shared a laugh at that, but it wasn’t a joke.

“So what’s the plan? Stay in Galar and challenge its league? Or do you want me to drop you off in another region?”

“I’d rather not challenge the same League as you, it’ll make me want to rely on you too much—so Galar’s off the table. I don’t even know if I want to challenge the League.”

“If battle is what you want to do, then Galar’s the place to be; anything else? Not so much… Are you still enrolled in dance classes?”

”No…I teach the dance class now.” A cheeky smile split Esther’s lips as her brother whistled his admiration.

“Then maybe you should go to Kalos, be a Poke-Performer.”

“Oh, what’s that?”

“I don’t know too much about it—I haven’t been to Kalos myself—but you can find some of their performances online, check them out.”

“Hmm…” It was a tough decision, further complicated by the fact that she knew very little about any of the career paths that fell under the umbrella of a trainer.

“If you’re undecided then you should explore each of the paths a trainer can take. And you’re in luck, in a week a World Coronation Series match will be held in Motostoke Stadium. Regardless of what you choose, every trainer needs Pokéballs and some starting funds, so I’ll leave you with some. In the meantime, I’d suggest you head south to Lake Axewell, it’s a part of Galar’s wild area; maybe you can put all that gear to some use there.”

With that Esther's plans for the week were made.

National Park Johto

Croagunk's body began to shudder, a telltale sign that something super effective was coming! Croagunk prepared and then preformed a series of backflips as the mud bomb was thrown. This foresight allowed him to escape the attack unscathed as he landed right next to Charade, who held his cape away from the mud defensively.

"Aieee! ...Ha, that's more like it! Now we can have a proper battle! Here I go! Croagunk! Let's use some of that mess they made, eh?"

Croagunk nodded his head. His right hand grabbed a big clump of the mud as he darted right for politoed. Then right as he got close, he chucked the mud right toward their eyes: Mud slap!

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.
"Double team, Shedinja, now!" Bugsy called out, feeling as if it were already far too late for that; one down-side to his constant switching earlier — instead of leaving his ghost/bug in to set-up, he'd used the Shed Pokemon as a revolving door to pivot through; for most of the match it had felt like the right thing to do. Right up until this moment, exactly.

While the Hawlucha danced, slashing through the air with its wings one-by-one, Shedinja danced, horizontal, leaving behind afterimages of itself in its place. Wherever two would be made, two of Hawlucha's wing attacks would slice through and disintegrate them. Soon, the afterimages were disappearing faster than Shedinja could create them. He had to hope the fire chipped away enough residual damage to the Wrestler Pokemon; maybe winning the fight was out of the question, but a draw —

"Now
, Shedinja, use Hex!" he commanded with an out-stretched index finger aimed at the Hawlucha. Like it'd been part of the plan, right from the word now, Shedinja had stopped multiplying to charge a quick, powerful attack at the brim of its halo. And right as the ghost/bug let go of its potentially devastating move —

BOOM!

A large cloud of smoke formed around Shedinja where the force of a Wing Attack had seemingly collided right with it; as the cloud plumed up and out, the few people watching the fight (Penny, the Referee, the Receptionist who'd walked over to finally check on the ruckus, even Bugsy himself) looked on in anticipation as an eerie silence filled the room that waited the outcome of these two, final attacks.

Reina felt as if time had gone to a still. The only thing moving was the smoke cloud covering the two battlers. Her fist began to eagerly tremble, fighting the urge to run into the battlefield to check the results herself. A quick glance at the referee to see if he could see the results, but he seemed to be in the same situation. What was probably a few seconds, it was an eternity to Reina, not knowing if Blue had survived such an attack. Finally, the sounds of the flap of a wing broke the silence and the smoke away.

There stood Blue Demon, spreading his wings wide open standing over his defeated opponent. He used the remaining strength he had to let out one loud squawk, he fell to his knees, crossed his arms over his chest and once again spread his wings wide open, like someone basting in glory, enjoying every second of the moment.

Reina began to feel weak at the knees as she saw her Hawlucha celebrate victory, her eyes getting water and her heart bursting back to life with joy. She bit her lower lip and set her green eyes on the referee, waiting to hear the results of the match.

Bugsy. WCS Rank 119.
With one red flag raised on his left side, toward Bugsy, the referee produced his green flag in his right, waving it in triumphant circles over his head as he announced the decision:

"Shedinja is unable to battle! Leader Bugsy is out of usable Pokemon, and can no longer compete in the battle! Challenger Reina is victorious!"

For just a moment, Bugsy dropped to his knee at his defeat — but he sprung up after only a second, like he'd been revitalized in some kind of way; without wasting movement, he started into a partial sprint across the tattered battlefield, returning the unconscious Shedinja to its PokeBall with a look of worry on his face mixed with that of almost pride. His receptionist, Lena, had rushed to his side, but without a word he'd removed his Pokemon from his belt and handed them to her, a silent order to set to healing his defeated team.

With his right hand out-stretched for a firm handshake, Bugsy held out his left, palm up toward the ceiling, the Hive Badge centered firmly on it, shining against the light.

"Well fought, Reina, well fought," he said with a smile. Something in his eyes told Reina he was truthful in his congratulations, in his lack of bitterness. "Take this badge with you as proof of your hard-fought victory. I hope you continue on, challenging other leaders and growing stronger. I would love to take you on in a proper, WCS-regulation battle."

As he finished speaking, his eyes shined with a hint of excitement, maybe for the first time in a long time.

Though she'd missed much of the spectacle - having arrived to a highly-suspect battleground torn apart by what seemed like an intense bout - Penny could feel the tension in the air passing through to her spine; it was a friendly competition no doubt — the Gym Leader, a tiny, aging man named "Bugsy" of all things (a bit on the nose for a Bug-type trainer, she suspected) had a wide grin on his face that seemed to vacillate between confident, proud and nervous. Reina, well, Reina might as well have been a Fire-type herself for all Penny knew.

But still, in spite of what little she did see, Penny was blown away by it — the high intensity, the velocity of Hawlucha's attacks, the rapid, weaving Shedinja, the explosion as a wing attack finally connected, Hawlucha standing tall through its opponent's final attack...it lasted maybe seconds at the most, but to Penny, it was theatre.

"WOAH, KICKASS!" She yelled out, jumping to her feet with cheering excitement as the referee declared Reina the victor. As Bugsy charged over with a blistering speed to hand over the badge, Penny herself was bolting down what seemed an endless array of metal bleachers, finally hitting the ground floor before having to push her way through thick forestry and brush to get her sights back on her friend. "You did it, congrats!"