• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon: Role Play Thread

Esther
Saturday, June 11 – Gilded Field, Dappled Grove, Galar Region​

“You’re really going to hire him...?”

“Yup.”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that.”

Esther’s eyes bounced between the strange, elfin visit who claimed to be from space and her employer who seemed to have no qualms with the man’s peculiar circumstances. That was strange, right? It wasn’t her but this region that was off-kilter, right? Were space elves really something that could so casually be accepted?

“Galar’s seen stranger things,” Elsie answered, practically reading Esther’s mind, and driving her to further incredulity.

“Like what?”

“A space dragon tried to destroy the region eight years back.”

“WHAT!?”

“Don’t worry about it.”

Obviously these Galar people were built of different stuff, they either had balls of steel or had a few screws loose. While Esther waffled over how the situation had resolved itself, Elsie guided Rapidash to turn back to the ranch.

“Hey, stop gagging like a bambot, it’s time for dinner,” she threw an inviting wave to she space-elf as well. “Yer welcome to join us, though we’ll need a name for ye—something other than space-man.”

"Oh, um, the name's James Sylvester, apprentice pilot."

He picked himself up from the ground and started running, using his pokemon's Trick Room to speed himself up while decreasing air resistance.

"So, like, does every creature here have a special power, or is it just that you have the exception."

He jumped over a Wooloo that was a little slow in getting away.

"Trick Room is going to fade any second from now, James." Z spoke up.

"Don't recast it, I think we're almost there."

@kyuukestu

June 14, Grand Lake Hotel, Sinnoh

Ezio looked up at Kaden, who seemed to have questions regarding Erebus. Smiling at the young man, he gestured at the other seat at the table. "Of course you may, have a seat. What did you want to ask me about? I'm always happy to share information, and I am sure Erebus is too."

Erebus did have a smile on her face, but she was also drooling, so the smile probably had to do with a nice meal in her dreams.
Kaden Miller - June 14th, Grand Lake Hotel, Sinnoh

Kaden smiled when the man gave him the permission to quiz him a bit about his pokemon, or well, more so about what he might know about the species and sat down on the chair.

"Are you aware of any regional variants that may exist for Typhlosion? You see.. Well, I saw a peculiar looking one today. I know for sure it was a Typhlosion since I saw it evolve from a Quilava, but I haven't seen anything like it before. I think," The coordinator said and began to think. The things they encountered in that cave. The odd illusions and projections were from all over from both past and future. They did see a trainer who had the same looking volcano pokemon variant seemed to sport clothes more suited for the past.. Could it be that Ron's Quilava evolved into a Hisuian variant somehow? Ah, but how could he explain this to this stranger he sat with. He would probably think that he had a few screws loose or something if he did. Perhaps it would be better to abstain from potential talk over the 4th lake for now.

~Aldon Charlton...~

As Aldon debated on his next course of action, Skol had wandered off and seen something flying around. A volcarona. Skol paused and looked dumbfounded up at the fiery insect.

"Slo...?"

Aldon was now putting the thunder stone he got as a prize for winning the bug catching contest when he realized his faithful hippo sidekick wasn't by his side. Aldon looked around and spotted it walking towards a volcarona and a palpitoad.

"Skol, we talked about wandering off like tha-" Aldon stopped as he saw the bug too, but shifted his gaze back on his slowpoke. Skol was now looking at the bugs crawling up trees. Skol let out a long 5 second yawn, before tilting his head back and looking at Aldon. Aldon looked to see if any trainers were nearby,

"I'm sorry about that. Hope this pseudo legend didn't cause too many problems" Aldon said jokingly as he patted his slowpoke on the back.

Skol whom was now resting his tail in a water puddle.

"Of course you would think now is an okay time to start fishing... My name is Aldon by the way. This is Skol" Aldon said sarcastically looking at Skol.

Ezio Farello, June 14th, Grand Lake Hotel, Sinnoh

Ezio looked at Kaden with confusion in his eyes. A regional variant of Typhlosion? How peculiar. "I can't say I have. You had my attention at first, but now you have my interest. Do you mind if I take notes of this conversation? Maybe I can find something when I contact my colleagues. Oh, sorry, where are my manners? Ezio Farello, archeologist from Unova, pleasure to meet you." The man said, extending his hand for Kaden to shake.

Esther

“James then,” Elsie nodded and fell silent. Esther figured she was thinking of how she’d explain this to the rest of her folks and so she took the chance to fill in.

“You mean Pokémon?” That was a strange question. “Generally, only Pokémon have special abilities...Don’t you have one yourself? Do they work differently where you’re from?”

While they were speaking the trio arrived at the ranch and Elsie ran off, telling them to wash up before coming for dinner.

“The bathrooms are through there,” Esther supplied. She had spent most of the day in the field and needed a quick bath and a change of clothes.

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure
Date: June 11, year unknown. Region: Galar. Area: Dappled Grove.

With a birdlike screech from above and the flap of wings, a Staraptor was seen in the distance, slowly getting closer. Even from a distance, the bird could be seen to be unlike any other of his species. Not only was he mounted by a figure in black, but the bird of prey seemed to wear highly advanced armour. Eventually it grew closer and circled overhead, making the details clearer. As the bird landed near the group in the area, it was clear they weren't from around here. The trainer mounting the bird hopped off with elegance, bowing and thanking the armoured Staraptor before returning him to his ball. Noticing the group in the ranch before him, he gave a quick prayer to Arceus and slowly approached them. His Ninetales decided to join him, coming out of her ball and walking alongside him.

"Ahh, finally, actual people. I was worried I wouldn't encounter anyone. Though, considering Stalogel has a tendency to frighten people..." He spoke, his voice having a clear German accent. A strange voice filled the minds of those around them, as if with telepathy. "Oh, Adolphian. Don't you know the real monsters are humanity?" The voice seemed rather feminine and pleasant, having a more Swedish accent. It was also accompanied with a loud giggle. Adolphian sighed and put a hand on his temple. "Vurrbin, please. I'm trying to be civil, you're not exactly helping. I understand we're running low on rations, and the shops here don't accept Solro, but... You know I'll figure something out." He spoke to the Kitsune, making it clear she had some sort form of telepathy. He shook his head and looked back to the three, sighing again.

"I don't suppose you'd have anywhere for me to stay the night, do you? If you accept payment in evolution stones, I need somewhere to stay to regroup, as... It's been a hard week since I got here."

