• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Dark Tournament

Should the NPC have shown Nightmares

• yes- more depth and environment

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • no-takes away from the pcs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know actually. Had to look up a screenshot of the game to even remember what it was. I wasn't really in the habit of bothering with the names of games back then. Something I sometimes regret nowadays. I have played the game, but not enough to know more than the basic mechanics.

Ah it turned to diamond.

and don't worry most of my childhood is a blur

So now back to our regularly scheduled program of darkness, pokemon violence, and murder.

oh and loz says hugs

Last edited:
Agreed. So how is combat gonna be handled exactly? Is Tepig gonna be making multi posts detailing move of enemy Pokemons, or do we just write stuff up and then he gives a seal of approval? Or maybe he gets separate conversations going planning out the move sequence? I've never done a Pokemon RP before, and with this whole move restriction thing it feels like a a table top system and I don't really know how to go about it.

Ummm. Heh I haven't really either. That's why I snagged Tepig to be mechanics st. I believe he will post the npc attacks and it will be post to post round based I think not entirely sure.

I'm just afraid that making it to game mechanicy with limited defined moves and a turn based system will take away from how dynamic and chaotic a good fight scene can be. I do like prefer a couple moves over simply all moves because it creates diversity and character for the Pokemon. But maybe not be too strict, I dunno. I'll just wait and see how it's gonna work and do my best with that.

It is not turn based, you can fire off multiple attacks on your turn. You can also dodge moves, counter them, and whatnot. I won't land any hits on your pokemon during my turn, but you may land some on the wild pokemon, since its is totally fair. Also, feel free to make up a little of what the wild pokemon does during your posts, because mine are just their direct retaliation to your first attacks. Also, wild battles won't be judged, only battles between two people. No one should die to the wild mons unless their owner wants to. Trainer battles are something different. This includes if you go up against one of Astral's characters, like the Mysterious Man, who, if your final score in judging is worse than, will kill you when he wins. So, I'm basically making a system of orderly chaos for wild battles. If it doesn't work, I'll take some suggestions on what to do instead.

Okay. I like the distinction between random encounters and proper fights. I'll try and implement as many of the special effects of attacks in the scenes as I can, but it has to make some sense to me.

So the way I understand it is; the wild Pokemon have been affected by a virus that makes them stronger, more savage, and relentless. That sounds a lot like berserker mode to me. Which is pretty awesome, don't get me wrong, but I do think they should therefor be less calculating than you're making them seem now TepigTurtwig. I feel they should be aggressive and careless and wanting to destroy everything they come across. So maybe less carefully picked out prey because the other Pokemons are dangerous, or task dividing teamwork, or strategic use of specific attack mechanics for maximum impact. You should save that for trained Pokemon. What do you think?

Since random encounters aren't supposed to win anyway, and won't be judged I think I'll just write down an entire fight scene next and squash that nasty bug.

Last edited:
These guys aren't going off strategy as much as instinct. It's in the instinct of a spinarak to form a web to catch its prey, and its in the instinct of this Sycther to strengthen his claws if they can't naturally cut through prey.

All this old people talk is really beginning to freak me out guys.
I'm just a young whippersnapper. Please don't hurt me.

Also, quick question, does Floyd's Starmie have to use a move to break the web, or can it just break it with it's rapidly spinning back appendages?

Last edited:
Whatever sounds the coolest and sorta makes sense I'd say. That's the philosophy I'm embracing for this at least.

Oh and you can't call us old people, there are ladies included. You should say 'aged'. ;)

PS: Almost done writing the Scyther encounter. I'm gonna have to give Salem a break after this though. He's not looking so well.

Also, quick question, does Floyd's Starmie have to use a move to break the web, or can it just break it with it's rapidly spinning back appendages?
I recommend you just break the web in whatever flows best. It would probably be better to just use the spinning apendages, so I would go with that.

Whatever sounds the coolest and sorta makes sense I'd say. That's the philosophy I'm embracing for this at least.

Oh and you can't call us old people, there are ladies included. You should say 'aged'. ;)

PS: Almost done writing the Scyther encounter. I'm gonna have to give Salem a break after this though. He's not looking so well.

Good idea, Scyther encounter will probably hurt.

Aged homo-sapiens. >:D

Last edited:
Okay, I have a couple questions. One for @TepigTurtwig and one for both him and @Astralkitsune .

Question for Tepig: In your battle point system post, you stated under "Fairness" no strong attacks, so no powerful stabs, but a shove would be okay. Can you elaborate more on what you mean?

Question for both: Who should start these encounters of the feral Pokemon? Is it up to us, or you two? I understand that you (Tepig) control the battle from their side, but I'm not sure who intializes it.

Also
Yeah I'm getting pretty lost in what they were saying. I heard MtG and DnD, both of which I know very little about...

Like, the only thing I know about MtG is the rare Black Lotus card. That's it, no clue how to play it, or the lore, just the valuable card :p

You initialize battles. Fairness means that you can't land something powerful on an enemy npc without giving the person playing that npc a chance to react. You can do a little, almost inconsequential damage if you want to elaborate a post.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
For what it's worth, the fairness thing is covered by our autoing rules. If my character wishes to attack yours, they must initiate the attack, but not describe its effects – in other words, I can swing a sword at someone, but I can't describe it cutting them. It's up to the player controlling that other character as to what exactly happens.