Last edited:

Esther

“Is this normal in Galar?” Esther raised a skeptical brow towards Elsie, thoroughly nonplussed by the armored man’s appearance; but hey, if space-elf over here wasn’t the strangest thing in these parts, then why even exhaust herself?

The man hoped off what could only be described as an unholy Staraptor-Corviknight lovechild and walked over. This was only the second man to have dropped out of the sky in the span of an hour and start spitting nonsense, and he wasn't even as strange as the pointy-eared one. The man's get-up reminded her of Hunter J's, visor, metal parts, and all. People in other regions sure loved to wear their tech!

The young Lady merely shook her head in response and eyed Adolphain.

“Whatever,” Esther rolled her eyes and stalked off. The bath awaited and she had things to do after dinner, she didn’t have time for every space alien or terminator that decided to drop in and say ‘Hi!’.

As the Oblivian took her leave, Elsie remained to consider the man’s offer. He offered to pay for a night’s sleep in evolution stones: rare minerals that contained an abundance of energy and which could trigger evolution in pokémon. Their rarity and usage meant they were often expensive, and this man was trading them for...a place to stay the night? He either didn’t know the value of money or was a scam artist trying to gain access to the ranch house using the lure of evolution stones. The latter seemed more likely, and Elsie wasn’t buying his shit.

“Your bum’s out the windae, ye bampot! Ye should stop tryna scam good people with your fake stones and get an honest job; a can even start ye off, a few weeks of hard farm work will turn a crook like ye right around! And don’t ye know it’s impolite to use telepathy on people without their consent? What have manners gone to these days.”

Telepathy wasn’t the strangest part of the man’s ensemble, it was actually fairly common in the area since the Dappled Grove was home to Munna who occasionally possessed the ability. Telepathy on a Ninetales was, however, quite unusual. Then again, the fox pokémon was known to have all sorts of strange abilities, ranging from illusions to curses to even assuming human form... You could never be sure enough around one of these tricksters.

A pulse of psychic power washed over Elsie's person as Rapidash intervened, using its own psychic prowess to block off any further Telepathy from Ninetales.

Rick
Tuesday, June 14th - Castelia City, Unova

A mid-sized boat approaches the harbor of Castelia City. On board is Rick along with his pokémon, and Chris at the commands of the ship, who volunteered to take Rick to Unova for his latest assignment. Rick stands at the bow with Iris by his side, staring at Unova's biggest city, before eventualy walking into the ship's cockpit. "So! Mind doing a recap?" Rick asked.

"Well, there isn't much to tell, really. Thousands of years ago, a meteorite fell through the atmosphere, and its many fragments scattered across the globe. Pinpointing them is... kinda hard to say the least, but we do know from old records that one is located somewhere in the Relic Castle. It was used by ancient people who lived there as a replacement to the Sun." Chris explained.

Rick scratched his chin as he heard the explanation "And after all these years it still works? 'Cause I hope I'm not venturing in there just to find a glorified piece of rock at the end." He said, while putting on his gloves and a few supplies in his belt pocket.

"There are energy signals coming from the ruins. Besides, even if it was just a rock, it would still be worth studying. We just need someone to get in, find it, and bring it to the surface. Of course, said like this it almost sounds too easy. But you know how tricky this kind of places can be. There's a reason why the Meteonite is still there. No one ever got it, and very few have the guts to try getting it." Chris stated.

Rick shrugged. "Well. It was about time you'd give me something spicy anyways." He said before walking out of the cabin. He recalled his Leafeon, Zephir, into his ball, who had spent pretty much the whole trip sleeping on top of the cabin, and his Dragonair, Pearl, who flew out of the water. He hopped onto Iris's back, and the mare jumped into land before the boat finished reaching the harbor's pier. "All the way North, up until Route 4, correct?" Rick asked, projecting his voice.

"Route 4, turn left, you'll find the Desert Resort. Although I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to call it a Resort, but you'll draw your conclusions." Chris said, peeking out of the cabin. "Oh! And because I thought it would be interesting to be close to the action..." The man grabed a small headset with a mic and field camera, and threw it at Rick. "Put that on! It only has charge for three hours though, so don't go around wasting it before even finding the place." He added.

Rick stared at the small gadget, putting it on his belt pocket before speaking. "Quality of life features? Yes, I'll take them. Anyways! See you in... whatever long it's gonna take, honestly. Don't wait me for lunch." He said, before heading towards Castelia's Central Area. Chris waved at the trainer and his pokémon, before sitting down at a table with his laptop on and muttered. "Good luck."

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure

He shook his head as he was met with immediate hostility, as if he was used to such a greeting. He sighed again as his Ninetales seemed a bit distressed that her ability to communicate to others was cut off, but seemed put at ease again as he gave her a careful pat on the head. He pressed a button on his bag without verbally replying, which opened up to reveal multiple compartments. He reached into one of them and pulled out what seemed to be a fire stone and a dawn stone, the rare gems glittering in his hand. He gave a sad smile and sighed again, his Ninetales trying to cheer him up by nuzzling into his side.

"I may come from another world due to an incident with one of those wormholes, but I'm an honest man. Where I come from, honesty and respect are core values, and I feel rather upset that you've outright called me a scam artist. I make sure to keep a few evolution stones with me, as where I come from... I was rather successful. Until that wormhole outright brought me to a place where my former knowledge of the world is non-existant. I don't suppose Stahlblatt exists in this world, does it?"

He spoke softly, his lack of emotion wavering as a bit of emotion started to surface, seeming to be a bit of pain momentarily flicker on his face, before going back to his emotionless visage. He put his evolution stones back in his bag and closed it, giving Vurrbin a silent nod as she carefully walked over to Elsie and looked her up and down, the lights on the cybernetic crest on her head lighting up faintly. While the rancher was inspected by the mystical fox, he started adjusting his visor. After that was done, he held up the device below his wrist to look at it, speaking softly into it. "Computer, engage environmental scan and prime defensive pattern Alpha. If this turns any more hostile, I'd rather escape with my life than endanger anyone else." He sighed again. His device chirped in a robotic tone, giving a simple 'affirmative, orders being carried out'.

As he turned back to her, he took his visor off to reveal his oddly purple eyes, which seemed more dull than usual. "I apologize if we've had a misunderstanding, clearly this place is rather different from where I come from. I do hope we can avoid any further conflict. I don't want to see anyone suffer from my existance, as... Well, I'd rather not talk about my past towards someone I just met." He spoke, holding out a hand in an act of apology, to show he was sincere. It was followed by him muttering to himself. "Fortunately, Verdant is currently taking a break. She has an issue with revealing too much information that I'd rather keep to myself..."

Elsie

“Stah...blat? Never heard of it.” Elsie calmed somewhat at the man’s gesture of sincerity. The stones seemed legit, but what did she know? She was no purveyor of gemstones.

“Well, if ye are who ye say ye are, then a' do owe ye an apology, but if ye don’t want to be taken for a scammer ye should...appear more normal,” She waved towards his armor-like clothing and then towards her own, more normal clothing. She hoped the message was clear. "and stop waving around such expensive items."

"A' have no use for evolutionary stones, so unless ye want to stick around and give us a hand around the farm, we can put you up for the night and have ye be on your way on the 'morrow."

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure
He nodded as she spoke, the Ninetales starting to attempt to nuzzle Elsie as best she could, as her own apology for using telepathy. Of course, she wasn't exactly able to read thoughts without permission from others, but she understood people wouldn't know that. However, as the other trainer commented on his clothing, he seemed genuinely shocked. "I- I- Hold on, my outfit isn't that strange, is it? Where I come from, it's a kind of style that's rather commonplace. And that brings up the matter of it. I wouldn't exactly be able to change my outfit, since... Well, that's where the issue with money comes in. I can sell what evolution stones I have, but it will only get me so far..."

He spoke, sighing as he tried to think of his next course of action. "I suppose I have no other choice, I believe it would be a good idea to settle down for a while and assist where I can. I'm practically an extraterrestrial here, so I'd need to gather information and the like before I can feel confident setting out. While I could possibly change to whatever is considered normal for a researcher, I can't exactly remove my cybernetics. I may be a cyberneticist and am experienced in surgery, but... It takes a lot of work to remove cybernetics, and then it'll take a lot of work for my mind to recover after the loss of such things... It's generally not worth it." As if to emphasise his point, Vuurbin gave a gentle cry, finishing her apology and going back to her position next to her trainer.

"What's next, then? I've not really done farm work before, but if there's one thing my people are known for, it's adaptability. We're much like Eevee, in that regard." His eyes lit up as he mentioned Eevee, before covering his eyes back with his visor.

Elsie

After responding to Ninetales with a quick, but affirming rub, Elsie gestured to the ranch house. “First things first, dinner.”

Elsie led the extra-terrestrial duo to the dining hall. In the middle was a long table with several seats, and the Staffords usually held dinner together with their live-in workers. Dinner hadn't been finished yet which allowed the family to accommodate the abrupt addition of several guests by cooking extra.

Esther

When Esther returned from her bath, dinner had just been served. The long table was packed with dishes: steamed vegetables, mashed potatoes, Moomoo cheese, a fresh loaf of bread, and several other dishes, likely o Galarian make, that she didn't recognize. The Oblivian wasn't shy and so she immediately sat down and helped herself to the food. As they ate, the Staffords took the chance to make small chit-chat of the trivial and non-trivial variety. Most importantly, they explained the jobs of the would-be farmhands.

Mr. Stafford, Elsie's dad explained the duties that would be expected of them. "We might look like a normal ranch, but we're anything but. You three aren't from these parts so I'll explain, our lands are inside what's known as the Wild Area; it's a largely natural zone densely populated by pokémon, and while this creates a better environment for the plants and the ranch's inhabitants, it comes with its own share of troubles.

"Some of the Wild Area's pokémon are wild and rowdy, and they see the ranch as easy pickings. Trainers like you are necessary to repel them and ensure the safety of the ranch. This list isn't exhaustive, but here are some of the main pokémon you'll need to keep an eye out for:

"Manectric, are aggressive predators who can be extremely dangerous alone or, worse, in packs. Their packs are fast and coordinated, and they can be surprisingly wily. Watch out for their powerful electric attacks, since they prefer to paralyze their opposition before targeting softer prey.

"Swinub and its evolution Piloswine aren't predators, but they're rampant foragers. Those swine will destroy fencing, and then gorge themselves on the berries we grow. Their tusks allow them to dig through the ground to unearth the roots, which are high in nutrients but will kill the berry tries in the process. They must be driven away before they can cause any damage. It's rare, but sometimes one of them manages to evolve all the way into Mamoswine, those brutes are usually relocated by the authorities, but they cause a lot of damage before that can happen. Pray you don't have to deal with one.

"Oddish, Gloom, and Vileplume are particularly nasty critters. They don't cause any damage to the ranch itself, but their toxic spores can spread over the vegetation and on the wind, making the ranch pokémon ill. You'll need to frequently patrol the ranch's borders to ensure none of those poison types have taken root near the ranch.

"Like the Piloswine, Diggersby often encroach on ranch territory looking for food. They have a bad habit of leaving holes in the ground, and that's very dangerous. Unsuspecting people and pokémon could stumble into them, and if you're unlucky..." the man made a sharp cracking sound. "there go your legs."

"The next two pokémon cause the same type of trouble, Crustle and Pangoro are aggressive and highly territorial pokémon who sometimes come spoiling for a fight. Need I say more?

Mr. Stafford stopped to allow his words to sink in, "any questions?"

Esther mulled over all the information that had been disseminated then politely raised her hand.

"Yes?"

"Do you have any recommendations on how to deal with these pokémon? We wouldn't want to fight them on ranch turf and cause additional damages." Esther knew that fighting near the Wooloo and other ranch pokémon wasn't the best of options. They could easily be hit by stray attacks and even barring that, the fights themselves might destroy ranch property. Her own little Pyrrha, though not as powerful yet, was fully capable of doing quite a number on the environment when she battled.

"Unfortunately, we're prepared to take some losses. This is just what comes with being in the Wild Area, we more than makeup for it with the size and quality of our harvests, so we're only looking for you to minimize our losses. On that end, I would recommend using status moves to subdue the wandering pokémon. If you don't have any pokémon of that kind then you can catch one. There are Munna, Ralts, Snover, Butterfree, and Roselia, among others, who have moves that can put pokémon to sleep. You could also try and catch something like an Electrike for its paralyzing capabilities, it's up to you.

"The Pokémon out here will attack in groups, so it's best that you have at least two to three pokémon to cover your backs. Of the three of you, only Esther has had prior farm experience so look to her or Elsie for guidance when it comes to your more standard duties like milking the Miltank or steering the Wooloo."

"Any other questions?"

Esther kept silent this time, allowing her strange co-workers the opportunity to voice their own queries. She had a lot to think about. She only had a single pokémon with her and she'd need at least a second one to accomplish her job. Since she was also low on pokéballs it was probably best to take a trip back to Motostoke and then head out for a capture later tonight.