I described this in more detail in another post on the RP boards :)

For what it's worth, the fairness thing is covered by our autoing rules. If my character wishes to attack yours, they must initiate the attack, but not describe its effects – in other words, I can swing a sword at someone, but I can't describe it cutting them. It's up to the player controlling that other character as to what exactly happens.

I described this in more detail in another post on the RP boards :)
Oh gosh we're being monitored by admins!
I read those posts you guys pinned on top. Helpful stuff I found.
Are you enjoying the story?

Done and Dusted.
Well done! I have to say that I especially liked the similarities between Salem and Floyd at the end there. Both thinking it's only just the beginning. Was that intentional?

Oh gosh we're being monitored by admins!
I read those posts you guys pinned on top. Helpful stuff I found.
Are you enjoying the story?

Well done! I have to say that I especially liked the similarities between Salem and Floyd at the end there. Both thinking it's only just the beginning. Was that intentional?

Very intentional.

Mega Gallade X I need to clarify/rectify something. Are the trainer and his Pigeot that Damian saw getting eaten by Carnivine, Alex and Mavrik, the ones that challenged the hologram and got shot out of the sky? Because if that's the case their bodies were already discovered by Cassie and Akira, and Mavrik was, admittedly, still eaten by them. So I think you might have created some narrative inconsistencies. That, or I'm completely missing something and you found some other corpses.

No worries, everyone makes mistakes. I often forget details here and there from other players, but that's why I'm trying to get into the habit of always scanning a players previous post first before reading his/her latest entry. Maybe something to consider.

killing the wild pokemon is fine but a few things.

1. Ny and Nova you guys are doing great taking damage from the wild pokemon and making your post feel like your life is really in danger.

2. If you guys over power a few wild pokemon in 1on1 or even 2on 1 if they are low evo ok but remember one of the dangers is their numbers and that your pokemon are eventually going to get tired.

3. One of the concepts of this thread is that trainers must work together to survive. No one should be able to do this alone. Egos have to be put aside and close pairing rp and later group rp should be the goal. I would love to see one trainer who is already close to another come to their aid or even rescue.

4. pairs locked so far.
Cass and Shade,
Floyd and ?
Effret and ?
Mega and ?
Salem and (from the scream sound ) Aidinia
Burble and ?

also I will be throwing npcs in as well who may help or need help

pairs should not be close to each other for a little while.

any questions and thoughts are appreciated

oh and as for the wild pokemon yes they should be berserkers and not using smart tactics but at the same time they should surprise the trainers with their ferocity and be able to take more damage and throw off attacks that would normally knock them out.

I didn't want to rush things. I wanted to establish a sense of danger and dread first and that ended up making my posts already on the long side so I purposely didn't encounter anyone yet, but every one of you is free to stumble onto Salem if he/she so desires.

I don't know how big the jungle is, but I got the impression that there were a whole lot of trainers so I figured we wouldn't be too thinly spread (Although I expect a sizable portion of them to die within the first couple of hours, so it's very likely you'll see corpses and bloody trails and battlegrounds when you decide to wander around). That said, female screams can carry quite far. I don't know if the one that Salem heard was Aidinia's or some other NPC's. Either is possible so long as nothing is confirmed, thus both are true (just ask Schrodinger's Meowth). :\=|:

killing the wild pokemon is fine but a few things.

1. Ny and Nova you guys are doing great taking damage from the wild pokemon and making your post feel like your life is really in danger.

2. If you guys over power a few wild pokemon in 1on1 or even 2on 1 if they are low evo ok but remember one of the dangers is their numbers and that your pokemon are eventually going to get tired.

3. One of the concepts of this thread is that trainers must work together to survive. No one should be able to do this alone. Egos have to be put aside and close pairing rp and later group rp should be the goal. I would love to see one trainer who is already close to another come to their aid or even rescue.

4. pairs locked so far.
Cass and Shade,
Floyd and ?
Effret and ?
Mega and ?
Salem and (from the scream sound ) Aidinia
Burble and ?

also I will be throwing npcs in as well who may help or need help

pairs should not be close to each other for a little while.

any questions and thoughts are appreciated

oh and as for the wild pokemon yes they should be berserkers and not using smart tactics but at the same time they should surprise the trainers with their ferocity and be able to take more damage and throw off attacks that would normally knock them out.
When you say pairs shouldnt be close to one another do you mean characters or when two come together as a pair they shouldn't be close to others from that moment?

I think you shouldn't take that too seriously. It's just meant to prevent unlikely situations where all the Player Characters, out of all the trainers in the tournament, just so happen to all be in the same location. And the more PC's gather together, the more those that don't get isolated. And isolation just isn't fun in an RP.

Just making sure for my redone post because it's in the works but im hoping to use it to find another person then I read that and yeah I may have been overthinking it a little haha

Well I did mean pairs shouldn't be very close to other pcs at all without at least going through the first day. I have npcs to use so no one should be isolated. However if the players don't like that idea it can be changed

Trust me named npcs will not just be cannon fodder that goes down easy these guys are serious contenders.

Well I did mean pairs shouldn't be very close to other pcs at all without at least going through the first day. I have npcs to use so no one should be isolated. However if the players don't like that idea it can be changed

Trust me named npcs will not just be cannon fodder that goes down easy these guys are serious contenders.
Oh yeah Alex was a force to be reckoned with ;)