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure
As Adolphian joined the group at the table, he remained silent, listening intently to the man known as Mr. Stafford. He nodded while his Ninetales sat by his feet and his Luxray by his side. As for his Staraptor and Leafeon, they chose to spend the time getting to know the area, knowing Adolphian to bring them food afterwards. He was about to speak when Vuurbin decided that she wanted to be like a lapdog and tried to pounce on his lap. However, due to her size, she ended up knocking him backwards along with his chair and sat on the chest of her dazed trainer. He blushed red as a cheri berry and as his visor was knocked off of his head, his normally purple eyes became a more bluish colour. After cursing at his Kitsune in German, calling her a 'fickin fotze', he got up and brushed himself off, trying to act as if nothing happened as he sat himself back. Fortunately, the table wasn't hit by Vuurbin and the only damage was to Adolphian's pride.

"And ignoring the fox and her tendency to embarrass us in front of people, I believe I would be well suited to scouting the area and dealing with any pokemon labled as a threat to the ranch. Vuurbin here, despite other members of her kind being mainly specialized in fire, is more in tune with the mystical side of things. She's skilled with not only hypnosis, but also using psychological warefare to frighten and scare away most things. And if that doesn't work, Blitz here can inflict paralysis to more easily deal with anything we come across." He spoke, the strange telepathic voice of the Ninetales simply being a quiet chuckle, as if she found the whole ordeal she caused for her trainer amusing.

After speaking, he slowly got himself a small serving, making sure to leave a reminder for himself to get food for his Pokemon that were out having their fun. While he seemed that he didn't eat much since coming here, and was in rough shape, he only had a modest amount, clearly not enough for most people his age. While one could assume his small portion size to being a picky eater, or even embarrassment from the actions of Vuurbin... His eyes seemed to show that he was going through some memories and as such, his eyes were clouded with sorrow. Of course, he tried to hide what was going on inside his head by focusing on enjoying the food, but his memories kept drifting to his own family, and the things that he endured that brought him here.

Eventually though, he finished the portion he got for himself and looked to Esther. While he wasn't an experienced battler himself, he had a keen eye for how strong and experienced trainers were, on part thanks to an old friend by the name of Evilane. "I apologize if this seems rude of me, but... It seems that you're rather inexperienced as a trainer. I may not be too skilled myself, but... If you need assistance, I can provide it. Evilane back home essentially taught me most of what I know about taking care of a team of Pokemon, and I'd be more than happy to assist you. Perhaps it'll be an opportunity for us both to learn." He spoke quietly, his demanior having changed from a mostly emotionless visage to a kind, intelligent man who had seen a lot of shit, to put it bluntly. Even back home, it was rare for him to gain trust of people so quickly, perhaps it was something about the atmosphere the ranch gave off. Either way, his thoughts were interrupted by his Leafeon bursting through the door in rough shape, a mixture of excited and energized. "Adolphian, you will never believe what we just pulled off! We got attacked by what Stalogel claimed to be a 'normal type beartic', and we sent its sorry ass packing! It was strong, but we showed it we're not to be messed with!" She exclaimed, her speaking normally like a person would likely be a shock to the others. Adolphian went silent for a while, before closing his eyes and sighing. "Verdant, you really need to learn to calm down one of these days... I understand you're excited, but... You're going to get yourself killed some day if you keep this up."

Last edited:
Kaden Miller - June 14th, Grand Lake Hotel, Sinnoh

"I wouldn't mind at all, take all the notes you need," Kaden replied and then shook Ezio's hand," Pleasure to meet you Mr. Farello. I'm Kaden Miller, Local coordinator," and introduced himself before leaning back in his chair. So this was an archeologist. Could he be here in Sinnoh to study some old ruins or alike, but he said that he hadn't encountered any Typhlosion variant before.

"Excuse my curiosity, but are you here to study one of the many ruins that we have here in Sinnoh or maybe legends relating to old Hisui?" Kaden the inquired further. If Ezio was an avid researched in this subject and wasn't aware of any regional variants, then looking into ancient Sinnoh pokemon would be in vain.

Ezio Farello - June 14th, Grand Lake Hotel, Sinnoh

"The feeling is mutual and please, call me Ezio. Mr. Farello makes me sound so old." Ezio chuckled as he took a notepad and pencil out of his bag. Writing down a few keywords, he looked up to meet Kaden's eyes. "I was en route to Snowpoint City and investigate the Snowpoint Temple, but I can't say I am familiar with legends of old Hisui. I know that Hisui was the old name of the Sinnoh region before the name got changed, but I have yet to fully dive into them. Sources are rare from what I've heard, and local archeologists might have a better idea about what Hisui was like. I'd have to try and contact Cynthia or someone."

"May I ask why you brought up Hisui? Most people don't know about it unless they show an interest in history, so you clearly have at least a little knowledge." Ezio asked, clearly interested as Erebus let out a deep sigh in her sleep, sparks flying in the air before quickly dying out.

Kaden Miller - June 14th - Grand Lake Hotel, Sinnoh

Kaden looked over at Ezio's Typhlosion as he listened to him talk, "They're quite interesting, but I'm only aware of them because I've been subjected to them quite often. I only know some of the rough strokes of the Hisui era, like the two clans and whatnot, but what why it's relevant to me are the ancient variants of certain pokemon from that time. Or, well some still exist today to but they're very rare," he explained the rough reason why he had a very surface level knowledge of Sinnoh's ancient history. He couldn't begin to count all the time's he's been stopped for a reason or another because of Etna and then have his ear be chewed out by tales of Sinnoh's history.

"I'll show what I mean," Kaden added and took out a pokeball and removed the capsule with a few smoke stickers on it combined with a flame one. Wouldn't be the brightest idea to combine smoke and closed spaces, especially with them being in a Hotel, "Etna, come out," and from the ball's white energy emerged Kaden's signature pokemon. His Hisuian Arcanine. She had the initial intimidating appearance as she straightened her posture before sticking out her tongue and waving her tail happily and looked at the two trainers in their seats.

Ezio Farello - June 14th - Grand Lake Hotel

Ezio's looked at Etna with confusion and wonder. It was an Arcanine, but unlike any he had seen before. It was more rock-like in appearance than the Arcanines he had met, and way less fluffy. "I-How-What-" He stumbled over his words before looking at Kaden. "How did you get a Pokémon like her? What type is she? Do you know if there are others? Please tell me everything, she is gorgeous!" The man said, quickly making a rough sketch of Etna as Erebus finally woke up.

Standing up to look at the taller Fire type, Erebus flared up her flames to try and gauge what this stranger was going to do. She was taller, yet seemed to be duller as well.

Kaden seemed unphased by the barrage of question targeted at him and his pokemon. He'd honestly gotten used to it at this point. He turned to look at Etna, "Etna relax," the coordinator said and the calm sway of the Hisuian Arcanine quickly more ecstatic and began to curiously sniff at the other fire type in front of her. Kaden trusted his pokemon enough to play nicely, as well as the fact that Etna was a big softie despite her more "edged" appearance.

"My parents gifted her to me to be my starter pokemon. I'd assume Etna is the result of atavism or something, but I'm not too sure. I don't know many others who have Hisuian pokemon, but efforts have been made to try and restore the ancient species. Kind of like with fossil pokemon, if I had to make some sort of comparison. Oh, and Etna's typing is fire and rock," the coordinator replied and mentally tried to keep track that he'd answered all of Ezio's questions.

Saturday, June 11 – Gilded Field, Dappled Grove, Galar Region

"Actually, I do have a question, but this one's for Adolphian."

He turned to look at the man.

"I don't know about you but where I'm from, mental warfare is illegal as it leaves scars, now, I'm not saying you're a monster, but I've seen enough PTSD to last me until Centurion Alpha explodes."

He turned to his hosts.

"Also, if you make as much as you say you do, wouldn't it be easier to build a forcefield instead of hiring guards?"

Esther

“It’s more cost-effective to hire guards,” Mr. Stafford responded. “We have a very large ranch, tens of acres, a forcefield of that size would be costly to erect and even more so to maintain. Furthermore, we’d still have to hire additional hands to help us during the summer season when the Wooloo need to be sheered and early harvest is coming in. It’s easier to higher helpers, two pidgeys with one rock throw.”

While the explanation droned on, Esther nodded towards Adolphain’s offer to help. She had her fair share of problems with her team, so an experienced eye could prove beneficial. Even now her pokémon weren’t the most comfortable around her and refused to exit their pokéballs. She’d need to find a solution by tonight.

Ezio Farello - June 14, Grand Lake Hotel, Sinnoh

Ezio quickly wrote down more keywords before looking back at Etna. "She is gorgeous, a Fire/Rock type huh? I'm quite a fan of Rock and Fire types myself, so hopefully we can get along. I have yet to hear of Hisuian fossils, which is odd since I have found Skull and Armor fossils before. Still, atavism is a very interesting hypothesis. If that is the reason behind Etna's appearance, maybe it also explains the different Typhlosion you saw. Could you describe what you saw? That way I have a visual." The Ruin Maniac asked, an excited smile on his face.

Erebus sniffed at Etna, making sure she wasn't hostile before letting her flames die out and being more friendly. Angling her head, she looked at Kaden with curiosity and let out a small cry.

Ezio chuckled. "I doubt that he'll have a snack for you, girl. Better luck next time." He said to his Typhlosion, who did not seem happy.

"I try to keep my pokemon in pristine condition," Kaden smiled and looked at Etna before returning his gaze to Ezio, "Ah, that would be smart," the coordinator then said and looked at Erebus, as if to compare the odd Typhlosion in his mind to her.

"It's posture seemed more relaxed, almost slouching. It's back fur pattern extended in front of it, almost like a thick necklace. The fur was quite similar colored, if not a bit paler. The main difference were the flames. They lit up in a mysterious pink-ish color and were.. how do I describe it. Wispier?" Kaden explained, trying to get the most notable features explained to the ruin maniac.

Etna panted happily back at Erebus before she went to investigate the volcano pokemon's trainer. She sniffed at him on his sleeve and then looked at the man, as if to see what he would do next.

"I think I cave something I could give her. If that's alright with you of course," Kaden said and began to dig in his bag for a peculiar looking treat. After a bit he took out a bag that seemed to hold oval shaped baked goods that were pink in color. Etna's interest seemed to have been piqued as well, but right now she was more interested in Ezio than treats. For now at least.

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure
Adolphian sighed and turned to the elfen extra-terrestrial, giving a sad smile. "Well, yes, while it can cause scars, Vuurbin here is well aware. She limits herself to surface level psycology, where it's just enough to scare away any threats while also minimizing permanent damage. It's also used to weaken opponents that are too stubborn to run away, but... We try not to go full power on such abilities. Not after last time..."

He spoke, his Ninetales giving a cry of affirmation. As she nodded to him, he gave his Vuurbin a signal and she gave a sly smile, though she wasn't entirely visible due to going back to her spot by his feet, though occasionally one of her tails could have been seen. "If you require assistance, meet us outside the ranch tonight. I don't like using this ability for personal communication, but this is the easiest way. We will help train you." The feminine voice of Vuurbin would fill the head of Esther, being extremely pleasant. She seemed to hold wisdom in her voice alone, which made sense for her species. "Oh, and don't worry about mind reading. My telepathy only allows me to communicate with others, not read their thoughts. I'd need verbal permission to read your thoughts."

With that done, Adolphian started to stand up from the table as his three Pokemon joined his side, all but Vuurbin returning to their balls. As for his armoured Staraptor, he was likely patrolling the area from overhead, keeping an eagle watch in case anything happened. He bowed at his hosts. "If you do not need anything more from me, I will go and wash up and do a bit of training before bed. My Pokemon need to be in a good mindset for tommorow if we're going to help with patrols." He commented, waiting for a reply from those kind enough to give him somewhere to stay. "Oh, Adolphian, you're worrying us. You're not eating much, and according to my scans... You're only eating half the amount someone of your body size and activity level should have." Verdant remarked, clearly showing concern. "How did y- Never mind. Don't worry about it, Verdant. I've survived on less, of course. We still have some rations left if I need them." He gave a fake smile, trying to reassure his Leafeon. However, while it seemed as if he was trying to hide something, his Leafeon posed no further questions.

Last edited:
Ezio Farello - June 14th- Grand Lake Hotel - Sinnoh

"It shows, her fur is in amazing condition." Ezio said before writing down the description that Kaden gave him. "It sure sounds different than Erebus, if I had to hazard a guess, it probably is part Ghost." As the man spoke, he noticed Etna sniff his sleeve. "Hello girl, are you curious?" He asked as he stroked Etna under her chin. "Who's a good girl? Is it you?"

Erebus sniffed curiously as Ezio spoke up again. "Oh yeah, go ahead, just be careful she doesn't eat all of them. Oh, you are a big girl, no?" He said as he began petting Etna's flanks.

Erebus grabbed the poffin with both hands before letting out a small cry of gratitude and swallowing it whole, clearly enjoying it as she nuzzled her head against Kaden, causing Ezio to laugh. "She likes your treats."

Last edited:

"Ghost could make sense.." Kaden said and the hypothesis away for later to try and look up any mentions of Ghost type Typhlosions.

Etna leaned forward as Ezio scratched her from under her chin, her tail wagging becoming faster as she enjoyed the pets. When Ezio moved to pet her flank, the fire type clearly enjoyed it as she began to lean her body

"I won't let her eat all of them, don't worry," the coordinator reassured Ezio and handed Erebus one of the sweet poffins. He chuckled as the volcano pokemon nuzzled him in gratitude, "Awh, you're welcome. You have a bit of a sweet tooth don't you?"

"Poffins are a trainer staple treat for pokemon here in Sinnoh, especially for coordinators. You should be able to find them in Pokemarts, but self made ones are the best," Kaden explained to Ezio as he put the rest of the pink treats away into his bag.

Esther

The conversation about psychological warfare went over Esther’s head; did they mean psionic powers? She hadn’t met anyone who was a psychic...did Al’s Ninetales count? The strange not-echoes of the fox's not-voice rang in her not-ears, Hmm... Telepathy... Was this a part of the psychological warfare they spoke of? From what she could parse...

“You mean you’d rather risk permanently damaging someone than finding an alternative?” Her eyes focused on the cybernetic man and then shifted to the Vulpine. She wasn’t sure how she felt about the duo given what they were implying. If psychic probing was really so dangerous then...

Last edited:

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure
He sighed as he got up from the table properly and tucked in his chair in politeness. Before walking off, he gave another sad smile and shook his head. Of course, he understood the dangers of such kinds of psycological warfare, and events in the past cemented. However, if used properly, they could be powerful and prove very effective. Much training had to happen before Vuurbin felt confident in using such abilities without risking permanent harm to the opponent.

"Oh, don't worry. We fully understand the risks of such, and as she could affirm, she's done a lot of training to ensure that she won't unintentionally cause permanent harm. Her psychic abilities are powerful, and are generally her best way of fending off hostiles. But with such power comes the knowledge that it must be used responsibly, so to speak. She greatly limits herself to prevent what happened when I first met her..." He trailed off, a look of longing and regret momentarily flickering across his face. "However, that's not something we worry about now. She's learned full control over her abilities, and generally only causes harm when she is fully intending on such. Fortunately though, we've honed her abilities to the point where she uses exactly the force needed to drive off hostiles, and nothing on the levels that COULD cause harm. Trust me, I was worried as well, and... There was a time where she was too scared to use any psychic abilities at all. But with that, I must go. Preperations for tommorow must be made, and... I need a quick rest. Bis zum nächsten mal, auf Wiedersehen."

As he finished speaking, he walked off towards where he would be sleeping for an undetermined amount of time, his three Pokemon following at his sides.
(Translated, what he said in German is along the lines of 'Until next time, goodbye.')

Rick
Tuesday, June 14th - Castelia City, Unova

Rick walked down the streets of the sprawling metropolis astride his Rapidash, and quickly got reminded of the bustling environment of Castelia. Crowded areas like these weren't much of his liking, but in this case there wasn't much he could do to avoid it. Iris could jump the skyscrapers, but that would probably call more unwanted attentions, if not legal problems if the people weren't happy about it. Luckily it almost felt like Rick and Iris were inside a bubble since everyone would rather make way for them, but he couldn't help but feel like he was being the center of attentions.

"Have they never seen a Rapidash before? I know you're gorgeous, but still..." Rick muttered, with arms crossed. Iris wasn't very amused either, with head raised high up and a frowned expression. She eventualy raised the pace, until they reached Central Plaza. A much less crowded area than the streets, they stoped by the large central fountain before heading to their destination. Iris took the opportunity to drink from it. Rick dismounted and sit right next to her.

"Well, since you're not finding any grass on the desert, you may as well just fill up that stomach with water, 'cause you won't use that space for anything else for the next couple hours." He told her, while looking away. He also took the opportunity to put the headset into his ear and test it out. And while distracted, Iris decided it would be an interesting idea to grab her trainer by the shirt's collar and pulling him into the fountain, before she started sipping again. Rick quickly raised up. "What was that for?" He asked, before the mare squirted water from her mouth into his face. "Oh, you're so on!" Rick exclaimed before tackling her. Iris took a few steps back, before pinning the trainer down with a hoof.

Then a voice from Chris was heard from the headset. "Hey! Why are you guys wasting energy already when you know you're going to a supposedly dangerous place?" He chastened. Iris took her hoof off Rick's chest and steped back. "She started it! I don't even like water that much." Rick mentioned, while getting back up and whisking his shirt. Chris sighed at the mic before speaking. "Anyways. Let me know once you arrive at the castle."

"Yep. We're on it!" Rick responded, before turning off the headset again. "Alright lady. No more playing until we get our hands on that rock." Rick stated. The mare licked his face in response. "Good we're on the same page!" He said, patting her neck and hopping onto her back, before the two made way towards Route 4.

Esther
Saturday Night, June 11 – Gilded Field, Dappled Grove, Galar Region​

The night was young and the ground still warm from a full day's sun. Esther waited patiently at the ranch’s front gates, a pair of leather reins in hand that was connected to a saddle equipped to Rapidash. The unique horse pokémon had been lent to her for swift travels, and she was grateful, if not somewhat anxious, to ride it as it galloped towards Motostoke. Her first time riding a horse had been earlier in the evening, but she had been assured that the transition from passenger to driver was minimal; this was due to the unique nature of Galarian Rapidash, its psychic prowess allowed it to read the intentions of its rider and adjust to accommodate them. However, before all that, she had a meeting with Al. He had offered her assistance and she at least wanted to hear out his offer before coming to a decision.

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure
Date: June 11, Evening. Region: Galar. Area: Dappled Grove.

And as if on cue, the scientist stepped out from the shadows, his visor almost glowing and taking the form of a pair of protective glasses. Instead of his normal attire, he wore something a bit more comfortable, being more of something fitting for a scientist, a less advanced labcoat over a basic pair of pants. His outfit was still black but looked more modern rather than something out of a science fiction movie, as all the technical stuff was on the inside, being a thin layer of electrical stimulators and such. The rings on his clothing glowed slightly and were highly reflective, allowing him to be seen in the dark. His outfit was actually somewhat themed around Umbreon, perhaps used for stealth. He gave a nod and waved at Esther. His pokeballs were also in view, as it seemed he tried to make an effort to look a bit more normal.

"Ahh, there you are. Verdant was worried you wouldn't show up, but you know how she is." He spoke simply, his German accent having less of a emotionless, monotone drag and more of a pleasant, intelligent tone. It seemed as if he felt comfortable for once, the dark helping reduce his internal conflict. "So, I assume you're wondering why I've called you out here. Without wasting any time, it's to train. I may not be the best trainer, but I at least know enough to help. Is there anything particular you struggle with? We can start there." He continued, taking out a clearly modified ball with red lightning bolts on a black base and a dark yellow lid. He gently tossed it in front of him and with a flash of electricity appeared Blitzkriegler, his 'ace' pokemon. The Luxray yawned quietly and walked towards Esther and her mount, inspecting her up and down. After the inspection, she looked towards Adolphian and nodded, her cybernetic eye flashing. "Ahh, she seems to think you have potential. That's good, Blitz here has a knack for such things. The cybernetic eye we gave her when she lost the original helps with that."

Esther

Ah, he was one of those people; dressed to a professional T in a lab coat, equipment, and all...in the dead of night. It got a raised eyebrow from Esther, who herself dressed in a light blouse and comfortable pants, lightly enough to beat the heat and comfortable for any of the riding or rummaging she’d be doing throughout the night. Ultimately, Al’s attire didn’t matter, instead it was his offer that proved most intriguing.

She thought for a few moments and then decided to share her troubles, it wouldn’t hurt. “My partner...Pyrrha, I adopted her from a pokémon shelter and her file had a note of...disobedience,” she weighed her words slowly and carefully, the summary helped to organize her thoughts on the matter and review Pyrrha’s behavior. “She’s usually quite pleasant but sometimes...I don’t know, she just goes crazy. The last time it happened she injured me,” Esther pointed to a set of bandages on her arm, “and she’s been sulking in her pokéball since.”

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure

Adolphian took in the words of Esther and frowned, even his Luxray showing concern. Well, as much concern as a Pokemon could give to a stranger, at least. He approached her, but made sure not to get close enough to make her uncomfortable. He looked her in the eyes and his voice turned to a tone he hadn't used since his apprentice went missing, a tone of pure sympathy, showing he was genuinely concerned.

"O-oh dear, that's not good... It's not often I hear of a trainer getting attacked by their Pokemon... Usually when a Pokemon attacks a human, it's wild and trying to defend itself... Fortunately, this shouldn't be too hard. It may take a few days, but I believe by the end of the week, I can help you gain a proper bond with your Pokemon. Err... What species is your Pyrrha, exactly? It's a powerful sounding name, at least... Is she a dragon type?" He asked, his eyes going slightly dark as the gears in his head started turning. Metaphorically of course, the neural cybernetics he had installed to save his life didn't involve clockwork in the slightest.

Blitz stood at guard by his side, in case either trainer ended up getting in danger. "Trust issues can be a common issue with some species of Pokemon, especially dragon types. A bond hasn't been made so the Pokemon is essentially not much more than one found in the wild. If this is the case however... Well, I'm not just a doctor, you see. I've dedicated my life to helping both trainers and Pokemon, so while I may be young... I at least have some experience with this sort of thing!" He smiled, his first show of positive emotion since coming here. It seemed as if the opportunity to help someone was also helping him loosen up. Perhaps this new world wouldn't be as bad as he thought it was!

Esther

“Yes, she is a dragon type. She’s a Jangmo-o.” Esther affirmed and listened to Al’s council. His guess at Pyrrha’s type lent a bit of credibility to his statement; were dragon types naturally like this? Perhaps that was the case, but then again perhaps not. The assessment seemed...off to a degree, but Esther couldn’t pin-point where.

Nevertheless, if someone more experienced than she was willing to offer their insight, then she was willing to hear it out.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
June 21st, 10 Years Ago
Robert Dean, 10 Years Old
Pallet Town

With the way that the chase had been going, there would be no practical hope for Robert to actually catch the people he was chasing. Not only were they athletic adults while he was just a moderately healthy kid, but the thieves in question lacked any regard for people's possessions, whereas Robert made a genuine effort to attempt to avoid trampling over peoples' property. The thought of calling the police like a normal kid occurred to him multiple times, but the thieves seemed to stop in their tracks before he could actually use his phone to enact that plan. The fight had already seen a decent amount of progress, with the trainers bound by Sorrel's Tangela and the Charmander from before locked in combat with one of the grunt's Magnemite. This would leave Robert and Mith to handle the Grimer, who's foul stench forced the young man to cover his nose. Unfortunately, Mith seemed to be ill-equipped to fight the Sludge Pokémon, given that most of its attacks would do little to phase the Poison Type. Nonetheless, the two didn't come this far just to turn away.

"Mith, try to hit it with Metal Claw," After issuing the command to his Pokémon, Robert bit his lip while he waited for the results. The rounded bumps on Mith's forepaws began to glow with a silvery-white light, before emitting a trio of claw-like weapons for the Riolu to use. Once the claws manifested, the Fighting Type dashed towards the Sludge Pokémon to scratch it into submission.

"Aim Sludge at its feet," Though he was bound by an enemy Pokémon, the thief was still capable of giving orders to his. The Poison Type spat its Sludge at at the running Riolu, hoping to cause the Pokémon to trip. Unfortunately for the Grimer, his trainer failed to account for the possibility of Mith's reaction time, resulting in the Grimer getting a metallic claw raked across its face. Robert pumped his fist in relief, glad that he was able to do damage to the seemingly immovable opponent. Truthfully, the Sludge Pokémon was no worse for wear, only losing trace amounts of its grungy biomass, but it was irritated enough to retaliate without orders from its trainer, aiming a Poison Jab at Mith's chest. Upon noticing the attack, the Riolu quickly pivoted off to the side to avoid the attack, keeping its guard raised. After noticing this interaction, Rob realized that he would need to be more attentive on the battle.

"Keep at it, you're doing great!" Robert shouted encouragement towards his partner, confident that he didn't need to dictate his every move. As the two Pokémon brawled, the boy's eyes took a glance at the Bulbasaur he had seen chasing the thieves beforehand, noticing that the Grass Type had not moved since the battle had begun.

The Bulbasaur was...unsure why he was here. He saw the mysterious individuals take the papers and he knew that those papers couldn't possibly belong to them, but he knew that he couldn't do anything about it. Yet, the Charmander that he had become vaguely acquainted with called him to action, along with the Squirtle he was somewhat familiar with. Though the Seed Pokémon didn't know the Fire -Type for long, he knew that she was an aggressive creature, and that she would be all to eager to punish his refusal on her return. Now that the Grass type was faced with his opponents, he was beginning to reconsider how painful the punishment would be. However, he noticed the boy with the Riolu try to fight off the Grimer despite unfavorable odds, which re-inspired him to contribute. Knowing that his normal attacks wouldn't be very effective against the Poison type, the Grass Type fired a trio of seeds from his bulb, aiming for the ground between Mith and his opponent.

Mith was locked into an intense struggle with his opponent, having to employ swift maneuvers in order to avoid being jabbed by the Grimer. His focus on the battle at hand left him blindsided by the sudden appearance of vines that sprouted up to grasp at the Sludge Pokémon. The Grimer was just as surprised, but wasted next to no time in trying to dissolve the vines that took a hold of him. Robert glanced back at the Bulbasaur that had previously remained stationary with a confused look. After connecting the dots in his head, the red-haired boy smiled and gave a thumbs up to the Grass Type, which was returned with an awkward smile from the Seed Pokémon. Unfortunately, the Grimer was able to free himself from the vines to resume combat with Mith, who was starting to tire but was still able to avoid the Poison Jab. Robert and the Bulbasaur stared at the conflict, knowing they'd need to interfere but unsure when to do it.

"Hey, you think you could lend a hand in a bit?" Shouting out to the other trainer that he came with, Robert tried weighing the options in front of him as he watched the struggle continue.

Last edited:

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure
"Ahh, I figured as such. Jangmo-o... I've heard about them, but I can't say I'm too familiar with them. One moment while I consult my database." He spoke, pressing a button on the technical device slightly below his wrist. A holographic screen was displayed before him, and it lit up his face and and his chest as he used his other arm to interact with it. While he read up on Jangmo-o, the emblem on his chest with the logo of NanoCorp shone brightly, as if made to reflect even low light. After a few minutes, another button press on the device closed the holographic screen and he was left in the moonlight.

"As I figured... Your pokemon seems to be well known for having issues in obedience. Like post dragon types, it will refuse to listen to a trainer it doesn't respect or trust... While it may be hard gaining the respect of a pokemon alone, that's what I'm here to help with. Personally... I had my own issues with Stalogel, my Staraptor. He was a handful, but eventually, we managed to gain trust over eachother." He sighed, shaking his head. "This won't be easy, but having a dragon on your team is well worth the effort. Not many trainers are fit to command such beasts, but we believe you have the potential to do well. What would you like to do now, then?" He finished, waiting for Esther to reply. He had a few plans in mind, but he was allowing her to choose the next course of action. Whether they train or spend the night with Adolphian's lessons was up to her.

Esther

Esther nodded, it was similar to what she’d read before selecting Jangmo-o and she was well aware of the power and potential the dragon type possessed. However, something didn’t feel quite right. She couldn’t quite put a finger on it; maybe it’d come to her later. For now, she’d answer Al’s question.

“Well, I need two or three pokémon to complete my duties and right now I only have two. Rapidash here will be taking me to Motostoke, the nearby town, and I’ll buy some pokéballs and then catch a new team member or two.” She stroked Rapidash’s mane as she explained her plans, summarizing thus. “Any training we do will have to be tomorrow.”

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure

Adolphian nodded in understanding and reached into his bag, pulling out a few potions. He didn't really have use for them, since his pokemon generally needed a bit stronger stuff to heal them, but he might as well give them to Esther, as a sign of kindness. His Luxray giggled quietly and he gave the electric lion a confused look, before handing Esther 4 potions.

"Ahh, that's fair enough, I'll stand by for support when you do catch yourself some new Pokemon. After all, the last thing I'd want is for you to end up injured." He replied. "These potions are for in case you do get in trouble. I'm sure you're aware of how dangerous wild Pokemon can be, and hopefully these potions can save you a bit of money. And travelling during the day would indeed be a better option than at night. You never know when a random girl might fall out of the sky." He flashed a smile, chuckling. While he was more referring to how his former apprentice ended up as such, during an intense race where she fell off her bird and he managed to save her thanks to the psychic powers of Vuurbin, it could potentially end up as foreshadowing~

Esther

“No thanks,” Esther stepped back as she rejected the potions. “You should really save those for yourself, you’ll need them since you’re in a foreign land.” Potions were $300 a pop, and four of them were over a thousand dollars. That was almost as much as all the money Esther was carrying on her, and she was very much uncomfortable with accepting that much money from someone who was, for all his goodwill, functionally a stranger.

“Traveling during the day would be better, but we’ve got work bright and early. This is my last chance before then; besides, I heard that some pokémon are more likely to come out at night.” With that Esther turned to Rapidash and then hopped onto its back, steadying herself with the reins before a thought occurred to her.

“If you really want to help, then maybe you could help decide what pokémon I should catch. What did Mr. Stafford say earlier...? Munna, Ralts, Snover, Butterfree, and Roselia?”

The Heart of Frostfire.

Previously The failure

He seemed slightly disappointed that his act of kindness was rejected, but sighed and returned the potions to his bag. "It's fine, regardless. My pokemon tend to need a bit stronger healing, since... Well, fully evolved pokemon can take more damage in battle compared to lesser Pokemon. However, I understand." He nodded. Of course, for her, it was a lot of money, and it would have been quite expensive for Adolphian, who essentially had no money. But he had a tendency to carry a lot of supplies with him, and it held true when preparing for the journey through a wormhole. Of course, she likely had no idea.

"You make a fair point there, at least. I'm just looking out for your safety, after all. I'd rather not see someone I just met end up getting themselves hurt, especially not in my company. Hmm... Which to capture... It generally depends on what you want your team to be like. Munna is generally a support Pokemon, as is Butterfree. Snover and Ralts can evolve into powerful Pokemon, and Abomasnow would be great if you like raw power. As for Roselia... They are special attackers but are delicate, sort of like a glass cannon as it's sometimes called." He replied, showcasing his knowledge of Pokemon from years of study. However, while he was knowledgable in Pokemon, he had a hard time actually applying that knowledge to a battle, as he handled stress rather poorly when alone. He hoped however, that going on an adventure with someone willing to put up with him could end up in him overcoming his unfortunate weakness. And maybe he could have helped as many people as he could along the way. It all started here, with this stranger outside of a ranch.